A Small Bite

By gryffinshit

WARNING: This story is being rewritten, please read the one named "A Small Bite 2.0" on my profile. _________... More

Prologue
Third-year I
Third-year III
Third-year IV
Third-year V
Third-year VI
Third-year VII
Third-year VIII
Third-year IX
Third-year X
Third-year XI
Fourth-year
Summer before Fifth-Year I
Summer before Fifth-Year II
Summer before Fifth-Year III
Summer before Fifth-Year IV
Summer before Fifth-Year V
Summer before Fifth-Year VI
Summer before Fifth-Year VII
Summer Before Fifth-Year VIII
Announcement

Third-year II

812 38 20
By gryffinshit

Draco discovered that Hippogriffs didn't like werewolves.

He bowed in front of Buckbeak, but the animal attacked anyway.

Of course, nobody saw what actually happened, so everyone thought that the Slytherin insulted the beast and deserved the long gash he now had on his right arm.

The right side of his body wasn't really lucky, it seemed.

His leg healed perfectly fine, so he wasn't limping anymore. The only thing that showed what happened was the big, ugly scar on his skin.

That day, he was making his way towards his first Defense Against the Dark Arts lesson, with his arm bandaged and Gregory carrying both his and the blond's books.

When they entered the classroom the teacher wasn't there yet.

They took their seats - at the bottom of the class - and Draco started reading the book he borrowed from the library about werewolves.

They didn't have to wait long, as Professor Lupin arrived shortly after. The moment he opened the classroom door the strange smell from the train ride invaded his nose once again.

He had felt it every time he entered the Great Hall to eat. It wasn't unpleasant, but it was unnerving how he couldn't find anything about it.

Outside the room, Remus Lupin hoped this class would finally be the one where he would smell that scent again.

He had heard that werewolves could smell each other, even when the full moon wasn't near, but he never actually met one of his kind to recognize the scent.

The first time he smelled it, at the welcoming feast, he almost had a heart attack. He didn't know if he should be happy to finally meet another werewolf or sad that the person had to feel the same pain as he did every month.

It seemed he finally found the right class.

He scanned all the heads in the room until he saw platinum blond hair. He stared at those grey eyes a moment too long, before looking away. He expected a haunted look, but only found weariness.

The boy was just tired.

Maybe he was wrong? Maybe that smell didn't mean he would meet another werewolf?

He ignored those thoughts and started his lesson.

###

Draco was glad he didn't face the boggart. What would the class say if a big wolf with blood on his teeth - Draco's blood - appeared to be Draco Malfoy's boggart? It was already a miracle that Potter and Granger didn't start a rumour about him shaking like a leaf when not even near a Dementor, better not risk it.

He was leaving with his group of Slytherin friends when the Professor called him.

«Mr Malfoy, I would like to have a word with you»

Draco wasn't gonna lie, he was hoping for it to happen. He knew the smell was a werewolf thing, and if he didn't find out what it meant he would've gone mad.

He said to his friends, who were still suspicious since the train incident - Blaise even tried to look at his leg while he was sleeping! -, that he would catch up with them later and turned to his professor.

They waited for everyone to leave the classroom - Potter looked at them, debating what to do, then shrugged and followed the other Gryffindors - and Draco sat in the front seat.

Remus leaned with his back against the desk.

«What was it you wanted me for, professor?» asked Draco.

«If you don't mind» started the Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher «I would like you to go against the boggart we just saw. Just for a curiosity of mine, don't worry»

«I suppose I can,» said the Slytherin. It was just the two of them, so he shouldn't bear with eventual rumours afterwards.

«Good, now come here» Lupin motioned the boy in front of the old wardrobe.

Draco tried to be mentally ready for what he would see, but when grey orbs stared at him with the same bloodlust he saw every time he closed his eyes, he realized he could never be prepared for that.

He took a deep breath, closed his eyes and thought of a small, cute puppy.

«Riddikulus!»

When he opened his eyes he saw a pup, half the size of the original wolf, with black fur and emerald green eyes.

The little wolf looked around confused and Professor Lupin shoved it back in the closet.

