𝑪𝑨𝑳𝑳 𝑶𝑭 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑺𝑬𝑨 ¹...

By hiraethsr

❝ a mermaid belongs to the sea. she cannot stay on land without the guarantee of her death. ❞ ❝ yes, but her... More

.call of the sea
.epigraph
.prologue
.act one
i. verity of the sea
ii. a scroll of a quest
iii. a decision to make
iv. journey to rivendell
v. imladris
vi. son of arathorn
vii. a peculiar bunch
viii. a new friend
ix. secrets of the elves
x. frodo awakens
xi. arguing knuckleheads
xii. damsel in distress
xiii. fellowship of the ring
xiv. lasting goodbyes
xv. and so it begins
.act two
xvi. secrets revealed
xvii. tales of the sea
xviii. jealousy is a fickle thing
xix. bane of my existence
xx. mines of moria
xxi. they are coming
xxii. the first battle
xxiii. fall of one
xxiv. bonding experiences
xxv. lothlórien
xxvi. lady of light
xxvii. river of sorrow
xxviii. departure from the elves
xxix. dangerous rendezvous
xxx. grief, we meet again
.act three
xxxi. blue
xxxii. a new hope
xxxiii. responsibility of the crown
xxxiv. that fateful day
xxxv. determind souls
xxxvi. enemy's words
xxxvii. a trace of hope
xxxviii. garden of butterflies
xxxix. riders of rohan
xl. water spirits
xli. mysteries of the earth
xlii. the dead returns
xliii. ghost counsel
xliv. mother knows best
xlv. what happens now?
.act four
xlvi. start of it all
xlvii. guard buffoons
xlviii. the first clue
xlix. death's door
l. prince of edoras
li. shadow of blood
liii. royal blood
liv. roman
lv. unveiled
lvi. blood and water
lvii. peace in the chaos
lviii. calm before the storm
lix. slaughter of innocence
lx. final day
lxi. the odds
lxii. pin-drop
lxiii. one final spark
lxiv. rain in the fires
lxv. to the death
lxvi. battle of helm's deep
lxvii. victory...or not?
.act five
lxviii. end of the beginning
lxix. from death to life
lxx. the awakening
lxxi. recovery from hell
lxxii. half of the peculiar
lxxiii. glorious defeat
lxxiv. victorious rejoice
lxxv. happiness at last
lxxvi. hail !
lxxvii. the darkness seeps in
lxxviii. temporary farewells
lxxix. mated souls
lxxx. bonds with a princess
lxxxi. the other side
lxxxii. rightful heir to the throne
.act six
lxxxiii. little girls
lxxxiv. what the future holds
lxxxv. lost time
lxxxvi. a cry for help
lxxxvii. start of the end
lxxxviii. death is a friend
lxxxix. just before the end
xc. endless thoughts
xci. father dearest
xcii. the night before
xciii. on the eve
xciv. outside looking in
xcv. boromir's return
xcvi. end of an era
.epilogue
.author's note

lii. desperate lies

523 25 1
By hiraethsr

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑭𝑰𝑭𝑻𝒀 𝑻𝑾𝑶
❝ 𝒅𝒆𝒔𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒂𝒕𝒆 𝒍𝒊𝒆𝒔 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

ÈMILIYA HAD UNDOUBTEDLY AND UNQUESTIONINGLY IMPLANTED herself on the palm of Vera's hands and in her sweet, loving heart. The statement would be provided with evidence of Vera's current situation wherein she lies beside Èmiliya, sitting in a position with the little girl between her arms. Vera's dainty hands caress Èmiliya's blonde hair, soothingly brushing her hand up and down to assuage her to sleep. A ruffled book sits by the side of the wide bed, laying open with frayed parchment and inked words. Èmiliya is on the verge of falling to a deep sleep, struggling to remain awake with the warmth and comfort of Vera's voice and arms. They had gotten through two stories overall before Èmiliya decided she wanted to hear more about Vera than the stories in books.

