stardust | park seonghwa ✓

By beazibo

we are made of stardust, that's why we shine and that's why we glow. we are the children of the stars, our lu... More

stardust
00
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
― end; silent thoughts, secret wishes

33

2K 166 161
By beazibo

YOONJIN and Yeosang both get along well. Very, very well, actually. They may as well be like the next Wooyoung and Hyekyung―I wont be surprised if they might even have inside jokes already. This is something I rarely see, Yeosang clicking with someone as soon as he meets them but I guess Yeosang and Seonghwa's mum are somewhat alike the more I hear them talk.

Even though I don't join in their conversation as much (mainly because I was too busy eating. I didn't realise how hungry I actually was until the smell of noodles went through my nostrils) it was still fun watching them interact.

Yoonjin describes herself as a 'cool mum'. Tells a million and one stories about Seonghwa and his brother when they were little with an animated look on her face, as if that same son she's talking about isn't in a critical condition barely a kilometre away.

Her reason was that Seonghwa wouldn't want her to worry about him and instead will want her to think of happy thoughts. Positivity tricks the mind, she says, maybe it's starting to work on me too. Worry still passes my mind every now and then but Yoonjin and Yeosang both distract me from thinking too much.

"Are you done?" Yeosang asks as I place my chopsticks down.

"Yep, let me just..." I bring the bowl up to my mouth and drink the soup down.

Oh my God, that's amazing.

"Food's great, right?" Yoonjin asks. She raises her hand for the bill.

"Mhm-hmm," I hum in agreement.

"I'll take you here again, later when things are better. I also know this other place that I for sure know you will like, by the way. I'll take you there too."

"How do you know such good places?"

"With great instinct comes great food," Seonghwa's mother laughs.

"Did you just twist a Spiderman quote?" Yeosang pipes in, sipping the very last drop of his iced tea so loud the sound could be heard from Pluto.

The older woman just shrugs.

Once the bill comes, she easily places her card on top of the little wooden board. A little part of me becomes side tracked―I wish I could offer my card as easily as her. This woman's got some class.

But then again, if I was her, I'd do the same.

Five minutes later, we are out of the warmth of the shop and back on to the cold streets.

Tonight, the moon looks brighter and the wind seems chillier. I can feel the cold on the tip of my nose and I scrunch the bridge feeling an itch of an upcoming sneeze. Some trees are blooming already, splotches of pink decorating the trees here and there. The street we are on is a slightly smaller one than the road the hospital is on, which means it sounds a lot quieter and the yellowish glow of the streetlights look a little creepier. I notice we are at a small neighbourhood, it explains the may cars lining up the street. Am I the only one who can somewhat taste the air through my nostrils? I watch puffs of smoke from the warm breath I let out.

You could see the upper floors of the hospital from here, through the thickening leaves of the treetops and behind the strings of cables of electricity poles. It's not far but it feels as if I'm walking to the ends of the earth.

My brain replays what happened in the previous three hours; starting from Wooyoung and Yeji, to never finishing that wonderful toast from the stand, to calling Seonghwa's phone to only get a reply from an emergency unit nurse and now I'm far away from Seoul and walking in the dark with Seonghwa's mother and Yeosang, waiting for Seonghwa and San's results.

It's funny how the world works.

"Yoonjin auntie?"

"Yes, sweetheart?"

I wait a little to answer, forming the sentences in my head. My brain tells me to think twice and say 'nevermind' instead but curiosity gets the best of me, even though I hesitate to spill my words out.

"... Seonghwa and San... what exactly happened?"

I know I didn't want to hear it just yet. I wish none of it had happened but it wouldn't change what has passed despite how much I try to convince myself that by not hearing it makes it better.

"You haven't met a nurse who explained it to you?" Yoonjin questions.

"No," I shake my head, "they told us to have something to eat first."

Yoonjin nods slowly.

"I'm assuming they're planning to tell you at the hospital once the boys will be up for us... but, like they said it was a car accident," she continues. I hear the hint of sadness and distress in her tone of voice as she sighs.

"Thank Lord it wasn't the worst that could happen, although it wasn't exactly light either. By the looks of it, Seonghwa let San drive the car―I heard them talking about it since Seonghwa drove them here and they should take turns. Seonghwa must've been too tired or something and lets San go without much arguing. The boy never usually lets San drive for that long, I know he was planning to switch halfway anyway.

