Not Her

By dieFabuliererin

Ahsoka takes the shot that Hardeen fires instead of Obi-Wan. More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23

Chapter 3

6.5K 161 117
By dieFabuliererin

"What happened?" Windu demands, storming down the corridor towards Obi-Wan with Master Yoda running by his side to keep up. "You're supposed to be dead."

Obi-Wan hides a flinch at Windu's choice of words and looks around, making sure nobody is in earshot. Everyone who had been on the landing platform has already gone through with Ahsoka and Anakin.

It was a mad frenzy to get the injured Padawan inside as the blood loss started to take its toll and she couldn't form coherent sentences. Anakin panicked and started yelling, which made Master Che put her foot down and start dishing out orders like it was her job.

All the while, Obi-Wan couldn't find the strength to tell Anakin to calm down.

"Hardeen hit Ahsoka." He says, trying to not sound like he's about to fall apart, "She fell off the rooftop and is in critical condition."

He needs to find out exactly how critical Ahsoka's condition is. The clones didn't do a field amputation, but Master Che wore a grim face when she saw the state of Ahsoka's leg. It can't be good.

Windu's expression doesn't soften in the slightest, "Our plan is ruined."

"Our plan was flawed." Obi-Wan retorts angrily, "Anakin and Ahsoka did not need to be in harm's way, and now a Padawan is severely injured!"

"Control your emotions, you must." Master Yoda says. "Severe injuries, Padawan Tano has sustained, but strong, she is."

Just because she can take the pain, doesn't mean she has to.

Obi-Wan doesn't think this is the right time for a lecture. Neither of the Jedi Masters had to see Ahsoka sprawled on the ground or hear her cries of pain. They didn't have to hold her head still like Anakin had to.

"You were meant to be the only one near the bounty hunter." Windu says, "Tano was supposed to be on the street level where the risk of harm was lower."

"She jumped up to the roof when she saw I was about to be hit." Obi-Wan drags a hand down his face when the memory re-surfaces in his mind. Ahsoka cries echoes around his head.

Kriff, his chest still aches.

You must rest, wise one.

"Look, it won't take long for Anakin to put the pieces together and find out we planned this." Obi-Wan gestures at his revealed bulletproof vest, sighs, "He won't take that well, especially if he finds out himself."

"Are you suggesting we disclose the secret mission to Skywalker?" Windu asks, looking murderous.

"It's better to tell him, then leave him to think-" Obi-Wan's voice cuts out as surging pain courses through his chest, forcing him to his knees. It's like electricity lacing through his rib cage, spreading through his shoulders and reaching the back of his throat.

"Obi-Wan?" Windu puts a hand on his shoulder, concern igniting in his eyes. "Obi-Wan, what wrong?"

He can't find the words to tell them about the pain. Obi-Wan doubles over and heaves, throwing up his dinner. He hasn't been sick since he was a Padawan.

His stomach spasms and he coughs, vision going spotty. He sees Windu speaking into his commlink. Master Yoda has a hand on his knee, using the Force internally.

Obi-Wan can't catch his breath.

///

Vokara Che is no stranger to traumatic injuries. She's the Chief Jedi Healer, after all. She can practically heal severe wounds in her sleep.

However, treating a youngling with said traumatic injuries is not her speciality.

When she receives a call that Padawan Tano has fallen from the top of a building, she and her entire staff are completely unprepared- especially when Tano is slipping into hypovolemic shock upon arrival at the Temple.

Once she's stabilised with a red blood cell transfusion- because Togrutas are one of the few awkward species that reject the more efficient transfusion of plasma- Vokara can examine her injuries without being rushed.

There is nothing she hates more than being rushed.

She's relieved to find Tano's back pain is only from a singular vertebral body compression fracture, and not a more severe spinal injury. Her back will be good as new after a vertebroplasty to inject bone cement into the fractured vertebral body, followed by a session with the Force to remove bone fragments from the spinal canal, and finally, eight to twelve weeks in a brace. Easy.

She can't say the same about her leg.

Vokara's known for being blunt, but she isn't a vulgar woman- usually. The Junior Healers around her jump when she sees the state of the youngling's leg for the first time, and a string of curses leave her mouth.

