Silver and Evergreen

By Bunzy161

|Book 1 of the Silver and Evergreen Series| A girl born into slavery never knew what life was like outside of... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Thank You and Dedication

Chapter 13

20 4 8
By Bunzy161

"Okay." I blurt out without even thinking. "Oh wait I don't have a gown to wear to it." Why did I agree? I am not even prepared to attend something like that.

Sebastian raises a brow when he turns his upper body to me. "I can buy you one or have a gown specially made if you like. We do have seamstresses here."

My mouth opens, he is really willing to do that? Not knowing what to say I shut my mouth and shift in my seat. He is too kind to invite someone like me to a special event like that. "Are commoners even allowed to the King's ball?"

"There have been some occasions that commoners were invited to balls, like friends of the king or family of the captains and lieutenants. But since my father passed, my uncle has not allowed anyone inside the castle except for trusted Lords and other high ranking nobles."

If that's so, why am I an exception then? "So who will I come as since I am only a servant?" I ask with a growing frown.

He waves a hand, blowing a huff of air. "You are coming as my friend, no one will notice you if you sneak in. Nobles are usually caught up in their own world anyway. If that's not enough; it's my birthday. I can invite whoever I please."

Won't they see us once we start dancing together? "Okay..." I chew on my lip watching him closely. I hope I don't get into trouble for going. I definitely don't want to cause any problems for Sebastian but he is King. What, or who I should say, would challenge him on who he invites? It is his birthday after all. I am just worried that the nobles will notice me and judge me... A hand slides on top of mine and squeezes it gently causing me to look up into deep blue eyes.

He gives me a small smile before letting my hand go. "Stop thinking about it and do not worry."

I sigh. "Fine." Then look down and chew on my lip again and Seb chuckles.

"I mean it, don't worry about it."

I roll my eyes up. "Yes, Your Majesty. I won't think about it now."

"Good." He says with a laugh and turns his body away from me and stands. "Now as for the matter of your dress."

I glance up and he is staring down at me with a smile. "Are there gown shops in Adelaide? Am I going by myself?" I ask because I don't want to go alone as for I have never bought a gown on my own.

"Yes," He says with a lazy nod. "There is one up near the King's Square. We can go tomorrow since it is your day off."

I look at him with widening eyes and stand up. "We?" He doesn't mean me and him going gown shopping does he? By the way he is smiling, he answers my question.

"What? You wanted to go with someone else?" He asks, tilting his head to the side with hands on his hips.

"Well no... I just didn't expect you wanting to come that's all." I don't know who else he would have elected to come with me but I am glad that it is Sebastian coming along.

"Of course I would come. We can go bright and early when the shop opens then. I have been itching to get out of the castle too."

My gaze turns to him. Why does he want out so badly? Shouldn't he be able to come and go as he pleases? "Sounds like a good plan."

"Excellent!" He says clapping his hands together with a beaming smile.

He steps around me about to leave but I ask him what type of fish those are and he tells me they are Koi fish. They are very pretty.

Seb stops to watch me take a closer look at the fish. They drift gracefully through the dark water. When I peek up to him, his eyes are downcast.

"What's wrong?" I ask standing up.

His sad gaze drifts to mine. "I hate to ask this but I need you to show me what Drakon and Hearthgrim look like."

My mouth dries as he holds his gaze. The moment I've been dreading is here but this is beneficial to me. If Seb knows what they look like then he can arrest them or warn me.

"You are in a safe place, you can trust me." He says stepping closer to me.

"I'll show you Drakon first." The words are barely a whisper. Seb nods, holding his lips together tightly.

I lower my head and bring up Drakon's features in my mind. Pale skin, square jaw, short narrow nose. His dark eyes and thick eyebrows. The deep wrinkles set in the lines of his face. The thinning light coloured hair at the top of his head and longer grey pieces at the sides.

Once the magic is finished, I close my eyes before I lift my head up to Seb. I don't want to see his expression but I can hear the smallest breath catch in his throat when he takes me in.

"Blond hair, thinning at the top. Mid 60's..." He mutters with a short pause. "What colour are his eyes?"

"Brown."

"You can do Hearthgrim now..."

