Something About The Sunshine

By PoeticPhantom101

Leah Rhodes thought Jordan Hayes was suppose to be her perfect man, attractive, smart, funny, most of all... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven

Chapter Eight

615 35 2
By PoeticPhantom101

Grayson P.O.V

I didn't sleep for shit last night.

How could I when Leah had made it blatantly obvious that she was ignoring me?

I could understand if she had fallen asleep but a part of me knew that answering the call, hanging up, and then not answering anymore of my calls had been on purpose.

But I just couldn't fathom why she'd be pissed at me.

What had I done wrong to my little goddess?

I proceeded to drive to my parents house for the usual family dinner we have every other week as I tried to figure out how I had fucked up. After I parked my car in my parents drive way I checked my phone to see a few notifications, but none from who mattered.

None from her.

Leah Rhodes.

How did she get into my head so easily? Was it the captivating dark skin and eyes? The perfect black hair that I had begun to noticed always smelt kind of like coconut? Was it her dazzling bright smile and pouty lips that had been the object of my sexual thoughts?

Fuck, she had a hold on me.

I wished I could get her out of my head. I wish I could move on just like I had from so many other girls. And it wasn't without trying either.

The other night while working I had grown aggravated with having tons of sexy women all around me and only having my mind on one who wasn't even in the vicinity. I had taken drinks and shots to dull my thoughts that night and if I was being honest I couldn't remember anything that happened afterwards.

You know what I did remember after that night though, how beautiful Leah had looked while reading.

God, I sounded like such a fucking girl.

Suddenly I was knocked from my thoughts when I heard a knock on the passenger side window.

I looked over and couldn't help but smile at the sight of my youngest sibling.

My favorite as well... But I couldn't let anyone know that.

"Well hello there Evie", I chuckled using the nickname I had been using for her since I had first laid eyes on her blonde hair and big blue eyes.

"Hello Graysee", her muffled voice replied with her small fingers sprawled against the window.

I got out of the car and once I had come around to the passenger side Evangeline had already launched herself into my arms.

I caught her and hoisted her to sit her on my hip as I let out a groan.

"You're getting so big Evie, one day you're gonna get too big for me to carry you", I pouted playfully at her as I locked my car and walked us towards the front steps of the house where our mom stood waiting.

"Nope, you're just gonna have to get stronger", Evie smiled with arms wrapped around my neck.

I smiled at my mom and kissed her cheek as I opened the front door for her.

Once inside I had noticed that dad and Kaden were talking in the kitchen doorway, August was writing in his song book on the couch while his twin Aurora sat right next to him on her phone.

"You see how they treat me Evie? No hellos, no hugs, none of them even bothered to look up", I pouted as I placed Evie down with a smirk and a wink.

Aurora was the first to look up and she rolled her eyes as she got up and made her way over.

"Don't be such a drama king Grayson", she smiled as she hugged me.

"Maybe we'd have noticed if you'd had come on time", August chimed in with a smirk.

August and Aurora looked identical and their features came mostly from dad, both had not only his brown hair but also had his green eyes.

"Oof little brother, what an attitude", I pouted though I knew he was only joking.

"Welcome home son", dad smiled as he walked over and gave me a strong pat on the back.

Being a business man, people always thought he would be cold and calculated, but he usually was just as happy as he was smart. Of course there were times where he could be a hard ass and he always took his company very seriously, but around his kids he was funny and welcoming.

"And the prodigal son returns", Kaden chuckled with arms folded. His hair was actually a mix of brown and blonde but he had a mix of dad's green eyes and mom's blue eyes as well.

"The prodigal, the handsomest, one in the same really", I joked before we both laughed and hugged.

"Okay, everyone wash their hands and be at that table in 5 minutes or else you're all doing dishes tonight", mom called out. We were all quick to scurry to the bathrooms and with in the time she had given we were all sat at the table looking at the amazing meal mom had prepared.

