The Philosopher's Stone (A Ha...

By Resnica27

Life at the orphanage is all Ria has ever known. After her parents left her at the door when she was merely a... More

THE GIRL AT THE DOOR
CAT ON THE WATCH
THE LADY IN GREEN
COMING HOME
DIAGON ALLEY
A MONTH OF FREEDOM
JOURNEY FROM PLATFORN NINE AND THREE QUARTERS
THE SORTING HAT
MAGIC
THE BLONDY TRAP
FRIENDSHIPS
SNAPE
A CHRISTMAS SURPRISE
THE STONE AND A DRAGON
THE UNICORN SLAYER
HAGRID'S MISTAKE
FROGED IN FLAMES
ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL
Up Next
Putting A Face!!!
Awards

QUIDDITCH

57 9 4
By Resnica27

By breakfast next morning, the boys thought meeting the three-headed dog had been quite an adventure and we're eager to have another. Ria didn't much like this attitude.

"We could have all died, you guys realise that don't you?", she asked looking at the other two.

"But we didn't, right? So chill out!", Ron said munching at his toast.

"You're great, Ron, but I don't think I'll ever meet a bigger idiot", Ria said not knowing wether to laugh or frown.

"Oh stop sounding like Granger!"

"I do not sound anything like her. And honestly she does have a point. What's the use of going around looking for trouble? I mean, we basically walked into it last night and...."

"Ria, calm down.", Harry interrupted her. "I know we walked into danger. And I promise we wouldn't do it again unless necessary. Ok?"

"If you say so", Ria agreed with a sigh. But her complaints about risks all but evaporated when she saw Blondy's face. He gaped at them open-mouthed. Ria gave him a taunting smile.

In the coming week, Ria, Harry and Ron often sat down to discuss what could be in the grubby package that was most possible being guarded by a three-headed dog. But all they knew about the thing was that it was about two meters long and either very expensive or very dangerous or both. They had no way of guessing the content of the package without further clue. So Ria put it out of her mind and concentrated on her classes instead which were mostly quite interesting. She also had flying to occupy her. After getting over the first days fear, Ria had been growing more and more fond of flying. She had even arranged with Madam Hooch to led her a broom for an hour on her free Friday afternoons. She had been on the broom thrice and each time had been amazing. All she wanted now was a way to get back to Malfoy. So did Harry and Ron.

To the great delight of the three, just such a thing arrived in the mail next Friday.
  As the owls flooded into the Great Hall as usual, everyone's attention was caught at once by a long, thin package carried by six large screech owls. Ria was wondering who it was for when it came soaring towards them and landed on the table knocking Harry's bacon to the floor. Another owl dropped a letter on top of it.

Harry ripped open the letter and read through and then just sat their looking stunned. Ron snatched letter out of Harry's hand and Ria read it over his shoulder.

DO NOT OPEN THE PARCEL AT THE TABLE.
  It contains your new Nimbus Two Thousand, but I don't want everybody knowing you've got a broomstick or they'll all want one. Oliver Wood will meet you tonight on the Quidditch field at seven o'clock for your first training session.
  Professor McGonagall

"A Nimbus Two Thousand!" Ron moaned enviously. "I've never even touched one."

Ria would like to own a broomsticks of her own but she didn't understand what the fuss with the Nimbus was. But Ron was so excited that they left the hall quickly, wanting to unwrap the broomstick in private before their first class, but halfway across the entrance hall they found the way upstairs barred by Crabbe and Goyle. Malfoy seized the package from Harry and felt it.
  "That's a broomstick," he said, throwing it back to Harry with a mixture of jealousy and spite on his face. "You'll be in for it this time, Potter, first years aren't allowed them."

Ron couldn't resist it.

"It's not any old broomstick," he said, "it's a Nimbus Two Thousand. What did you say you've got at home, Malfoy, a Comet Two Sixty?" Ron grinned at Harry. "Comets look flashy, but they're not in the same league as the Nimbus."

"What would you know about it, Weasley, you couldn't afford half the handle," Malfoy snapped back. "I suppose you and your brothers have to save up twig by twig."

