33

YOONJIN and Yeosang both get along well. Very, very well, actually. They may as well be like the next Wooyoung and Hyekyung―I wont be surprised if they might even have inside jokes already. This is something I rarely see, Yeosang clicking with someone as soon as he meets them but I guess Yeosang and Seonghwa's mum are somewhat alike the more I hear them talk.

Even though I don't join in their conversation as much (mainly because I was too busy eating. I didn't realise how hungry I actually was until the smell of noodles went through my nostrils) it was still fun watching them interact.

Yoonjin describes herself as a 'cool mum'. Tells a million and one stories about Seonghwa and his brother when they were little with an animated look on her face, as if that same son she's talking about isn't in a critical condition barely a kilometre away.

Her reason was that Seonghwa wouldn't want her to worry about him and instead will want her to think of happy thoughts. Positivity tricks the mind, she says, maybe it's starting to work on me too. Worry still passes my mind every now and then but Yoonjin and Yeosang both distract me from thinking too much.

"Are you done?" Yeosang asks as I place my chopsticks down.

"Yep, let me just..." I bring the bowl up to my mouth and drink the soup down.

Oh my God, that's amazing.

"Food's great, right?" Yoonjin asks. She raises her hand for the bill.

"Mhm-hmm," I hum in agreement.

"I'll take you here again, later when things are better. I also know this other place that I for sure know you will like, by the way. I'll take you there too."

"How do you know such good places?"

"With great instinct comes great food," Seonghwa's mother laughs.

"Did you just twist a Spiderman quote?" Yeosang pipes in, sipping the very last drop of his iced tea so loud the sound could be heard from Pluto.

The older woman just shrugs.

Once the bill comes, she easily places her card on top of the little wooden board. A little part of me becomes side tracked―I wish I could offer my card as easily as her. This woman's got some class.

But then again, if I was her, I'd do the same.

Five minutes later, we are out of the warmth of the shop and back on to the cold streets.

Tonight, the moon looks brighter and the wind seems chillier. I can feel the cold on the tip of my nose and I scrunch the bridge feeling an itch of an upcoming sneeze. Some trees are blooming already, splotches of pink decorating the trees here and there. The street we are on is a slightly smaller one than the road the hospital is on, which means it sounds a lot quieter and the yellowish glow of the streetlights look a little creepier. I notice we are at a small neighbourhood, it explains the may cars lining up the street. Am I the only one who can somewhat taste the air through my nostrils? I watch puffs of smoke from the warm breath I let out.

You could see the upper floors of the hospital from here, through the thickening leaves of the treetops and behind the strings of cables of electricity poles. It's not far but it feels as if I'm walking to the ends of the earth.

My brain replays what happened in the previous three hours; starting from Wooyoung and Yeji, to never finishing that wonderful toast from the stand, to calling Seonghwa's phone to only get a reply from an emergency unit nurse and now I'm far away from Seoul and walking in the dark with Seonghwa's mother and Yeosang, waiting for Seonghwa and San's results.

It's funny how the world works.

"Yoonjin auntie?"

"Yes, sweetheart?"