Endure and Survive (Sequel to...

By MoonPrismPower_92

After the events in 'How We Live Now', a noticeable change has come of Kari. She no longer cares what happens... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30

Chapter 21

24 0 0
By MoonPrismPower_92

When we got there, Beth was in the middle of having reading time with the kids.

"Sorry," I mouthed.

She smiled then went back to reading. Maggie was at a table in the back taking notes. Daryl and I sat with her.

"You're taking notes on reading time?" I asked.

She smiled.

"No. I'm just keeping log of what we have and what we're running low on," she said.

"Is it a lot?" Daryl asked, taking the piece of paper from her.

"No. We have enough for a few weeks. But we will eventually have to make a run soon," she said.

"I volunteer when the time comes around," I said.

"Me too," Daryl said.

"You two are always willing to go out. You sure it isn't to be alone together?" she asked.

I inhaled and then started coughing. The kids and Beth looked my way.

"You alright, Kari?" Beth asked.

I coughed a few more times and cleared my throat.

"I'm fine. As you were," I said.

Maggie was laughing silently. I punched her on the arm. Daryl just looked between the two of us.

"Y'all are so childish," he muttered.

Maggie looked over at him.

"That wasn't a no," she said with a smile.

"Maggie. Shut up. We didn't come here to talk about whatever you think is going on. Have you seen Rick by any chance?" I asked.

She then got serious.

"No. Why? Is something wrong?" she asked.

"No. Not yet anyway. I wanted to talk to him, well actually the whole council about taking measures to thin out the group of walkers out by the north end of the fence," I said.

She nodded.

"Yeah. I've noticed there's been a lot of them as of lately. Wait here. Beth should be almost done with the kids. I'll gather everyone and meet you back here," she said, getting up.

"Thanks," I said.

"Don't do anything that the kids shouldn't see," she teased.

"Get the hell out of here," I said, pushing her away.

I looked back at Daryl.

"Sorry about that," I said.

"Nah. Don't be," he said.

"So, if we have to go on a run, where would we look?" I asked, wanting to get away from the awkwardness that I was currently feeling.

"A couple weeks back, there was a Big Spot that seemed like a good place to start," he said.

"That was the run you went on with Sasha and Glenn, right?" I asked.

"Yeah. We spotted it on the way back. Looked like no one had raided it yet," he said.

"Alright. Then that's where we'll start," I said.

Beth had finished the book she was reading to the kids and had them all disperse. She came up to us and took a seat.

"So, what's up?" she asked.

"We're gonna have a council meeting about how to thin out the walkers by the fence," I said.

"The north one?" she asked.

"Yeah," I said.

"So it's getting worse?" she asked.

"It ain't anything we can't handle. We just need to have all hands on deck in the situation," Daryl said.

"Well, will you let me know what you decide? I'll do what I can to help," she said.

"You don't want to stay for the meeting?" I asked.

"I can't. It's almost time for Judith to be fed," she said.

"How's Lil Ass Kicker doin'? Haven't had a chance to see her with everything that's been going on," Daryl said.

"She's good. When you get the time, you should come and see her. I'm sure she'd like to see the both of you together. You two are always the ones that are putting in that extra push. You guys deserve a break too you know," she said.

"I was thinking of stopping by later. I can always bring Daryl along with me. I'll guilt him into it if I have to," I said.

"I'd like to see you try," he muttered.

"Is that a challenge?" I countered.

"No," he said.

"Well, I take it as a challenge so challenge accepted," I said.

"Whatever," he said.

"Alright. I'll leave you two alone," she said, getting up.

I rolled my eyes.

"Say hey to Lil Ass Kicker," he said.

"Will do," she said.

After she left, I turned to look at him.

"What?" he asked.

"Nothing. What, I can't just look at you?" I asked.

"Not without making it weird," he said.

"Does me looking at you make you uncomfortable, Dixon?" I teased.

"Stop," he said, looking away.

I chuckled lightly. The council then made their way in and had a seat with us.

"You doing okay, honey?" Hershel asked.

"Yes, I'm fine," I said.

"What's going on?" Glenn asked.

"Well, I'm sure you guys have noticed that there have been a lot of walkers that have gathered around the north fence recently," I started.