When she uses the Force to examine the internal damage, she swears again- under her breath, this time.

The damage starts at the bottom of Tano's femur, which was fractured. Bone knitters will fix that easily enough. They won't be able to fix her patella, which has completely shattered- she'll need a patellofemoral replacement for sure.

Every ligament in her knee is torn, and her tibia is broken in three points with one open fracture. If they use bacta, there's a risk it'll heal in the wrong place and cause more problems later on. They can heal complex breaks through the Force, but it's going to be one hell of a feat.

Vokara has faith in her abilities, but that doesn't stop her from telling her staff to have a complete lower leg prosthetic prepared. Unlike the clone medics, proper doctors only consider amputation as a last resort, although she's thankful they used a tourniquet or else they could be dealing with a very lifeless Padawan right now.

She plans to put the Padawan under general anaesthesia for the operation, but then the brain scan comes back. She curses again- kriffing sensitive Togruta headgear- and storms back to where Skywalker stands by his student's gurney.

///

She's doing every breathing exercise she's ever been taught, but nothing lets her escape the pain. It's fire and ice in her every cell. It's torture without any way to make it stop.

Through their bond and with one hand holding hers, Anakin is supporting her, expelling as much of the pain as possible. Ahsoka wishes his efforts were making a big difference, but they aren't.

She's been injured before, but never this badly. The medics have never used a tourniquet on her, and the few times they use them on the clones, Ahsoka usually never sees them again.

In some ways, she wishes it's Coric and Kix treating her, not the emotionless Jedi Healers who don't joke or provide reassurance or make any conversation at all. They would tell her she's conscious and breathing, and that's all that matters.

She shouldn't be so afraid, but she is.

She's terrified.

It's probably only been an hour since they left the restaurant, but it feels like a lifetime ago. Even with the heavy-duty pain meds, she's in agony. It doesn't help that surgery scares the living daylights out of her.

"Skywalker," she hears Master Che say, the Healer's bluntness coming through, "a word."

Anakin sighs- loudly- and Ahsoka wishes she could see his face, but she's strapped down. It can't be good if Master Che wants to talk to her mentor in private.

"I'll be back in a moment." Anakin murmurs, squeezing her hand before letting go. "Try to meditate; it won't be long until you go in for surgery."

Then, she's alone, and her panic sets in.

This isn't some minor injury. Her leg feels half-numb and half-burning, there's something wrong with her back, and her head feels like she's been hit by a speeder. As if that isn't enough, there's the pain in her shoulder from the blaster bolt, and the sensation of electric sparks running up and down her arm.

She tries to clench her fist, and she can't even feel her fingers.

You must relax, young one.

She closes her eyes against the harsh, white lighting and tries to deepen her breathing. It's impossible to focus on the details of what happened on the landing platform. One moment, Obi-Wan was about to be shot by the assassin, and then she remembers falling from the roof- she can still feel the wind rushing past her montrals.

It's odd; Obi-Wan has been absent since they arrived at the Temple. No doubt, he may be staying out of the Healers' way, but it isn't like Master Obi-Wan to be distant when her or Anakin are injured.

She hears the heart rate monitor begin to slow down, and she expels her fears into the Force- attempts to. She keeps reminding herself she's being treated in the Temple with some of the best doctors in the galaxy.

She's going to be fine- absolutely fine. Stable and conscious; she has nothing to worry about.

Her fears only intensify.

///

Hesitantly, Anakin follows Vokara into the corridor, leaving the other Healers to prepare his Padawan for surgery. With fentanyl and dobutamine coursing through her system, and a second blood transfusion already underway, the Togruta is no longer deemed in critical condition, although Vokara is still concerned.

Padawan Tano is now her top priority patient.

"It's unsafe to put your Padawan under completely." She tells Skywalker, crossing her arms over her chest, "Her head injury is more severe than I originally thought. Using a local anaesthetic is our best shot."

He runs his fingers through his hair, "She's petrified, Master Che. If she's awake during the op, she'll freak out and-"

Vokara holds up a hand, stopping him. "I would like you to scrub up and keep her calm during the op, Skywalker. Can I trust you to do that?"