Before Ron could answer, Professor Flitwick appeared at Malfoy's elbow.

"Not arguing, I hope, boys?" he squeaked.

"Potter's been sent a broomstick, Professor," said Malfoy quickly.

"Yes, yes, that's right," said Professor Flitwick, beaming at Harry. "Professor McGonagall told me all about the special circumstances, Potter. And what model is it?"

"A Nimbus Two Thousand, sit," said Harry.
Ria was trying hard not to laugh at the look of horror on Malfoy's face.
"And it's really thanks to Malfoy here that I've got it," Harry added.

With that they went up the stairs laughing.

"Nice one, Harry", Ria said wiping her streaming eyes.

"Well, it's true," Harry chortled as they reached the top of the marble staircase, "If he hadn't stolen Neville's Remembrall I wouln't be on the team...."

"So I suppose you think that's a reward for breaking rules?" came an angry voice from just behind them. Hermione was stomping up the stairs, looking disapprovingly at the package in Harry's hand.

"I thought you weren't speaking to us?" said Harry.

"Yes, don't stop now," said Ron, "it's doing us so much good."

Hermione marched away with her nose in the air.

"She is the most irritating person I have ever met in my entire life", Ria said looking after her. "And that's including Blondy."

Ron burst out laughing again.

For the rest of the day Ria could see that Harry wasn't paying much attention to the lessons.
At Five thirty, the sat in the boy's dormitory, Ron unwrapping the package. The other boys weren't back yet.

"Wow," Ron sighed as the broomstick rolled onto the floor.
Sleek and shiny, with a mahogany handle, it had a long tail of neat, straight twigs and Nimbus Two Thousand written in gold near the top. It looked beautiful and on touching it, Ria felt a pleasant wave of magic through her.

"It's amazing", she whispered.

Harry took the broomstick and walked downstairs. Ria followed him. Half way down, a though struck her.
Back in the dormitory Ria turned to Harry.

"You think I could come with you?"

"Where?", Harry asked looking bewildered.

"To the Quidditch pitch. I want to see it. I don't think Wood'll mind. I promise to stay out of your way."

"Yeah sure." Harry said with a surge. And so together, they made their way out of the castle.

The Quidditch pitch was huge. Hundreds of seats were raised in steps around the field. The grass was lush green and perfectly even. On either ends were three golden poles with hoops in their ends. Wind blew strongly in the vast open space.

Wood wasn't there yet.
"Why don't you try the broom out?", Ria said to Harry with a smile. He was rocking on the balls of his feet, itching to go up in the air.
At the suggestion, Harry gave Ria a sheepish sort of smile and mounting his broom, shot up in the air.

Ria sat down on the ground spreading her legs in front. She wove her fingers in the soft grass and watched Harry zooming about on the broomstick, while the wind played with her hair.

"Greystone!", said a voice behind her. Ria turned her head and spotting Wood, got back on her feet. He had a large wooden crate which he placed on the ground.

"Hey, Oliver"

"What are you doing here?" Wood sounded confused but not disapproving.

"I just came to watch", Ria said with a shruge.

Wood watched Harry for a while and then called out.
"Hey, Potter, come down!"

Harry landed next to them.

"Very nice," said Wood. He looked extremely happy. "I see what McGonagall meant... you really are a natural. I'm just going to teach you the rules this evening, then you'll be joining team practice three times a week."

Then he turned to Ria. "Know anything about Quidditch?"

"Not much", Ria said.

"You could stay to hear the rules, if you want"

"Yeah sure!", Ria said with a smile and backing up a few steps, sat back down on the grass.

Oliver opened the crate. Inside were four balls. A big red one, two black ones which seemed to be straining against the straps locking them in and a little golden ball which Ria found quite attractive.

"Right," said Wood turning to Harry. "Now, Quidditch is easy enough to understand, even if it's not too easy to play. There are seven players on each side. Three of them are called Chasers."

"Three Chasers," Harry repeated, as Wood took out the red ball.