Vera was halfway through explaining Legolas, an adoring smile on her face at the memory of her friend when she noticed Èmiliya's eyes drooping heavily under her exhaustion. Adjusting herself so Èmiliya could lie on her back comfortably, Vera shuffles out of the way and lets the little girl lying on her back completely. Pulling the silk sheets over her refreshed and clean body, Vera plumps the pillows behind her back before settling the girl down and brushing her hair one last time. Vera finds herself rather content with the actions she is doing as she has never prepared her own bed when she was a child, even till her adulthood; someone would have to do it for her as per castle protocol. "I suppose it's time for you to sleep," Vera playfully says, teasingly narrowing her hazel eyes to jest at the little girl. "You truly have tired yourself, Èmiliya, your lionheart will need to rest someday."

Èmiliya barely formulates a response as she leans on her side, her eyes finally closing with exhaustion, but the stubborn angel manages to let out one last statement before falling to the deep abyss and peaceful desire of rest and slumber. "You are a good Queen, your Majesty. I wish my Mama would meet you."

Vera stops her actions abruptly, glancing at the sleeping girl by the front of the bed, and sighing sorrowfully. A frown replaces her face, heavily landing on her perfect smile, and creating a rather worrisome facial expression on Vera's visage. She had never thought about Èmiliya's parents and the possibility of never being able to see them again. A young and beautiful girl like Èmiliya shouldn't have to experience such grief as losing someone who is most valuable to the youthful hearts of children. Vera could very well understand the concept of grief, having lost her grandmother and father before she could even comprehend anything going around her. To have lost someone without any memories made in the long years of life but knowing that they are important...it breaks your heart and you don't know why. Vera could never wish that on Èmiliya.

Attempting to force a gentle smile on her face, she kisses the little girl goodnight before blowing the candle by her bedside and leaving her room, closing the door gently behind her. She halts at the opening, letting some light in to observe the tiny girl in her bed. Such a delicate and angelic being, so corrupted by the world. Vera sighs, closing the door fully, and turning around to arrive at her room and succumb to sleep herself. Silently slinking through the shadows of the moonlight and attempting to create as less noise as possible when entering her room, Vera passes Freda and Èothain's chambers, before sliding past Èowyn's chambers, and entering her own. Vera sighs once more, sliding from her door to her room in one drastic movement, and plopping on her bed with a loud groan. Turning on her backside, she stares at the ceiling with a long sigh and heavy expression.

Thoughts fill her head painfully, ramming her head with memories and recaps of the events that occurred today. As a Queen, this was her first time meeting another ruling monarch on land. It had gone better than expected, apart from the cowardly decision he had made concerning the fight of his people and the expectancy of knowing more about her race. Vera could admit that she was rather surprised by how those on land could so easily accept her true nature. No doubt, the knowledge of their existence would be made known throughout the entire Middle Earth, and maybe even beyond. The pressures of keeping her people safe and protected from the many power-hungry people of Middle Earth would be a task she'd have to embark on as High Queen. She was hoping to create alliances between her and those of Middle Earth to create bargains and protection negotiations. Rohan could be one of the first.

Vera made a mental reminder to discuss certain matters with the King of Rohan when everything was over, knowing that she needed to protect her people as soon as possible. By now, numerous realms and races would already be made aware of the mythical creatures under the sea and could be taking advantage of the situation before Vera has the chance to protect herself and her realm. She had full faith in Caspian of ensuring the Kingdom and their home to be intact and protected. Once clearing the thought in her head, Vera begins to schedule meetings between her and the King of Rohan, keeping her own Quest in mind and sparing some time to discuss and clarify certain matters with her mother and extended family by the seashore.

A groan nearly leaves Vera's mouth once her mind settles at the peculiar idea of having more family around her than she expected. Vera, admittedly, does not know as much as she should about her family; she didn't know about her mother's past, nor did she know about what happened before her and her brother was conceived. She didn't bother entertaining the idea of Evian being partly related to her, feeling some sort of disgust wash over her at the prospect of having the same blood as that monster. She is distinctly aware of the many cousins she had on her mother's side as well as numerous aunts and uncles who didn't have any children. Her father was an only child, only having extended family such as cousins and the lot.

