Loathed Treasure

By FreshRawRot

Why does Jennette get all the love while Athanasia is overshadowed by her? Claude ignores his own daughter on... More

Note
Chapter 1: Face to Face
Chapter 2: Meeting
Chapter 3: Cold-Blooded
Chapter 4: Adventure
Chapter 5: Thoughts
Chapter 6: Destiny
Chapter 7: Lady Angel
Chapter 8: Worries
Chapter 9: Undead
Chapter 10: Surging
Chapter 11: Whole
Chapter 12: Pampered
Chapter 13: Gift
Chapter 14: Emerging
Chapter 15: Rise
Chapter 16: Stalemated
Chapter 17: Deceived
Chapter 18: Issues
Chapter 19: Encounter
Chapter 20: Debut
Side Story: The Maid and The Knight
Chapter 21: New Start
Chapter 22: Gone
Chapter 23: Lies
Chapter 24: Redemption
Chapter 25: Trickster
Chapter 26: Fame
Chapter 27: Charmed
Chapter 28: Grand
Chapter 29: Obsession
Special Extra: Bidding
Chapter 30: Conflict
Chapter 31: Frick
Chapter 32: Bloom
Chapter 33: Peace
Chapter 34: Farewell
Chapter 35: Familiar
Chapter 36: Relations
Chapter 38: Recognition
Chapter 39: Misery
Chapter 40: Despair
Chapter 41: Change
Chapter 42: Retribution
Chapter 43: Journey
Chapter 44: Cleave
Chapter 45: Fin
Author's Note
New Fanfic
Peek-A-Boo

Chapter 37: Entrance

4.4K 163 151
By FreshRawRot

The sun is out and the sky is clear. Everyone gathers around in the garden as they socialize with each other. Jennette hosted a tea party and invited her friends including Athanasia. Though Athanasia rolled her eyes at the invitation letter and burned it, not wanting to go to the party. Anastasia was required to go because she was the princess's best friend and also a spy for her master. She never went inside a magical storage or back to Athanasia at all. She stayed outside of her 'home' and explored the outside world, discovering new things that a clone shouldn't. She was breaking the law of nature.

Anastasia holds the quill pen up and leans on her wrist while thinking. The noisy background drowns out as she reads the context of her letter.

"Anastasia!" One of the girls calls her from behind and she jumps as she faces her. "... What are you writing there?" The admirer grins at her gleefully.

"A poem" She folds the letter and hides the content from her. "It's nothing special. I'm just bored"

"If you're bored, then why won't you talk with us?" She suggested and Anastasia blinked. "We're friends aren't we?"

"Yes, we are" She smiled with dimmed eyes. "We always have been" She stood up and went up to the girls with the folded letter hiding in her pocket.

"By the way, I'm so sorry for your loss"

"?" Anastasia tilts her head at her in bewilderment and then realizes what she meant. "Oh... It's ok. That was a long time ago"

"Yeah, but still. You're not even an adult yet and you have so many responsibilities after inheriting your household" The admirer said in concern.

".... Yeah..." Anastasia nods and stares at the ground. "But it's nothing that I can't handle"

"You're also being pressured to get married too!" She frowned. "If you need any help, it's ok to come to us! We'll protect you and give you our support!"

Anastasia smiled brightly and giggled. "Sure, I'll tell you if I do have any problem. Thank you for being my friend!" She said in a cheery voice but her eyes were dead.

She had no soul.

'Master. Your admirers are still with you but are no longer by your side' The clone felt guilt within her body.

"...Hmmm" She spaces out and then stands up from her chair.

The whole table stops chattering and looks at her in curiosity about her sudden action and straight expression. "Where are you going, Anastasia?"

"... Somewhere" She excuses herself. "I'll be back" She scurries away from the table and goes down the hall.

"W-Wait!" One of her friends yells for her and stands up quickly as the others slowly get off their chairs. However, Anastasia pretends not to hear and is already out of their sight, heading towards the Quartz Palace where her master is confined.

"... Does something about her seem off to you?"

"Well her parents did die and she's already a Duchess so it would make sense if she's a bit distant and dejected"

"... Yeah... it's a pity. Her parents really loved her and they died all of a sudden. It must've really affected her since she fired all the servants and didn't bother to rebuild her mansion, letting it burn to the ground. She wouldn't tell us where she lives too"

"She must be paranoid to reveal her own location now"

"Poor thing. She doesn't deserve it" Someone speaks up and drinks her bitter tea. "But at the same thing, I think she does"

"Gasp!" Their jaws dropped at the woman's comment. "How can you say that?"