"This ball's called the Quaffle," Wood continued. "The Chasers throw the Quaffle to each other and try and get it through one of the hoops to score a goal. Ten points every time the Quaffle goes through one of the hoops. Follow me?"

"The Chasers throw the Quaffle and put it through the hoops to score," Harry recited. "So -- that's sort of like basketball on broomsticks with six hoops, isn't it?"

"What's basketball?" said Wood curiously.

"Never mind," said Harry quickly. Ria gave a silent little laugh.

"Now, there's another player on each side who's called the Keeper -I'm Keeper for Gryffindor. I have to fly around our hoops and stop the other team from scoring."

"Three Chasers, one Keeper," said Harry, "And they play with the Quaffle. Okay, got that. So what are they for?" He pointed at the three remaining balls.

"I'll show you now," said Wood. "Take this."

He handed Harry a small club, a bit like a short baseball bat.

"I'm going to show you what the Bludgers do," Wood said. "These two are the Bludgers." He pointed at the two black balls.

"Stand back," Wood warned Harry. He bent down and freed one of the Bludgers.

At once, the black ball rose high in the air and then pelted straight at Harry's face. Harry swung at it with the bat and sent it zigzagging away into the air. It zoomed around for a while and then shot straight at Ria. She dived out of the way just it time and the ball hit the ground with a crash exactly where she'd been a second ago. Rolling over and getting back to her feet, she saw Wood dive on the ball and struggle it back into the straps.

"That was close", Wood said panting. "You've got good reflex", he said to Ria looking at her critically. Then he turned to Harry again.

"The Bludgers rocket around, trying to knock players off their brooms. That's why you have two Beaters on each team -- the Weasley twins are ours -- it's their job to protect their side from the Bludgers and try and knock them toward the other team. So -- think you've got all that?"

"Three Chasers try and score with the Quaffle; the Keeper guards the goal posts; the Beaters keep the Bludgers away from their team," Harry reeled off.

"Very good," said Wood.

"Er -- have the Bludgers ever killed anyone?" Harry asked, trying to sound offhanded. Ria wouldn't have been surprised if they did.

"Never at Hogwarts. We've had a couple of broken jaws but nothing worse than that. Now, the last member of the team is the Seeker. That's you. And you don't have to worry about the Quaffle or the Bludgers..."

"...unless they crack my head open", Harry added.

"Don't worry, the Weasleys are more than a match for the Bludgers -- I mean, they're like a pair of human Bludgers themselves."

Wood reached into the cart and took out the golden ball. Once in his hand, it spread out two tiny silver fluttering wings.

"This," said Wood, "is the Golden Snitch, and it's the most important ball of the lot. It's very hard to catch because it's so fast and difficult to see. It's the Seeker's job to catch it. You've got to weave in and out of the Chasers, Beaters, Bludgers, and Quaffle to get it before the other team's Seeker, because whichever Seeker catches the Snitch wins his team an extra hundred and fifty points, so they nearly always win. That's why Seekers get fouled so much. A game of Quidditch only ends when the Snitch is caught, so it can go on for ages -- I think the record is three months, they had to keep bringing on substitutes so the players could get some sleep. Well, that's it -- any questions?"

Harry shook his head.

"We won't practice with the Snitch yet," said Wood, carefully shutting it back inside the crate, "it's too dark, we might lose it. Let's try you out with a few of these."

He pulled a bag of ordinary golf balls out of his pocket and a few minutes later, he and Harry were up in the air, Wood throwing the golf balls as hard as he could in every direction for Harry to catch. Harry dived and severed and caught each and every one of them. By the time they got back to the ground, Ria was smiling broadly. Wood looked overjoyed as well.

"That Quidditch cup'll have our name on it this year," he said happily. "I wouldn't be surprised if you turn out better than Charlie Weasley, and he could have played for England if he hadn't gone off chasing dragons."

Then he turned to Ria.
"Wanna give it a try?", he asked indicating his broom. "The Weasley said you're really good. Apparently they were watching the first years after having given Quirrell the slip" Wood said with a smirk.

