The New Kid: Year 1

By Grimsley_X

Life at Vaniville High was like at another school. You got the bullies, the popular kids, the nerds, the geek... More

The Food Chain Called School
The New Kid
The First Day Of Many Things
Unexpected
I Don't Do Friends
Mi Casa Su Casa
Misunderstandings
Kanto VS Sinnoh
Bonds and Evolutions
Preparations
First Impressions
The Carnival
Battle Begin!
Questions, Questions, Questions
Celebration
A/N
Dense
Discoveries
Darkness' Shroud
The Calm After The Storm
At Max Capacity
A/N
Reunion
We Need To Talk
Tag, You're It! (Not a chapter)
Playing Along
Privacy
Hidden Pages
Mission
Judge
A Week
Plans
A Day To Getaway
A/N
The Perfect Date
Interrogation
Remember

New Bonds

2.7K 47 56
By Grimsley_X

A/N: I'm bored so what you guys doing now? You guys under lockdown or anything? My day is essentially Wattpad and work.

Greninja POV

I landed on the ground as gently as I could. Once I caught my breath I stood straight up and helped the blond girl into a standing position, only to see her trembling, with fear etched on her face. She suddenly burst into tears and hugged me. I was shocked at first, but then I crouched down to her level and returned the embrace, letting her cry on my shoulder. She was terrified, and needed to feel safe, and until her brother was here, I would comfort her. I knew this feeling more than anyone, and I always had her to support me, to keep me safe...

Flashback

"Ursarrriiiinnnnnggggg!" The hibernator Pokémon swing a claw out and send me flying back into a tree. I struggled to stand up, only to see his claw glow with a white aura as he brought it down towards me, and I close my eyes, bracing for the impact. 

"Barrier!" I heard just before the thunderous roar of the impact echoed through the forest. I stood quivering on the sport for awhile, before realising I wasn't hit. I opened an eye to see a glowing blue barrier in front of me, stopping the hammer arm. Ursaring tried striking down again, but started to glow blue as he floated into the air, before being slammed down hard, knocking him out. I was still scared out of my skin, and backed up against the tree, curling into a ball. I shut my eyes tight, still feeling the pain from the attacks dealt. Then I felt the warmth of two hands as they pulled me into someone's chest. "Oh froakie, it's ok now. It's ok. It's ok." Delia whispered as I started crying. "I'm here now, and I'll always keep you safe, and I know when you train and become stronger, you'll do the same. But for now don't go wondering off into the forest alone." She said as concern covered her face. I nodded as I wiped away tears, determined to always protect her, as she did me.

Yet I failed, I couldn't return the favour when she needed me the most. But I won't fail another now. I'll protect Ash and his friends. I'll protect everyone, Pokémon and human alike, from the scum of the earth that took her away from Ash, from Pikachu, from all of his Pokémon, and from me. 

"Th-Thank yo-you..." Bonnie said between sobs. I just hugged tighter to let her know she was safe, and soon her trembling stopped, and she wiped away the last of her tears. She looked up at me and her bloodshot eyes widened when she realised who I was. "You're... you're the 'Crying Greninja'..." She said in bewilderment, while I face palmed. I hated that name. I heard her giggle and I looked back at her to see an innocently genuine smile on her face. "You don't like that name much do you?" I shook my head. "Don't worry, I'll find you another name. It's the least I can do to thank you." She chirped. I chuckled at the sight. 

"Bonnie? Bonnie? Bonnie!" Clemont emerged from the elevator and whipped his head left and right trying to find his sister, before finally seeing her and me walking towards him. He quickly ran over and wrapped her in a hug. "I'm sorry! I should've kept a closer eye on you... but I didn't... and you... you almost..." the blonde started crying as Bonnie simply hugged back. "It's ok, I'm perfectly fine, thanks to him." She said as she broke the embrace and pointed at me. Clemont straightened himself up before bowing and thanking me, to which I stopped him, giving him a nod to accept his thanks.

"Oh yeah, Ash is probably getting grilled by the group right now up there, so you might wanna help him." I realised then what just occurred, and that the entire gang had seen me in my bond form. 'Ah crap, this is gonna be a long night' I thought to myself.

Serena POV

"So you're the person who's been saving people from street thugs, gangsters and muggers?" Gary asked, articulating every word clearly, as if Ash wouldn't understand. 

"Yeah." He said quietly as he looked down at the rock he was playing with with his feet. 

"So on that day, when Calem and co. cornered me in that alley... that was you?" I asked, still shocked at the revelation. 