"Yes, Master." He nods vigorously, already turning towards the door, "I'll let Ahsoka know."

She watches him re-enter the room where Padawan Tano is waiting. Skywalker has always been attached to Kenobi like glue- especially when they paid frequent visits to the Halls of Healing during his Apprenticeship- and he's no different with his own student.

Vokara's scrubbing her arms from the elbows down, minutes away from taking Tano under the knife when her second in command, Tyson, appears by her side. He looks worried.

"We've had a problem, ma'am." She frowns at him, wondering what could've possibly happened to Ahsoka in the three minutes since she entered the scrubs room. "It's Master Kenobi."

"Kenobi?" Her brow furrows. She knew he was with Skywalker when Tano got injured, but she hasn't seen him since they arrived on the landing platform.

"Windu called me, said Kenobi was clutching his chest, couldn't catch his breath, vomiting, the works. There's no coronary artery blockage, but I'd bet credits it was a myocardial infarction." Tyson sighs, "Whatever it was, he's stabilised, resting, and asked that we don't tell Skywalker."

Vokara pauses in her motions of lathering soap between her fingers, thinks out loud, "Acute stress-induced cardiomyopathy."

One of Tyson's eyebrows shot up, "I thought you said broken heart syndrome was a myth."

"I thought it was- for Jedi." Vokara sighs, turning off the tap with her elbow. "Seeing Padawan Tano in that state must have been traumatic."

"But Skywalker's fine." Tyson argues, "Why would Kenobi have been so shocked?"

"Good question." She also wonders why Skywalker didn't sense Kenobi's pain, but Tano's injuries have undoubtedly distracted him.

"Keep him under observation." She tells him, allowing a nurse to tie the gown at the back of her neck. "I'll deal with him after I operate on Padawan Tano. Skywalker's coming in with us, so that'll keep him out of the way."

"Yes, ma'am." Tyson nods and leaves the scrubs room.

Typical Kenobi to not want Skywalker to worry about him.

///

Anakin goes to Ahsoka's side once again, sees her quickly wiping her cheeks. It breaks his heart.

A few times during his childhood, he caught his mother crying, and she always tried to wipe away the evidence after she saw him watching. Seeing Ahsoka wiping away her tears makes Anakin feel just as powerless as he felt when his mother got upset.

"Snips." He grips her forearm and squeezes gently, "Master Che can't use general anaesthesia for your op, so I'm going to come in and help you."

She nods absentmindedly, and he can feel the entirety of her terror, even if she's putting on a brace face.

"Ahsoka." He stands over her, making sure his expression is serious. "You're going to be fine; I promise."

His words of attempted reassurance have little effect on his petrified Padawan. Hell, even he's shaking. It's only been an hour or so since that wretched sniper attacked them. As far as Anakin knows, no Jedi or clones have gone looking for the bastard yet.

He knows Ahsoka's injuries aren't life-threatening anymore, thanks to the quick response of himself, Obi-Wan and the clones, but he's also aware he's never been injured as badly as Ahsoka is right now.

She's one hell of a tough kid. Anakin watches as his student is prepared for theatre. Her bottom lip is hard, and he can tell she's holding back cries as the Healers move her around, as carefully as they can.

He reaches for their bond, providing her with an outlet for the pain and shock. Dazed on painkillers, Ahsoka sloppily projects her agony towards him at full speed, and Anakin feels his knees shake.

He was helping manage her pain earlier, but that was controlled, calm, composed. This is something else.

Kriff, he's going to be sick.

It's the most horrible type of pain. His eyes prick with tears, and his stomach rolls, but he doesn't shut her off. Just because Ahsoka's composure is as solid as steel doesn't mean she has to take the pain on by herself.

Anakin has to stabilise himself against the wall when Ahsoka yelps and he becomes nauseous with the pain she's feeling. It's her leg this time- more specifically, her foot. The Healers are taking away the splint before they move out of the triage room.

Ahsoka's left foot was the least of Anakin's problems earlier, but now he catches a glimpse of it, and he feels bile in his mouth. Her toes were crushed inside her boot when she landed roughly. He has to turn away, full well knowing the small, disfigured digits will have to be amputated and replaced.

