Hopelessly Human

By TheQuietHufflepuff

Sam has mysteriously returned from the Cage after falling in... and has been around for a whole year. From a... More

Aesthetic and Playlist
1. A Day in the Life
2. Smoke on the Water
3. Oh Well
4. Takin' Care of Business
5. Vampires Will Never Hurt You
6. A Matter of Trust
7. Space Oddity
8. Whatever Gets You Thru the Night
9. Dust in the Wind
10. Back in the Saddle
11. Long Long Way From Home
12. Time (Clock of the Heart)
13. Gallows Pole
14. Mother
15. False Pretense
16. Let It Bleed
17. Play With Fire
18. Paint It, Black
19. Black Water
20. The Girl Next Door
21. Angry Eyes
22. White Wedding
23. Hey Man Nice Shot
24. The Show Must Go On
25. Man Out of Time
26. Death of a Clown
27. Gasoline
28. Beer Drinkers and Hell Raisers
29. Walking on Sunshine
30. New Kid in Town
31. Blood
32. Ready Aim Fire
33. Locomotive Breath
34. Mother and Child Reunion
35. Blood Brothers
36. Southern Thing
37. Welcome Back
38. Turn the Page
39. That Was Yesterday
40. Why Should I Worry
41. As Time Goes By
42. Nazis 1994
43. You're Only Human (Second Wind)
44. Goodbye Stranger
45. Eyes in the Sky
46. Pac-Man Fever
47. Eminence Front
48. The Unforgiven III
49. Send Me an Angel
50. Rockin' Down the Highway
52. Somewhere Over the Rainbow
53. Bad Boy
55. Who'll Stop the Rain
56. Tuesday's Gone
57. Just Another Night
58. Power Has a Fragrance
59. Ballad of a Thin Man
60. Knives and Pens
61. Mother's Little Helper
62. The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine (Anymore)
63. Let's Kill Tonight
64. Stairway to Heaven
65. On the Turning Away
Trilogy

51. I'm No Angel

83 2 0
By TheQuietHufflepuff

[I'm No Angel]

EXT. ST. ANNE'S CATHEDRAL; GARDEN - NIGHT

Two priests, one young and one old, were walking through the garden together.

"Monsignor Cassidy will join us for dinner on Saturday," the old priest said. "And mass, of course. He can be a pain, so let's have everybody on their toes."

They stopped as they rounded a corner and were confronted by two angels in gray suits.

"Gentlemen," the female angel greeted. "We're looking for a man and woman we believe you may know. His name is Castiel and her name is Azrael."

INT. ST. ANNE'S SHELTER FOR MEN; LOCKER ROOM - DAY

Various men were wandering about, chatting, getting changed, etc. Castiel stood from the basin and looked at himself in the mirror. He was wearing regular clothes as opposed to his trench coat. He picked up a tube and squirted a glob of toothpaste directly into his mouth as a man approached.

"Hey, Clarence," a man greeted. "How much longer are you and Josephine gonna be with us?"

Castiel chewed on toothpaste. "We'll be moving on tonight after work. It's time." The man nodded and hung up his towel. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

Castiel walked into one of the bathroom stalls. "Do you ever tire of urinating? I'll never get used to it. And I doubt my sister will either."

EXT. ST. ANNE'S CATHEDRAL; GARDEN - DAY

Various men from the shelter were helping with the gardening -  mowing the lawn, raking leaves, etc. Castiel was picking up trash but stopped when he noticed something on a rock. He touched it - blood. He caught Azrael's eye from across the way.

Finding more blood on a nearby gate, Castiel and Azrael followed the trail through to the back part of the garden where the blood trail ended at a large smear on a statue. Castiel and Azrael looked up to find the two priests from before, skewered through the chest on fence spikes with their eyes burned out.

INT. BUNKER - DAY

Dean was pouring himself coffee and Natalia was pouring herself tea. They looked like they'd just woken up and were both wearing a bathrobe. He strolled from the kitchen to the main room, then to the library. Natalia remained in the kitchen, debating what she wanted for breakfast.

"Sam! Dylan!" Dean called. "You two here?"

Right on cue, Sam and Dylan entered through the front door carrying a takeout container.

"Hey!" Sam and Dylan greeted. "Morning."

Dean checked his watch. "You've both been outside already?"

"Yeah. Woke up, went for a run - beautiful sunrise, Dylan took a picture. Anyways, cleaned up, went and got breakfast, grabbed you real bacon and eggs, extra grease, not even gonna argue, got Nat real bacon and French toast." They put the containers on the table and the three sat.

"Mm, perfect. Wait. You two went running?"

"What? Why do you look so worried?"

"Let's see. There's Cas and Rae, who Nat and I told to haul ass here. That was days ago. They're still out there. Um, there's you."

"Me? I feel great."

