The Wizarding Award Scheme Pr...

By drarrycuddles

A Drarry Story. Set eleven years after the war, Professor Potter is taking a group of Hogwarts' pupils into t... More

Author's Note
1. Set Up
2. In a very Severus kind of way...
3. They Got Me A Wife
4. Behind the Masks
5. Ry and Dray in secret
6. Plans
7. The Sickle Drops...
8. 'I blame the hair...'
9. Four Owls
10. An Unexpected Visitor
12. You do trust me, don't you?
13. Not thinking straight
14. 'Blake fell in the stream again and we met a water-sprite...'
15. Pleasure and Business
16. Music to my ears
Epilogue

11. Blake's fallen in the stream again.

2.4K 156 15
By drarrycuddles

'Is Professor Malfoy back yet?' Minerva McGonagall asked as she idly inspected by the unlit campfire.

'No. He's not here,' he lied smoothly, hoping he had indeed left. There was a short uncomfortable silence so he said, 'Ron paid me a visit at lunchtime. The Aurors are treating Lucius's death as suspicious.'

'Indeed,' she nodded knowingly.

'I've provided an alibi for Professor Malfoy, and Andromeda likewise for Narcissa.'

'Narcissa?'

'She was staying at Hogglestane with Dromeda last night,' Harry answered the unspoken query.

'Conveniently so...' Minerva mused. 'So, Lucius was alone when he fell. You mentioned the stairs in your Patronus message earlier.'

Harry was fairly sure he hadn't given any details about why Lucius had been hospitalised. 'From the fourth floor onto the grand piano below,' he answered cautiously.

Minerva gave a thin smile and nodded slowly. 'Probably ruined a perfectly good piano,' she commented lightly. He waited as she pursed her lips. 'The world is a better place without him,' she said with surprising finality. 'He was a horrible man.'

Harry stayed silent, watching her survey the camp.

'And now?' she asked.

'Now what?' he remained cautious. Minerva was up to something and he didn't trust her when she was like this.

'Where are Professor Malfoy and Narcissa now?'

'Er,' he was puzzled. 'Well, I've sent an offer to Narcissa to stay with Andromeda as long as she wants, and I assume that Malf...'

'Ah, there he is!' she smiled as Malfoy appeared over the brow of the neighbouring hill. Harry was sure she muttered, 'must have got lost.' As Draco walked down towards them, she said, 'it's a surprisingly pleasant spot you've found here, Harry. Very tranquil and ... secluded.' She waited until Malfoy had reached them. 'Professor, my condolences. I believe we should probably have a discussion about compassionate leave.'

Harry thought that Malfoy looked shattered. He offered them both a seat and said he'd put the kettle on.

As the campfire wasn't yet lit, he pottered in the tent's kitchen, using the opportunity to freshen up and dress properly too. When he re-emerged with a cup of Earl Grey for Minerva and a mug of milky tea for Malfoy, it was just in time to hear Malfoy say, 'I'll go to the funeral for my mother's sake, but I don't need to take time off work.'

'Professor Potter,' Minerva snapped. 'Perhaps you can talk some sense into this stubborn man.'

Draco was too tired to perform his role, he knew he should be mustering the energy to sneer or curl his lip but the effort seemed insurmountable. He saw Potter narrow his eyes briefly.

'Minerva, the day I manage to talk some sense into Malfoy is the day Cornish Pixies become shoemakers.'

Draco had no idea what the idiotic man was referring to but he saw McGonagall nod with a small smile of amusement.

'Actually,' Potter continued. 'As deputy, I have to raise my concerns regarding the extra workload that you will be under...'

'The funeral is already pre-planned, it is always the way...'

'I was referring to your father's business ventures.'

'It's in hand. I'll meet with the apothecary business manager as appropriate after the funeral, we can decide a way forward in the summer unless it's an emergency, mother is taking on the magical artefacts trading company, the others, well, the accountant's already been instructed to close them.'

'You seem to have already thought this through in detail, Professor,' Minerva sighed.

