LIGHT-YEARS AWAY (Data x Read...

By RoseLilyQuill

Home to you was always on the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701) with your closest friend, Dr.Mccoy, and captain James... More

Pre-Word
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Announcement

Chapter One

2K 67 17
By RoseLilyQuill

You opened your eyes to another beautiful day, or maybe it wasn't beautiful, it's space so it's not like the weather really determines this stuff. It's more that you were feeling rather optimistic. One of those rare days where you open your eyes and your first thought isn't wishing you could go back to sleep. Sensors in your room noticed your movement and the lights turned on to their daytime brightness. You pulled your feet to the floor and went to go shower and do your makeup, in full Earth 1960's manor (including organizing your hair how you liked it). Last but not least you pulled on a short blue dress, some thin black tights, and black knee-high boots. 

 You left your room and hummed as you walked down the Enterprise corridors and made your way to the sickbay, not bothering to knock as you walked in. You were happy to see there was only one person in sickbay at the time. 

Dr. Mccoy was shuffling things around and making sure everything was in optimal condition for the day. He didn't even bother look up to know it was you.

"Don't you ever knock girl?" he asked in his annoyed Southern accent. 

"Why bother when you know it's always me?" You said smiling. 

He now looked at you and you saw he too was trying not to smile. "And what accounts for your visit this morning?" 

"Same thing as usual." You said as you made your way over to the food replicator and ordered two coffees and pieces of toast, you handed them to him. 

"Lucky me." He said as he sat down on one of the beds and sipped his coffee. You sat across from him and did the same. You weren't sure when this had become a habit of spending breakfast with him, but you guessed it must have been about a year now.  Thankfully Dr.Mccoy was always up before his shift started, trying to organize the medical unit. It was too early for the other nurses to be there, and generally, it was free from patients as well, which frankly was great for visiting with him. You didn't get much other time to socialize with other people in the day because they all worked long shifts, not that you even knew that many people anyway.

"Leonard I was going to ask you what you thought abo-" You began asking him before you were cut off by the doors opening. You squinted out of annoyance before you realized who it was, you stood to your feet in a respecting way. "Captain." You said, acknowledging his presence. 

Dr.Mccoy didn't bother to stand or throw as much as a look at Captain Kirk. He just rolled his eyes at your reaction.

"At ease Lieutenant. Your off duty, you don't have to stand." Kirk said with a friendly laugh. He came and sat down next to you as he discussed with Dr.Mccoy. You zoned out as you ate your toast. You couldn't believe he was sitting next to you, you got more and more nervous by the second. 

"(y/n)? You alright?" Dr.Mccoy asked.

You snapped out of it and looked at him, instantly turning a bright shade of pink. "Hm? Oh yes, I'm okay."

"Ah good. The captain here was asking you what you think?" He said nodding towards Kirk.

"Think about what?" You asked feeling embarrassed. 

"Good God, you weren't listening at all. Were you?" McCoy teased.

Kirk just smiled, "Take it easy Bones. Even the best of zone out during these early hours." He turned back to you,  "I was asking what you thought about the recent computer malfunctions that occurred on the ship yesterday. They seem to be back working today, but I would like to prevent it from happening again in case it were to occur during an enemy encounter." 

You turned your head slightly to the side, "From what I heard it was more of a technical error, which I think engineering can help you with more readily."

"But aren't you the computer expert?" Kirk said confused.

You couldn't help but grin and let out a few laughs, "No. Not really. I'm the A.I. expert. But more on a...eh...human level than a programming one. I don't know how to program or fix software sir, I understand A.I. more on a psychological-philosophical level. I'm not much use to your everyday computer, but if we are to meet synthetic beings, I attempt to understand their morality. What makes them tick. How below or above they are from our thinking or even feeling. If that makes sense?" 

Kirk looked impressed by this new knowledge, "So what do you do all day?"

"I write papers...study...eh, I guess I usually just hang around waiting until we meet beings with synthetic intelligence  to communicate and learn from." You said, thinking about how when you put it that way it sounded kind of boring.

"She usually just hangs out in sickbay," Dr.McCoy said with a wink. "She keeps me company."