Dylan nodded. "He seemed good, Dean."

"I'm sure you do, but, Sam, you went through the trials," Dean reminded his brother. "Okay, that put a big strain on you. I think it's better if you took it easy, you know, and didn't act like you were-"

Ezekiel took over and said, "Possessed by an angel. And he does feel better. Dylan is right. A work in progress, of course, but I am slowly healing him."

"That's great. Um, but, Sam-"

"I have news. I've picked up chatter among the angels. Not all are wandering around in confusion."

"Yeah, some of 'em are after Cas and Rae."

"There is a faction that is rapidly organizing and finding human vessels to contain them."

"Led by Naomi?" Dylan questioned.

"I have not heard that name, no. But it is this faction's leadership who want Castiel and Azrael found. You seen, Dean, Dylan, I can be useful."

"So can my brother," Dean said. "So, why don't you go check your email, and if we need your help, we'll let you know."

"Dean. Dylan."

"I said we'll let you know."

Ezekiel switched back to Sam who said, "I mean, you know, Cas and Rae are human now. It's gonna take them a lot longer to reveal."

Dean said to himself, "I'm gonna get whiplash."

"What?"

"Nothing. Um, all right, so, Dyl and I were thinking that if the angels are organizing, then that makes them a lot more dangerous than we thought."

"Why do you think they're organizing?"

Dean paused, trying to quickly think of a way to cover his slip-up. "It makes sense. My point is, that the more of them that are after Cas and Rae, the worse it is, so... we gotta find them."

INT. PHARMACY - DAY

The pharmacist was standing at the front desk, watching a video on his smartphone. The video was titled 'GOIN' FOR GLORY HOUR' and was hosted by Reverend Buddy Boyle.

EXT. PARK - DAY

Another man was watching the same video and nodding in agreement with it.

On the video, Buddy Boyle said, "Folks, like I've been telling you, we're in that most sacred of times. A legion of angels reaches out for us. Can you feel their divine presence? And if you do, there's nothing to fear. Heck no! If the angels come a-knocking, you just let 'em on in and fill yourself up with their grace. This is the Reverend Buddy Boyle in the Goin' for Glory Hour wishing you a most blessed day. Amen."

INT. CHURCH - DAY

Buddy was preaching live from his church.

"And we're clear," a secretary said.

"Beautiful, Buddy," a man told him. "One of your best."

"Oh, well, that is high praise, sir, seeing as how you're an emissary of the man upstairs himself. Thank you, Bart," Buddy said.

The man was another be-suited angel. "It's Bartholomew. And I have to say, God has personally assured me that he is highly pleased with your work. He prepareth a special reward for helping him populate as true heaven on earth."

"Well, between you and me, it's practically reward enough being one of the few humans of all time to get orders from an actual angel. But if he prepareth I am honored."

"Terrific."

The secretary, a young girl, entered. "Sir? I'm ready."

"Oh?"

"Let me be a vessel for the divine. I give myself over to you."

"Oh. Hallelujah!" Buddy exclaimed.

"Yes," Buddy said. "Well... if you're certain."

She nodded excitedly. Bartholomew raised his hands and two streams of brilliant white light entered through the windows. They converged and entered the secretary through her mouth.

Buddy smiled a moment before a crunch was heard. The secretary started breathing heavily as she began bleeding from every place and her face started melting. She finally screamed and exploded, blood splattering around the room.

"Bart!" Buddy cried. "What the hell?"

"Buddy... the simple truth is, not all who are willing are designed to contain Heaven's grace," Bartholomew explained. "We have to expect a casualty now and then. It's a small price to pay when you think about it."

"Like the lamb of the sacrifice."

"Sure."

INT. BUNKER - LIBRARY - DAY

Dean and Natalia were poring over a map of Colorado and the surrounding states. There were radius circles drawn at intervals around Colorado. Sam and Dylan were on their laptops.

"All right, so this is where Cas and Rae called from on Tuesday - Longmont, Colorado," Dean said. "Each circle is how far they might have gotten in one, two, and three days out. If they're even still hanging together."

"Okay," Sam noted. "Here we go. The same day they called from Longmont, weird murder, same town. Cops said it was like the girl was blasted from the inside out."

"Angel kill," Natalia realized. "They might have just missed Cas and Rae. Unless they got 'em."

Sam and Dylan opened another news article on their laptops and the latter asked, "You two got an Emory Park, Iowa?"

Dean checked the map. "Emory Park, Emory Park. We just saw that. Yeah, a couple days outside of Longmont."

"Okay, because two priests were murdered there Thursday," Sam informed. "Eyes blown out, evidence of torture. They were impaled on posts."

"Torture?" Dean and Natalia asked.

"Yeah," Sam and Dylan confirmed.

"Angels are looking for info," Dean said. "Man, if they get to them before we do..."

"Yeah."