The look on Remus' eyes sent confusing messages to the student. He seemed to be happy and sad at the same time.

Before anyone could say anything, the teacher put a silencing spell around the room.

«So, you're a werewolf» broke the silence Lupin.

«Is that what the scent does? It tells you if a werewolf is near?» asked Draco, sitting on the front desk.

«Does it mean you're a werewolf too?» the adult merely nodded.

«Why couldn't I find anything useful about the smell?» it drove him mad the last few days.

«All the books about werewolves in this school were written by humans who know less than half useful things about us»

There was an awkward silence.

«When were you bitten?» asked Remus.

«Two days before school started» Draco shivered at the thought.

«So this month is your first full moon» realized the older wolf. The blond nodded.

«Does the Headmaster know?»

Draco scoffed.

«Nobody must know. It would ruin the family name» he said mimicking his father's voice.

«He treats me like it was my fault Greyback was mad at him»

«Not even teachers?» how would he manage the year without a single teacher knowing?

The Malfoy heir - not for long, he thought bitterly - shook his head.

«What will you do after every full moon? You'll need medical attention! And Professor Snape could make you Wolfsbane potion, so you can keep your right mind during the night» how could Lucius let his son live like that?

«Snape is the last person I want to know» snapped Draco

«I see how he looks at you. I've only seen him make that face when he looks at Potter. Pure hatred» he looked away from his teacher's face.

«I guess he doesn't like werewolves»

«That's not the only reason he hates me, but yes, he doesn't like werewolves» laughed awkwardly Remus.

The Slytherin gave him a confused and curious look and, as a teacher, Remus hoped he would never lose the curiosity he had, even for silly things like that.

«That's a story for another time» he smiled, happy that lycanthropy hasn't ruined this young boy yet.

«I have a safe place we can transform, but you have to tell at least Madam Pomfrey. She would find out soon anyway, she knows pretty well the effect of a full moon on werewolves»

«She then should tell the Headmaster and he can't know. My father despises him, if he found out I told Dumbledore he would curse me 'till I pass out» Draco now feared his father. Before the night, he was always kind - as much as a Malfoy can be - to him.

The day he woke up with a bandaged leg and his mother crying beside him, he noticed his father had changed.

He had a different look in his eyes: anger, disgust, disappointment.

He was disappointed that his son became a monster.

He would have preferred that Draco died, instead of having that thing as an heir.

He was probably planning to disown him and having another son while his mother still could.

«Poppy knows how to keep a secret and nobody said that she has to tell everything to the Headmaster» Remus winked at him.

Draco hesitated. Could he trust his teacher? Could there be any reason for him to betray a student? What if he decided to give Draco's secret away? No, that wouldn't make sense, the blond could do the same. Maybe he could give him a chance.

He nodded and gave the other a small smile.

«What about the Wolfsbane potion?» teacher and student stayed a minute in silence, thinking of what to do.

Then, Remus nodded to himself.

«Since you don't want Severus to know, we have enough potion just for one person. If I take it, I can try to keep you calm. I doubt you could succeed if you took the potion»

Another nod came from the young boy and the professor smiled.

«You should go now. I don't want to take all your free time and your friends must be worried. If you need anything, even just talk, you can come to me» Remus walked forward and patted Draco's shoulder.

«Oh! I almost forgot, come to my office after dinner every full moon. I'll take you to the safe place»

«Yes, sir» and with that, they went their ways, one preparing his next class with fifth years and the other dealing with his suspicious friends, completely forgetting to ask the professor of Defense Against the Dark Arts to teach him the silencing charm.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1M 35.8K 89
When Harry got hit by the killing curse, he thought that would be the end of his life. He was happy that he could reunite with his loved ones in the...
2.1K 80 15
Hi, welcome to my very first Me in Movies series where I make myself part of the plot and make changes to it here and there. The first of this series...
5.9K 58 17
In this story you are the daughter of Sirius black and remus lupin. You are living with remus and know about Sirius being in Azkaban. You know the ri...
1K 43 13
Harry returns for his final year of Hogwarts, much to his dismay. Ron and Hermione at his side, things have changed and not many people know how to d...