"Mmhmm." He nodded, before sighing. "You guys probably think I'm a weirdo now, running around playing hero, and I understand if you don't wanna be friends anymore... I'll just get going." His voice was laced with such sadness I wanted to run up to him and hug him. He sounded so vulnerable and open, yet ready for the rejection, and I don't know why but it hurt to see him like that. I don't know if it's because of his familiarity, the fact that he saved me, or just my own personality, but I didn't want to see him like that. But before I could say anything, May beat me to it.

"You're kidding right? Why would we ever think you're a weirdo for doing something good? Unless you do it in your underwear." She said, and we all shared a laugh at the comment.

"I can assure you I am fully clothed when I stop crime." Ash chuckled.

"Jokes aside, you shouldn't be ashamed of what you've done. You just saved Clemont's sister for Arceus' sake. She is like family to us, and we couldn't bare to lose her, and thanks to you we didn't." Drew said.

"Don't forget you saved Serena too." Misty added as I nodded in agreement. 

"And hero or not, you're still the Ash we spent the day with, who's a good friend." Dawn chipped in. "And we wouldn't want to lose him."

"Thanks guys." Ash said with a smile. There was a silence amongst us, comfortable one, as we all stood there. Before Drew suddenly looked at Ash wide-eyed. 

"Wait a second, that means that you're gonna use your Greninja tomorrow right?!" He blurted out.

"What are you talking about?" May asked, and all of us smirked at Drew, who started panicking even more. "Uhm nothing, I just made a little bet with Ash that's all, whether he would win against Calem." He quickly said before turning back to Ash, "Wait why am I panicking, you still lost to Paul, so I should be fine."

"Hehe about that..." Ash scratched the back of his head, a sheepish grin on his face. He looked cute when he was shy— WAIT WHAT?! What am I thinking. Before I could ponder about my thoughts, Drew spoke.

"You did lose to Paul didn't you? Didn't you?" Drew sounded like he was about to break down and cry.

"Well Ash said he didn't lose as badly against me as Calem, and winning against me still holds true to that." Paul said nonchalantly. In unison, the group turned towards Ash. 

"YOU BEAT PAUL!?" We all shouted, causing Ash to sweatdrop. "Uhm... Yeah..." We all gaped at him. Paul was, hands down, the top battler in our school, although he never tried for the title of school champion, and if Calem lost so badly against Paul, Ash would make easy work out of him.

"Well it looks like you're losing whatever bet you made saladhead." May nudged Drew, whose mouth was still open like magikarp. We all started giggling at the sight. 'If only she knew'.

"Wait, but why didn't you battle Calem previously? And why accept now?" I asked, confused as to why such a seasoned battler wouldn't battle.

"Well Paul's been pushing for me to get back to my old habits, and I thought if I could win a bet while doing it why not. As to why I stopped in the first place... Well... that's personal..." He muttered the last part. The rest of the group were ready to fire away with more questions when the elevator doors opened, revealing the Ninja Pokémon and two blondes.

"BONNIE!" We all screamed in unison, before tackling her into a huge group hug. 

"Geez... not... you guys... too... can't... breathe..." She said as we all squeezed her in a bone crushing hug, which we instantly released, realising she was turning blue.

"Hehe sorry." Dawn said.

"Yeah you just scared the hell out of us." Misty said.

"I already told Clemont, I'm fine, thanks to Greninja over here." She pointed to the water and dark type who stood beside her, who had transformed to have the red markings and raven spikes on its head. That's when it struck me. "Wait doesn't he look like Ash?" 

"Yeah when we bond he takes on some of my characteristics. Besides that, we share our feelings, memories, thoughts and even actions at times. We're perfectly in sync with each other." Ash said as Greninja changed back to his normal form.

"That's so cool!" Gary squealed like a kid.

"Yeah Ash-Greninja sure is." Bonnie said. We all turned to her with an eyebrow raised. "Ash-Greninja?" Paul asked. "Well yeah. He is Ash's Greninja, and when they bond he looks like Ash, so Ash-Greninja."

"Gren." The water type starter nodded. "Well Greninja likes the name, so I do too. Thanks Bonnie, it definitely sounds better than 'Crying Greninja'." Ash chuckled.

We asked a few more questions about Greninja and something called a Bond Phenomenon, before Ash started sharing stories of him helping people, then we broke out into our usual conversations and debates, until it got late.

"Oh no! It's already 9! Dad's gonna kill me if we don't go home now! Bye guys!" Clement panics as he drags Bonnie with him to catch a bus home.

"Bye guys!" Bonnie waved and we all waved back, even Greninja.

"I should prob head home too, gramps has me helping him do some research for him. Bye guys. It was nice having both of you today Ashy boy and Purp--" 

"Nickname me and I promise it won't be nice." Paul said in a stern voice, causing Gary to gulp before nodding and waving goodbye, leaving us all laughing.