EXT. HOMELESS CAMPING GROUND - NIGHT

A group of homeless people were taking shelter for the night. Castiel and Azrael were eating a tin of beans with another homeless man.

"Thank you," Castiel said. "We were so hungry. Very kind of you to share."

"It's okay," the homeless man told them.

"You know, we're finding that often people with the least to give are the most generous. Anyway... she and I've got to plan better. We ran out of food very quickly today."

"You're both new at this, aren't you?"

Azrael nodded. "Food... sleep, or passing gas, it's all very strange, and some of it isn't pleasant. And it's occurred to us that one day we're gonna die."

Castiel, Azrael and the homeless man looked at each other curiously.

Castiel spoke. "Well... she and I better try falling asleep. It's quite a process, isn't it?"

"Try counting sheep," the homeless man suggested.

"Thanks once again."

Castiel and Azrael got up and walked to an abandoned bus. They stepped in and found a seat, using their jackets as a pillow and his overshirt as a blanket.

"What sheep?" Castiel and Azrael wondered.

LATER

Castiel and Azrael had fallen asleep on the bus. The pharmacist from before was standing outside, watching them. Castiel and Azrael woke and looked outside but the pharmacist was suddenly gone. He was obviously possessed by an angel.

Castiel and Azrael, wielding his angel blade and her archangel blade, cautiously got up and went to open the door of the bus. There was no one outside. They turned to go back to their seat only to be face-to-face with the pharmacist. He sliced Castiel and Azrael across the shoulders and they gasped in pain.

"You're both human?!" the pharmacist cried.

Castiel and Azrael swiftly turned and stabbed the pharmacist in the stomach. A bright white light shined from the pharmacist's eyes and mouth before he finally collapsed. Castiel and Azrael gasped again, their shoulders bleeding profusely.

EXT. ST. ANNE'S CATHEDRAL; GARDEN - DAY

Dean was in his FBI suit and Natalia was in her FBI dress talking to the man from the shelter that was speaking to Castiel previously.

"Yeah. Yeah, I think I know this guy and girl you're both talking about," the man said. "Sounds like Clarence and Josephine."

"Clarence? Josephine?" Dean repeated.

"The church - it runs a shelter in town, and we work here. We earn our keep. Clarence and Josephine spent a couple nights, and then had to move on."

"And they left the day the bodies were found?" Natalia questioned.

"Matter of fact. Oh, man, those poor guys were a mess. They must have suffered bad. But at least now they're with the angels."

"I sure as hell hope not," Dean and Natalia muttered in sync.

The man's face fell.

Dean continued. "Clarence and Josephine happen to mention where they were headed?"

"No. He just said they always had to keep going."

INT. IMPALA - DAY

Sam and Dylan were in their suits too, the latter typing on his laptop. Dean and Natalia got back into the car.

"All right," Dean said. "Well, they've definitely been here. Good news is they're getting cagey. They're using fake names - Clarence and Josephine."

"That's what Meg used to call them," Sam reminded him. "Of course, they don't get that's the name of two pretty famous angels, one feminized."

"What?"

Natalia looked at her brother. "Dude, "It's A Wonderful Life." Only my favorite Christmas movie ever. Seriously? How'd you not remember that?"

Dean shook his head.

"Dude, seriously?" Sam and Natalia said.

"What'd you and Dylan come up with?" Dean asked defensively.

"Another angel kill, outside a town called Lafayette, about a day's travel east of here," Sam replied.

"What is that, Indiana?"

"Yeah," Dylan confirmed. "Body was found in a homeless camp. Insides barbecued, the whole nine."

"Homeless guy?"

"No, a pharmacist from Dayton," Sam said.

"Huh."

EXT. CITY STREET - DAY

Castiel and Azrael were walking amongst the bustling people. They reached a hot dog stand and stopped, looking longingly at the food. They looked at the money that had in their hands - about $20 each in small notes and loose change. They glanced up at the shop next to them - a tattoo parlor. The two shared a silent conversation.

They entered the tattoo parlor. They handed the tattoo artist their money; Azrael gave about half, pulled up their shirts and pointed out a section of their abdomens. The tattoo artist nodded and indicated for Castiel and Azrael to take a seat.

INT. CHURCH - DAY

"Reverend Boyle's influence is astonishing," a female angel said.

"I'll never understand these people," Bartholomew commented.

"Our fallen brothers and sisters are finding vessels faster than we'd even hoped."

"They better. And then they need to help us find Castiel and Azrael. You know, the two you let slip through your fingers?"

"Our Dayton operative is tracking them."

"Good, because frankly, you're hanging by a thread." A male angel knocked on the door. "What?"

"Our operative did manage to find Castiel and Azrael, but Castiel and Azrael were somehow able to kill him," the male angel informed.

"What?!"