My eyes squeeze tighter as I change my appearance to another man that I hate. The skin on my face tingles to an almost burning sensation when it shifts.

Absolute silence this time when Seb sees me. I can't help but open one eye to see a spark of anger ignite in Seb's gaze. Not towards me but the man he sees before him. He knows what he did to me. Tears well up at the sight of Seb's anguish. Seb doesn't even know this man but the hatred he has for Hearthgrim is strong.

"Okay, that's enough..." He says quietly.

Holding back my tears, I change back with my head down again. I feel myself come up to the surface and I break down. Becoming the monsters that haunt you... It's not an easy task.

Not a word is spoken. I hear is Seb step closer then wrap his arms around me, enveloping my body into his. Warm, comforting. Seb holds me tight, not moving, just holds still. The world around us continues on though, birds chirp and the wind blows around us.

Now that he knows what those men look like, he can be prepared if he ever saw them in the city. That is why I didn't mind doing it. If it ensures my safety then it is okay.

The next morning, I wait for Sebastian outside on the walkway that overlooks the barracks. He said he would take me dress shopping but he is taking longer than expected.

Where is he? He's late... Sebastian told me to wait here at this time, at this spot. I look around me seeing some guards walk out of the barracks including Captain Hellman. No one has noticed me but I step back before their gazes find me. As I lean back footsteps sound to my right. He appears from the open doorway in his regular clothes wearing a cap and he smiles once his eyes land on mine.

"Good morning." He beams at me with a bright smile. "You are looking lovely as always."

I bow my head to him to hide my blush then squint my eyes in his direction. "Morning, what took you so long?"

He traps the tip of his tongue between his teeth while shaking his head. "Didn't you know? Royals love to keep their subjects waiting on any occasion, especially for their birthdays." He tells me with a wink.

"Is that so?" I ask him tilting my head to the side and he nods humming along. I will keep that in mind then for the party... He seems happier than usual too.

"Yes, but I am sorry for keeping you. I had to make myself scarce." He says with a playful smirk then walks ahead of me. "Come on, we will sneak out through the garden area and walk down to the shop."

Why do we need to sneak out? I don't say anything as we jog towards the garden but I turn my gaze down to the courtyard and see the Captain still standing there as he watches us running away. Looks like someone caught the King while sneaking out...

Women young and old are here looking at the different gowns and gazing at the young handsome royalty. The women must think he looks familiar but don't really recognize him as their King. Sebastian is wearing different clothes, as a commoner would wear but also his hair isn't groomed like usual. His brown locks hang down over his forehead almost covering his beautiful blue eyes. The hat he had on before, he took it off once we stepped inside the store. I think he looks particularly handsome this way and I see the girls swooning for that style too.

But the young King isn't looking at them though, instead his gaze is locked onto me as I step around the shop. I can feel his stare burrowing into the back of my head and I can't help but blush a little under his stare. It's off-putting to me that I want his attention only on me and no others.

There are so many dresses in here that I am afraid that I won't be able to choose one. The gowns vary in colour and patterns and they're all elegant in their own way. I glance at Sebastian hesitantly and the young King gives me a kind smile. He's letting me pick my own dress for the ball. This is somewhat overwhelming to me.

"Do you have any suggestions?" I ask twisting my body to him.

He laughs. "Nope this is all you Cam. Have a look, grab whatever catches your eye. Don't worry about the cost either."

My first ball, which requires you to wear those big grandiose dresses that are the size of a circus tent. Without Sebastian's help I couldn't afford it. I look down at my dress I bought with his money from the marketplace. It was weeks ago now. It is bland compared to what I've seen the people wear in this city and next to Sebastian well, I have noticed the staring from others. I know I don't fit in here, even if I am dressed for the part.

"You don't have to do this for me. I'm just a slave girl with nothing. You could ask any woman to the ball, a noblewoman for that matter, that would be better suited." I say to him as I lower my gaze to my feet. The slippers that I stole in my first days here are now tattered and filthy. Why did I wear these outside the castle, with the King no less. He must be embarrassed. I should invest in a new pair.