She had made a huge pot of shrimp Alfredo, two pans of salmon, a bowl of caesar salad, and two more pans of garlic bread baked to perfection.

Aurora led us in grace since August had done it last time and with that we began to dig in.

Since Evie had decided to sit next to me I fixed her plate for her before fixing my own.  I had given her one small scoop of everything but she insisted on two to prove she was a 'big girl'.
Once I was sure she was settled I started mine, even poring myself a glass of wine from the bottle dad had set on the table.

"I've got good news. My name has been entered in the running for junior prom queen and Liam's has been entered for junior prom king. There's a really good chance we can win", Aurora beamed proudly.

"That's good honey", mom smiled.

"Isn't Liam the jerk August has been telling you to break up with for over 2 months", Kaden asked quizzically.

My eyebrows raised as I looked at Aurora.

"Another asshole boyfriend Rory", I asked.

"Language", mom mumbled.

"Calm down, he isn't as bad as August thinks", Aurora sighed rolling her eyes.

"Oh of course not, hes just your average, run of the mill, football playing ass hat who's only key to a higher education is for him to loose brain cells by continuing to be bulldozed by other ass hat football players".

"Language", mom mumbled again.

"There's nothing wrong with sports August. You should know, you use to play soccer", dad jumped in.

"Yeah but my old team mates and I would've never been caught shacking up with Farrah James in the janitors closet", August grumbled with a smirk.

"That was just a rumor August and it was before him and I started dating", Aurora exclaimed.

"....What's shacking", Evangeline asked with a confused pout.

Kaden, dad, and I were all laughing at her innocent question as the twins glared at each other and mom just looked over all disappointed.

"Anyways who are you to talk about relationships when you haven't had a girlfriend in over a year", Aurora  smirked.

With one look at August's face you could tell she had struck a chord.

"And you two, I don't see you guys bringing girls home to meet mom and dad. When's the last time you even went on a date Kaden? And Grayson, who exactly was that girl who tagged you in that photo on Instagram", Aurora asked sternly.

Man sometimes when she got like this she really reminded me of mo- wait, what did she ask me?

"What photo I was tagged in", I asked confused.

Aurora pulled up the app on her phone and showed me a picture. A picture of me and some blonde chick dancing and looking very intimate, with a very flirty caption as well.

"Holy shit... I fucked up", I mumbled in shock.

Could this have been why Leah was ignoring me?

Did she see this and think I was messing with her feelings?

Fuck, fuck, FUCK!

"What's wrong, it's not like you haven't danced with random women in your club before", Kaden asked.

"There's this girl I've been... interested in. She been ignoring me since last night and I think this picture is why", I sighed in defeat.

Leah seemed like someone who doesn't take shit, this fuck up could cost me a chance with her. And that realization left a huge pain in my chest.

Just imagining Leah with someone else because I messed up made me almost see red.

"Graysee has a crush", Evangeline asked as she looked up at me.

"You could say that Evie, and Graysee is gonna feel like shit if his piccola dea never talks to him again because of this", I replied with a sad smile.

"What's that mean", she asked, her being one of the only siblings who hadn't learned Italian from pops yet.

"He said little goddess in italian", dad explained.

"Little godde- oh my god", mom exclaimed loudly. I looked at her and saw as realization hit her square in the face.

Oh shit, she knew the only person with that nickname. I started to shake my head, begging in my head for her not to say it, but it was too late.

"You have feelings for Leah", mom asked as her facial expression went from shock to happiness.

I could admit I was interested in Leah, something about her was ethereal, but did I have actual feelings for her? Could I actually really like her?

"Who's Leah", Aurora asked with a smirk.

"Leah as in Leah Rhodes. I hired her and her friends out of Seattle 6 or 8 months ago. Leah is my editor and one of my columnists but I also pay her extra to model once or twice a week. A few weeks ago she met Grayson at one of her shoots and I knew they seemed to get along and he had invited them to his club, but Grayson I never thought-", mom began.