"They're a madman and madwoman, sir, and very dangerous," the female angel said.

"No. I'm very dangerous. Now you will find this madman and madwoman, and you will destroy them. Do you understand?"

"That may not be possible, sir," the male angel replied.

"I'm getting a little tired of you."

"Castiel and Azrael have vanished. We're unable to track them. They must have found a way to ward themselves against us."

EXT. CITY STREET - DAY

Castiel and Azrael were once again wandering through the noise and the people. They were trying to take everything in - he glanced from a hot dog stand to a woman's breasts to a supermarket, she glanced from a hot dog stand to a man's face to a supermarket. The entire place was noisy and crowded and confusing. The two were overwhelmed.

INT. CHURCH - DAY

Castiel and Azrael entered and walked down the aisle. They chose a pew about halfway down and sat. They looked around at the various angel decorations but their attention was drawn to the only other occupant - a woman in one of the front-most pews, praying out loud. Castiel and Azrael observed her curiously.

"Please, Lord," the woman prayed. "Mike is such a good man. Please send your angels to heal him. Thank you for hearing me. Amen."

She made the sign of the cross across her chest and got up to leave. She stopped when Castiel and Azrael spoke to her.

"Mike is your husband?" Castiel asked.

The woman nodded. "He's very sick."

"Yes. Humans - so fragile. I never - never realized how fragile until recently."

"I guess that's why we pray. When you get dealt such a bad hand sometimes, you need something stronger than yourself."

"That's a wonderful idea, but..." Azrael trailed and let out a sigh before turning away as she and Castiel looked at an angel in one of the stained glass windows.

"What?"

"What if you found out no one was listening? That God had left, that Heaven was out of business? What would you do?"

"But that's not possible."

"She and I think it's completely possible," Castiel said.

"You're both missing the point. It's not possible because I have my faith."

"But when we tell you the truth-"

"Your truth and her truth, not mine. Both your lack of faith doesn't cancel what I believe. That's not how it works. You know... I think you two might feel better if you two tried it my way. Someone is listening." She left.

INT. ANOTHER CHURCH - DAY

Bartholomew was speaking with a tough-looking man.

"The issue is, they somehow managed to ward themselves against us," Bartholomew said. "Our ability to track them has been jammed, which brings us to you."

"My kind, we always get what we're looking for, chief," the reaper replied.

"Yes, reapers. But some of you have taken your skill set to a whole new level..."

"That's the rumor."

"... and are willing to freelance. For a price. That's the rumor."

The reaper smiled. "Jumpstart me. How do I start looking for this... Castiel and Azrael?"

"I got one word for you. Winchester."

INT. POLICE STATION - DAY

Dean, Sam, Dylan and Natalia were back in their suits and dress and were walking and talking with the police chief.

"Damnedest thing I ever saw," the police chief said. "Vic had a stab wound, but it's not what killed him. It's like his insides were-"

"Vaporized?" Dean finished. "It's been going around."

"So, this guy was a pharmacist from Ohio?" Sam asked.

"Apparently," the police chief replied. "Total family man, religious. One day, just hops in the SUV, takes off, dies under a bridge here from God knows what. This is his stuff. Help yourselves." The police chief handed them two plastic evidence bags and left.

"Thanks," Sam and Dylan said.

"Thanks," Dean and Natalia repeated.

They opened the bags and went through the contents, which were standard - wallet, keys, watch, pen, etc. Sam picked up a miniature Bible while Dean and Natalia started flicking through the man's smartphone.

"Anything?" Sam and Dylan asked.

"Nothing weird," Dean replied. "Crappy music, a lot of podcasts, all the same one. Reverend Buddy Boyle's 'Goin' for Glory Hour'."

"Cops said he was religious," Sam informed.

Natalia played one of Buddy's podcasts.

On the video, Buddy said, "Join me in a heapin' helpin' of glory, friends. When you're in the presence of the divine, you'll know it. And if you let yourself, you'll hear it." Dean skipped ahead in the video. "So, remember, when angels come a-knocking, let 'em on in."

Dean, Sam, Natalia and Dylan shared a knowing look.

"Angels can't possess a human without permission, right?" Sam questioned.

"Yep," Dean and Natalia confirmed.

"So, what, they're using this guy to find vessels?" Dylan wondered.

"It's a willing audience," Dean reasoned. "They're all religious types like our pharmacist here. Buddy Boyle was telling them to let the angels take them over."

"Like body snatchers," Sam guessed.

"How big a reach does this Boyle guy have?" Natalia inquired.

Sam did a quick search on the computer and brought up the 'Global Influence' page from Buddy's website. There were red dots over virtually all major cities in the entire world.

"Pretty much the entire planet," Sam said.

They got up and left quickly, revealing the reaper was sitting behind them the entire time.

