The Choice

By I_kill_cupcakes

For centuries, the royal family of Aridia has hosted The Choice, the competition where the eligible daughters... More

A/N
character aesthetics
ladies' files
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60
A/N

24

22.2K 742 217
By I_kill_cupcakes

The Demi ball came quicker than I'd expected. It was the last event before The Cut so everyone was busy. Fortunately, I'd managed to escape the frantic Imogen and Lucy and find solace in the garden, a book tucked under my arm. I'm too busy reveling under the soft breeze to see the workman walking right towards me with what looked like ball decorations. 

"Out of my way!" He grunted and I ducked quickly, barely escaping injury. 

"You always seem to be in some sort of a stitch," A familiar voice noted. 

I turned just in time to catch Carlos, his lips tugged in a mini-smile. It had been a while since I'd seen him and I had to admit, I missed our library rendezvous. Just because of the books, not because of him. 

"Don't you have a ball to prepare for?" I asked, feigning annoyance. I stuck my nose in the air like I'd seen the other Ladies do countless times. 

"I should be asking you the same thing," He said, as we walked deeper into the gardens, away from the public eye. 

"I'm not the one who has to make the biggest decision of the century," I joked. 

Carlos sighed, running his hands through his hair- something I'd never seen him do before. I had to admit, it caught me unawares as it seemed a very un-princely thing to do. Despite his new disheveled look, Carlos let out a breath. 

"If only you knew how hard this was, Madeline." 

I plucked off a daffodil and sniffed deeply before answering. "I wouldn't understand because I don't have 11 girls jockeying for my hand. But, I feel your angst." 

"Who do you think I should chose?" He asked, his green eyes meeting mine. 

I almost choked on my own saliva, something that happened to me too many times to count. 

He was asking me?

"Y-you're asking me?" I asked. "Well..." 

Thinking about it, I actually had no idea who Carlos could marry. Esme, obviously wasn't an option. I liked Carlos enough not to throw him to the wolves. I could've said Fiona, but imposing a Lady on Carlos just seemed wrong. 

"Actually, I haven't the slightest idea," I said, truthfully. "On the other hand, The Cut will help you narrow down the Ladies." 

"Any Ladies you think I should send home?" Carlos asked, smiling. He was obviously hinting at me not wanting to be there. 

"Well you should definitely send Esme home," I rolled my eyes. I ached to see the look on Esme's face if she was sent home at The Cut. 

"It's a little more complicated than that. Esme's father is a Marquess so she's pretty much guaranteed to last through The Cut," Carlos explained, looking tired. 

I folded my arms across my chest. "That's a load of cow crap and you know it. If ranks and titles matter then this competition is as good as rigged." 

"Trust me, Madeline, I hate it just as much as you do. But Queen Amelia has a lot of influence in who stays and who doesn't," Carlos sighed. 

"So why are you asking me for my opinion?" I asked, confused.  The royal family was extremely complicated. 

"Because it's still my choice, Madeline," Carlos said. 

"Fine. I think Lady Fiona should stay. She's as good as you can get compared to the rest," I shrugged. 

"Lady Fiona is...very charming, yes. But I can't seem to have a proper conversation with her yet. I actually wanted to make you a deal," Carlos' eyes met mine once again. 

"I'm listening...," 

"I would like it you stayed through The Cut. It'd help to have a friend in the competition," Carlos offered. 

I was dumbfounded. 

"You want me to stay through The Cut?" I asked, wide eyed. I couldn't believe it. There I was, hoping I would get the chance to return to my boring life at the Prowess Manor. Instead, Prince Carlos was offering me the chance to stay The Cut. I had never expected I'd even be considered as one of the final 6, talk less of given the option to stay. 

I was conflicted, though. I was tired of life at court and most especially, the other Ladies. I didn't want to have to mentally prepare for an event every other day and I missed the freedom of lie at the manor. On the other hand, there were many upsides to life at the palace. Including the food, Fiona, Amancio and even time in the library with Carlos.

"Yes, Madeline. It would mean a lot to me if you didn't leave me in the hands of the other Ladies," Carlos smiled. 

"Why are you asking me, though? If my name was announced as one of The Six, could I refuse?" I asked. 

"Well, no. Which is why I'm asking you now. I don't want you to do anything you don't want to," Carlos explained. "Though, this is not any confirmation, Queen Amelia still has a hand in the decision, sadly."