Sebastian grips the side of my arm making my gaze turn up to him. "Cam, you are no longer a slave. Look at your wrist. You are free and you are so much more than that. Even with that mark you were the girl who escaped and survived. You have learned how to read and write. You are more than capable of defending yourself, you are more than just a slave now. Your past shouldn't define who you are."

That is the kindest thing anyone has said about me. He's right though, I have grown into a strong woman, not a slave no longer. My past doesn't define me anymore. With a firm nod I step into an aisle of clothes that are hanging on a rack. Drakon or Elyse would always choose what I wore especially for big events. It was never an option for me but now I can make the decision for myself.

"Why ask me?" I ask turning around and he's right behind me.

"I don't want anyone else. I want to spend my birthday with you... If that is all right with you?"

My heart flutters and I nod my head. "Yes... I would like that."

We share a smile then he nudges me on the side to urge me to continue.

I still don't know if that answered my question. Why does he want to spend a special night with someone like me? I shake my head, stop overthinking it. As Sebastian ordered.

I pass some articles of dresses then stop when a evergreen dress catches my attention. The fabric is velvety with some lace on the sleeves and on the skirt. Circles and swirls of string are sewed in, it looks like leaves are falling in a summer breeze. It's beautiful, reminds me of the thick branches hanging from the trees in the forest. I keep walking though, as I want to see more of the dresses here and my eyes land on a dark purple one. I want to try it on.

I reach for the hem of my skirt about to pull it off so I can try on the dress when Sebastian grabs my wrist suddenly.

"Wait! Not here!" He tells me in a hushed tone. And seeing the fright on my face he lets go quickly.

"Sorry, but you can't undress here." He gives an apologetic smile then glances up to something behind me. "There are privacy rooms for that." I follow his gaze to across the room to doors with curtains hanging to be pulled over so no one can see in.

"Oh." Our eyes meet, again I feel the heat rising in my cheeks. "Sorry."

He gives me a warm smile. "It's okay." Then grabs the dress I chose and passes it to me. "Women use those rooms to change."

Embarrassed, I take it and step into the closet sized room and shut the curtain behind me. On the other side, I hear Sebastian talking to a woman as I undress. Even though I've been in these dresses plenty of times it is difficult doing this alone. The dress is spread open on my back and I try to pull the lace together. With a grunt I give up, the string won't stay.

"How are we doing Cam?" Seb asks. I see his feet peeking below the curtain.

"Um.. I can't seem to tie it up by myself." I tell him trying again. I hope he doesn't come in and help. That would make things even more uncomfortable.

Fingers snap twice then Seb's voice asking for help and footsteps approach my curtain. Just a head pokes through the edge of the red fabric. "Do you need assistance?" It's an older woman, not as old as Elyse or Maude but I can tell she is older than I am.

I answer with a quick nod and after a moment she steps in smiling wide. "Oh let me help you with that honey." She says holding her hands out grabbing for the lace strings. 

"Thank you Miss."

"No worries My Lady. It's part of the job." She pulls on a string with a grunt and air escapes my chest. Oh my! That's too tight!

When she finishes, she stands in front of me and her jaw drops. "My, my! What a lovely figure you have. That dress looks exquisite on you. Your boyfriend will love it." Boyfriend? I bite my lip feeling my body heat up as the woman lightly shoves me to the side in front of a mirror and steps out of the way for me to see the dress.

My goodness. This dress is exquisite. A dress never fitted so well, it hugs my chest and waist tightly allowing to show the curves nicely.

"I'll take it."

"I'll have your dress sent to the castle for the seamstress to work on it. You should meet her tomorrow so she can take your measurements." Seb tells me after handing the right amount of coin to the lady at the counter.

We step out into the warm morning street. People have started their day, walking around or riding in their carriages. "I should return before I get yelled at again." Sebastian says turning to me. "Are you coming back with me?"

"Actually I would like to be on my own for a bit before returning." It has been a while since I've been outside the castle and I want to see Cherry and Audrey, they must be itching for more information about the King. It'll be nice to see my friends on my day off. Also I need to buy myself some more clothes.

The King looks at me with a clenched jaw. "Are you sure?" He asks calmly but he there's worry behind those sapphire eyes.