EXT. ALLEY - DAY

Castiel and Azrael were going through a dumpster when a kitchen hand dumped some food scraps in a nearby can and went back inside. Castiel and Azrael moved over to the scraps; he dug through them, pulled out a pickle and sniffed it. He stopped, dropped the pickle and turned as a woman approached them from behind.

"We're not stealing," Castiel told the woman.

"And I'm not a cop," the woman replied.

"It's a shame, isn't it? So much is wasted when there's so many hungry. We never knew."

The woman pulled a plastic-wrapped sandwich from her bag and held it up. "Peanut butter and jelly?" She walked up to Castiel and Azrael and offered it to them, smiling. "It's pretty good."

"No, we can't take your food," Azrael said.

"You two aren't. I'm giving it to you two. Look, I've had hard times myself." She put the sandwich in Castiel's hand and walked to the backdoor of a nearby restaurant.

"Thank you," Castiel and Azrael told them woman.

"Yeah," the woman replied, smiling and nodding before going inside.

Castiel ripped the sandwich in half and offered one half to Azrael and she took it.

EXT. HOMELESS CAMP - DAY

Dean, Sam, Natalia and Dylan were trying to convince the homeless man to give them information on Castiel and Azrael.

"Look, for the billionth time, we're just looking for some information, okay?" Dean said. "We're not cops. I mean, do we look like cops?" The homeless people looked amongst each other and nodded. "Well, we're not cops. We just need to find a couple friends who are in it deep."

"Look, they might have been here the night that guy was killed," Sam told them. "Were any of you here then?"

The homeless man from before came down. "Maybe."

"Oh, okay. Uh, they-they've both got dark hair, blue eyes, a little out of it," Dean informed.

"They maybe called themselves Clarence and Josephine?" Dylan added.

"Clarence and Josephine, yeah," the homeless man said.

"You three talk?" Natalia asked.

"Not much."

"And, uh...?" Dean trailed.

"I think they were on the run."

"You see them with the vic - uh, victim?" Sam questioned.

"No."

"Okay..." Dean and Natalia began.

"They went off to sleep in another part of the resort."

"Where?"

"They're not there now."

The reaper appeared in the distance, watching Sam, Dean, Natalia and Dylan.

"Where'd they go?" Dylan asked.

"I saw them running from a bridge to the highway," the homeless man replied.

"You gonna pay us for all this teeth pulling?" Dean retorted. "Where were they headed?"

"They flagged a truck heading north. Detroit, probably."

"Why Detroit?" Sam questioned.

"Truck was marked "Motor City Meats"."

EXT. ALLEY - NIGHT

It was raining heavily. Castiel and Azrael were huddled up against the wall in a tiny alcove, but they were still soaked through. They were next to the door that the woman went through before. She came out and opened her umbrella. She made to run home through the storm, but stopped and turned when she noticed Castiel and Azrael.

INT. APARTMENT - NIGHT

The woman had taken Castiel and Azrael home to shelter them from the storm. Castiel and Azrael gazed around as she locked the door.

"Wow, it's beautiful," Castiel and Azrael commented.

"If you two say so," the woman replied. "Uh, just so you two know, I don't usually bring home strange men or strange women."

"Are we strange?" Castiel asked.

"No, I mean... men and women I don't know. But you two look like you've both been to Hell and back."

"Yeah, a few times."

"April, by the way. April Kelly."

"Um, Castiel. And this is Azrael."

"One name?"

"Yeah, like God," Azrael answered.

"Or Cher?"

April smiled and handed them both a towel. As Castiel and Azrael dried themselves, she glanced at their shoulder wounds. "Uh, not to raise any red flags, but do you two know your shirts are soaked in blood?"

EXT. CONVENIENCE STORE - NIGHT

Dean, Sam, Natalia and Dylan were exiting the store and heading back to the car, Dean and Natalia each carrying a bag of groceries.

"Look at these chemicals," Sam said. "Do you and Nat even read the label?"

Dean snatched it and put it back in his bag. "No. She and I read "pie". The rest is just "blah, blah, blah". Listen, when we hit Detroit, we start with the homeless shelters."

"Right, then go to the encampments, soup kitchens."

"Check out places that they night have gone looking for work," Natalia suggested.

They passed a payphone the reaper was standing at. He followed them inconspicuously.

"Yeah, and Dylan and I can - we can check for vagrancy arrests."

"Yeah, and you all know..." Dean mimed a head exploding. "Odd deaths."

Dean, Sam, Natalia and Dylan rounded a corner, but when the reaper followed them seconds later, they were no longer in sight. The reaper started down the street cautiously when Dean, Sam, Natalia and Dylan appeared out of nowhere and slammed him up against a chainlink fence, angel blades and Ruby's knife against his throat.

"Who are you?!" Sam and Natalia demanded.

"Why are you trailing us?" Dean asked.