"I like flying", Ria said with a surge. "I don't know about the good part though. I've never been a part of any sports before"

"Well, we'll see that I guess"

Wood handed her the broom. It was a Commet two sixty. Ria mounted the broom and then she was off. The wind rushed through her hair fiercely. She felt light, weightless, as if nothing in the world could go wrong. It was amazing and exhilarating.

Ria turned and saw Wood beside her on one of the old school brooms. He had the Quaffle under his arms. Harry was back in the air as well.

"Thought we'd try something" Wood said and threw the Quaffle at her without warning. She caught it and raised an eyebrow at him.

"Try and get past us to the opposite end and score. We will try and block you. Or knock the Quaffle out of your hand.", Wood said.

The hoops were directly opposite at the far end of the field. Ria did not reply. She shot at the boys,ducked under Wood's arm and made for the hoops. But Harry's broom was faster. Before she could get the Quaffle through, he was there blocking the hoops. A moment's thought and then Ria shot straight for the right one. Harry severed to the right to stop her and she threw the Quaffle clean through the hoop in the centre.

"How do you know about the diversion tactic?", Wood asked once they were back on the ground sounding a slight bit amazed.

"They use it in all the games that involve scoring goals", Ria said with a surge. "Even in the Muggle world"

Wood stared at her for a few seconds and then went off muttering.
"Practice at 5:30 Monday", he called. " Don't be late."

"What was that all about?", Ria asked Harry as they made their way back to the castle.

"My guess is as good as yours." he replied. "But you are good. That was a clever move."

"It's not very uncommon. They use it everywhere. Basketball, Football, even Hockey"

"I thought you said you've never played any sport?"

"Well...yeah I haven't"

"Then how do you know about basketball and all"

Ria started laughing.

"Harry, I lived in an orphanage. Not under a rock! I know what basketball is!"

"Yeah well...ok...but that still doesn't explain how you know about diversion tactic."

"I read about it", Ria said with a surge.

"And now you sound like Hermione" Harry said with a bemused smile.

"Oh shut up!", Ria rolled her eyes. " I had read about it and decided to give it a try. You fell for it."

"You're good"

"Thanks", Ria said with a bright smile. Good or not, she had definitely enjoyed it.

The next few weeks passed in a blur. Their lessons were getting extremely interesting. Mrs. Haans sent quite a few more letters after the first. Each contained notes from one or other of the kids and Ria wrote back to them putting in everything she could convert into Muggle version (which ment she had to leave out her adventure because there simply wasn't a muggle version to a giant three-headed dog).
She was still practicing flying with Madam Hooch. Once they were done with the basics of flying, the class became optional. Madam Hooch started teaching them Quidditch and those who weren't interested were allowed to give up the class.

Dean, Seamus, and Ron continued with Ria. Luckily no one from Slytherin signed up. After a few weeks they were all aware of what they were best at. Dean Seamus and Ria were all best at chasing. Ron on the other hand had a flair for keeping. They practiced three days a week for month and then Madam Hooch declared them ready. Harry, meanwhile, was training with the Quidditch team and they were all gushing over how good he was.

A few weeks before Halloween Harry came back from training one Wednesday and pulled Ria aside. Ron was busy arguing with Dean about football again.

"Wood told me to invite you to training this Friday", he told Ria.

"Why?", Ria asked looking bewildered.

"I don't know....he told me to tell you and bring you along and not to tell anybody else", Harry said casting a worried look over Ria's shoulder towards Ron. He hadn't notice Harry yet.

"Ok I'll come" Ria said. If it ment there might be a chance she would fly again, she was all for it.

So that Friday, after Herbology, they changed and headed to the Quidditch pitch together.

The rest of the team was already gathered in the field when Ria arrived with Harry.

"Hey, Greystone! Doing ok?", Wood greeted Ria as she approached.

"Yeah sure", Ria said uncertainly.

"Hello Aubrianna-who-prefers-Ria!" said Fred (or George).
"We are so surprised to see you here!"

"Yes, yes", said the other. "We had absolutely no idea you were coming" he added smirking.