In fact, Draco had spent much of the morning sitting by his father's bedside, talking across Lucius's unconscious body to his mother about such things. They had hatched the plan between them. He told Minerva and Potter that they'd decided it made sense that Draco would continue to run the Apothecary business, but as far as he was concerned, he would run it remotely. There was no need for him to brew unless it was a very specialist request. He just needed to liaise with the current manager regarding how Draco wanted things running. When Narcissa expressed an interest in stepping up to run Lucius's main business venture herself, Draco had shrugged his shoulders. As far as he was concerned, why not? His mother was an extremely capable person and if she wanted to run his father's business relating to magical artefacts, well, who was he to argue. In fact, he wasn't interested and probably would have sold most of it off but she said there were a number of artefacts she was rather keen to trade and she seen some items she thought would rather add to the collection, she was contemplating making the collection public. He was surprised to hear her mention Marcus Greengrass in passing as a potential trading partner. As for the businesses which dealt with Gringotts' Curse-breakers and the Ministry's Unspeakables, well neither Draco nor Narcissa were entirely sure what they were about but an initial glance at the books suggested they weren't worth much and unless something turned up in the next few days, he would, as discussed, close those particular ventures. He didn't feel a need to try and continue his father's flailing influence in the Ministry.

'Well, Malfoy seems to have everything under control for once, so I guess I can't complain,' Potter smirked but Draco knew well enough there was a look of concern behind the foolish smile.

'Indeed,' Minerva said. 'But if I see you slipping I will make you take time off.'

'Headmistress, my priorities are the students, they have O.W.L.s and N.E.W.T.s coming up and I want to see them succeed. I will not slip, as you put it.'

'Good,' Minerva said through a thin smile. 'See to it that he doesn't, Professor Potter.'

Potter went red and spluttered, 'I don't see how...'

'Ah, look, I see your charges are returning, perhaps I should stay a while and listen to what they have been learning over the past few days.'

'Professor, Professor!' Emily was shouting as they came down the hill into the camp. 'Professor Malfoy! We found a patch of Monkshhod and we've collected some for you. Oh, hello Headmistress McGonagall.'

Draco was out of his seat in seconds, 'who picked it? Did you touch the leaves?'

'Patty remembered everything you told us yesterday and Pedro transfigured the vial into a jar and Patty used the charm you showed us so she didn't touch the plant at all and we've only picked a few of the flowers because you said they didn't last,' Emily rushed her words out in excitement. 'And then Jacob wrote down the co-ordinates in case you wanted to go back next Spring for more.' She grinned, pleased with her account as she held out a jar filled with small purple flowers.

Draco couldn't help smiling, foremost in relief that none of the students had poisoned themselves, and secondly, that they'd listened to and remembered everything he'd said. 'Well, twenty house points each, don't you think, Potter?'

Harry smiled broadly. 'Indeed, I do,' he said, his green eyes sparkling as he saw Minerva's face. It was a mixture of amazement and pride as she studied her potions master. He watched her nod in approval as the students crowded around Malfoy to show off their findings and present them to him.

His musings were interrupted by a loud splash down by the stream and they all looked in that direction to see Lily's group emerge from between the trees.

'It's alright, professor,' Miranda shouted across to them. 'Blake fell in the stream again but he's okay and Kyle's done the drying charm.'

Harry felt his shoulders drop in relief.

'Oh, hello Headmistress McGonagall, are you here for supper? It's our turn to cook and Professor Malfoy promised to play the guitar again tonight,' said Lily.

Harry was fairly certain Malfoy had not promised anything of the sort but he didn't know who to be more amused by, Malfoy's blustering or Minerva's reaction to the invitation.

'Unfortunately, I have to return to Hogwarts, but thank you, Miss Pentecost, for the invitation. It is most kind. And it is rather a shame that I shall miss Professor Malfoy playing the guitar, I would have liked that very much. What is next on the agenda?'

'I am going to teach everyone how to make an easy Muscle-ache Easing Potion, if everyone correctly identified and collected the ingredients I suggested last night?' Malfoy looked around the youngsters.

There was a general chorus of 'yes, professor.'