INT. APARTMENT - NIGHT

April dropped Castiel and Azrael's rags into the sink. Castiel was sitting on the bed, shirtless. Azrael was sitting on the bed, her sleeve rolled up.

"You two call this rag a bandage?" April questioned. "You're both lucky these weren't infected. What happened to the guy who attacked you two?"

"Oh, we stabbed him. He exploded," Castiel replied.

April mulled his words over and seemed to decide he was joking. "Funny. You two don't look like the knife-fight type. Or the homeless type, actually." She started cleaning their wounds.

"Yes," Azrael said. "Well... I guess we trusted the wrong person. Me less so, I'd like to think."

"Bad investment advice?"

"No, vanity," Castiel corrected. "I thought I was more important, more effective than I am, that I could... fix everything. I persuaded my friend here. Now all we can do is keep running."

"Well, all patched up, but, God, your delts are in knots. You two got to relax."

"Ah, it's all new to us. Hunger. Cold. This feeling, being all alone."

"You're not alone tonight. Neither of you are." She kissed him gently on the cheek, but stayed close and eventually kissed him on the lips. Castiel seemed surprised at first, but joined in.

Azrael smiled awkwardly. "I think I'm going to head to bed. Um, enjoy your night."

INT. ABANDONED WAREHOUSE - NIGHT

The reaper's wrists were cuffed to an overhead beam. Dean, Sam, Natalia and Dylan were interrogating him, occasionally slashing him with the angel blades.

"So, Maurice," Dean said. "You bounty hunters are like the Delta Force reapers. Why would they sic you on Cas and Rae?"

"They warded themselves," Maurice replied.

"Naomi hired you?" Natalia questioned.

Maurice chuckled. "You really are out on the loop. Naomi's dead. Resting in pieces."

"So then who's running things now?" Sam asked.

"Answer!" Dean yelled.

"Her protégé, Bartholomew," Maurice answered. "He's an up-and-comer."

"So he figured we'd lead you to Cas and Rae," Sam determined.

"This Bartholomew, he organizing the angels?" Dean questioned.

Maurice didn't answer so Dean slashed him with the angel blade again before the reaper said, "That's all I know." Dean put the tip of the blade to Maurice's throat. "You can kill me. It won't matter. If I don't find Castiel and Azrael, there are others that will. But do what you want."

"Sure," Dean and Natalia said, pushing the blades through Maurice's throat and killing him.

INT. APARTMENT - NIGHT

April and Castiel were lying in bed, nude. There were lit candles everywhere.

"Well, say something," April said.

"There aren't words," Castiel replied.

"So, that was okay?"

"Very much so. Um... what I did, that was, uh... correct?"

"Very much so."

Castiel smiled. "Good."

The two laughed.

"Castiel... I can't help thinking, all that stuff you and Azrael said earlier, blame... and guilt. It seems like you're both taking on a heavy load for such a sweet guy and nice girl."

"Believe me, I've done a lot of foolish, unwise things, and so has she because she sometimes chooses to follow me. I'm no angel."

"Well, whoever you trusted... can't they help undo this?"

"We're not in contact."

"So what happens next for you and her?"

"More of this, I hope. I don't know about her."

They smiled and started making out again.

EXT. ROAD - DAY

The Impala drove into Detroit.

INT. APARTMENT - DAY

Castiel came out of the bedroom, buttoning his shirt. Azrael came out of the other bedroom, putting her hair in a braid. April was cutting fruit in the kitchen.

"Oh. I washed both your stuff," April told them. "Find everything okay?"

Castiel and Azrael checked through their things and exchanged a look. "As a matter of fact, something is missing. From us both."

"Oh?"

"It was with our jackets. They're hard to describe."

She spun around, suddenly threatening, with his angel blade and her archangel blade in her hand and held them to their throats. "Oh, you mean these?"

EXT. PARKING LOT - DAY

Dean pulled the car to a stop. Natalia, who hadn't slept the night before, was fast asleep on Dylan's lap.

"What's up?" Sam asked.

"We've been chasing our tails all night. No Cas and Rae. "What's up?" I'm fried. Dylan's fried. Nat's fast asleep. I think it's time for plan B," Dean said.

Dylan frowned. "We're not following."

Dean spoke meaningfully to Ezekiel. "I'm letting you know."

"O-okay," Sam replied. "Um, letting me know what?"

Dean's tone got stronger. "I'm letting you know."

Ezekiel took over. "What is it, Dean?"

"We need your help."

"That is flattering. We've been through this. I cannot be making public appearances."

"Oh, I understand that. I'm not asking you to walk the red carpet, Zeke, okay? We need your help finding Cas and Rae."

"It cannot be done. They are warded."

"I know that, but maybe you could use your intergalactic, hyperspace X-ray eyeballs to find someone else. There might be a reaper for rent on their asses. Could you find them?"