"Think about it. She thinks she's so high and mighty just because she's a spoiled Duke's daughter. She stole the attention from everyone including the princess" The envious person grumbles with contempt and fury. "Karma is hitting her"

"And karma is indeed a bad thing" A familiar voice talks harshly in a dead tone as she walks up from behind the sinner. "It will be such a pity if it comes to someone else wouldn't it?" Jennette places her hand on her shoulder with a cold face.

She turned over and shuddered at the princess's contemptuous face as Jennette looked down on her.

"Erm. Your Highness! I didn't mean to insult the Karalis girl! I was just saying!"

"Oh is that so?" Jennette rubs her chin with a smirk. "Then, in this case, I don't mean to excuse you from the party and banish you from future events" She speaks in a cheery and bright tone as everyone around her gets the chills.

"I-I'm sorry! Please show mercy! I wasn't serious!"

"I would have your tongue cut off for slandering by law but since it's peaceful today. I will show you mercy"

"Thank you" The woman bowed while the princess smiled brightly. "I have learned my lesson"

"Did you?" Jennette asked with her smiley face and her guest nodded. "Ok. Now get out and never come back" She clapped her hands twice to notify the knights. "These men will escort you back to the exit."

Her face becomes drained of blood as she gapes at the princess grinning at her without a care. Jennette's bright expression was unusual and heartless this time when staring at the person insulting Anastasia. She was furious on the inside and ready to use her power to imprison her however she didn't want to. So she resisted the temptation and contained her anger while covering her emotion with a mask.

"... Yes. Thank you, Your Highness" She stands up and bites her bottom lips tightly while gripping onto her dress.

Jennette kept her eye on the person along with the audience as the woman got farther away, soon disappearing from their sight. The princess was relieved to get rid of a disgusting nuisance that had nothing but a foul mouth.

"Erm. Princess, you did the right thing" One of her friends compliments. "It's impressive"

"Oh, it's nothing" Jennette brushed it off. "I can't let one guest ruin this day" She looked around, searching for someone. "Where's Anastasia?"

***

Anastasia goes into the forbidden palace once again with one mission in her mind. She dashes through the corridor left and right while the maids let her through. They get a feeling of nostalgia to see Anastasia but it was strange to know it's a clone of Athanasia just with different traits. However, the persona of Anastasia still remains the same while Athanasia creates an entirely new one to keep them apart. The black-haired girl still keeps her bright and cheery personality, cherished with love and support from her friends. As the blondie isolates herself in the palace with her mother, engulfed in the world of knowledge, and rarely smiling as her aura glooms and gets dangerous.

Anastasia slows down as she notices her one only person in her sight. Her eyes light up with joy as she tip-toes fast. Athanasia's eyes were dull and her head down at an angle, slightly looking up but mostly down at the floor. Although she seemed gloomy and lifeless while dragging her feet across the floor. In Anastasia's eyes, she was the brightest light that shone up her dark world like an angel sent from the heavens. She was too magnificent for the human naked eyes in her opinion.

Athanasia stops and knits her eyebrows, noticing a pair of heels in her sight along with the bottom ruffles of a dress. She lifts her head and looks straight into her glittering pink eyes that admired her.

"Anastasia?" She tilts her head. "What are you doing here? Did the party end already?"

"Not yet, master" Anastasia shakes her head. "I left to see you"

"... Why?" She strokes her chin and scans her body, up and down to appreciate her appearance. "Do you need something?"

"Reporting the status update, master" Anastasia said in a soldier-like voice. "I-"

"Later. Later" Athanasia waved her hand to stop her. "For now, go back to the party and have fun. You should be able to enjoy it since I gave you my joy"

"But master, how come you won't go?" The clone questioned with a blank face and Athanasia squinted her eyes in suspicion. "Everyone should be aware of your identity, master"

Athanasia was so lost at words with her clone suggesting things to her. She wanted to see her friends but didn't want to go since she was no longer Anastasia. It's saddening to let go of friendships but it's sometimes for the best. Athanasia can't be too soft towards her peers.

"I don't want to go" Athanasia jerks her head to the side with a frown.

"If you wish, master" She bends down to get on one knee but Athanasia shouts in surprise while pulling her back up.

"What are you doing?!" Athanasia gapes at her in surprise. "You don't need to do that!"

"I'm sorry if I did something wrong, master" Anastasia stares at her sincerely. "Please punish me" She took Athanasia's hand and pressed it against her cheeks.

Athanasia shivers and winces at her behavior, feeling mortified and embarrassed of her.

"It's fine but please don't do anything strange next time" She begged.

"But didn't you do the same to the princess a long time ago, master" Anastasia cluelessly mentions and Athanasia bites her tongue as she cringes at her past.

