The Philosopher's Stone (A Ha...

Por Resnica27

Life at the orphanage is all Ria has ever known. After her parents left her at the door when she was merely a... Más

THE GIRL AT THE DOOR
CAT ON THE WATCH
THE LADY IN GREEN
DIAGON ALLEY
A MONTH OF FREEDOM
JOURNEY FROM PLATFORN NINE AND THREE QUARTERS
THE SORTING HAT
MAGIC
THE BLONDY TRAP
QUIDDITCH
FRIENDSHIPS
SNAPE
A CHRISTMAS SURPRISE
THE STONE AND A DRAGON
THE UNICORN SLAYER
HAGRID'S MISTAKE
FROGED IN FLAMES
ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL
Up Next
Putting A Face!!!
Awards

COMING HOME

96 10 9
Por Resnica27

Mrs. Haans turned out to be excellent. It was like having Sister Adaline back with them, and after spending the day with her, Ria was happy to leave her in charge.

She told the others about her parents death and that she had a place in the community school to which her parents belonged. They were sad that Ria had to leave, but no one wanted to stop her.

"If they are all as good as McGonagall and Mrs. Haans then I'm glad you have a place with them. Just...don't forget us, ok?" Andy said to Ria as they sat on the floor leaning against the wall after dinner.

"I can never forget you, Andy. Or Ben or Mel, any of you. I'll be back for the holidays. And Mrs. Haans will take good care of the kids and you won't have to worry about everything anymore."

"So, you're leaving tomorrow then?"

"Yes. Most probably"

"What does that mean?"

"McGonagall can be a bit..enigmatic...if you know what I mean. She didn't really give me all the details. She just said she'll pick me up tomorrow but I might be back because the session doesn't start till September. If I am not...well...I guess I'll be able to send you letters. We'll see."

That night in bed, with Ben lying beside her. Ria took out her locket and removing the parchment, stared at the two pictures within; one of Sister Adaline and one of their group. The group picture had been taking by Mr. Muller in the library a few months back. Ria was glad she had it. It'd be a piece of home in a strange new place. Then again..wasn't she going home after all?

On the morning of 31st July, Professor McGonagall showed up as promised. Ria tied up the few clothes she owned in her patchwork quilt and then, have said goodbye to the other children and Mrs. Haans who'd be living with them, made her way out of the orphanage.

They turned a corner and Professor McGonagall came to a halt.

"Now, we need to get you to London. Do you know how to reach there in the Muggle way?"

"Well, I know my way around the underground if that's what you mean." Ria said a bit hesitantly.

"Very well then. We won't have to waste time there. Take my hand."

She help out one of her arms and after a moment of thought, Ria took it.

Immediately she felt McGonagall's arm twist away from her and the next second she was swallowed by darkness and the most unpleasant sensation took hold of her. She was being pressed in from all sides with the effect that she felt she'd burst. The memory of that afternoon in the kitchen came rushing back; Brutus' hand pressing down on her neck, choking her, her mind slowly going black. She was almost certain she was about to die when the darkness evaporated and she was left standing on a footwalk in broad daylight, still clutching on to McGonagall's arm.

Her knees gave way and she sat down in the middle of the footwalk. She was aware of her whole body shivering and her lungs struggling to draw breath. A crippling fear had taken over her senses and it was a few minutes before she could bully her lungs into proper working order and get back up to her feet.

"It can be very unpleasant the first few times" McGonagall said kindly trying to steady her.

Ria now looked around. She was standing on a footwalk of London facing a tiny, grubby looking pub.

The rusty signboard said,
"The Leaky Cauldron"

The people hurrying by didn't glance at it. Their eyes slid from the big book shop on one side to the record shop on the other as if they couldn't see the Leaky Cauldron at all.

McGonagall stirred Ria in through the door. The pub was old and rather crowded. People sat in rickety looking chairs, drinking tiny glasses of sherry.
McGonagall went up to the counter. The barman was old and toothless and completely bald.

"Ah, Professor McGonagall! What brings you here?"

"Guiding young Miss Greystone here. I wondered if you could do me a favour, Tom?"

"Certainly Professor. Anything, anything."

"I'll be leaving Miss Greystone here. I have some business to attend to and must leave at once. Hagrid would be getting here soon with another student. Would you be kind enough to introduce him to Miss Greystone here? He'll know what to do"

"Certainly, Professor. I'll do that. Miss Greystone will be safe here."

McGonagall then spoke to Ria.

"Hagrid will be helping you buy your school things. Now, there are two things I need to give you before I depart."

She searched the pocket of her dress and took out two thing; a yellowish envelope and a little golden key.

"This" she said pointing at the envelop, "is your letter from Hogwarts. I suggest you read it when you've found yourself a seat. And this is the key to your vaults at Gringotts."

Ria was about to ask what Gringotts was but McGonagall stopped her.