"I could try." He began focusing his angel radio.

INT. APARTMENT - DAY

Castiel and Azrael were tied to large lounge chairs. April was twirling his angel blade menacingly while holding the archangel blade in the other hand.

"It's probably pointless, washing the blood out of your shirts, really," April said. "It's the kind of thing the real April would have done." She took a bite of the grapefruit she'd cut earlier. "I miss being her. Very sweet. Didn't mind me entering her one bit."

"Why didn't you just attack us right away?" Castiel asked.

"My briefing said you two were dangerous and powerful. And you two did arrive armed, so... I needed information, so I had to gain both your trust."

"And that required intercourse?"

She laughed. "Well, I am allowed some leeway for executive decisions." She straddled his lap. "And I can't say I didn't find you attractive."

"Who hired you?" Azrael demanded. "With Naomi gone, things were in chaos."

"New sheriff in town, Cas, Rae. He hired a bunch of us. I got lucky." She got up and walked behind Castiel and Azrael, standing between their chairs. "Enough questions from you two. I have several of my own. Let's talk about your buddy Metatron." She made a quick slice on their injured shoulders.

EXT. ROAD - DAY

The Impala sped further into the city.

INT. APARTMENT - DAY - LATER

Castiel and Azrael's shirts were wide open and hey had multiple large gashes across their chests, bleeding everywhere. Azrael's white bra had turned crimson.

"All right, let's try this again, and one of these times, we'll get it right," April said.

"We knew nothing about Metatron's spell," Castiel told her. "We didn't know he was gonna cast the angels out of Heaven. We were cast out, too."

"Oh, dear. Nothing but reruns on this channel." She stabbed them lightly in the chest and held them there. "These blades are marvelous, aren't they? They really do a number on humans, too."

"I told you last night, and I meant it. We were naïve. We had no idea what he was planning."

She pushed the blades in a little further. "You're lying. It's known you two helped Metatron enter Heaven, collaborated with him."

"'Cause we were going to restore Heaven, bring the factions together." She sliced their chests again.

"He lied to us," Azrael said.

April grabbed the two of them by the hair. "You two were with him when he unleashed the spell. You two know how the angels were cast down!"

"We didn't know he was assembling a spell," Castiel told her. She stabbed them again. "We only knew that we were the final ingredients."

"You two?"

"Our grace. That's why we're human. He took our grace for the spell."

She put the blades to their throats. "Or you two gave it."

"It'd be unwise to kill us. If our grace were the key to empowering the spell, we may be the key to countering it."

"Are you negotiating with me, Castiel?"

Suddenly the door burst open and Dean, Sam, Natalia and Dylan ran in.

"Cas! Rae!" Dean and Natalia cried.

Seeing the hunters, April turned and swiftly stabbed Castiel and Azrael straight through the chest. Dean and Natalia drew their own angel blades and the four ran at April, but she effortlessly used her angel powers to fling Dean and Natalia into the kitchen bench, knocking the latter out, and Sam and Dylan into the closet across the room. She kicked Dean and Natalia's angel blades away as she made her way to Sam and Dylan.

"This girl's popular with all the boys," April said.

Dean eyed the angel blade and archangel blade still sticking out of Castiel and Azrael's chests. Sam and Dylan got up to face April, but before they could make a move, she punched them across the face and sent them back to the floor. April turned around just in time for Dean to stab her in the chest, killing her in a flash of brilliant white light. Dean turned to Castiel and Azrael.

"Cas. Rae. Cas. Rae. Cas! Rae!" He shook them, but they were cold and unmoving. His voice broke. "Cas! Rae! No."

Sam and Dylan regained consciousness and rose from the floor. Dylan checked on Natalia and sighed at the fact that she was still breathing.

"Sam, Dylan, they're gone," Dean told them.

Sam approached Castiel and Azrael, quietly and solemnly. Dean looked up and realized that it was actually Ezekiel, not Sam. Ezekiel knelt down and gently placed his hands over Castiel and Azrael's chests. With another brilliant white light, all of Castiel and Azrael's wounds quickly healed themselves.

Ezekiel finished healing Castiel and Azrael and stumbled back, weakened. Castiel and Azrael gasped back to life as Ezekiel slumped back to the floor, unconscious again. Dean went to help Ezekiel/Sam but stopped and turned with Castiel and Azrael spoke.

"Dean," Castiel and Azrael called.

"Hey. Hey! Yeah," Dean said.

Sam and Natalia woke, the former again, shocked by the scene they'd woken up to.

"And Sam, Natalia and Dylan."

"Cas. Rae. You're both okay," Sam realized.

Castiel and Azrael looked equally as confused as Sam and Natalia.

"Never do that again!" Dean told the angels.

"All right," Castiel agreed. "But we're confused. Azrael and I know she stabbed us, but we're - well, we don't appear to be dead."