"Yes." Something in my chest flutters at his stare. "I'll be fine."

His mouth forms a hard line as he glances over his shoulder then he sighs turning back to me. "I can't tell you what to do... Just do not stray too far, please."

Later that afternoon when I return to my room there is another note left for me on my pillow. 'Meet me in my study when you read this.'

Sounds urgent. I wonder why he needs to see me again. Maybe he found something out about who is trying to steal the throne.

Quickly making my way up to Seb's study, I find his door closed so I knock on it twice. His muffled 'come in,' echoes past the wood door and I push it open.

"What's wrong?" I ask because his brows are furrowed as he glares at me.

"Where have you been?"

"What, what do you mean? I went out..."

"Yes, for more than two hours. Sherman saw you at the Lucky Star and I told you to not stray too far. Yet you decide to go down to the Night District anyway. Do you know how dangerous it is there?"

"They are my friends." I tell him then blink at him. Wait. "You had Sherman follow me?" Why is he mad at me, I'm free to do whatever I please. He said it; that he couldn't tell me what to do.

"I had to make sure you were safe. Because Drakon could still be lurking in my city!" He slams an open palm down on the table and stands up from his chair. "And you go to the worst place in Adelaide! Anyone could have picked you up off the street. Did you not think that he might have notified Lord Hearthgrim where you are? How could you be so reckless?"

That may be true but he doesn't need to yell at me. He has no reason to yell and it makes me mad. He is right, I was reckless. "I told you I am fine! You needn't have someone follow me around! It was one day." Acting like I'm a damned child that needs their hand held, I thought he was better than that. "I can take care of myself for Divines sake!" I yell stepping up in front of him.

His nostrils flare not backing away so we are only a hand length apart. "I know you can! It was for my own peace of mind. If something happened to you..." His lips part as we stare at each other but he shakes his head turning away from me. "No one would've known if he caught you, at least with Sherman he can alert someone or help you himself."

"I know how to defend myself. If I was able to break free from him, I can do it again because you taught me how." Thank the Divine he did. He has helped me countless times now that I should be grateful for him continuing to watch over me. I shouldn't be diverting my anger at him. Seb didn't do anything wrong.

He shakes his head as he sighs and I can feel the heat from his breath against my face which makes me realize how close to him I actually am. But I don't move. There's things I didn't see about his face before. A small part of his front tooth is chipped that I haven't noticed until now. I also find a faint scar on the left of his chin. Being this close, you can see every detail clearly. He shifts slightly and I blink, peeking up at his hooded eyes. He is looking at me differently, he's not mad anymore. My own anger washes away in an instant.

His tongue pokes out from the inside of his cheek and he just nods. "I know you can, so does Drakon now. I wanted to make sure you were all right, that's all." He speaks softly.

If he was so worried he should have just told me, or came along if it was that much of a problem. The thought of some man I don't know watching while I had no idea. I should have been more aware, should have noticed right away... He cared enough though to send someone because of Drakon, and now Hearthgrim might be here. They could easily take me away without any difficulty.

Seb stands quiet, gazing into my eyes then down to my lips. His throat bobs and I can't help but shift a little closer to him and close my eyes. Something pulls me to him, his lips are inviting, how he smells. His warm breath ripples over my mouth. I can feel the tip of his nose skim my cheek. His hand hovers just below my ear, waiting to pull me closer.

A knock on the door interrupts us and we both twist our heads towards the sound as Maude pokes her head in. "I heard screaming, is everything..." She stops.

Her weary eyes shift from me to him and she clears her throat loudly. I realize we are standing too close, so I step to the side and cross my arms with my head down, embarrassed. What came over me just now? The look she gave us tells me that there is no explanation to what she saw.

"What is it Maude?" He asks, running a hand through his hair, with a raspy voice.

"More reports came in. The Captain would like you to look them over." She says quietly and holds some papers out in front of her.

I don't look at him or the old woman and don't address him as I leave the study. When I walk past Maude, she stares at me with furrowed brows and a thin smile.

"Cam..." He says but I keep walking through the open door. It's not my place to be there anyway and I am not in the mood to talk to him.