I let out a breath. "Fine, Prince Carlos. If you want me to stay, then I'll stay. But you said this was a deal? What's in it for me?" 

Carlos chuckled, "Unlimited access to all the books in the royal library." 

That was an offer I couldn't turn down. "Deal." 

"Deal." 

*** 

I opened the door to my room quietly, in an attempt to sneak back in. My plans failed, as I was welcomed by Imogen and Lucy who did not look happy at my disappearance. 

"Imogen, Lucy, how nice to see you this fine morning," I chuckled nervously. 

"It's afternoon. We only have 5 hours to get ready for The Demi Ball," Imogen pointed out, her arms folded across her chest. 

In my opinion, 5 hours was ample time to get me ready for the ball but my Ladies' Maids seemed to think otherwise. 

"Where have you been, Lady Madeline? The Demi Ball is one of the most important event this competition. This ball could make or break you," Lucy stressed. 

"Look, I'm sorry, I just needed a breather. But I'm here now, so make me a Princess," I tried to lighten the mood, realizing I'd succeeded when Imogen rolled her eyes playfully. 

"While you were off basking in the sun, your dress arrived," Imogen headed towards a trunk I didn't recognize. She opened it and pulled out an extremely simple, yet beautiful indigo dress. It was long sleeved yet the sleeves fell off the shoulders. It was adorned with white lace and embroidery and I couldn't help but marvel at the detail. 

Without missing a beat, I was rushed to get cleaned. 

"Have you been rolling in the mud, Lady Madeline?" Lucy asked, pulling a twig out of my hair. 

I chuckled nervously. I had to admit, Imogen and Lucy could be a bit scary sometimes. 

Soon I was in the dress and I stared back at myself in the mirror. I couldn't deny the fact that I looked decent, along with the immaculate updo Imogen had manipulated my hair in. 

"You look wonderful," Imogen met my eyes in the mirror. 

"The Prince won't be able to keep his eyes off you," Lucy whispered. 

"Oh, please. Everyone's eyes will be too attached to Esme or Ashley to even remember I exist," I said. 

"Well, we'll have to leave you now.  This ball has rendered the kitchen short of staff and if we don't go, Lady Alabama is going to have our heads," Imogen sighed. 

"Good luck!" Lucy squealed, as they left the room. 

I definitely needed it. 

As soon as they'd left a soft sound drew my eyes back to the door, where a piece of paper lay. 

Meet me in the Ladies' Salon.

Curious, I opened the door and looked around in the hallway, but there wasn't a soul. Who could've dropped the note? It definitely wasn't Carlos, as he was smart enough not to meet in the Ladies' wing. Or Amancio. 

My inquisitiveness overcame me as I walked out of the room, towards the direction of the Ladies' Salon. The hall was quiet, save for the occasional murmur from the rooms. 

My stomach was twisted in knots. Why would someone want to meet me in the Salon?   

Finally, I stopped just outside the Salon door and tentatively pushed the door open. It was oddly quiet, and it seemed there was no one inside. 

"Hello? You said to meet you here," I called, as I walked deeper inside. 

Instead of a reply, I was met with the sound of the door banging closed. Panicked, I turned around to see that the door was indeed closed. 

I pulled and pushed until I realized the door was locked. Someone had locked me in! 

"Let me out! This isn't funny!" I called, my heart beating rapidly. 

"I'll miss you at the ball, Maddie," said an all too familiar voice. 

Esme.

Oops, what do you think Esme is planning? Do you think Madeline will make it to The Demi Ball? 

I'm publishing Chapter 25 and 26 tomorrow so stay tuned. Don't forget to vote, comment and share and feedback would be much appreciated. Love y'all!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

598 118 21
With the Kingdom Heir coming-of-age celebration fast approaching, the search for a match begins. It is decreed a dance will be held; an anonymous mas...
ROYAL DUTY By isabel loyal

Historical Fiction

130K 6.9K 59
Natalia has her life all figured out. She only has one role. That is to protect her twin brother, The Crown Prince of Demotia, from every threat...
669K 12K 35
One event. Twelve ladies. Four challenges. Twenty clues scattered through out the castle. Winner wins the hand of the handsome Prince Derrick, and t...
5.8K 95 27
BODYGUARD ROMANCE SMUT 20- year old Medina Westerfield has spent her whole life in the royal spotlight, and when it's finally her turn to take the...