Dean quickly invented another lie and turned to Sam and Natalia. "Well, you two got dinged." He turned to Castiel and Azrael. "And, uh, you two. Dylan and I made a deal with her. Said she wouldn't get kabobed if she brought you two back. She brought you two back."

"You two lied," Castiel and Azrael said.

"We did. I do that. Dylan does that."

INT. BUNKER - MAIN ROOM - DAY

Sam, Dean, Natalia and Dylan were walking and talking. Dean was eating a burrito.

"You know, you never answered Nat's and my question," Sam said. "How did you and Dylan know where to find Cas and Rae?"

"I told you two," Dean replied. "We went through Maurice's pockets. We found an address and took a shot."

Natalia frowned. "We never saw you two go through Maurice's pockets."

"What are you talking about? Dyl and I don't see half the nerdy stuff that you two do. It doesn't mean that you two don't do nerdy stuff."

Castiel and Azrael entered, wearing fresh clothes and looking clean for the first time in awhile.

"Azrael and I are really enjoying this place," Castiel said. "Plentiful food. Good water pressure. Things we never even considered before. There really is a lot to being human, isn't there?"

"It ain't all just burritos and strippers, my friends," Dean replied.

"Yeah," Azrael agreed. "We understand what you're saying." She glanced at Castiel.

"You two do?" Sam asked.

"Yes, there's more to humanity than survival," Castiel answered. "You... look for purpose, and you must not be defeated by anger or despair. Or hedonism, for that matter."

"Where does hedonism come into it?" Dean wondered.

"Well, my time with April was very educational."

"Yeah," Sam agreed. "I mean, I would think that getting killed is something."

"Something not pleasant," Natalia added.

"And having sex," Castiel added.

Dean choked on his burrito for a second. "You had sex with April? Rae, did you?" Azrael shook her head.

"Yeah, that would be where the hedonism comes in," Dylan noted.

"Shh."

Castiel and Sam nodded awkwardly to each other and a light, awkward smirk crossed Azrael's face.

"So... did you have protection?" Dean asked.

"I had my angel blade," Castiel replied. "Azrael had her archangel blade."

"Oh - oh he had the angel blade."

"Um..." Sam began.

"In any event, we-we do now see how difficult life can be and how well you four have led it. And we think you'll be great teachers."

"Thanks, Cas."

"Are there any more burritos?" Azrael questioned.

"Uh, yes." Dean pointed towards the kitchen and Castiel and Azrael walked away. Natalia followed, wanting more burritos. Dean chuckled and Dylan smiled as Ezekiel took over.

"Our little Cas. He gave it up to a reaper. That is-" Dean was cut off.

"Castiel and Azrael cannot stay here," Ezekiel said. "They will bring the angels down on all of us."

"No, no, they've got the Enochian tattoos. They're warded."

"They were warded when April found them, and she killed them."

"Yes, and you brought them back, and we thank you for that, but this is Cas and Rae, okay, who vouched for you two when we didn't know you from jack."

"Bartholomew is massing a force. We cannot stand an incursion. Castiel and Azrael are in danger, and if they are here, I am in danger."

Dylan frowned. "Wait, you're in danger? From who, the angels?"

"If they stay, I am afraid I will have no choice but to leave."

"Oh, no, you can't do that," Dean protested. "Sam's not well enough. If you leave his body..."

"I know. I am sorry."

Dean went into the library, where Castiel and Azrael were sitting at the table, each happily eating a burrito. Natalia had gone off to eat her burrito in her room, because she was in the middle of a show and wanted to continue.

"Epic food," Castiel commented. "Azrael and I can't get enough."

"Cas, Rae, uh, can we talk?" Dean asked.

Dylan crossed his arms and frowned, angry that Dean would actually go through with what Ezekiel wanted.

"Of course," Castiel and Azrael replied as the former pulled out a chair for Dean.

Castiel continued. "Dean, you know I always appreciate our talks, our time together. That goes for you as well, Dylan. And I know Azrael appreciates this as well."

Dean sat on the table and said, "Listen, buddy, Rae. Um... You two can't stay."

Castiel and Azrael looked at him, confused and hurt. Dylan pursed his lips, glaring at Dean.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

67.8K 2.1K 98
Never did you think you would have children of your own, especially with the love of your life. Now that you finally do, you have to realize that the...
3.1K 18 19
When a hunt goes wrong with a nest of vampires you are saved by the Winchesters. You've heard of the winchesters but was always a work by yourself ty...
103K 3.9K 53
Book 2 // REVOKE - An Original SPN Story Jackie Kaiser has trained and hunted for her entire life in order to build up her reputation as the notoriou...
42.7K 1K 26
Avery Reynolds had been through her fair share of trauma and heartache, but after one particularly horrific night, her life would change forever. She...