Who does he think he is anyway? I kick at the carpet as I stomp my way through the quiet halls. He was only concerned for my safety. How could I have been so reckless? The thought of Drakon finding me again never crossed my mind which now makes me shiver uncontrollably.

If he did, well I think I would have been able to fight him off but if I failed... Against two men though... No, it would've been impossible. Thank the Divine I didn't cross paths with him again. I should apologize for my outburst. It was rude of me.

And what was that between us before Maude came in? Something shifted in that moment, we were so close. Our lips almost touched... I almost kissed him. I almost let him kiss me. I wanted it to happen. Still do... I place a hand over my beating heart, it thumps heavily under my skin.

With a deep sigh, I enter a large narrow room with no windows. This must be the throne room because of the single large decorated chair against a wall sitting on top a raised platform. Hmm.. I glance behind me to make sure no one is near then dash to the throne and sit in it.

My goodness, why would they make such a piece so large? Sitting in it, I feel tiny. When I am all the way back, my feet don't reach the floor. Sebastian's would, he is tall enough. I lift my hands up to feel the smooth wood carved into the arms. It is exquisite though, I wonder how often Seb uses this. Is there a purpose for this room anyway? I'll have to ask him after I apologize. The huge empty space sits silent before me and I can't help but imagine a group of people watching back at me expectantly. My royal subjects.

Feeling nervous, I quickly stand up and shake my head. How can Sebastian handle crowds like that? I couldn't or wouldn't like all that attention on me.

Holding myself tightly, I glance to the walls now taking in the different pictures of some countryside then they change to people. Portraits of men and women with varying children. All dressed nicely and wearing crowns. Past royals of Adelaide.

A smile tugs at my face realizing that I get to see who used to rule these lands long ago. The first one must be the first Emporer, Samon was it? Just by his pointed ears I could tell who he was, the woman beside him also has pointed ears. A handsome couple. There are more portraits along the wall of the other Kings and Queens long passed.

A pair of familiar blue eyes catches my attention near the end of the line. This must be Sebastian's great grandfather painted with his Queen, two girls and one son with the same blue eyes.

Sebastian comes from a handsome family. His grandfather and father have those same magnificent blue eyes. Velan and Vernon sit before their father in the portrait. The boys look almost identical to each other. Next my eyes fall onto the last family portrait to a much younger Sebastian. I giggle to myself seeing this innocent version of him with a wide toothless grin, he looks so happy here. It's sort of weird seeing him so small. I wonder how much time had passed after this was painted when his mother died...

My gaze drifts up to his mother, to a kind face and pale blue eyes. Her golden hair is combed neatly down the side of her chest. I have seen her before in a picture just a younger version of her. Where?... How? I have never seen nor met her yet she looks familiar.

Bile starts to rise to my throat. I was forced to become her, Sebastian's mother. Amelia. His mother is Amelia. Never would I thought of this moment, to meet the woman I had to become for that man. Her eyes, I can't stop looking at her eyes. I had those eyes. They were a part of me. A terrible shudder rips through my body and the air around me turns thick and heavy. Out, I need to get out.

Gasping for air I spin towards the nearest door. Out, out, out. Where is the outside. I need air. Where? Rushing through the halls I manage to find an exit to a walkway. I fall to the hard floor on my hands and knees, unable to hold it in anymore, and vomit over the railing. When there is nothing left my body shakes as I stare at the stone floor beneath me. How is this possible? How does Hearthgrim know Sebastian's mother? Didn't he say her name was Eva? Hearthgrim made me look like her, he made me look like her. Become her.

I look up to the blue sky, trying to calm myself. He made me look like her because he knew her? He knew the Queen, he knew Sebastian's mother. Did he love her? Hearthgrim must be from here. Shaking my head I sit up and rest my back against the solid railing then lower my head between my legs. Sebastian will need to know of this. Divine help me... How do I tell him? Will I be able to even speak it aloud? I curl up into the smallest ball and drift deep into my thoughts.

Sometime later I hear footsteps coming near me. I don't bother lifting my head up, I don't want to talk to anyone right now. Hopefully they won't bother me and just keep walking.

"Cam?"