"T-That was something else" She takes her hand back and turns her back on the clone. "Go back and enjoy the party now"

Anastasia dusts her dress off and looks at her outfit for a bit. Athanasia looks back once again and notices her strange behavior, standing still while her eyes lay on her body. The master goes back to her clone in concern and seriousness.

"Is there something wrong with your dress?" Athanasia inspects the dress and carefully looks at every detail of it. "... it looks great on you" She compliments.

The 'simple' outdoor sundress that was on Anastasia's body. Obviously designed by the top-tailor which is one of the teams of maids, it was specially requested by Athanasia herself. She wanted to make sure it was beautiful but not too dazzling so Anastasia could stand-out in the party. She didn't want her to feel lonely and so she gave her all of her joy to keep up the bright aura and fun personality that she originally owned. The simple white dress laced with blue lines and florals covering the skirt. Flowy and matched with her cute little sun hat. Athanasia actually awed at the final product when seen on her and proud too but was unable to express it due to the sacrifice of her joy. But she already knew how she felt on the inside and that was enough for her.

Anastasia hears a weird thump in her head as she gets another weird sensation in her body. She felt warm and safe that her eyes drooped as it glittered. She appreciated the compliment and treasured it like it was very valuable. Her master dazzles brightly in her eyes as Anastasia adored her.

"...Master.."

"Anastasia!" A yell interrupts them and they both get startled by it.

Athanasia turns glum and cranky as Anastasia goes back to her happy expression and bubbly smile. Jennette runs up from Anastasia's behind with a worried face as some of her friends follow her. Jennette grabs her shoulder and faces Anastasia with a terrified look, sweating bullets while slowly keeping her away from Athanasia.

"Where did you go?! I was so worried about you!" Jennette hugged the clone with trembling arms. "I thought something bad happened to you!"

The group of girls catches up to the scene and awes at the two best friends' hug. They all knew how closed they were and were deeply fond of how much the princess cared for her. They were all amazed by the wonderstruck scene until they noticed a person on the other side blankly staring at them with no emotion. They thought it was someone irrelevant until they had a glimpse of her blue jeweled eyes. With a loud cluster of gasps from the group, everyone turned their attention to them in bewilderment. They all stared at the blonde woman with an unfamiliar and dangerous presence, realizing who she is. It's the forgotten princess of the empire, Athanasia de Alger Obelia.

"... So noisy" Athanasia sighs as she looks to the side.

"I apologize for the disturbance, Athanasia" Jennette curtsy in front of her and their jaws dropped. "Please don't punish Anastasia and let her go. She did a mistake again"

They were in disbelief of the princess that's favored by everyone being respectful to someone they forgot existed. How can a princess with so much power be afraid of one isolated girl in the empire? They could easily criticize her and raise the princess to the top but at the same time, they didn't know who she really was. One bad move could lead to their doom so they stayed wary of her for now.

"Who said I was going to punish her?" Athanasia looks at herself and then back at Jennette again. "Anastasia did nothing wrong so she's fine. You have a social gathering today so I would expect some guests accidentally stumbling upon this place."

"Thank you for understanding, Athanasia" Jennette sighs out of relief and grins at Anastasia. "Let's go back"

"Hmmm but actually I want to request something" Anastasia faces Athanasia with a smirk and her master's eye twitch in irritation.

"What is it?" She asked with a dead tone, not caring at all. The women in the back flinched in reaction to her harsh tone and tick-off face at the two most powerful girls in front of her. A princess and a duchess. They were in disbelief and were afraid to think bad of the forgotten princess. She would definitely get a reputation just from this.

Athanasia looked at the clone that was beaming at her with glee, begging her to accept. A sweatdrop slid down the side of her face as she worried about her clone's character. The audience watches from a distance in concern and gets mixed feelings about the situation.

Anastasia grins wider as she shines bright on Athanasia's blank face that remains unfazed from the beaming light. She felt like her retina was going to burn from the light and go blind but at the same time, she didn't think it was a bad thing and decided to see what would happen. Anastasia faced Athanasia fully and confidently. With one deep breath, she finally tells her the request with ease.

"Duel with me"

***

Diana sits in her garden alone and drinks her Lippe's tea, feeling calm and at peace with the birds singing and flying over. She felt satisfied enough with herself but Athanasia concerns her still especially the clone. Making clones and enslaving them was her specialty but the most powerful one was emotional manipulation. It seemed like a great gift for her to discover such a thing but it's also very dangerous that could potentially set a curse forever. Diana was worried that Athanasia might use it to destroy her own emotions when she first saw Anastasia. However, after some time, she saw her own daughter become joyful with her own replica and playing around like the old times. It turned out she just needed a friend who understood her and that person was herself. Diana was relieved and happy finally after months of living in depression.