'Good, now Professor Potter has already set up some flat stones and four cauldrons, and this is not a potion which requires heat. So, I suggest you get into pairs and start to set up.'

Minerva looked impressed. 'Very good. It sounds very much like you have everything under control. Now, Professor Potter, if you would be so kind,' she held out her empty tea cup for Harry to take and she stood up. 'Would you mind accompanying me to an Apparation point away from the camp, I know Professor Malfoy is more than capable of overseeing the students' potions by himself.'

Draco watched Potter and the Headmistress walk slowly away from the camp. His eyes narrowed as he saw her touch Potter's arm gently and smile at him. What were they up to? Her look was quite benevolent but there was also a hint of smugness and he saw Potter glance his way with a pleased smile. But then he saw Potter's smile broaden as Lilith Pentecost approached Draco and Potter turned back to the headmistress. Draco found he was barely listening to Lilith because he was so eaten up intrigue. That was until Lilith leant close and said quietly, 'I'm really pleased you're with my dad, I can tell you make him really happy. And I absolutely promise I won't tell anyone but...' she paused as he looked at her in shock, 'you really need to quit staring because it's dead obvious.'

'I...' Draco stumbled.

She smirked wickedly as he gulped slightly.

Then something clicked in his mind, 'wait! "Dad"...?' he looked at her and then the others standing a little further away. 'You lot!' he barked in command. 'Start prepping your potions.'

He strode towards Potter and the Headmistress, ignoring Lily calling out after him, 'but, professor, we don't know what to do...'

'POTTER!' he shouted.

Minerva's hazel eyes twinkled as she looked between Harry and Malfoy who was storming towards them. 'I rather think that might be my cue to leave, but in answer to your question, yes, I do remember teaching Narcissa, and I remember that she had a particular proclivity for Arithmancy, but then it did run in the family. Rumour was her father, Cygnus, had a quiet side-line in financial advice for some rather exclusive clientele. As for your other point, we'll continue that conversation at Hogwarts on Friday, but I don't think it will be a problem. It's not a new scenario for you to be living off site. Until then, Harry.'

She whipped away in a cool grey cloud back to Hogwarts and Harry turned to face what looked to be Draco in full fury.

'Why didn't you tell me?' he hissed whispered as he took a firm grip of Harry's elbow and hauled him further away from camp. Harry could see they had an audience of astonished students apart from Lily who seemed to be in the middle grinning wildly.

'Oh no, what's she done,' Harry groaned. Then he felt the colour drain from his face in realisation. 'I'm sorry, Dray. I didn't get a chance to tell you earlier, I was about to but then Minerva arrived and well...' he waved his arms hopelessly, but then he straightened his back, his immediate environment coming back to him and the impact of having what was looking to be building up to a lover's tiff in front of eight students. He might just be able to control Lily for the moment, but the other seven would have free-rein to gossip once they got back to Hogwarts. He turned and glared at the blond man. 'Malfoy,' he said sternly. 'You're making a scene, please control yourself.'

Malfoy looked at Harry with surprise clear in his grey eyes, then he too straightened his back. 'Yes, you're right. I apologise.' He turned away from Harry, looking over the camp.

'Dray, it's been a long day. It's a lot of effort to keep up the pretence under these circumstances but it's not for much longer. Perhaps you should just sit here a while and take some time out away from everyone? I'll go and talk to the kids and organise them into starting their potions. What are the first steps?' he said softly, glancing briefly at Malfoy who had managed to drag a sneer across his face, though Harry could tell from his grey eyes that it was rather half-hearted.

'They need to make a 400ml infusion of wormwood and a separate vial's-worth of honeywater. While the infusion is steeping, get them to dice the alihotsy leaves, scurvy grass and lovage. They're not to add it until the wormwood has soaked for exactly thirteen and half minutes. They need to add the honeywater and stir nineteen times anti-clockwise, and then add the herbs and stir nineteen times clockwise. Then I will come and inspect.' Malfoy sat down onto the grass, his back rigidly straight and his nose in the air. Harry thought he looked like he might be about to cry.

Harry wandered back into the camp and repeated Malfoy's instructions to the group.

