Fire On Fire (#Wattys2019)

By KyllieMagnol

Book 1 of the "Doctor series" ******************* "Do you know playing with fire is really dangerous? You are... More

Prologue
Chapter-1
Chapter-2
Chapter-3
Chapter-4
Chapter-5
Chapter-6
Chapter-7
Chapter-8
Chapter-9
Chapter- 10
Chapter-11
Chapter-12
Chapter- 13
Chapter- 14
Chapter-15
Chapter-16
Chapter-17

Chapter-18

150 5 0
By KyllieMagnol

I sat in the passenger's seat as we talked, hair blowing softly around my face, gazing out into the night sky as we sped back towards the city. As the wind gently caressed my face, I felt my eyes getting heavier and my body drooping, before I faintly registered him taking my left hand in his right one.

"Sleep," he murmured. "I'll wake you up when we reach home."

I let my body relax back into the leather and closed my eyes. In my stupor I lost track of time, but it could not have been more than ten minutes before I heard a low snicker from the seat beside me.

"What?" I groaned, trying to open my eyes as I turned to him. "Why can't I have even five minutes of peace whenever you're around?"

"You were snoring like a bear," he replied smugly. "It's kind of cute."

"I was not," I mumbled sleepily. "Ass."

He grinned at me before turning his gaze back to the road. I let my eyes linger, my gaze travelling up from his collarbone to his face, admiring the blue of his eyes that contrasted so sharply against his black hair.

"Let me know when you're done, creeper," his playful voice snapped me out of my reverie and I scowled at him, wanting to smack that smug smile off his face. He looked at me again, his expression changing to one of guilt. "I'm sorry about tonight. You're tired, we should have done this some other day."

"No." I tugged his hand closer and kissed his knuckle softly. "I really enjoyed tonight. I barely even knew much about you before."

"And I still don't. So," he raised an eyebrow as he looked at me. "Tell me your story."

"There's nothing exotic to know, really," I replied. "I had a fairly normal childhood. Born and raised in London, I was the younger of two siblings. My mom and sister are doctors too, dad's a physicist." I grimaced. "I was quite awkward growing up, though. Introverted, tall, gangly, with braces and acne."

His lips curled into a small smile. "I don't believe you."

I shrugged. "I'll show you a photo someday. I was a real nerd. I wasn't good at making new friends either, I've known Meg, Kim and Jason since I was a kid so I just hung around them."

"The douche from the party."

"Yeah, Jason," I said. "We grew up together, went to the same middle school and high school. He studied law, though."

Sebastian nodded absently. "What are you going to do about him? He's been trailing behind you like a puppy ever since he came back to London."

"I really don't know," I sighed. "It has felt really good to tell him off every time he's approached me, but no matter how tough I'm trying to be, he is my oldest friend and I miss him."

"He showed up out of nowhere and tried to kiss you."

"Yeah," I said wearily. As I turned to face him again, it was easy to make out the annoyed expression on his face.

"Hey," I ventured carefully. "Back at the party, when you said you'll take care of him-"

"I'm not going to kill him Natasha, relax," he rolled his eyes. "Not for now, at least. But if he tries something again, I make no promises."

I raised an eyebrow. "Slow down. We've been on one date, you and I. I don't need you to sort out my problems, Sebastian."

He looked at me incredulously. "You think I'll stand and watch as he tries to get his hands on you?"

"He'll do no such thing," I replied. "And even if he does, I'll kick him so hard in the balls he won't be able to walk for a week. Look, you might have annoyed me into going on a date with you, but I've known you for all of two seconds. I appreciate your concern, but this is not that big a deal. Whatever comes up, I can handle it."

His voice turned dangerously quiet. "You appreciate my concern?"

My phone rang, it's shrill ring cutting through the air, saving me from answering. I stole a glance at his face as I reached into my pocket. His expression had hardened, and his jaw was clenched as he drove.

"Hey, Kim," I answered. "I'm reaching home in five minutes. Go to sleep, I'll let myself in."

"Yeah, about that, I don't think it's a good idea," Kim replied. "There are a bunch of media vans parked outside."

"Dude, come on, seriously? It's three in the morning," I groaned. "I've been getting calls from unknown numbers all night too. I didn't pick up, but it's probably press guys asking for a comment."

"What are you going to do?" Kim asked.

I opened my mouth to reply, but before I knew it, my phone had been swooped out of my hand. I whipped my head to look at Sebastian, who looked anything but apologetic as he held it just out of my reach and spoke.

"She'll stay at my place tonight."

I gaped at him in disbelief. "Give it back," I hissed, lunging at him unsuccessfully.

"Uh, sure," Kim said slowly. "If that's what you guys want."

"Sebastian," I raised my voice. "Give me my phone."

"I'll drop her at the hospital first thing in the morning," he continued speaking, ignoring me completely.

"All right, yeah," I heard Kim say.

She hung up, but not before I heard Meg screech, "Get some, girl!" from behind her.