"My Lady" Lily called out to her from the side and Diana jumped, spilling her tea onto the table. "Ah! Sorry if I startled you" Lily takes out a towel and wipes the table.

Diana looks at her softly with a gentle smile as Lily focuses on cleaning the table. Her face was brighter than ever and had more sleep than usual. Lily seemed like she was free from all her stress and worries that it made her more alive.

"Would you like to sit with me?"

"Pardon?" Lily finishes wiping and gapes at her in shock. "Erm, no thank you. I'm fine with standing by your side!"

"Oh, so you don't want to be with me?" Diana puts on a sad face and Lily becomes stunned.

"M-My Lady! That's not what I mean!" Lily panics and Diana turns sadder.
"No, I get it. You don't like serving nor being around me" Diana fakes a teardrop which turns Lily to stone. "I'm a horrible per-"

"I changed my mind! I will sit with you, My Lady!" Lily exclaimed with an awkward smile and sat hard on the chair in front of Diana.

"Oh! You didn't have to!" Diana switches to a cheerful grin that was beaming at her.

Lily smiled hard and insisted that she should, going along with her game. "It's alright to talk to me"

"Teehee!~" Diana smugly smirked that made Lily break into a cold sweat as she stared at her evil face. Her aura gets menacing as Diana touches fingers while holding her hand up to her face. "I need to discuss that one knight chosen as Athanasia's guard"

Lily's face goes pale and gloomy as Diana cunningly grins at her with eagerness. "Are you perhaps talking about Sir Felix?" Lily nervously asked.

"Oh is that his name?"

"... My Lady" Lily felt her soul left her body as Diana plays dumb.

*TIME SKIP* ~ Athanasia POV ~

I wiped my sweats and looked up at the sun with a straight face. I was hot alright and soaking with sweats as it continues to flow out of my body. My hair was sticking to my skin and flowing in the wind at the same time. I was standing straight and staring at the one person, kneeling in defeat. Her sword was gone but mine was still in my hand. The audience was in shock and gaping at us in astonishment. I was tired and pleased at the same time. What is this strange feeling inside?

"... The way you held your sword was flimsy and you were too focused on attacking me" I said and bowed my head next to hers. My hand brushed her hair over her ear, exposing it and I put my mouth near it. "Even I don't make that simple mistake" I whispered and straightened my back.

I let my hand out and offered it to the tired girl breathing hard after an intense fight with me. "Come on, we already know who's the winner"

She reached out and took my hand. She held it tight then lifted her chin, facing me with a gleeful grin. "That was fun, Athanasia! You're really strong!~" She compliments me as I pull her up. "You were great" She smirked at me and I blankly stared at her face.

"... Be careful, I don't want you exposing yourself" I warned her.

"Don't worry, I'm handling it well" She clicks her tongue twice while giving me an ok sign with her hand. "How do you feel?"

"....."

I gawked at her in disbelief as my mind stopped working for a moment. Her simple question managed to shock me to become lost at words. How I felt didn't concern her at all but that wasn't the reason why. I literally gave all my joy to her so she wouldn't go through the mess of being pessimistic and dull like the original novel. Was I afraid for her? Maybe. I wouldn't want someone to go through the humiliation even for a clone that doesn't feel. Though that's only because I saw her as Anastasia. She was born from my mana similar to Raven but she was created to obey me. All of my clones were.

But this feels different to know that this very clone took the identity of someone else and became her. That was me before but now I'm Athanasia and she's Anastasia. Innocent and born to explore and learn about the world and herself just like a baby. So I treated her kindly and friendly but I didn't know I would start caring for her. Sacrificing my happiness just for a mere tea party? That... was too nice of me to do that and yet I feel glad about it.

So that's why her efforts in entertaining while others have fun make me proud. She didn't want me to feel lonely and so she challenged me to a duel because she knew how much I liked wielding the sword. Anastasia understands me the most as if she's my friend and that makes me feel... happy.

"I feel good" I smirked and then walked away from her to go back to my room and take a bath. "If you need to wash, then my maids will escort you"

"... Thank you and I hope to see you again, Athanasia" she goes back to the crowd of my old friends and the girls squeal with delight while praising her.

I looked back at her one last time and she was smiling at them. That happy expression on her face looked really natural as if she actually felt it from her heart and not created like that. She seems to accept herself as Anastasia Karalis now...

I hope she learns to cherish this moment because it won't last long....

***

"... Ugh, what do you think of the Count?" Diana grumbles wistfully, leaning on her hand as Lily keeps a stern face.

"Very intelligent and polite but slightly mentally-ill in my opinion" Lily answered seriously and Diana shakes.

"Why do you talk as if you're rating them?!" Diana slams her hands against the table and Lily's eyes droop.

"... I don't know what you're talking about" She smiled innocently and Diana squinted her eyes.