Meanwhile, Corin's entire background was a mystery to her. Vera could barely remember how she befriended Corin but was aware of her mother finding him on the steps of the palace as a babe, a few years before Vera was even born, and was raised to become a talented and loyal subject, even becoming part of their family. If Vera and Corin were really related then their entire affair was a mistake but she was rather thankful that she didn't go far at all with the blonde man. They couldn't link his blood back to any family or heritage, showing no signs of resemblance to other merfolk families as they all shared most of the same features. After a while, Marella had dropped the case completely and let Corin train for the position of queensguard.

Vera had a strong feeling that she needed to talk to a few people. Namely, her mother and Gandalf...even Caspian if she had to. Vera, as determined and stubborn as ever, was completely tenacious in finding answers, no matter the source and hopefully true.

Sitting from her position abruptly, a resolute expression fills her visage and consumes her chest. Her mind suddenly flickers to what Thèoden said before he left the room, a little dramatically, in Vera's opinion. 'There is a prisoner requesting your presence at a cottage by the outskirts of Edoras.' Her feä suddenly lurches in its calm state, wrestling against an invisible force in her body. Something familiar, something dark, something deep, something unknown. A clash of a strange combination of feelings consume her feä and brings a horrible flash inside her stomach at the mere mention of said prisoner. Judging by her feä's reaction to the prisoner, Vera decides that this shadowed person could of importance to her cause and her desire of answers, as well as the visions in her head, ranging from the monstrous sight of a man hovering over a mangled body to a peaceful view of her mother entrapped in another's arms.

Vera wraps her cloak closer to her body. She scans her surroundings quietly, the black hood of her cloak over her brunette curls, which is braided messily down her side, before looking sideways once more to ensure she is alone in the dark Main Hall of Edoras. Vera grasps a lantern on her right hand, bringing it closer to her face to aid her in her short journey from Meduseld to the cottage Thèoden once spoke about. The dim glow of the little spark of fire illuminates Vera's face and creates a radiant gleam on Vera's beautiful face. A frown settles on her face permanently as she attempts to stealthily escape the Halls of Meduseld without alerting her friends or the people residing in it. Finally, after momentarily ensuring her safety and unawareness, Vera starts to make for the door.

After coming to a decision with much thinking, Vera had chosen to meet this prisoner who seemed to seek her presence for a reason unknown to her. The curiosity did not help her need to stay away and the warnings in her heart but the desire for answers was just as strong as her intrigue. So, she arose from her comfortable, goose feather bed sheets, and ambled her way towards the wardrobe by the bathing room, rummaging through the wide space to find herself something warm to wear. Finally ending her search after acquiring a black dress from the wooden cabinet, she had quickly clad herself in it and armed herself with a dagger, before finding a lantern and leaving her chambers in the dead of night.

Just as Vera's heeled boots touched the outside stone of Meduseld's staircases leading to the Main Hall, she is being lurched back by the waist, eliciting a low squeal of surprise from her. Vera could instantly recognize the arms that have grabbed her and relaxed immediately under his warmth. Glaring viciously as a hand covers her mouth and Aragorn appears from the shadows, Gimli following behind him with an axe at hand and a frown on his visage, no doubt Legolas was behind her and currently had her entrapped. Aragorn smirks at her from the dim light of the moon, his one eyebrow raised playfully as he tsks. "Sweet Vera. Did you really think we would let you go off into the night alone and unguarded?" Aragorn innocently queries.

Vera rolls her eyes, roughly bringing Legolas' hand from her mouth — though she admittedly lingered her hand on his touch — and glares at the three men she so dearly called friends with one man being something more. She steps away from their grip, scurrying away before they could stop her, and leaving the Main Hall with lantern in hand. She could hear their footsteps following after her in rushed and cautious strides, leaving her with enough of an answer to know that they mean to follow her. She didn't mind as much, feeling the need of their presence there to keep her safe from whichever prisoner lies at the edge of Edoras. There was a reason he wasn't kept in the dungeons. Without halting her pursuit, Vera speaks, "I do not appreciate the condescending tone in your voice, Aragorn. However, you may all come, if you must. But mind you, try to stop me and you may regret it."