"That'd I'd have actual feelings for her? Yeah I'm still not even sure if I believe it for myself. But shes so different from other girls. She sweet, she's shy yet sarcastic and funny. She's so smart too. And her looks... I mean God damn. Shes so beautiful inside and out and yet she's got this sadness to her. This is the first woman in a long time that... I actually want to get to know", I explained gushing about my little goddess.

"What does she look like", Kaden asked.

"Why does it matter what she looks like", I asked raising an eyebrow to him.

"Oh don't get defensive Grayson, it's not like you've ever dated an unattractive woman before", August sighed.

"Maybe ugly on the inside but never on the outside", Aurora added in.

"Here, Beck sent me the final edits of the photo shoot when you two met", mom said as she quickly pulled her phone out and began searching through whatever files she kept the pictures in.

She showed dad the picture first and his eyebrows raised as he smiled before looking up at me.

"She's definitely different from any other girl you've dated, but I agree she is very gorgeous", he said before passing the phone off to Aurora.

"Yeah she is! Honestly kind of proud of you big bro, never took you as a down for the swirl type of guy", Aurora commented before passing it too August.

"She's african american", he asked looking back up at me. I simply nodded.

"Man Grayson, have fun trying to find someone like her if you've truly messed this up", he sighed shaking his head before handing it to Kaden.

"She's beautiful, you guys look like an actual couple in this picture", Kaden smiled as he handed the phone to me.

About damn time, since Leah is ignoring me this may be the only way I see her stunning face for awhile.

Wait, he said you guys?

I looked down at the phone and was surprised to see it was Leah and I when we had laid down opposite sides but we're facing each other during the photo shoot.

The picture was perfect, and I wasn't even talking about myself. Her hair laid over her shoulders beautifully and her skin looked so smooth and soft. The dress complimented ever inch of her figure just as it had in person. The faint smile on her lips was playful but sincere, and her eyes, her warm dark brown eyes stared at me in the photo like she was truly entranced.

Had she been? Was there a chance that when we first met she was enthralled with me just as much as I was with her?

"I wanna see, I wanna see", Evangeline pouted next to me as she stretched her arms out and opened and closed her hands in a 'gimme, gimme' motion. I chuckled and showed her the picture of Leah and I.

Her blue eyes went wide in awe before she looked up at me once again, "Is she a goddess Graysee?"

"Yeah Evie, she's a goddess."

————

The next day I was determined to talk to Leah. I had everything planned perfectly. Early in the morning I left tons of voicemails and texts apologizing, then I had ordered sunflowers to be sent to her work for her because I knew she loved yellow. I also paid for a steak hibachi and sushi lunch to be sent to her work because it was what she ordered when we all went to a hibachi place for dinner last week.

Now I was standing at her front door hoping to any god who would listen to me that she'd accept my apology.

I knocked on the door and it swung open to reveal a smiling Talia. Well she was smiling until she saw me at least.

Damn, I must've been in deep shit.

"What do you want Grayson", she asked coldly.

"I know I fucked up I just want to talk to Leah, please Talia", I asked.

She seemed to think on it for a second or two before sighing and opening the door wider to let me in. I smiled as I walked in and saw Beck on the couch.

When he saw me he raised his eyebrow in question.

"I just came to apologize", I explained.

"Look Grayson I have nothing against you, to be honest I'm actually rooting for you. You bring out the more confident and fun side of Leah. Just know that she's fragile and small cracks to you are gaping canyons to her. If you really like her you're going to have to understand that she needs time to heal. Whether you help her heal or not is completely up to you though", he explained.

"Someone put her through the ringer huh", I asked.

"Yeah, and when I see him again that mother fucker is getting his ass beat on sight, so don't make the same mistakes he did".