"I've got homework to do for tomorrow. December you coming?" Drew said. May and him usually took the bus home together because they lived a house way from each other.

"What did you say Brocoli!" May started chasing after Drew who was already running away.

"I'll also get going, see you guys tomorrow!" We waved Misty off and it was just Ash, Dawn, Paul and I left. And of course Ash's two Pokémon, one of which was downing a bottle of ketchup.

"Well I guess we better get going too. Ready Paul?" 

"Yeah."

"Actually can I talk to Paul for awhile?" Dawn said shyly. I immediately picked up on this, but the boys seemed to be oblivious to it. "Yeah sure. You go on without me Ash, I'll see you at home."

"I can walk home with you," I offered. "We are neighbours after all."

"Oh that'd be great!" Ash said with a grin. I chuckled at his kid like behaviour.

"Alright then, see you two tomorrow!" Dawn said as she waved goodbye. And now it was just Ash and me. Alone. Talking a walk through the park to get to our neighbourhood at night, and my mind couldn't help but remember that I thought he was cute. I mean sure, his raven hair, compliments his hazel brown eyes that you can get lost in. That childish grin that brightens up your day. And those cute z-mark-- I DID IT AGAIN! I cursed myself as Ash was oblivious to my state, happily whistling to himself as we head home. 

"Hey uhm, I just wanted to thank you for earlier you know. Actually I wanted to thank all of you. You guys stuck with me." He suddenly said.

"C'mon Ash, we already told you, we'd be fools not too. Now push that thought out of your mind, and let's talk about something else, like... oh who do you plan on using against Calem tomorrow?i know he has a Ches--"

"Wait, don't tell me what Pokémon he has, I want to be surprised."

"Ok then, but anyway who's in your team?"

"Well Pikachu of course!" He petted the electric type on his shoulder. "But the rest... that'll be a surprise for tomorrow." He said teasingly and I mock pouted.

"You're no fun." I whined and we both started laughing.

"Well see you tomorrow then!" It was only then I realised that we reached our homes, and I felt kind of disappointed my night with him had to end there. 'Wait... my night? With him? What am I saying?... Do I... Like him?' I thought to myself as I put on a smile and waved goodbye before rushing into my own home, happy to find my Mother asleep, so I could think about Ash. Sure he's so easygoing and casual, and whenever I'm around him I feel so comfortable and talking is just so easy with him. And I have to admit he looks pretty cute. But that doesn't mean I have a crush on him... right? 'No, but your disappointment when he went home does.' An annoying little voice in my head said. Then I realised what it was saying was true. Crap. I have a crush, a crush on Ash Ketchum.

Paul POV 

"So what did you want to talk about?" I turned to face the bluenette, only to be met with her dazzling eyes. The entire evening whenever I cast glances at Dawn, she always seem so enchanting. The way she laughed, danced to the music and they way she smiled. And her pleasant personality made it so easy to like her. Sure I like her, but do I like her?

"Well uhm..." she immediately broke eye contact and looked at the ground as she played with her feet. "I know it's stupid. We only just met but I uhm..."

"You?..." I prompted her to finish her sentence.

"I like..." My heart started beating even faster as she continued, seeing a blush envelop her face. Does she like me? And if so how am I going to respond? Do I like her back? Should I say no? What would the others' think? And what abou--

"...Ash." And my mind stopped racing, my heart stopped beating, and I felt like I was just stabbed. 

"Oh."

"You think it's stupid, I know, I know. I'm sorry I wasted your time." She began to walk away, looking dejected. 

"Why tell me though?" I finally managed to ask. 

"Well... you know... you two are staying together, so I thought maybe I could ask you about him, and maybe see if you'd help me get to know him better and I don't know, maybe go on a date..." she said the last part softly, barely audible, yet it struck me like a truck. But a part of me saw how sad she looked and I didn't want to see her that way, so I surprised both of us.

"I will." She looked at me apprehensively as I mentally cursed myself for doing that. But I mean if I set her up with Ash, and all goes well, she'll be happy and so will he. And if their happy, I'm happy right? 

"Really? Thank you!" She tackled me into a hug and I realised then that, no, I wouldn't be happy. Crap. I have a crush, a crush on Dawn Berlitz.

A/N: What's an anourshipping book without complications right? ;)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

41.7K 1.8K 34
The whole point of Travelling across the regions for Ash was to not have a boring life with a corporate job, but now, 8 years later, he has both of t...
709K 9K 108
Ash Ketchum, with Pikachu and the rest of his Kalos team (except for Goodra & Greninja), return home to Pallet Town, where his former travelling comp...
1M 21.1K 67
5 years after Ash's death, the ultimate Pokรฉmon tournament is being held. All the best trainers are competing in it. A mystery masked trainer suddenl...