"How do you compare all of your past fiances to Felix?" Diana asked her directly and Lily gasped, pretending to be shocked.

"What are you saying, My Lady?" Lily raised her eyebrows. "Why would I ever compare people? That's just plain rude"

"You know what I mean!" Diana gripped her fists and whined. "Ahhh! Why are you playing so hard to get?" She groaned.
"My Lady, you look stressed. Would you like to take a rest?" Lily suggested and Diana facepalmed.

"... You don't intend to fall in love at all do you?"

"No. I'm already satisfied with my current life right now" Lily answered bluntly and a vein popped on Diana's forehead as she scowled at her.

"Sigh. I give up"

Diana sits in her chair and fidgets with her fingers in boredom as Lily watches her getting moody. After a while of peace and quiet, Lily took a deep breath and felt like it was the right moment to get answers.

"My Lady, I have one question for you," Lily asked and looked at her. "Are you happy?"

"Huh?" Diana spaces out and looks at her in bewilderment with a blank face. "... I am. Why wouldn't I?" She grinned forcefully and chuckled softly to convince her but Lily already saw through her act.

"... You're hiding your pain aren't you?" Lily wistfully asked and Diana avoided her gaze.

"I prefer to say that I'm recovering" She sighed and covered her mouth with her palm. "I don't know"

"... You had two lovers and they're both brothers" Lily mumbles. "It's very... rare" She comments and Diana gives her a weird expression. "Sorry, I don't know what to say"

"... You know I'm also surprised that it became like that too" Diana admits and nods. "Though if you compare the two relationships, there are differences in the love"

"... Um, what made you fall in love?" Lily pressed her lips together in concern. She didn't want to dig into Diana's story and know about her tragic past. However, Lily was in her therapy mode so her master could let out her emotions and past to move on. Though it wouldn't guarantee the result, she wanted to help her at least.

"Hmmm. That's very tricky so let me start from the very beginning" Diana rubs her chin and remembers her past. "... When I met His Majesty, we had a rough start because I became a concubine. He treated me like an object and resisted me only because he had a bad past but I understood him. I would call him His Majesty and treated him kindly, giving him love and support. He sent me gifts because that's what most women wanted but really I didn't. I only wanted him to be happy and loved. I was very patient and soon he eventually opened up to me and we became lovers. Yeah, that's it" Diana nods with a meh face and leans back into her chair.

Lily stared at her pitifully as Diana looked to the side in boredom and keeping her mouth shut. The atmosphere was very quiet and peaceful for a long time after Diana finished talking but not her story. Lily sighed and opened her mouth.

"And how about Anastacius? What was the....difference?" Lily speaks weakly at the end while pushing her head back into her neck.

"... Good question" Diana nods with a grin and places her chin on top of her hand.

"Anastacius and I technically bond through Athanasia, I must confess." She put two hands up in the air as if she got caught and then went back to her previous position.

"At first, I resisted him this time." She smiled awkwardly and looked to the side in embarrassment. Lily squinted her eyes and then told her to continue as Diana gets the second-hand embarrassment from remembering her past.

"Erm. At first, our meeting was kinda a bit rough because ahem! I would scowl and fight against him while he taunts and mocks me with contempt"

'That's literally no different from your whole relationship, My Lady' Lily thought and knitted her eyebrows.

"But right after, we begin to express ourselves and open up!"

'Isn't that like your usual fights though?' Lily nods.

"He actually treated me like a person and cared for me." Diana smiles again but this time it was warm and loving, reminiscing her past memories again. "I called him Anastacius because that's who he was and he would give me support and love. I didn't notice until after we became official"

'Were you never official from the start when you became parents?'

"He was patient and gave me a chance to go back to my previous lover. But guess what! I loved him instead and so I stayed with him, never regretting that choice. He was willing to let me go if I didn't return his feelings." Diana clenched her fist over her heart. "He gave me love and gifts directly from his heart and efforts like the flowers."

'Ah yes, he used to handpick them for her and do it every day.'

"We were opposite because he was selfish and I was selfless but soon we influenced each other. I taught him to be selfless while he taught me to be selfish. It was interesting when I made selfish requests but most of them were mainly about him" Diana let out a laugh. "I never felt so alive and happy in my life before!~" Her laughter slowly dies down.

"I really did love him and he loved me as much too" Her smile dulls and saddens. "That's how it went. That's why I loved him..."

"... My Lady" Lily calls out to her and Diana looks up at her and brightens again. "Erm.... I..." Lily looks into her sad eyes that were on the verge of tears again. Her heartbreaking and missing him is truly painful. It hurts Lily to see her like this and so she pauses.

"What is it, Lillian?"