I could see the look in his eyes, his protectiveness over her was obvious. And I could tell it was out of a brotherly type of love. He looked over Leah like I look over Aurora and Evie. Because Lord knows if a man broke their hearts he wouldn't live to see the next day.

Suddenly Kyra came down the hall and when she saw me she glared harshly before she then smirked and turned towards the hallway.

"We're all ready Lee, come on out", she called.

And then there she was walking towards us. Once the living room gave light to her I felt my heart stop.

She was too adorable for words to even explain.

She was wearing a white a line t-shirt under a red and blue plaid tank dress that hugged her curves amazingly. On her feet were black wedges and her hair was pulled up into a high ponytail with her bangs framing her face.

A face that looked perfect as usual  with her usual burgundy red matte lipstick on her pouty lips.

She's got the cutest cheeks I've ever seen...

When her eyes met mine I could tell she was shocked. But despite the scowl I received from her, her cheeks turned that barely there shade of dark pink that they do sometimes. She may not think anyone can see when she blushes, but I definitely can.

"What are you doing here Grayson", she asked walking right by me with her head held high.

Ouch, that hurt.

"I came to keep apologizing and see if you enjoyed the sunflowers and steak hibachi with a dragon roll today", I explained with a small smile. She froze and slowly turned to me.

"Those were from you? There was no name or note", she said with wide brown eyes.

"I know, I figured you'd know who they were from", I said.

But then it dawned on me. I felt my stomach drop and suddenly it felt difficult to breathe.

She saw it too, I could tell by the way she was looking at me.

Why would she ask if it was me... If I'm the only person who has interest in her. That was unless... I wasn't the only one.

She met someone else.

"Leah, why are dressed up?"

"I've got... a date", she said slowly.

"Who?"

"She doesn't owe you an explanation Grayson", Kyra added.

"I know", I said sharply as I turned to look at her as regret began seeping in to me. I had fucked up, and it was really gonna cost me Leah...

"Who please", I asked again to Leah.

"A guy named Mason I met at Dave and Busters the other night", she explained.

"Before or after you saw that picture with me and that random girl", I asked.

"... After."

"So you couldn't give me a chance after I had been telling you over and over again that I wanted to take you out, but you can give a chance to some guy from Dave and Busters who probably didn't even have enough tickets to get you a piece of candy", I asked sarcastically with frustration.

"Grayson that's not fai-", she began with a sigh.

"I know", I groaned as I closed my eyes to fully process what was happening.

"I know that's not fair. I know I have no reason to be upset. I fucked up and that's my fault. You deserve the truth and I want to give you that... I'm going to give you that."

"The truth is that you drive me fucking insane. I can't get you out of my head Leah. I know it's not love and I know we haven't known each other long enough to even call it actual feelings, but I also know what I'm feeling is more than just a friendship too. I was so frustrated with always having you on my mind that I got drunk and went down to the dance floor and danced with that random girl. But that is all that happened and no that isn't an excuse. I just wanted you out of my mind so bad, no woman has ever had this effect on me and honestly it scares the shit out of me. I'm selfish Leah, I want you... but I'm not sure if either of us is ready for the other".

Leah looked lost in thought so I grabbed her hand and held it to my chest.

"I'm so sorry Leah", I said softly as my blue eyes bore into her brown ones.

She looked ready to talk until the doorbell rang.

It was probably her date.

"I'm still gonna go on this date. We should finish this conversation later", she said casting her eyes down.
I sighed in defeat but let go of her hand and backed away.

"Have fun on your date", I said trying my best to smile.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62.5M 2.6K 6
Brielle Newman A 21-year-old girl who was struggling to make life comfortable for herself and her niece, Delilah. Her sister left the baby the minute...
1K 105 24
"You guys I had the most epic night," I say as I take my seat, sipping from my bottle of coke and then I glance round the table and I see him, I almo...
209K 11.4K 85
It's been five years since Zoey and Caleb brought their first child into the world. Since then life has been a real roller coaster for the two of the...