Forgetting Prince Charming.

By Keri8794

She's had a secret kept safe for three years, one that would tear her family apart. It only took one drunk en... More

Preface
CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40

CHAPTER 17

2.9K 329 20
By Keri8794

Garfield had it right - Monday's sucked.

For Emma, that particular Monday was shaping up to be the worst one yet. Her morning hadn't started well. She'd woken up with deep black rings under her eyes and she'd missed her first alarm. She'd been forced to scramble to work and Emma hated scrambling to work. It always left her mind in a daze.

She had rushed so quickly to get out the door that she'd forgotten her car was still parked in her parents' driveway. She should've made Joey drop her off there like he'd offered; instead, her pride and worry had forced a no, out of her lips. Now, she had no transport and finding a cab so late in the morning would be a nightmare.

Emma stood frozen outside her building nibbling her lip. Already the streets were busy with morning traffic, loud car horns and no available cabs. Emma felt the desire to turn around and call it a day but, she hated disappointing her patients. Gina was a special one to her. The disappointment would cut worse.

A loud car suddenly blared its horn and Emma's shoulders jolted. The sudden vibration from her phone didn't slow her heart rate either. She was a wreck. She distractedly took out her phone and pressed to answer. "Hello."

"Uh, hi Em." It was Joey. Emma stopped staring down the street and focused on the call. "Listen I forgot to mention yesterday that we need to do an interview with you this morning."

Emma's brows furrowed. "Why?"

"We'd like you to speak about your first date. Our listeners want to know how Will fared as bachelor number one." He chuckled awkwardly at the end.

Emma scratched her head. "I can't come in now. I've got work and I'm already running late."

She could hear his frown. "We can do it through a call. We'll make it a pre-recorded interview then so we can alter your voice."

It sounded easy enough, but Emma had enough to worry about. "I don't know. I'm trying to get to work, I don't think I can concentrate on an interview as well."

"What do you mean you're trying to get to work?" He paused and Emma closed her eyes knowing he'd figure it out. "You don't have your car with you, do you?" She kept quiet and he quickly cussed under his breath. "You said you'd get it last night after I dropped you off."

"I know but, I forgot." she said quickly. Truthfully, she'd got distracted with a new show and she'd forgot all about it. It was also why exhaustion weighed down her body.

"Dammit. Hold on." He cut the line and Emma frowned. She pulled her phone away and stared at it in confusion. She still had signal.

A minute later, it rang again. and Emma quickly answered. "What happened?" she asked.

He chuckled. "Listen, a buddy of mine stays in your street. I've asked if he'd give you a lift."

"Wai-"

"He owes me one and I caught him in time."

"Wai-"

"Look out for a red Mercedes. The ass is all about status. His name is Fred. He's tall, has dark hair and is probably wearing a white V-neck shirt without sleeves."

Emma's mind was spinning heavily. She couldn't figure out what was going on. "What are you talking about?" she eventually asked.

"Let him take you to work and on your way, we'll do the interview. Two birds and all that."

Emma held her forehead. "You can't just do that."

"Look, I trust the guy."

"Doesn't mean I do," she argued back. Another horn suddenly blasts in front of her and Emma jumped. She looked ahead and found a red Mercedes parked against the curb. A thick tan arm stuck out the window. "I think your friend is here," she muttered.

"Oh good," said Joey. "Give the phone to him."

"Are you mad?" she shrieked. The car door opened, and a large man walked out. If skyscrapers were people, this man Fred would be the biggest one. He watched for a space in the traffic and rushed across the street. He had a charming grin on his face that was slightly obscured by his dark mustache.

"Hi," he said in greeting. His voice was pitched and in such contrast with his appearance. Emma resisted the urge to giggle.

"Em, trust me," she heard Joey say. "Pass him the phone." Despite Joey's words of assurance, Emma didn't give him the phone. She put it on speaker instead. "Fred," said Joey. The heavy traffic made it hard to hear but the tree of a man in front of her seemed unperturbed.

"Yeah it's me," he grumbled.

Joey laughed. "Thanks man. I owe you. Treat her well." Fred nodded and nudged his head towards his car. Reluctantly, Emma followed. She was hesitant but, her options were limited. Realistically, getting in a car with Fred was no better than getting in a cab. At least Joey knew Fred.

When they reached the car, Fred opened the car door for her and Emma carefully slid in. She kept Joey on the line. "You good Em?" he asked.

"Yeah," she answered quietly. Once Fred was inside, he pulled into the street and started their journey. Fred was quiet. He didn't say much except to ask for directions. Emma appreciated it.

"Okay Em, you're all set up. We've got you on record and we're all ready. Are you?"

"No," she said truthfully. Fred snorted softly and Emma smiled.

"It'll be alright." She heard some muffled sounds and then quiet female voices drifted through the call.

