Dark to Baby: A Changjin Story

By funmady1996

Why does Felix always bring out the best in Changbin and why can't he be that way with me? -Hyunjin Note: th... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Epilogue

Chapter 13

329 17 3
By funmady1996

Hyunjin was speechless.

The amount of information Chan had told him in just two minutes was astonishing and completely heartbreaking.

His mind mulled over Felix's story as Chan continued to speak.

"Now he's alone since his brothers are in college, but they made him promise that he would protect their mother. Not that she needs protecting though, 'cause his dad's like never home and when he is he just uses Felix as something to punch and hurl insults at." Only then did Chan notice Hyunjin's pale face.

"Are you okay?" Hyunjin swallowed harshly, trying to calm his swirling stomach, "If it's too much, we can stop." Chan reassured as he reached out and rubbed a few circles on Hyunjin's back.

"Wait right here." And Chan was gone.

Hyunjin lifted his legs onto the couch and snuggled sideways into the leather to try and get a little comfort from the cold material. All he could hear were his wild thoughts and Jisung's pencil furiously writing down ideas.

He didn't know why this was hitting him so hard. He had seen the damage, even the one responsible, but hearing Chan confirm his suspicions was like a punch in the gut.

"Here."

Hyunjin looked at the glass of water, then Chan's face and mumbled a small 'thanks' as he took the glass.

They sat in silence for a few minutes. Both boys staring off into space, listening to Jisung hum a tune every now and then. Chan reached his hand over and massaged Hyunjin's shoulder.

"Feeling better?" Hyunjin nodded slightly, still lost in thought, "I promise the rest isn't as bad."

"How do you stop yourself from taking him home every day and cuddling him to death?" Chan directed a sad smile to the floor.

"I wish, but his responsibility to his family is too strong. He won't leave until he knows they're safe."

"He's the one that's not safe!" Hyunjin waved around his glass as water sloshed out, getting his socks wet. He quickly rubbed at his socks like it was going to help and placed the glass on the coffee table in front of them.

"I know, I know, and the school's trying, but apparently they need more evidence before they can file anything."

"Are his bruises not enough!?!" Hyunjin's raised voice startled Jisung, earning them a look of confusion. Chan waved him away with a smile before responding.

"Unfortunately Felix's dad isn't dumb and he's very good at lying. That's probably where Felix got it from."

"What, so we're just gonna wait until he beats him to death or something?"

"They were gonna send him with a camera, but Felix refused."

"Why?"

"Don't know, something about his father finding out."

"Sounds to me like he's avoiding evidence." Chan's head hit the back of the couch.

"Yeah, I thought so too, but I think he's just scared," His head rolled so he was facing Hyunjin, "wouldn't you be?"

"I don't know, I guess. I don't have a dad, let alone an abusive one." Hyunjin shrugged as Chan's eyes widened.

"Oh, sorry! I didn't know!" A laugh erupted from Hyunjin's lips.

"He doesn't even know I exist."

"You're mom never told him?"

"Nah. One night stand. She doesn't even remember his name." Hyunjin laughed at Chan's wide eyes. Chan cleared his throat and turned his head back to the ceiling.

"Wow, um, okay then."

"So is there anything else I need to know?" Hyunjin leaned back and placed his head on the arm of the couch so he was also staring at the ceiling.

"Um, well, you know about the breakdowns. Felix is sensitive about anything related to his family, so just don't bring any of this up with him unless he talks about it first 'cause it might trigger something. Not like it really has anything to do with the abuse, he just wants to look normal in front of people who don't know. Oh! And don't touch his phone. It's his constant, it makes him feel safe. And uh... he's actually smart and serious, so don't worry if he acts like that. It just means that he trusts you. You should be more worried if he's acting overly happy. Like, tell someone, please, 'cause that's how he copes and it could mean something bad."

Hyunjin puffed out his cheeks at all the new information. In a way, it was intimidating to be Felix's friend. He really didn't want to mess up.

"Hey Channie Chan? Are you actually gonna let me eat all these cookies?" Jisung called out, making the two jerk their heads up in surprise, "also, what are you talking about? 'Cause you're acting like someone died." Jisung still had his headphones on, so his voice was raised way above a normal volume, making Hyunjin grimace.

"No one's dead, Ji, we're fine," Chan chose to change the topic, "you almost done?"

"Yeah! Wanna hear what I have so far?" Jisung's eyes lit up as he unplugged the headphones and picked up the notebook.

"Go for it!" Chan and Hyunjin readjusted so their full attention was on Jisung.

"Okay, here goes!" Jisung pushed the spacebar on the computer and soon the air was filled with synth sounds and trap drums. The track was completely different from the one Chan had made for class, but Hyunjin still liked it. After a standard intro, the track paused, signaling for Jisung to start. Hyunjin wasn't sure what he expected, but a fast rap was not it.

Wow. Hyunjin leaned back onto the couch with his mouth hanging open. It never seemed to stop. How did he come up with all that in fifteen minutes?