My hands clenched into fists as I shook with anger, unable to believe what had just taken place.

"Oh, my god," I seethed. "The balls on you."

He scoffed. "Don't be overdramatic. I'm just saving you a lot of trouble."

"No, you're not," I shot back. "I could have snuck in. Or ignored them. Or done a million other things. That's beside the point. The point is that, for the life of me, I cannot believe you have the audacity to think that five minutes of dating gives you the right to make my decisions for me."

"It's not my fault you refuse to listen to me, cara mia," he replied calmly.

"Of course I don't listen to you, I'm my own person, not your finger puppet," I snapped back.

He hit the breaks suddenly, making me fly forward into the embrace of my belt as we slowed down. Pulling over, he turned off the ignition before turning to me, an obvious look of annoyance spread across his face. He opened his mouth and I steeled myself, ready to fire back, but then he sighed, leaning back against the leather as he ran a hand through his hair. Inspite of the situation I genuinely found myself wondering how he hadn't gone quite bald by now, considering how frequent this habit of his was.

His head rested against the seat, he closed his eyes and breathed, and I watched him curiously as he stayed like that for a couple of seconds, before opening them and turning to me. Looking slightly less peeved than before, he leant forward to undo my seatbelt, before snaking an arm around my waist, pulling me to him. Despite still being highly irritated, my fingers found their way into his hair as his other hand brushed the stray strands out of my face. His expression softened, and he leaned in for a kiss.

I hardly had a moment to react as our lips met, his warm ones gently pressing against mine, before he pulled away. I could still taste tonight's coffee on him, the taste rolling off my tongue, but I didn't get much time to savour it. He leaned in for another quick kiss before resting his forehead against mine, our noses touching.

"Why are you always so stubborn, hm?" he whispered. I breathed him in as he exhaled, and I let go of his hair, wrapping my arms around his neck.

"Do you know why we can't sit through five minutes of conversation without biting each others' heads off?" I murmured as I tilted my head, pressing my lips to his jaw.

His grip on my waist tightened. "Why is that, cara mia?" he asks, his voice low.

I sighed and pulled away, straightening my back as I did, "Because you do not trust my capability to make informed decisions. And so you take the liberty to make them on your own." I shook my head slightly. "I cannot give up that control, Sebastian. Nobody should. And when you're wrenching it from me, you might as well be trying to degrade my intelligence, because in that moment you do not think of me as capable enough to be the judge of what is best for me."

He studied me quietly, his gaze almost curious as his piercing blue eyes met my own.

"That was never my intention," he replied.

"I know," I said tiredly. "But you do it all the same. You drag me to your office and to meet your relatives and to fundraisers and to your house and whatnot, assuming that I'd be alright with it. And did I mention you've kidnapped me twice this month?"

"That's an overstatement," he answered, the annoyed expression returning for a split second. "If going back home is not the best option, I can't ask you to stay at my place?"

"You didn't ask," I shook my head gently. "That's the whole problem."

I expected a sharp reply, but he stayed quiet, his gaze steady as he looked at me, and to my surprise, he reached forward, taking both my hands in one of his, the other moving a stray strand of hair out of my face.

"Okay," he said gently, before leaning in, grabbing my waist to pull me closer. "Okay. Natasha, do you want to stay at my place tonight?"

My eyes widened. "You're really asking me?"

"Mm-hmm."

I smirked. "And what if I say no?"

"Then I'll drop you off wherever you want, and call you tomorrow."

"Wait, really?" I asked incredulously.

"Really," he nodded. "You're right, I haven't known you for long. But you're really something else, and I don't want to drive you off. The last thing I want is for you to think I'm forcing you. So," he said, his fingers gently stroking mine, "do you want to come over tonight?"

I laughed softly at his words. "I'd love that," I whispered, pressing a small kiss against his lips.

"Good." His hands came up to my face, gently stroking my skin. "I really like you, cara mia," he murmured.

Grabbing the collar of his shirt, I tugged him even closer, closing the distance between us.

"I really like you too."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 59.5K 53
✧ ೃ༄*ੈ✩ 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐡𝐢𝐜𝐡 𝐭𝐰𝐨 𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐭 𝐬𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐬 𝐟𝐢𝐧𝐝 𝐡𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐢𝐧 𝐞𝐚𝐜𝐡 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫. ..⃗. ☁️ 𝐒𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐝 𝐧𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐚𝐬𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐚 𝐬𝐩...
665K 30K 42
'Do you know why you are suspended from ceiling krasivaya?' he whispers in my ears and wipes the sweat dripping from my neck due to the trepidation a...
779K 18.3K 17
"How dare you!!" His stare and cold voice made me step back with fear scared of what he will do "You clumsy woman!! Keep those disgusting hands of yo...
850K 33.1K 62
DISCRETION SERIES - Stand Alone - BOOK #5 ♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎ " I only trust you, Tesoro.. " He muttered once again, not budging when I tried to pull...