'Is Professor Malfoy okay?' Patty asked in concern.

'Yes, Patty. It's just been a difficult day for him. I suppose you'll find out soon enough even if I don't tell you, but his father passed away today, that is why he had to leave us this morning. Even though they didn't have a brilliant relationship, I'm sure you'll all understand that it has had an effect on him.'

'Professor, is there something we can do?' Blake asked.

'No, we just need to give him a bit of time and make a nice dinner in a bit.'

'I know you two aren't the best of friends, professor, but do you think you ought to sit with him for a while, in case he wants to talk or something?' asked Miranda.

'I think I will,' said Harry as he avoided looking at Lily. 'Perhaps if you could just get on with your potions. Who do you think is the best at potions out of your group?'

'Kyle,' said Lily.

'Does everyone agree?'

There was a general nodding.

'Well, Kyle, do you know what you're doing?'

'Yes, professor. Thirteen and half minutes and nineteen times anti-clockwise, then nineteen times clockwise. The rest is straight forward.'

'Good, you're in charge.'

Harry went to the entrance of the tent and summoned a small hipflask, not that he condoned drinking while being responsible for school pupils, but this was an emergency.

He threw himself down on the grass beside Malfoy, lounging inelegantly next to the straight-backed man as they surveyed the students and their potion making at a distance.

'Malfoy,' he said quietly. Neither of them were looking at each other, though all Harry wanted to do was pull Malfoy into his arms and hold him tightly.

He resisted.

'Potter.'

Draco sighed deeply, then he felt Potter nudge his thigh and looked down to see the man subtly pushing a silver hipflask his way. He took it, turning the cool smooth metal flask over in his hands. It had a pleasing feel, though he grimaced at the Gryffindor lion engraved into the metal. 'Typical!' he sneered half-heartedly.

'It was a gift and the only flask I have. I packed it for emergencies only and I'm guessing this constitutes a trauma of the most severe kind.'

Draco took a deep shuddering breath. 'I'm about lip's quiver away from crying, Ry, and I hated the fucking bastard...'

'It's allowed though. He was still your father. He was still a big part of your life. You loved him dearly once upon a time and you're allowed to grieve for that loss.'

'I suppose...' Draco just wanted to sink against the raven-haired man, to feel his warm arms wrapped around him. Instead he knocked back a swig from the flask and just about managed to supress a violent coughing fit as the liquid burned his throat. 'What the fuck is this, Potter?' he rasped.

Harry smirked, 'very expensive Scottish single malt whisky. None of this wizarding Firewhiskey shite, this is the proper stuff.'

Malfoy took another smaller sip, 'oh, it's quite nice.'

'Yes, and also more potent. Don't drink it all.'

Harry watched as Malfoy screwed the lid back on and looked at him. 'When were you going to tell me the adoption application had been approved?'

'Right after I asked you to move in with me. I would have told you this morning but, you know...'

'Oh...'

'I'm serious, Dray. Move in with me and we'll raise Lily, Teddy, Jamie, Al, and Scorp together. Hell, your mother can stay in the Gate House with Dromeda if she wants. There's certainly enough space for the two of them and although it's not a patch on the Manor, it's certainly more ostentatious than the main house. As a building, the false grandiosity amuses Dromeda, plus it gives her independence from me and she can come and go as she pleases.'

'Do you ever stop rescuing people?'

'Only the special ones...' Harry smiled softly. He meant it, he really meant it. He wanted Draco to move in with him, he wanted to make this official. 'I want you to openly... publicly... be my partner. I don't want us to be creeping around anymore, hiding what we are...'

'When do Lily, Jamie, and Al officially become little Potters?'

'The moving-in date is the 1st June, all being well, ten weeks after I can officially adopt them.'

'So, in two weeks' time we go from what appears to be a barely civil relationship in public to living together?'

'Well, you can wait until the end of term if you want. We could openly date before then...'

'It's still a bit quick. Your adoring public will have plenty of negative things to say about it.'