"Erm..." Lily anxiously sweats as she thinks about digging further into her love life. "Do you actually think that Felix and I are a good match?" Lily changes the topic and Diana beams at her.

"I have so many good reasons!" Diana's eyes glitter as she immediately forgets why she was sad in the first place.

"Well, let me hear them, and I'll...." Lily coughed. "Consider it" She goes gloomy.

"Yes!" Diana claps her hands together.

*TIME SKIP* - Months Later -

Another day, another time. The popularity of Athanasia increases drastically after her fight with Anastasia in the society. News of her defeating the Karalis girl spreads along with her existence throughout the whole empire. When they found out that the forgotten princess turned out to be real, they became curious about the new girl and so Athanasia became the talk of the town, causing an uproar. Jennette was supposedly the only princess that was loved and favored by all and naturally they would think she would take the throne. However, the reveal of Athanasia would disrupt everything because they wouldn't know if the emperor would choose Jennette now.

The nobles that witnessed Athanasia's palace spread rumors that she was favored more than the princess considering how extravagant and grand her home was compared to Jennette. Also, her behavior toward the lone wolf made the gossip juicier when Jennette was afraid of Athanasia. But there was one problem, they were all clueless of Athanasia's origin and nobody knew who to support, causing a split in society.

"Princess Athanasia is bound to take the throne because her name is linked to immorality!"

"Princess Jennette is more suitable for the throne because she's been by the emperor's side longer and is loved by all!"

"Athanasia is fierce and strong with the knowledge of politics and wielding a sword! We need her!"

"Jennette is kind and bright that is favored the most! With a bubbly and cheery personality, the empire will be happier with a ruler like her!"

They all roared against each other with false information, arguing whoever deserves the throne. However, the people who knew about her origin were none other than the Alpheus Household when the son met her. But still having trouble gaining their desires using Jennette when she lost support and Athanasia began to rise. They were in chaos.

"Penelope, are you sure the position of Crown Princess is secured?" Duke Roger asks his distressed cousin, looking like a complete mess only worrying about herself.

"Yes, don't worry about it" Penelope lied. "I'll make sure she gets the throne and soon I'll become the Empress" She bit her nail as her expression darkened.

"Ok..." Duke Roger nods. "But how will you convince Jennette to marry my son again?"

"That's something that you have to handle yourself." Penelope sneers. "My daughter refuses to obey us now" She grits her teeth. "And it was all because of that damn Karalis girl!" She threw a pillow at the wall and Duke Roger sighed.

Then after rubbing his forehead for a while and thinking about what to do, handling his crazy cousin's anger and trying to rise to the top. Suddenly an idea pops into his head and he gasps.

"That's it!" He points up the ceiling.

"What is?" She sneers and he doesn't react to her ugly face.

"Anastasia Karalis" He said and she rolled her eyes. "Her household has an amazing history with the people"

"Yeah and what about it?" Penelope doesn't listen nor cares about it but is forced to anyway.

"The commoners make up most of the population and they support the Karalis household. They also have other nobles' support and even the Siodonna Kingdom are on their side." He exclaimed and Penelope perked up. "They hold great power and are equal to the Crown even if it's just one person. Anastasia Karalis holds all of those power"

"So... What are you saying?"

"If Anastasia Karalis support Jennette in this competition then she is guaranteed to get the position"

"But they're best friends already and yet that spawn from the previous emperor still got support from blind people"

"That's only because Anastasia never stated whose side she was in and she never attends the noble meetings due to her age. So if I get her to go to the meeting-"

"Then announce that she's on Jennette's side and she'll become crown princess! And then I can become Empress!" Penelope jumps up in glee with hope. "So God really does love me"

"Erm.... not... nevermind, as long as she gets the position and marries my son. Everything will be alright" Duke Roger said and leaves the room as Penelope celebrates with delight and joy, thinking that she'll get the Empress's position.

'Though that woman's face still sickens me!' Penelope punches the pillow. 'But I want to see her reaction once Claude chooses Jennette over Athanasia when he announces the Crown Princess' She smugly smirked.

***

Jennette sets up another tea party for her friends only. She was lively and bright but there was something else inside her as she beams at her guests. Everyone attends and chats like usual since they've been doing it for their entire life so this was nothing to them. However, this one was special because of all the gossip and news that spread among the noble society so their perspective of Princess Jennette changed. The once adored and lovely princess could potentially become an outcast since the emperor becomes fond of Athanasia more or so as the rumors say. But they didn't change their attitude toward the princess because she was still royalty and a friend too.

"So Your Highness, is Princess Athanasia coming to your party today?"

"I don't know. She doesn't respond to my letters and stays in her palace all the time but I really hope she does this time"

"Oh it'll be a pity if she doesn't but that might be because she's busy right?"