Ria was too confused to think about lashing back with something witty like she'd been doing every time the twins tried to taunt her. It was fun bickering with them. But today she wasn't paying attention.

"Don't mind them" said a girl with dark skin and long black hair. She looked quite a few years older.
"Hi, I'm Angelina Johnson. Chaser" she said extending a hand. Ria shook it.
"Katie Bell" said another girl. She was fair with a sweet smile. "Chaser as well". Ria shook her hand as well.
Now another girl stepped in. She was clearly the oldest of the group.
"Alicia Snippet", she said to her with a big smile shaking her hand.

"Well..", said Wood. "Why don't you sit and watch the game? Thought you'd like to see."

"I'd love to", Ria said with a smile and went and sat in the stands. Watching the game was amazing and Ria soon forgot her confusion over the sudden invitation. The players were all really good and although Ria had no idea how the other teams played, she was certain they had a good chance of winnig the Quidditch cup that year.

Half hour later Wood called them to the ground. Ria got down and went up to them.
"I've got to go now", Alicia was saying, "or Snape'll have me in detention for a month" she finished with a grimace.
"Goodbye" she said to them and left the stadium.

"And this is where you come in", Wood said turning to Ria. "I was hoping you'd take her place for the rest of the training so that we don't have to cut it short"

Ria just stared blankly at Wood for a while.
"You could say no of course...only if you want....." Wood started.

"Are you kidding?", Ria exclaimed.
"Of course I want to play! But I hardly think I'll be any good."

"Do not try to be modest, Miss", said George (or Fred).
"Yeah", said the other. "We've seen you playing Chaser at the practice"

"And you could give any of the girls a run for their money.", added the first.

"C'mon", said Harry placing a hand on her shoulder. "You can do this" he added with a smile.

Ria smiled back at him and picked up the broom Alicia had left behind.

An hour later, Ria walked back to the castle with Harry, windswept and aching but extremely happy. It had taken her a while to get the hang of coordinating with Angelina and Katie and to recognise the whoosh of a Bludger coming her way. She had been hit twice as a result after which she learnt to keep half a mind at the shooting black balls. By the time they finished, she had managed to score five times. The team was elated (although Ria didn't quite understand why) and so was she.
On the way back, they decided it was best not to tell Dean or Seamus about this particular event. According to Wood he had told Harry to bring her as the Weasley twins said she was the best of the three. But Ria did not want any bad blood in the house.

When they returned, the common room was packed with people as usual. Making Sure that the other three boys were there, Ria dragged Ron up to the boys dormitory with Harry following her. There she told him about the training.

"Lucky you...", said Ron. He looked a bit disappointed but at least he wasn't mad. "I wish Wood would get detention. Then I could go and play keeper. Do you think we could get fred and George to land him in detention?"
At this they all had a good laugh.

"Yeah, well, if Fred and George saw our practice, then I am not startled that they told Wood to invite you. You outshine Dean and Seamus all the time."
Ria just shruged. She knew she was good but this situation was unlikely to arise again and she was sure that was the only time she would get to play in the team. So she told the other two to not make a fuse about it and herself put the matter to a rest after a few days.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65.6K 2.4K 35
"𝐀𝐫𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐟𝐚𝐥𝐥𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐢𝐧 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐰𝐢𝐭𝐡 𝐡𝐞𝐫, 𝐇𝐚𝐫𝐫𝐲?" "𝐘𝐞𝐚𝐡, 𝐈 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐧𝐤 𝐈 𝐚𝐦." ---- 9¾ ⚯͛ ---- "What's your name?" "(Y...
183K 4.3K 64
(Y/n) Riddle, thought going to Hogwarts would be great, but it'll prove to be drama filling and dangerous. With Voldemort, family secrets, and prophe...
250 25 16
Hermione was born with abilities inherited from an ancient bloodline, or two. Her eleventh birthday passes without the owl meant to deliver her Hogwa...
708 81 18
Life couldn't be better for Ria. Hogwarts seemd to be the key that unlocked every good thing for her. But Mysteries are on the brew even befor the fo...