The best way to explain the pain she's feeling is by imagining a nail under his toenail, and then kicking a brick wall.

"Anakin..." Ahsoka gasps through sobs, her right hand reaching out for him whilst her left one is limp across her stomach.

"I'm here." His weak stomach aside, Anakin steps forward to intertwine their fingers. "I'm not going anywhere."

He remembers countless times of desperately wanting someone to sit by his side in the medbay after getting injured on campaigns. Of course, he'd never told Ahsoka or Obi-Wan that he wanted their company, so he rarely got it. Usually, one would stay close by, often sitting at his bedside whilst he slept, but it's irresponsible for a CO to sacrifice their duties just to sit beside an injured comrade.

Now, Anakin has all the time in the world, and Ahsoka needs him here.

"I can't... do this..." Ahsoka rasps, making Anakin frown. "The... surgery... Please... don't make me..."

Sometime during the start of her Apprenticeship, Ahsoka was involved in an explosion- Anakin can't even remember which planet they were on or which battle they were fighting. She managed to walk out of it, but not without a couple broken ribs.

On the evac- where Anakin thought she was nothing more than a bit dazed- Ahsoka sagged straight into his arms and couldn't get a word out because breathing was so hard. Thank the Force, Kix was onboard their transport, and saved her life by repairing her punctured lung mid-flight.

Ahsoka was awake for that unpleasant procedure, so it's obvious why she's worried now.

"Time to go, Padawan." Master Che says, hovering next to them. "Your Master needs to scrub up, and we need to move you onto your front."

They're going to prioritise her back over her leg.

Anakin glances down, sees the tourniquet still tightly wound around Ahsoka's thigh. Not good. He gets a bad feeling she'll end up like him- an amputee.

Before Anakin can say something to reassure his apprehensive Padawan, Ahsoka pulls her hand out of his grip and throws a punch towards Master Che along with a predatory snarl.

"I'm not going!"

She's reached her limit.

The Healer catches the girl's fist before it gets close to her jaw, her eyes narrowed.

Anakin looks between them- Master Che's calm expression a stark contrast to Ahsoka's panicked one.

Ahsoka's silent, which is strange. She's thrown a hit or two towards the medics on the Resolute, as all wounded soldiers tend to do, but the clones usually laugh it off and say, use a bat next time so you'll end my misery faster.

"I don't want to restrain you, Ahsoka, but I will if you fight me." Master Che breaks the silence, her fingers wrapped tightly around Ahsoka's wrist as the Togruta starts to struggle.

Ahsoka's eyes widen at the mention of restraints, and it scares Anakin too because Master Che all too often used the same threat with him when he was a Padawan. Most of the time, she followed through.

"That won't be necessary, Master." He says, taking Ahsoka's arm from the Healer and pinning it effectively to the mattress- not hurting her but silently telling her that struggling won't get her anywhere.

"You better keep her calm in there, Skywalker." Master Che warns, her voice low. "I'm going to be doing an intricate procedure on her spine, and we cannot afford for my hand to slip because she's fighting me off. Do you understand?"

There's an unsaid warning in there: do you understand one slip could paralyse her?

"I'm sorry, Master." Ahsoka murmurs beneath him after Master Che leaves.

"Don't be," he reassures, "you're holding yourself remarkably. Now, can I trust you to not fight any of the Healers whilst I get ready?"

He looks down at his dirt-ridden uniform, knows he'll put Ahsoka's life at risk if he brings bacteria into her surgery.

She seems to hesitate before nodding- the barest tilt of her head making the gesture. Anakin smiles, pats her arm reassuringly, "I'll be right back, Snips."

Her moist eyes twinkle at the nickname, "See you soon, Skyguy."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 48 13
Shot down on Ryloth by rebels, Vader and Sidious quickly discover a far more serious threat than the other insurgents: a Fallen Obi-Wan, determined t...
21.8K 916 16
The story is changing. The whole beginning and end of the story you were once told as a child has been changed. But for the better? Let's see. Sequel...
17.4K 482 59
Book 2 of the Fear, Anger, Hate, Suffering series.
38.4K 737 163
A collection of all of our one-shots, centering on a wide variety of characters. See the chapters for the individual plots. :D