"Hagrid will explain everything. Meanwhile, you might direct your questions to Tom or anyone who looks friendly to you. I do not much like leaving you here alone but I expect Hagrid would be here in about an hour. Meanwhile, just stay here. Do not go wandering off. Ok?"

"Ok" Ria said. She didn't much like being left alone in the strange little pub.

"I'll see you at school Miss Greystone", McGonagall said and with a last smile at her left the pub.

Ria went over to a table at the corner and sat down. For almost 15 minutes she just sat there muling over all the incidents of the past two days in her head. She didn't feel either sad or happy. She just felt utterly bewildered and confused. There was so much she didn't know and didn't understand. She still hasn't found out anything about her parents except that they were magical just like her and that they apparently had left her something that required a key to open it.

Aubrianna Greystone.

She repeated the name a few times in her head. It felt strange.
Then she conducted a closer survey of the envelope McGonagall gave her. The envelop was thick, made of yellowish paper. Ria recognised it immediately as the same type of parchment which held the last note of her parents. It was addressed in emerald green ink.

Miss Aubrianna Greystone
Second Floor
Parker's Children's House
Southampton

Ria turned the envelope over. There was a purple wax seal with a coat of arms; a lion, an eagle, a badger, and a snake surrounding a large letter H.

Carefully, she opened the envelope and found two notes inside.
She read through the first one.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY

Headmaster: ALBUS DUMBLEDORE
  (Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

  Dear Miss Greystone,

  We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.
  Term begins on September 1. The Hogwarts Express leaves at 11 a.m. sharp from platform nine and three quarters of Kings Cross station on the same day. Your boarding ticket is enclosed herewith.

Yours sincerely,
  Minerva McGonagall,
  Deputy Headmistress.

"Was this supposed to be instructive?", Ria muttered aloud. She just felt it had added about a hundred more questions to her list.

They'll take a train from King's Cross to a school of magic?!
And what on earth was platform nine and three quarters!?

Utterly bewildered, Ria took out the second piece of parchment.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL of WITCHCRAFT and WIZARDRY

  UNIFORM

  First-year students will require:

  1. Three sets of plain work robes (black)
  2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear
  3. One pair of protective gloves (dragon hide or similar)
  4. One winter cloak (black, silver fastenings)

  COURSE BOOKS

  All students should have a copy of each of the following:

  The Standard Book of Spells (Grade 1) by Miranda Goshawk
  A History of Magic by Bathilda Bagshot
  Magical Theory by Adalbert Waffling
  A Beginners' Guide to Transfiguration by Emetic Switch
One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi by Phyllida Spore
  Magical Drafts and Potions by Arsenius Jigger
  Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by Newt Scamander
  The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection by Quentin Trimble

  OTHER EQUIPMENT

  wand
cauldron (pewter, standard size 2) set
  glass or crystal phials
  telescope set
  brass scales

  Students may also bring an owl OR a cat OR a toad

  PARENTS ARE REMINDED THAT FIRST YEARS ARE NOT ALLOWED THEIR OWN BROOMSTICKS

Ria felt like she had just read through a page of utter gibberish. She refolded the parchment and put both the letters back in the envelope, now turning her attention to the last small paper that had emerged out of the second letter.

It was the ticket as promised. But it wasn't anything like Muggle world tickets. The corners were overloaded with golden patterns. The crest of arms, which Ria now realised must be the symbol of Hogwarts, sat in the middle.

It read:

LONDON to HOGWARTS

for ONE WAY travel

Platform 9 3/4

Issued subject to the Rules and Regulation of the Hogwarts Express Railway Authority.

Ria couldn't sit still anymore. She got up and made her way to the barman who was busying himself cleaning the glasses.

"Tom?" , she asked tentatively.

"Ah, Miss Greystone! How may I help you?"

"Oh... well...I just wondered if I could ask you a few questions."

"Anything you need, little Miss"

Ria thought for a minute and then asked..

"What is Gringotts?"

The barman looked up at her.

"You Muggle-born, Miss?"

"What?"

"Muggle-born. Are your parents non-magical people?"

"No I don't think so. Professor McGonagall said they were magical. I never knew them. They left me at a muggles orphanage. That's where I grew up."

"Gringotts is wizarding bank, little Miss. That is where wizards store their gold."

"How do you get to Hogwarts? King's Cross doesn't have a platform nine and three quarters."

"Oh yes it does little miss! Muggles just never see it do they? All you gotta do is walk through the barrier between platforms 9 and 10. It's a kind of portal see? You got the tickit with you, you can pass right through. Easy!"

Ria was about to ask another question when the door to the pub opened again and a giant of a man stepped in. His face was almost completely hidden by a long, shaggy mane of hair and wild tangled beard. At first look he'd seem dangerous, but the eyes behind the tangle of hair were full of happiness.

The whole pub had fallen silent. Everyone seemed to know this giant man and waved and smiled at him.