She didn't mean to sound so bold and cold towards her friends, who only seek to protect her from the possible danger, but the creeping anticipation that taunts her like a child would bully another overrides her manners, as much as she didn't want to admit it. Thankfully, her friends didn't seek to sew discord with her and remained at her side silently, strolling down the hill with her and keeping to her speedy pace. Briskly walking past the several houses in quiet and silent footsteps, keeping to the shadows of the dead of night, and avoiding any guards from questioning their intentions. Vera slinks through the shadows, keeping her keen eyes open and clear. She spotted a cottage, just outside the gates, and secluded from everywhere else. It wouldn't have been found if not for Vera's senses.

Legolas appears beside her, keeping his bow in hand, and his eyes just as keen as hers. He cautiously approached her, taking a moment to admire her beauty in the face of the moonlight and is briefly reminded of a time wherein she had looked just as radiant; the night they agreed on a courtship. "Meleth, what is it you seek in the cottage?" he asks, carefully looking back and fro to Vera and the cottage. He is aware that Vera does not understand his words and takes joy in it, using the advantage to his disposal as she glares at him suspiciously.

Sighing, Vera turns her head to hide the blush on her cheeks at the devil-may-care smirk that implants itself on Legolas' handsome face, and chooses her next words carefully; she didn't want to alarm her friends but she didn't want to lie to them, either. After much thought, Vera finally ends up with the decision of leaving some truths out and hopefully explaining the entire truth once everything was sorted. Vera had a naive thought that the truth was just as she always thought it; Neptune was her only family, Marella is not as dark as she seems, and her past will come back to haunt her. Sadly, a deeper and more knowing part of her could practically feel the lie of that statement, her feä reacting to it with much anger that left Vera unknown and unaware.

"There are answers that lie within a prisoner encaged in that cottage that I wish to find," Vera answers vaguely, her eyes straying from her friends to the cottage. The light of her spirit dwindled and inflamed at the sight of the home and the feel of another being inside of it simultaneously. Her feä reacted differently once she was at a nearer proximity with it. She was only a few yards away from the dark and shadowed home of a criminal and her soul felt stranger and divergent from her last reaction towards it. While it aroused itself in the presence of another strong feä, her own spirit felt much more comfortable with the knowledge that another spirit lies in that house; a spirit like hers, a spirit that is of her kin. Meanwhile, it recoiled harshly from the hatred and anger protruding like an inferno from the stranger.

Whoever this person was, it was not someone who bore well intentions.

Without a second thought, Vera moves from her spot and ignores her friends' protests, slinking away from the eye's view, and stealthily making her way towards the cottage. She could hear her friends following after her with panicked footsteps, Gimli complaining all the while about her unannounced rushing off, while simultaneously hiding away from the guards. Although they were aware of Vera's intentions to visit the prisoner, having been told by their King, they weren't rather particular about Vera's friends proceeding with her. "Could you not wait till morning?" Gimli hisses in annoyance, landing beside Vera and muttering other profanities under his breath. Vera smiles amusedly.

"I can't wait. We will be leaving from Edoras in two days. I only have less than one to gather answers before we are forced to evacuate with them," Vera responds quietly. "Besides. I have a dinner to attend to tomorrow with a noble family of Rohan and I have certain matters to discuss with our King." With no other words for her friends, Vera finally leaves the gates of Edoras and covertly sneak away from the guards, using the shadowed night and lack of moon to her advantage. She trusted that her friends would dutifully follow her and they certainly did, unhesitatingly meandering along with her, before they lastly progress towards the shadowed cottage, hiding away from sight.

Vera halts in front of the yard, staring at the dark home with little courage in her heart. Out of everything she had ever faced in their journey, this proved to be the most difficult for reasons that remain unknown to her. Was she scared because whoever lies beyond those doors could have the power to change her entire world? Was she scared because whoever is imprisoned inside those walls is more dangerous to her than any other being? Just by the way her feä reacted brought her more worry, eliciting in her anxiety to roll off her in waves. No doubt her friends could feel her nerves but they stand to remain silent and loyal nonetheless, carefully watching the girl with cautious eyes. A shadow lingers on the cottage, shielding the moon from raying down, and causing a certain obscurity to cover it.