"Hi there Juliet. How are you keeping?" The voice sounded like Taylor. Emma smiled.

"I'm alright."

"How has your hunt for your Romeo been?" asked Linda.

In the silent car, Emma chuckled. "It's been terrible. I think I'm better off loving my Prince Charming."

"Hey now," interrupted Joey playfully. "We're here to forget that man."

"Well then you've got to up your stakes," teased Emma, "because Will was not a good start."

"Oh dear, what happened?" asked Taylor. They knew the answer but, for the sake of the listeners, Emma thought back to Saturday.

"I had high hopes for Will. When I watched his interview, I thought he was charming. I was excited to have him be the first. But he was a big disappointment."

"I was so certain he'd be a match for you," said Linda wistfully. Joey snorted. "Excuse me," chastised Linda.

"Come on," he said with a laugh. "I knew straight away that he'd be wrong for her."

"And why's that?" asked Emma, intrigued. She wasn't sure Joey even remembered the interview Will had given. They'd been too preoccupied. She blushed remembering how much she'd drunk.

"He seemed too..." he trailed off. "I don't know."

The female hosts laughed. "You're not a good judge of character Joey."

"Excuse me," he gasped.

"Taylor just means that you're a serial dater. You aren't exactly the best person to decide a life partner for Juliet." Emma laughed.

"Well I was right about this one," Joey said grumpily. "Will wasn't a good match."

"He wasn't terrible but, he seems to still have some issues with his ex that he should probably deal with before dating."

"So, are you hopeful for bachelor number two?" asked Linda.

Emma laughed. "Honestly, no. Bachelor number one wasn't a good match, so my expectations are low for bachelor number two."

"As long as Prince Charming isn't an option, I'm happy." mumbled Joey.

Emma shook her head. "You don't even know him," she defended.

"I know enough."

"He's a decent man."

"Who is in love with someone else." Emma gasped.

"That's enough Joey," said Linda softly.

"I know it's ridiculous to still love him," muttered Emma. "I can't help it. He embodies everything I desire in a partner."

"Like being a boring academic with a good heart," sneered Joey.

Emma bit her lip hard. "Well, it's better than an immature radio host with a talent for insults."

The line went quiet. Fred's arms tensed and the temperature in the car dropped.

"I think we got all we need," said Linda softly. "We'll call you later in the week to set up the next date." Emma didn't say anything further and instead, ended the call. She dropped her phone on her lap and stared out the window. Her teeth continued to dig into her bottom lip. She hated being so cruel to Joey but his attitude towards her feelings bothered her. She knew it was ridiculous and didn't make sense to others but, she couldn't stop. She felt helpless. She didn't enjoy fantasying about another man and lusting after her sisters' boyfriend. She wished she could move on but, loving Eamon felt a part of her, like another limb.

"You know," said Fred suddenly and Emma's head shot around quickly. "He didn't mean it."

"What do you mean?" she asked hesitantly.

"Joey," he said gruffly. "I heard some of the conversation."

"Then you know that he's an ass."

To Emma's surprise, Fred chuckled under his breath. "Ironically, he's never been good with his words."

Emma rolled her eyes. "That's an understatement."

"He means well though. Especially with you." Emma quirked a brow. Fred veered off the freeway and neared where Charles lived.

"What do you mean?"

Fred was silent and Emma wondered if he'd answer her. When they reached Charles' house, Fred pulled to a stop against the curb. He looked at Emma earnestly. "I've known Joey for ten years now. He's always been against getting serious with women. He's got it in his head that it's less work to stay unattached and it's worked for him so far. You're different."

She blushed and looked away from him towards the house. "You must be mistaken."

Fred chuckled. "Perhaps but, he's never woken me up before seven and begged me to give a lady a lift."

Emma shrugged. "He feels responsible for me because of his show."

"No that's not it. He doesn't talk my ear off about guests on the show."

Emma's cheeks reddened. "You're reading too much into it. He's just looking after me since he's the reason I'm in this mess."

"Funny you feel that way. Doesn't sound like he's much of an ass."

Emma gulped. "I suppose you're right." She looked back at him. "Thanks for the ride." Quickly, Emma climbed out the car and walked towards the house.

She couldn't stop wondering about Fred's words though.  

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.9K 934 49
Queen Xion was gifted with the crown of Nervana at 18, where the fact she was a woman is more than enough to prove she's not supposed to rule. Agains...
287 28 11
A fun-loving young woman yearning for financial freedom and love becomes entangled in lies and scandal while working for a cynical billionaire. ...
62.4K 2.9K 24
"Roses are red , violets are blue ...only if love was true .. !" These are the words she will often write down in her diary pages after pages. Durin...
630K 33.1K 31
When Kay leaves home to discover herself and meets Brian, the handsome scarred owner of a coffee shop that shares her name, she must decide if she h...