"Ah, Hagrid!" said the barman with a chuckle.

"Not today Tom. Hogwarts business, see? Just guidin' young Harry here", said the giant slapping his hand on the back of the black haired boy standing beside him.

"Bless my soul," muttered Tom looking at the boy beside Hagrid. He was small and skinny and the shirt and jeans he wore looked old and oversized. His jet black hair stood up in the front in a tangle revealing a lightning shaped scar at the centre of his forehead. His bright green eyes were full of the same confused amazement Ria had been feeling ever since she discovered her identity.

"Harry Potter....", said Tom in a hushed voice, "what an honour"

For the next fifteen minutes the whole pub gathered around the black haired boy shaking his hand while he just stood there looking stunned.

"Professor Quirrell!" said Hagrid within the commotion.

"Harry, Professor Quirrell will be one of your teachers at Hogwarts."

At this Ria pushed through the crowd to the front. A pale young man was standing there in a robe and a turban around his head. From where she was standing, Ria could only see his back. An unpleasant little shiver went down her spine.

"P-P-Potter," stammered Professor Quirrell, grasping Harry's hand, "c-can't t-tell you how p-pleased I am to meet you."

"What sort of magic do you teach, Professor Quirrell?" asked the boy.

"D-Defense Against the D-D-Dark Arts," muttered Professor Quirrell, as though he'd rather not think about it. "N-not that you n-need it, eh, P-P-Potter?" He laughed nervously. "You'll be g-getting all your equipment, I suppose? I've g-got to p-pick up a new b-book on vampires, m-myself." He looked terrified at the very thought.

Once Quirrell moved along, Tom approached the giant-like Hagrid.

"Professor McGonagall stopped by, Hagrid! Told me to introduce you to little Miss Greystone here!"

"Ah, righ'! Yeh'll be Aubrianna, won't yeh? I'm Hagrid. Rubeus Hagrid, Keeper of Keys and Grounds at Hogwarts."

The giant extend a big hand and shook Ria's whole arm.

"Now, Professor Dumbledore has told me all about yer situation. I'll help yeh get yer school things along with Harry here!"

While Hagrid was saying a final goodbye to Tom, Harry spoke to Ria.

"You are at Hogwarts as well?"

"Yeah" Ria said with a little smile. It was good to be with someone who seemed to be on the same foothold as her when it came to the wizarding world.

"You have a really long name" said the boy looking kind of lost.

Ria laughed at this.

"I didn't even know that was my name until...like...yesterday. Just call me Ria tho. I'm not very comfortable with Aubrianna." Ria said making a face.

The boy laughed.

"You seem to be really famous" Ria observed.

"I didn't know I was until last night" Harry replied.

"Guess we're not much different" Ria said chuckling.

Then Hagrid came back and led them through the bar and out into a small, walled courtyard, where there was nothing but a trash can and a few weeds.

He turned and grinned at Harry.

"Told yeh, didn't I? Told yeh you was famous. Even Professor Quirrell was tremblin' ter meet yeh -- mind you, he's usually tremblin'."

"Is he always that nervous?" Harry asked him

"Oh, yeah. Poor bloke. Brilliant mind. He was fine while he was studyin' outta books but then he took a year off ter get some firsthand experience... They say he met vampires in the Black Forest, and there was a nasty bit o' trouble with a hag -- never been the same since. Scared of the students, scared of his own subject --"

Ria's head was swimming again. Vampires? Hags? How many other things didn't she know about yet?

"Aubrianna..."

Ria grimaced.

Hagrid let out a low chuckle.

"Don' like yer name?"

"It just feels.... odd. Do you mind using Ria?" she asked the giant.

He gave her a kind smile.

"Anythin' that suits yeh Ria. Now. Where's me umbrella..."

Hagrid took out a pink umbrella and started counting bricks on the wall.

"Three up... two across... " he muttered. "Right, stand back, you two."

He tapped the wall three times with the point of his umbrella.

The brick he had touched quivered -- it wriggled -- in the middle, a small hole appeared -- it grew wider and wider -- a second later they were facing an archway large enough even for Hagrid, an archway onto a cobbled street that twisted and turned out of sight.

"Welcome," said Hagrid, "to Diagon Alley."

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

183K 4.3K 64
(Y/n) Riddle, thought going to Hogwarts would be great, but it'll prove to be drama filling and dangerous. With Voldemort, family secrets, and prophe...
1.9K 68 33
in which Gemma Hilton has to solve a mystery that's gotten her best friend in trouble or. in which a girl navigates through yet another magical ad...
1.4K 6 24
Morana gets her heart broken for the first time. Draco, the love of her life, asks her out on a date, but days later she sees him on the Hogwarts Exp...
60.7K 2.2K 7
Her entire 5th year at Hogwarts felt like a cauldron boiling perilously out of control, ready to explode at any given point. So when Hermione catches...