'If you weren't scared, my beautiful girl, then you don't have hope'.

With hope, comes courage.

Sighing one last time, she ignored the warnings in her heart and the alarm of her radiant feä, shuffling closer to the door, and gathering the most of her courage in her strong, full heart. Turning ahead to look at her friends, she sternly met their eyes. "You three will stay here. This is my battle, and I will face this alone. You may only enter under my request. Please. I need to do this alone."

Before the three stubborn men could argue any further, she gave them an ever so angelic smile, giving each of them a hug of comfort, before planting a chaste kiss on Legolas' cheek. With no other words, she left, leaving her friends as her only protectors but they could not protect her from what lay inside.

Nobody can.

Vera slowly creeps into the deserted, wooden house. The floorboards creak under the pressure and weight of her footsteps, creating an eerie effect on the house and successfully increasing Vera's caution. The room was too dark, too black; Vera could barely see anything, even with the clarity of her enhanced eyes. It didn't help with the alarm starting to arise in her chest. Vera's spirit shielded itself, closing off from the darkness emitting from one corner of the room, giving Vera enough knowledge to know that the prisoner is at the corner of the room, furthest from the room. The cottage is more like a hut with only one, cramped room leading right from the door. A table was on the other side of the window, as well as a pot at the corner to hold whatever fluid needed to be removed.

Vera sighed quietly, moving from her spot to find more of an angle to identify the person laying on the corner like nothing but a ragged doll. The floorboards creak once more, eliciting a flinch from Vera at the sudden movement in the dark corner she was attempting to approach. She stops, breath stuck in her throat as she waits for the prisoner's next actions. From the tiny things she can barely see in the shadows, she could duly recognize the short movements of the stranger erecting from his spot, roughly trying to find who was in the shadows. Vera didn't expect him to speak so confidently afterward. "I recognize that spirit."

His voice was husky, rougher around the edges than Vera expected, or noticed that any of her other kin beheld. She guessed that it had more to do with his years in prison than the regular merman of the ocean. What surprised Vera more was the man's words. It was rather bold for a complete and utter stranger to tell a woman he surely knew was entitled. If her clothes or crown had anything to prove it would only ensure they knowledge of her title and her status. He said that he recognized her spirit, leaving Vera with a puzzled mind than she had when she entered the room. Vera waits, wondering if this man will say more. Her answer is provided with one more statement from the man, followed by a cough, "I should. I am not aware of what you know regarding me...but I must confess, I haven't felt royal blood in such a long time. My blood."

Vera's intake of breath was enough to give the man the answers he needed. She was unsure. Vera's mind only frenzied into a confused and completely scattered state, causing more unnecessary turmoil and trouble for the young Queen. She didn't know who this man was but her guard was up and far too high to be crumpled by mere words. Trust is not a luxury she could afford, especially when talking to a prisoner from her kingdom but entitled in Rohan. 'I caught another prisoner...an accomplice'. Then suddenly, everything started to piece together in her mind; or as much as it could with the lack of information given to her by her enigmatic mother. Vera straightens her back, the flare of new information given to her, and pushing her determination to accomplish her goal; receive answers.

"Who are you?" she asks, her voice strong and queenly.

The man doesn't answer her question, only shuffling further into the walls and attempting to hide his face from the queen's view. Vera could hear his actions and consequently moved further away from him. He chuckles, a dark and taunting laugh escaping from his dry throat, at the young girl's actions but does not appear to be of any harm, giving Vera enough confidence in the situation. Vera's movements had only resulted in the moonlight streaming from the open window pouring onto Vera's visage, creating a lustrous glow on her delicate face. "You truly do look like your mother...or was it your father you took after?" he wonders aloud, his tone dripping with sarcasm and a voice that suggests he knows the answer.