"According to the security cameras, there was a speeding trailer truck about to cross an intersection. Sani probably got spooked by it as he was about to turn the corner and made him panic. We all know how Sani's like once he's panicked―he loses focus for a second. Apparently, the universe said that second wasn't in the correct timing and he managed to fail his brakes..."

When Yoonjin's voice trails into a quieter voice, I glance at her. The woman is furrowing her brows and I could see her fists clenching in her coat pockets

"...h-his brakes failed and the car skidded off the road, crashing into the corner of a building straight down the middle."

"If it weren't for the airbags..."

I feel my heart plummet down my chest, realising what she's trying to say. Next to me, Yoonjin takes a shaky breath but smiles at me despite that.

"I'm just glad nothing worse happened to my babies, and please don't worry yourself, Hyeshin," Yoonjin reassures me, pulling me into a warm side hug. "They'll be fine. Something like this happened back in their high school days, although less severe. If they made through that, they'll be strong enough to make it through this one."

"Obviously, we don't know what injuries they have now since they haven't reported anything back but let's hope it's not the harshest for them."

A hand snakes into my hold and squeezes my palm. I turn to Yeosang, who gives me a smile of assurance.

"I'm just so worried," I say, barely a whisper into the cold night. "I know you're worried too, why don't you look as affected by it?"

"Because I know they'll jump back on to their feet in no time. Life comes with a lot of obstacles, some events already written in the stars before they split and you can't change anything in it. The stars have already written all your highs and lows; though whichever comes first depends on you and your journey. I can feel it, I know the stars know they don't want to leave us this soon."

"Seonghwa, especially, I know he has a lot waiting for him as soon as he wakes up―one of them being you. He doesn't want to worry people, he always gets better. His energy isn't fading any time soon, okay, sweetie? I don't want you to waste your energy on worrying too much, that will exhaust you."

I bite on my bottom lip.

"Do you want another coffee once we get back to the hospital?" Yeosang asks.

"Yes please."

"So I'm guessing we're staying until we hear from Seonghwa and San?"

"Oh God, yes."

Out of my peripheral vision, I see Yoonjin smiling at the both of us.

"Now don't keep that frown on your beautiful face, Hyeshin," Yoonjin tells me, rubbing the back of my shoulder soothingly. "How about I tell you more stories?"

My eyes slowly open. The joints of my neck are sore from my head hanging low―I must've drifted off without knowing. I'm still sitting on the chair I was on earlier, my now empty coffee cup placed on the floor by the chair legs. The halls are a bit quieter than before, the night must be late already.

Yeosang is next to me, head threatening to drop to my side. By the looks of it, he's sleeping too. Poor guy must be tired.

My eyes roam the waiting room. Lights are still bright, but they somehow make the space look a little dimmer. It's cold despite the heater buzzing with life, or maybe it's just my nerves but I'm not sure. I can feel chilly air seep through the walls.

There are still some people in the room, although not as much as before. Most of which are, like Yeosang and I previously, are asleep or on the verge of slumber. Everyone but Yoonjin.

Seonghwa's mother stands in the corner of the room by a glass case protecting a pin board. It looks like she's absorbed in a call, speaking in hushed tones as to not disturb the atmosphere.

Yoonjin notices me waking up and smiles at me before continuing on her conversation.

The first thing I do after is reach down for my coffee cup and fish my phone from my pocket. I press on the home button―it's eleven. After throwing my cup in the bin, I busy myself with scrolling aimlessly through the many apps in my phone, now feeling not so sleepy.

Breaking the eerily serene quiet was the sliding doors as it opens and out walks a doctor still in his pair of scrubs and a nurse carrying a clipboard in her arms, conversing together in a serious manner. The doctor stops by the front desk whilst the nurse goes behind the counter, eyes searching over a rack of files.

My eyes glance at Yoonjin who appears to notice the presence of the two medical workers. The woman hurriedly switches her phone off and slips it into her handbag, approaching the doctor when the two seemingly catch each other's gazes.

"Relative of Mr Park Seonghwa and Mr Choi San?" the doctor speaks as he turns away from the front desk.

My back straightens in alert, watching closely as Yoonjin replies with a yes.