Then the chorus hit. Hyunjin couldn't help but close his eyes. Jisung's singing voice was somehow more impressive than his rapping, and Hyunjin's body naturally began to sway to the sound. Jisung's used every aspect of his voice from his gravel tone to his angelic falsetto and the variety of sounds added immensely to the aural art.

The second verse was different, rapping still, but new rhythms. Chan's track had changed as well, so the pairing worked together. Hyunjin was entranced and was finding no escape as the chorus returned.

Click.

The sound was sucked from the room in an instant when Jisung abruptly hit the spacebar again right before the bridge.

"So? Whatcha think?" The tension released from Hyunjin's body as he dared to open his eyes.

"I expected no less from the lyrical genius, Han Jisung." Jisung shyly put the notebook down as he smiled at Chan's compliment.

"So...I can eat the rest of the cookies?" Jisung stared longingly at the last few cookies on the plate, but was disappointed when they were snatched from his sight, "hey!"

"Don't 'hey' me! You know what you're like on a sugar high and dinner is in only an hour." Jisung stuck his bottom lip out.

"But I'm your lyrical genius!"

"I'm tempted to call you something else."

"And I've been tempted to call Minho this whole time, but I spared you." Chan bowed slightly.

"Oh gracious one, thank you for sparing us," Jisung giggled, "but it still doesn't earn you a cookie."

Jisung watched in dismay as Chan handed the plate to Hyunjin, mumbling what seemed like an insult under his breath. Chan raised an eyebrow while Hyunjin finally got the chance to enjoy the baked delicacy, a satisfied sound escaping his lips. Chan chuckled at the reaction and grabbed a cookie for himself.

"What are you going to do for the bridge?" Chan glanced at Jisung's notebook, only to find a few adjectives written down. He directed his gaze back to the boy that was still pouting, arms across his chest in defiance. "Oh, come on! It's not that big a deal. You've already had like ten!"

Jisung's arms just hugged his body more, causing Hyunjin to giggle. Weirdly, the sound broke Jisung out of his mood as he squealed like someone had just poked his sides unexpectedly.

"Dang, dude! How do you do that? It's like extremely cute." Hyunjin's eyes met the floor as he tugged on his jacket, "scratch that, everything about you is cute."

Hyunjin avoided eye contact as Chan laughed at him.

"Jisung, stop." He bumped Jisung's chair with his hip while Jisung clung tightly to the desk to stop himself from flying across the room, "I'm gonna go get the stools from the booth so we can help you, be back in a second." Jisung nodded and turned his attention back to his notebook, leaving Hyunjin to continue his staring contest with the floor.

"What do you think about-" Hyunjin's phone made a cute animal-like sound, cutting Jisung off.

"Who is texting me?" Jeongin knew he was out and none of his other friends had his number yet.

"I don't know, dude. Why are you asking me?" Jisung looked over in curiosity as Hyunjin pulled the device from his pocket.

"Oh no! I've got to go! See you tomorrow!" Chan, who had just exited the booth, looked up in surprise and dropped the stools he was holding. Hyunjin rushed around the room, picking up things here and there as Jisung watched in confusion. After confirming that he had everything, Hyunjin ran down the stairs into Chan's bedroom.

"Hyunjin, wait! Where are you going?" Chan ran after Hyunjin as Jisung stood at the top of the stairs, watching.

"My mom, she needs me home!" Hyunjin frantically left the room, found the stairs, and took them two at a time.

"At least let me take you home, it'll be faster." Chan said between heavy breaths as he found Hyunjin sitting by the front door putting on his shoes without untying his laces.

"You don't have to do that, I'll be fine."

"Mom! I'm taking Hyunjin home!" Chan called out as he also pulled on his shoes, ignoring Hyunjin's protests.

"Oh? He's not staying for dinner?" The woman walked around the corner, Jisung casually by her side.

"Sorry, duty calls." Hyunjin smiled, attempting to mask his urgency.

"Alright, well make sure to stay next time. Drive safe!" She patted Hyunjin's shoulder and left a light kiss on Chan's head before shooing them off.

"Thanks, Mom! I'll be back in a little bit, Ji!" Jisung waved back nonchalantly, turning before they could even get out the door, presumably going to call Minho.

"You didn't have to drive me home."

"Hyunjin, you've only been here like a week. I'm not risking you getting lost." Chan replied, punching Hyunjin's address into his GPS.

"Not sure if that's an insult or not, but thanks anyway." Chan laughed a little as a robotic voice began to give them directions.

"No problem. Now onwards my trusty steed!" And they were off.

________________________________________________________________________________

The contrast between Phobia's cute lyrics and intense musical interpretation is kinda the best thing ever.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

166K 7.6K 26
"and you are..?" ©️injuwun 2017 a changbin fanfic. all rights reserved.
312K 14.3K 88
In which, Minho is sent to the country in hopes of changing his immature nature. Only he didn't think the boy he lived with would be his fixer. {83 c...
107K 4.6K 26
Seungmin was never the best when it came to dealing with his feelings. Hyunjin on the other hand, knew exactly what he wanted. What happens when thes...
16.4K 988 52
Felix finally enrolled in a university after a gap year and gained himself a new friend from the next tower. The English student, Hyunjin, soon enoug...