"Has it gotten worse?" Sasha asked.

"Not yet. But we can't wait until it does," I said.

"Okay. So what do you suggest?" Carol asked.

"That we all get together and take them out. Have all hands on deck," I said.

"We got more than enough pikes to do so," Daryl said.

Each of them were silent for a bit. Weighing the options in their heads.

"When did you want to do this?" Rick finally asked.

"As soon as possible. Whenever you think that we can get our people together to do it," I said.

He nodded.

"We'll have a community meeting tonight. Make sure everyone has an understanding on what needs to happen and how it needs to happen," he said.

I nodded.

"Sounds good," I said.

"Now that I got you all here, we may be needing to make a run soon," Maggie said.

"Why's that?" Michonne asked.

"I made a list of things that we're running low on," she said.

She then handed her notebook to Hershel.

"Some pain killers, a bit more food. It doesn't hurt to check to see what we can find. But where would we even begin?" he asked.

I looked to Daryl.

"The last run we went on, I noticed a Big Spot not too far from here. I can take a group and see what we can find," Daryl said.

"That sounds fine," Rick said.

"I'm in," Michonne said.

"Don't even have to ask me," I said.

"I'll join you guys," Sasha said.

"We better get ready then. Thanks for your attention," I said.

"I'll go with you guys but let me just have a talk with Maggie first," Glenn said.

"Everything okay?" I asked.

"Everything's fine, Kari. I promise," he said.

"Okay, I'll see you out there," I said.

I headed back to the cell block to get my things in order.

"Where are you off to?" Beth asked, as she rocked Judith back and forth in her arms.

"On a quick run. Hey, there Judy," I said, kissing her adorable chubby cheek.

"Be careful will you. I'll try to make sure Judith is up so that you and Daryl can have a playdate with her," she said.

"You and Maggie are the same person, I swear," I said.

"Oh, come on. You two would be cute together," she said.

"Stop. Just leave it be. Whatever happens, happens. I won't force anything," I said.

"You're such a party pooper," she said.

"And you're an annoying little sister. Speaking of which, you and Zack, huh?" I said.

"Nice, segway," she said.

"Thanks. Now is it serious?" I asked.

"Not really. I mean we've only been together for a couple of weeks," she said.

"But you like him, right?" I asked.

"I guess," she said.

"Beth," I retorted.

"Look. He's a nice guy. But I've told him that I don't want anything serious right now. We're just having fun," she said.

"Define, 'fun'," I said, crossing my arms.

"We're not having sex if that's what you think," she said.

"Beth. Not in front of Judith," I said.

"Sorry. But that's not what we're doing," she said.

"Okay. Cause that's not something that you can do just for the fun of it," I said.

"I know, Kari. I'm not stupid," she said.

"I never said you were. I just want you to make sure you're being careful," I said.

"I am. And I will be," she said.

"Alright, then. I'll see you when I get back," I said.

"And make sure you bring Daryl," she said.

"Stop," I said, rolling my eyes.

I headed out and joined everyone by the cars.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

233 33 11
๐‘พ๐‘น๐‘จ๐‘ป๐‘ฏ- ๐‘บ๐‘ป๐‘น๐‘ถ๐‘ต๐‘ฎ ๐‘ฝ๐‘ฌ๐‘ต๐‘ฎ๐‘ฌ๐‘ญ๐‘ผ๐‘ณ ๐‘จ๐‘ต๐‘ต๐‘ฎ๐‘ฌ๐‘น ๐‘ถ๐‘น ๐‘ฐ๐‘ต๐‘ซ๐‘ฐ๐‘ฎ๐‘ต๐‘จ๐‘ป๐‘ฐ๐‘ถ๐‘ตโ€ข "You ain't like them, you think you are, but ya' ain't." "What'...
1.5K 121 9
When Lunette Sallow gets thrown into a world overrun by the walking dead, she finds that she is able to find her place there. Never truly belonging i...
795 14 14
Amira Parker never expected for the world to end, let alone for the dead to rise up and start eating people alive. How will she and her family navig...
429K 8.2K 75
" This isn't the beginning. It's the end to all things." When the dead risen to eat the living, Kayla Grimes found herself in the middle of survivin...