I try to listen in to their exchange but I'm too far, feeling my anxiousness and curiosity rise a little higher.

So I wait for them to finish. I'm sure Yoonjin can feel my gaze on her as when she returns, she offers me a knowing smile.

"Hyeshin, Hwa and San are now in their ward, they are both asleep and hopefully will wake soon," she explains to me, "but unfortunately, only a maximum of two people can see them in one go. So I'll go ahead first and check up on everything, let San's family know as well, give them updates as we wait for them to come here―hopefully they arrive tomorrow morning. After that, you and Yeosang can go see them, how does that sound?"

"Oh... of course," I say, noticing that the doctor from earlier is still standing by.

"At first, I thought about you coming in with me but I feel like you won't be too comfortable with me being in there with you, so I hope that's fine."

"I'm fine both ways but thank you."

"Anyways, I'll head in now and I'll let you know what's happened to both of them too, 'kay, honey?" Yoonjin tucks a strand of hair behind my ear.

I hum in response and Yoonjin leaves with the doctor behind the sliding glass doors.

From next to me, Yeosang shifts in his position before he yawns, stretching his legs outwards and sits up from his leaned position.

"Was that Yoonjin auntie?" he asks, scratching his neck as he tries to keep himself awake.

"Yeah, Seonghwa and San are in their rooms already," I answer.

"Oh that's great then! Why aren't you with her?"

"She thought it'd be better if I went with you."

Yeosang nods.

He then turns to face me. "Are you ready to see them? This all happened so fast even I still feel like it's a dream. I can't imagine what it's like for their families, and I can't imagine what it's like for you―especially since you're connected to one of the two."

I shrug weakly.

"Well I'm already here, aren't I? There's no more ready or not I guess. I just hope they're both okay... since their uncle's wedding is so close."

"What time is it?" Yeosang asks after a moment of silence.

"Eleven."

"Holy fuck," he curses, "it's nearly been six hours."

"Do you think their injuries are that serious?"

"I can't tell for sure... but it's six hours."

I sigh. "I hope we're wrong."

"I hope so too."

Yeosang yawns again.

"You tired?" I question him.

"Yeah, pretty much. But it's nice being away from home for a bit―how long are we planning to stay here?"

"I wish I can stay until they get better or until they get off from the hospital but... my project..." I sigh again. I wonder how many sighs I've let out today. "If I could bring my paintings here, I would, but I can't."

"That's okay, Seonghwa and San will understand."

"But I feel bad."

My best friend places a hand on my knee and gives me a reassuring grin. "They'll be fine, Yoonjin auntie said so and I'm sure the doctors will say so as well. Your projects will get along great. Everything will pass."

"Thanks, Yeo-Yeo."

"Don't call me that, people can hear!" he pushes my knee away jokingly, chuckling a little. It's nice, it makes me smile and forget about where we are right now.

"You like it when I call you that," I tease him, watching in amusement as his face turns a faint shade of berry red.

"But it's embarrassing! We're in public, and we're not ten anymore."

"Okay... Yeo-Yeo."

Yeosang glares at me, but I know deep inside he doesn't think it's embarrassing. Not really.

+

idk what this chapter is meant to be bc i feel like it's lacking somewhere hoho but i hope that little explanation yoonjin said gave you a somewhat rough idea about the accident oof-

originally i was supposed to finish writing a future chapter beforehand (since i like pre-writing chapters) but i had the biggest block all week it's almost painful to go through sjdjkss but bc i love you guys so much i thought huh why not, yk?

have a great day!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.7K 518 22
☻ #𝐊𝐈𝐃𝐂𝐎𝐑𝐄 ; seongsang. ❝ it seemed as if opposites really did attract. ❞ yeosang, a teen who loves bright colored things, stuffed animals, b...
1K 30 1
"𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒌 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒅𝒍𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒎𝒖𝒄𝒉?" 𝑯𝒆 𝒔𝒄𝒐𝒇𝒇𝒆𝒅, 𝒉𝒐𝒘𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒃𝒆𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒚𝒆𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒎𝒂𝒔�...
2.6K 155 17
Forsaken realms are what we live in... Known as evil We make a living...and that's why... It's always a win or win situation. It won't stop... This...
55.6K 2.5K 23
Two people start talking on an messenger app not knowing that the other is actually their friend Trigger warning! Drugs, alcohol, mature content and...