"Maybe" Jennette nods. "Well, excuse me now. I gotta talk to the other guests" She leaves the group and goes to greet the other ladies.

Although she had her bright smile and bubbly personality, her aura and presence get dimmer and less as time passes. Losing her love from the people and others including the emperor. But she still stayed strong and motivated herself to live through the criticism and the loss because she had one important person by her side. And that is...

"Anastasia!" Jennette hugs her tight and she wraps her arms around. "You made it!"

"Of course, Princess. I wouldn't miss a single invitation" Anastasia smiles softly and gently at her. "I hope to see Athanasia again," She said and Jennette's eyes dull.

"... Ah, her" Jennette said with a bittersweet smile as her heart sank. "But I don't think she'll make it today just like other times"

"Awww. Don't think that, maybe today might be the day!"

"Maybe! But for now, let's enjoy the party!~" Jennette quickly changed topics to avoid talking about her cousin.

"Mmmk!~" Anastasia giggled with a cute face and Jennette's heart flutters as it melts.

She was relieved and excited to see her like this. She wanted it to stay like this but even better. She wanted to keep her by her side as promised.

SHATTER

"Gasp!" Someone drops their glass cup onto the ground while covering their mouth. They all turned to the sound of the noise as the person stood still. She was stunned, surprised, shocked, no one could identify the expression on her face. She was just astonished with her mouth wide open along with her eyes.

"Is that?" She points and everyone looks over.

A figure in the distance walking towards them with a blank face. Her blonde wavy hair could be seen and jeweled eyes shining bright in the sun. Her dress was simple but was radiating on her. Her presence could be felt as she got closer to them and they were all noticing their breathtaking beauty as she joined the party. Athanasia had finally left her cage and revealed herself to everyone.

"That's Athanasia..." One of the girls said.

"She looks so cool and magnificent"

"Even with a straight face, she still captures my attention"

Everyone gossips around as Athanasia gloomily walks over to the crowd and keeps her eye on the clone. Anastasia sighed out of relief and grinned with content that her master finally accepts Jennette's invitation. After nagging and begging her to go, Anastasia wanted to show Athanasia how she was loved by the people and not hated. Athanasia finally listens and decides to give it a chance to see if Anastasia was correct.

"P-Princess Athanasia!" One person runs to her before she can even go into the circle. "I admire you a lot!"

"Wait, I do too!"

"I want to talk to her!"

Most of the girls ran to her like fangirls chasing their idols. Their eyes were sparkling as they got close to her and adored her. Athanasia got startled by the swarm of girls coming to her way and stopped walking as she broke into a cold sweat. It was similar to the time she first went to a party and everyone trapped her in a crowd. All she wanted was cake and tea but instead, she got fangirls blabbering her with questions, breaking the noble's etiquette.

"Wah!" Athanasia gets into her fight-and-flight mode as they all crowd her, thinking she'll be attacked.

"Princess Athanasia, I just want to say you look pretty!" One girl compliments and Athanasia furrows her eyebrows in confusion.

"Erm, thanks?"

"Oh! You were so cool that time when you spar against the Amazing Anastasia!" One squeal. "You looked like a hero"

"..." Athanasia gives all of them the weird look as they all praise her with everything.

"Even with that blunt face! You're so charming!~"

'...what the fuck?' Athanasia spaces out.

Jennette and Anastasia were watching the show from a distance. Jennette gets concerned about the crowd of girls going to her cousin while Anastasia dazes at it in amusement and pleasure.

"My cousin is really popular!~" Jennette softly chuckles. "I'm so proud of her coming out"

"Yeah... me too" Anastasia's eyes were still on her master face. Her mind is full of Athanasia and only Athanasia. Her eyes were getting full and glistering at the blonde figure that was standing out in the crowd. Even with many heads in the way, she could still see her glowing up.

"Erm, Anastasia. I brought your favorite cakes" Jennette mentions while looking at her with pleading eyes, hoping for her to turn her gaze. "Wanna eat?" She picks up a fork but Anastasia still doesn't move her eyes.

"Later."

Athanasia saw how many people were admiring her and so she got a warm feeling in her heart when knowing that her friends were still with her without their knowledge. Her heart beating as she feels joy inside her body again. She knew she wasn't alone at all. Athanasia sighed and with all her leftover strength, she put on a calm smile that melted everyone's heart and awed them. Including Anastasia.

'You smiled, master' Anastasia brightens up as she gets a warm feeling again and this time she liked it. '...I'm happy' She grinned widely and closed her eyes.

Jennette's face darkens as she witnesses Anastasia giving her cousin the attention and feelings that she aimed for. She gripped her hand tight on the fork and shook as everyone's attention was on Athanasia. She was slowly becoming an outcast.