"Yes, that's it. After all my years of training, it was all just so I could keep Dr.McCoy company." You said rolling your eyes and laughing. "Oh! I also helped with M-5!" You stated proudly. 

"Interesting..." Kirk began. "After all this time, and I never knew that was your job title. Who hired you?"

You blushed a little. "Uhm...you did, Captain." You whispered, knowing it would make him embarrassed. 

You were right as you noticed him turn a little pink. 

Dr.McCoy was soaking the exchange up, you could tell he was holding back laughter with all of his will. You kicked him lightly. Kirk saw you and lifted his eyebrow slightly. "I had best be leaving now, I am needed on the Bridge." He said as he excused himself and hurried to the door, "Oh, and (y/n), I'm glad you are here with us. I am sure I will be needing you soon. Later Bones." He smiled as he disappeared into the hallway, the door closing behind him. 

As soon as he was gone you let out a long sigh and fell backward onto the bed. 

Dr.McCoy scoffed, "You're just like the rest of them."

"How do you mean?" You shot him a look.

"I mean the man hardly talks to you and you can't help but fan-girl over him the second he pays you an ounce of attention." He said in his southern drawl.

"Okay first, ouch. That's a little rude don't you think?"

"I just mean you're a good person and you deserve someone better than Kirk. He's a womanizer. What about Chekov? He seems like a good kid." 

"That's not a nice way to talk about your captain." You said teasing him. "Second of all. I'm not into Kirk that way, I just got overwhelmed because...I mean, he is the captain." 

"Oh right. I forgot that you like robots more than you do people." He said retaliating.

You laughed and threw a pillow at his face.  

"Hey! I just straightened these medical beds!" He shouted.

Your communicator beeped. "Lieutenant (y/l/n), please report to the bridge." A voice rang out. You said okay and put the communicator back in your pocket. 

"Guess when Kirk said he would be needing me "soon" he meant now." You said nervously.

"Jim probably just couldn't get enough of your pretty face." He teased, trying to make you feel less nervous.

You laughed. "I had better get going. I'll see you later." You smiled at him. 

"Yeah, yeah. See you later." He said as he was already busying himself with tidying up again. 

You chuckled and started leaving the room.

"Oh. And (y/n)?" Bones said as you reached the door.

"Yeah?" 

"Remember. Chekov, not Kirk." He said winking. 

You laughed and shot him one last smile before you left. 

You walked down the long corridors, your palms beginning to sweat. Your mind going a million hours a mile wondering why you were needed. You got into the turbolift and began ascending towards the bridge. It stopped and the doors began to open. You took a step out but tripped into the bridge.

Instantly your cheeks turned red. "Some first entrance." You said to yourself as you stood up and brushed off your knees. 

You pulled yourself tall and looked towards Captain Kirk to let him know of your arrival. That's when you realized you were no longer on your ship, no, you knew none of these people. And the Captain was certainly not Captain Kirk.

"I am Captain Picard of the USS Enterprise. State your intentions immediately." The captain demanded. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

77.4K 2.9K 21
You never suspected that you'd end up the role model of the Enterprise's resident android, but it turns out you're not as invisible as you once thoug...
32.2K 1.1K 29
Lieutenant Sadie Walker has been an engineer on Enterprise since its first fateful mission. When presented with her first away mission, to be accompa...
9.4K 292 10
๐™…๐™–๐™ข๐™š๐™จ ๐™. ๐™†๐™ž๐™ง๐™  ๐˜… ๐™”/๐™‰ ๐™‹๐™ž๐™ ๐™š-๐™‘๐™ž๐™ค๐™ง๐™š๐™ก สณแต‰แตƒแตˆแต‰สณ ______________ ๐™Ž๐™ฉ๐™–๐™ง ๐™๐™ง๐™š๐™  2009 ______ ๐˜›๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ ๐˜œ.๐˜š.๐˜š ๐˜Œ๐˜ฏ๐˜ต๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ๐˜ฑ๐˜ณ๐˜ช๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜ช๐˜ด...
13.7K 504 23
veยทheยทmence หˆvฤ“ษ™mษ™ns/ n. the display of strong feeling; passion. Lany, a fresh graduate from the Starfleet Academy, has been assigned on board by the...