Vera doesn't let anything slip past her barriers, unyielding to the constant prods pushed at her by the stranger, who is believed to be an accomplice and prisoner of Atlantis. "You know nothing of my parents. You have not answered my question. Who the hell are you?" Vera demands, her voice unwavering to his failing taunts.

The man chuckles once more, though his laugh is more humorous and condescending towards the last statement, and leans further into the wall to support his shaking body. Vera catches a glimpse of his frayed clothing in the moonlight and inches closer. "Oh, I knew your parents. Your mother, I knew particularly well," the man responds, a smirk undoubtedly etched on his lips in response to his own statement.

Vera narrows her eyes suspiciously, her anger flaring more and more as time passed with the man's tenacious efforts of stalling from the first question she had asked. Vera folds her arms over her body neatly, glaring hard at the shadowed movement coming from the corner he refused to move from and wished only to slink further into, it seems. Vera did not have time. And her patience is running thing like a fuse threatening to blow. She was a ticking bomb. "This is what I know about you: you are a prisoner, not only to Rohan but to Atlantis too. You are imprisoned for a reason that I am not yet sure of nor am I aware of which reason is more important and dangerous to me and my crown but you are a criminal nonetheless. You say things that may or may not be true but let me be frank, as you are so...everything you say depends on who you are and how you choose to express your news to me. You requested my presence and I have complied, so you will cooperate. Who are you?"

A silence passed over them as the man contemplates her words and weighs his options. Vera waits for him patiently, using what little she knew about him to navigate through her thinking process, and creating situations which should help her case before deciding on what to believe and on what not to. If this man decided to lie to his sovereign Queen, he could be beheaded or sent to the deep trench for the treason he committed, if Vera were to find out. What he didn't know was that Vera's observation skills were superior to any other. She was, after all, her mother's daughter and if his words were true, he would turn to the other option: tell the truth. However, Vera didn't know just how much fault lies in the latter options. "I have narrowed it down to two options, considering you are taking a rather long time in choosing what option — though I cannot blame you, prison must've pinched your brain smaller and removed any other brain cells in your mind. You can either tell me the truth...or die."

The man smirks, impressed. "I must say, my Queen, you are impatient, just like your mother, which is true. And since those words are as true as your name, I also know that you are observant...like Marella. So, considering those traits, I have decided on the former option. I'll make it better for you; I won't skip on anything and get straight to the point!" the man cheerily — all feigned — exclaims, brightly leaning on his back, his tone dripping with sarcasm. "But...whether you choose to believe it or not has nothing to do with me. Deal?" A bony, pale hand creeps from the shadow. Vera grimaces, eyeing his horrid fingernails and restraining her gag, but holds her hand up to shake with his daintily. Vera doesn't waste another time in retracting her hand, placing it back to her side and distinctly wiping the dirt on her dress.

"Deal," Vera agrees, nodding her head resolutely. "May I ask...what do you expect from this outcome? With the exchange of answers, what would you want? Your life to be saved? Freedom from your imprisonment? I'd have to clarify your background and adjust to the laws before doing so but with the truth, you may be saved."

The man tuts, holding a finger up to shush the Queen from making any more remarks. "No questions asked. I'll settle the terms later. But for now," he says, leaning closer to preview his terrifying visage, "I'm going to rip your world apart."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

178K 8.7K 46
A shadow lies on Thranduil and his forest, and only a power stronger than the darkness of old can save them. Grief and loss have turned him into a ki...
494K 24.2K 81
"𝑂𝑛𝑒 𝑅𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑡𝑜 𝑟𝑢𝑙𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑚 𝑎𝑙𝑙. 𝑩𝒖𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒔 𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒆." Daeriel knew that fate could be cruel. After all, she was o...
3.2K 92 23
Here I am back again with my Elfling series here is book l all over again If you haven't read The first or second, third or fourth book then I would...
mithril By elle

Fanfiction

27.2K 839 37
Warrior. Shadow. Ruthless. The freest of hearts and sharpest of tongues. A survivor in her own right. A human girl, born of the ancient blood of Núm...