Oh no. I slowly lift my head to see him with a worried look on his face. I must look terrible if he is gazing at me with his mouth parted open and eyes wide. The most distinguishing feature is his paling face which almost sends me over the edge.

"Hi." I say coarser than I wanted.

He crouches down so we are eye level. "I am so sorry that I yelled at you like that. I did not mean to upset you...  Please forgive me."

"No, no." I gulp down on a dry throat when I peek up to him and I cannot meet his gaze. "You didn't upset me, you were right to be angry. I was foolish and wasn't thinking about my well being. I should be the one apologizing for yelling..." He was only looking out for me as I should have been for myself. Both Drakon and Hearthgrim could very well be in this city now. If they did find me I would be gone forever and Sebastian wouldn't even know until it was too late.

My head lowers to my arms that are resting across my knees. "I'm sorry for worrying you." I say with a sniffle and tears start to form in my eyes.

Seb hushes me as he slides next to me. I can't stop myself from flinching when our elbows touch and he leans away quickly at a safe distance. "Either way." He coughs. "I-I shouldn't have yelled... I am sorry Cam."

His soft spoken words makes my heart weigh down in my chest even more. He thinks I am this way because of him. With a heaving chest I tell him that it is okay but he doesn't believe me.

He shifts beside me and breathes out heavily. "Then why are you crying, I don't like seeing you this way. Was it because of..." He stops with another cough, rubbing the back of his neck.

Is he asking about us almost kissing? Heat rises to my cheeks. I bite my lip and wipe my face while still looking down. "No... I am upset with myself for being so foolish." Which is true, that is part of the reason.

We are quiet for a moment then he speaks again. "Don't beat yourself up too much for it, I shouldn't have overreacted that way. He probably would not have recognized you with your different hair."

"Maybe..." I say after wiping my nose again then rest my head looking at the stone wall before us.

"Cam?"

"Hmm." I mumble in response but he's silent. Maybe he didn't hear me, so I look up at him and he's watching me intently. "What?"

The ball in his throat bobs. "Can you forgive me for yelling at you?"

A small smile tugs at the corner of my lips. "As long as you can forgive me."

"Of course I can." He chuckles looking away, then shifts his eyes to me. "Just don't do it again unless you have someone with you."

"Yes, Your Majesty." I say and nudge my shoulder in his side which makes him gasp loudly.

"No commoner is allowed to hit their King! You are lucky you weren't punished for raising your voice at me either! Greatly disrespectful of you little bird."

I laugh throwing my head back. "Little bird? I should shift into one right now and peck at you again!" I threaten then use my finger to poke at his solid arm.

"Hey!" He yelps, "That kind of hurts, stop!" And jumps up hurriedly, rubbing his arm pretending he is wounded.

A light giggle bubbles up as I watch him and he smiles back. He lifts a hand up to help me stand.

"There's that drop-dead smile of yours." He says when we are face to face and his eyes lower to my mouth again. He looks at me like he sees me for me. Not like the other men and see what they want to see. They saw through me, where Seb looks at me.

My cheeks immediately flush red at those words and all I can do is bite my lip and look away.

"So," He says, tucking his hands into his pockets. "You look a little pale, you should go eat something."

Oh, right. "Good idea." Lunch would have already been served but I am sure there are leftovers. After this morning I think I could eat a whole roast by myself. I dust off the dirt and look at him with a smile. "Thanks."

"Before I forget, Nezra is available tomorrow, at 1:30 to give you your first Magi lesson."

"Okay," I grin at him. "Will you be there?"

"Of course."

"Good." I move a piece of hair out of my face and tuck it behind my ear and I can feel his eyes on me but I say. "I will see you tomorrow then."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

15.4K 510 35
"Why don't you think I'm a monster?" "I've never said I don't think you are a monster. You are." Sebastian looks at me. His eyes are blank and I can...
550K 22.5K 53
Pandora is given a box. Quite simply, she must never open it. And Pandora is normally very good at following rules. Until she isn't. Out comes her...
2.2K 90 17
"I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the ...
14.9K 448 26
This is a long story skip to the lemon if you want ya weirdos **slow burner with a lot of lore** A famous pure blooded young witch seems to have caug...