'Or we could come clean...' He saw Malfoy gulp, his Adam's apple moving enticingly. He moved to get up, thinking they'd probably left the students alone for quite long enough and he ought to be sorting out dinner things. 'Think about it, Dray. I don't need an answer this minute, just let me know when you've thought about.'

'Oh, I've already thought about it, Potter,' Draco murmured to Potter's retreating back. 'I think about it every day,' he said softly into the gentle breeze that carried his whisper away. It was true. He watched the man moving with such ease amongst the students, inspecting their potions, dishing out praise and jokes and gaining huge smiles as a reward. Draco wanted nothing more than to be part of that permanently. He knew the answer was 'yes', it was just a matter of how.

Potter moves tirelessly, thought Draco as he watched. And he realised that yes, he did, in everything he committed to. And it was as if he couldn't get enough of life, perhaps that came of having to sacrifice himself for the sake of others at such a young age; from having been raised for one purpose and now that purpose had been lifted from his shoulders and he loved life for it. That was when Draco had an epiphany. Potter didn't just love life: he loved his job and he loved these kids, all of them. And because of that he was willing to give them all of himself. He watched the ruggedly handsome man grimace at Jacob and Miranda's potion in their cauldron and decidedly shake his head and they laughed together. There was no reprimand for getting it wrong but perhaps this wasn't the time and place. These few days were about fun learning and laughter. He saw Potter hold up his hands and shake his head, he could imagine his eyes sparkling as he told them all he was hopeless at potions as he looked up at Draco, eye-contact held briefly. Just enough for Draco to know he hadn't been forgotten.

Draco was in a good mind to storm down the hillside and into camp and just snog the man in the middle of it all. It would certainly be one way of letting everyone know they were in a relationship. He smiled to himself at the thought. Most inappropriate really, it would cause a sensational scandal, plus he'd probably be sacked.

When he thought about it, about how much Potter gave to everyone, he realised there was an imbalance in their relationship too. Potter was always there for him, even when Draco turned up in the middle of the night out of the blue and without warning. And Potter was forever quietly supporting him, sorting out his problems, big or small: whether it was after Jamie had unleashed his Obscurus in his rooms or simply in the little details, like sending that Patronus off to his mother. Even in bed, Potter who knew exactly what to do for him. Draco realised he wanted to return that, he wanted to give too. And perhaps he was free to do that now. With his father gone and the divorce finalised, he was actually free to love: to love life and to love this man.

He took a deep breath, inhaling the late-spring evening air. The mayflowers and grass smelt of freedom. He pushed himself up from the hillside and strode purposely down towards the camp and he felt like the weight of the world had been lifted from his shoulders.

'Harry,' he said softly, nodding his head once in a greeting to the raven-haired man who looked up at him from where he was making ready the firepit. 'Right then,' he said more forcefully with a quirked smile and the sun shining in his grey eyes as he looked at the pairs sitting by their cauldrons. 'Let's see what you've all produced in my absence, I hope no one paid the blind bit of notice to what Professor Potter told you to do, he doesn't know an ashwinder egg from a billywig sting.'

'But, professor,' Kyle exclaimed in amazement. 'A billywig sting is blue and thin and tiny, and an ashwinder egg is bright red and round and about so big.' He held his thumb and forefinger about an inch apart.

'Exactly so, Kyle. Five house points to you for knowing more about potions ingredients than Professor Potter.'

Draco ignored that Kyle had his mouth open and that the other students looked rather amused. However, he didn't fail to notice the small happy smile that Harry wore and that made his heart sing.

*****

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.1K 1.5K 16
A Drarry Story in which both Harry and Draco are Aurors. Set seven years after the war. All is going well, apart from the two men still don't talk to...
273K 7.1K 24
-WATTY'S LONGLIST 2018- When McGonagall requests that every student repeat the grade they had just finished due to the distractions of the previous y...
331K 14.1K 54
After the Second Wizarding War, Malfoy found himself alienated from the majority of the school; his old friends just irritated him, all of Hogwarts'...
9.3K 230 20
Four months after the Hogwarts war is over, for only that year, an 8th year is added for the past 7th years who missed out much of their necessary ed...