'... Why?' She bit her bottom lips as she bears the pain of her heartbreaking

***

"...." Athanasia quietly sips her tea as the girls talk about life. She had a dangerous aura surrounding her that intimidated everyone but no one cared. Including the person that she could make feel fear for their entire life.

"Would you like to try some cake, Princess Athanasia?" Anastasia holds up a fork that has a chocolate piece of cake to her mouth.

"... I'm not a princess" Athanasia wheezed and the cake got shoved into her mouth. "Huck!" She was surprised by her bold move.

"It's sweet right, Athanasia?"

She chewed on the piece and nodded while giving a thumbs-up. The others around the table were delightfully having a conversation because they were happy to see the real Athanasia. She tells them to not call her princess or your highness and they listen, content to call her by her birth name as if they were close friends. Jennette sits right beside Anastasia with a gloomy aura and staring at the two bonding with jealousy and anger.

"Oh, that's right! Princess, I heard your 18th birthday is coming up!~" Anastasia mentions and Jennette stops being glum.

"... Huh?" She stares at her in disbelief. "Yeah, that's right" She nods with a soft smile, a bit content that Anastasia remembered her birthday. "I'll be an adult very soon"

"I'm excited about the ball!"

Everyone chatters gleefully, talking about what to wear and other stuff. The topic was all on Jennette and she was pleased with being the center of attention as they continued to ask her questions. Although the table was asking her many questions that she couldn't keep up with, her eyes would glance back at Anastasia when she answers each one. What was supposed to be a happy moment for her was crushed by one thing. Anastasia was staring at Athanasia with loving eyes in awe. Admiring her beauty as Athanasia focuses on eating her cake with a blank face. Jennette's eyes dull as her face darkens in fury.

'Just wait until I get that crown and soon she'll be mine' Jennette motivates herself.

"Prince-"

"I told you not to call me that," Athanasia said bluntly with a serious face but Anastasia still keeps her grin.

"I know but I can't help it..... Athanasia" She exhales through her nose and reverts her eyes to the side. "Will you go to the ball?"

"I'm forced to go, anyway" Athanasia groaned. "Emperor's order and that includes my mother"

"Don't worry, I'll be there with you" Anastasia reassured her and placed her hand on top of hers. "You won't be alone"

"... Thank you" Athanasia sincerely smiled at her. "Have you been getting sleep?"

"Mmmmm." Anastasia shakes her head and winks at her, signaling her that she doesn't do sleep.

"I see" She nods. "Any questions?"

Anastasia blankly stares at her as she gets caught into her mind, thinking about her question. It was strange because her clone always never thinks and always says no questions because there's no point in it when they were going to die anyway. But for Anastasia, she was growing and learning so Athanasia patiently waits for her.

"Can I really?"

"Of course"

"... No questions" She responds.

"Really?"

"Yep"

"Ok..."

Athanasia goes back to eating her cake and Anastasia sits still in her chair with her eyes on the cake in front of her. She had another weird feeling inside of her when she backed out from her question. She didn't like it because it felt wrong but at the same time, she couldn't get herself to say it. She felt disgusted and hurt.

"Ah! Here!" Athanasia picks up a fork and takes a piece of cake from her plate. Then holds it up to her clone's mouth. "It's not as sweet but just try it"

"... Thank you" Anastasia opens her mouth slowly and Athanasia gently feeds her. The clone chews on the scrumptious cake that was creamy. Athanasia lets go of the fork and it hangs in her mouth. Anastasia holds the fork and continues staring at Athanasia as she goes back to eating. Her eyes droop as she gets the bad feelings again.

'I can never claim you, master' She clenches her chest. 'I will only serve you until the very end...'

End of Chapter 37

AN: Wahhhhhh! Ok, y'all... My mind is about to explode bc I'm predicting that it'll end around 50-60.

|Word Count: 7313|

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.8K 278 24
Ambrosia is the child of Claude de Alger obelia and amrallyis Augustus Amrallyis was a childhood friend of Claude she was the daughter of a noble kn...
99.9K 4.2K 14
Damian De Alger Obelia He reincarnated on a the novel he randomly bought just because his friend recommended it to him. But if he was reincarnated as...
30.2K 1K 41
Book 1 ༺ 𝓡𝓾𝓫𝓲𝓪 𝓭𝓮 𝓐𝓵𝓰𝓮𝓻 𝓞𝓫𝓮𝓵𝓲𝓪! ༻ How the hell did that happen? When Lisa took her last breath under water, she thought that was it...
78.8K 3K 59
Y/n. The Princess of Obelia. A beauty indeed. The youngest daughter of Diana and Claude, Obelia's Crowned Princess and the sister of the well-known...