Lemon Cake

By AmethystAmber87

#PartyBoss isn't a term Tulip Carpenter coined herself but she wears it with pride. Her life is a party, she'... More

Cast
Moodboard
Copyright
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Ten Years and Ten Months Ago
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Ten Years and Ten Months Ago
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Ten Years and Ten Months Ago
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Ten Years and Ten Months Ago
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Ten Years and Ten Months Ago
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fifteen
Ten Years and Nine Months Ago
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Ten Years and Eight Months Ago
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Epilogue
Spinoff

Chapter Fourteen

4.2K 434 71
By AmethystAmber87

Eight inches of pleasure sounded good. Tulip even had her outfit in mind; cream, lace, and see-through underneath a knee-length cardigan. But she couldn't encourage herself to change out of her leggings and t-shirt to get sexy. Her stomach was full and she'd finally, after days of trying, got Sydney to speak more English. French was still making an appearance but only with the slick statements, she didn't want anyone to comprehend.

Tulip didn't know who was at fault for the youngster's cleverness; herself, Jasper, or Amellia's fine rearing. Whoever it was she wanted to give them a hard side-eye even if she had to look in the mirror and glared at her reflection.

Before the sun rested on the day, She sent Austin a text telling him swinging by her house wasn't an option and she didn't know when it'll ever be. It was difficult tapping 'send' but she didn't want to string him along. Dick was good. She loved sex but there was nothing like the warm, tingle that started in her chest and bloomed up to her head as she watched Sydney settle in bed and drift to sleep.

Truth be told, she was falling for Austin but she'd already loved Sydney since the day she felt her first kick her abdomen in calculus class. He just couldn't compete. She had to do right by her this time which meant putting her first.

Sunday night was a dream. Monday was a blur as she dog-paddled in the deep end of being a working 'mom' consulting with clients and managing Sydney. Tuesday came and went with one minor hiccup. Why the hell did Lachlyn have to bring his dog Poddle over? The four-legged creature had the little girl asking for one of her very own. Tulip hadn't said 'no' that many times in her life. Wednesday arrived and she was where she was supposed to be promptly strolling in the cafe and he was already there.

Mr. Irvine, no first name was given in the email he sent her two days ago, wasn't just prompt. He was early. Early as hell. A fact that he informed her of as soon as she pulled out the chair in front of him. It wasn't her fault that he showed up twenty-three minutes ahead of schedule. Unfortunately, the terseness of his immaculate copper face conveyed the complete opposite. She ignored the way he turned up his nose as she ended her call with Neisha. She needed to see how Sydney was doing back at the office. The girl hadn't been away from her side since she was placed in her care. She had to make sure things were fine.

"Have you ordered, yet?" She asked, sitting her satchel purse next to her in the roomy tufted leather chair and she caught him checking the designer's metal medallion.

Was he one of those? The type of person that thought the name brands you flaunted determined the status and value of a person. She couldn't decide with a hundred percent accuracy but he dripped in luxurious labels. Prada sunglasses sat atop his silky arctic white hair. A silver Bulova watch adorned the wrist he flicked toward the menu and the velvet Versace coat, which was too hot to be wearing during June but she wasn't going to tell him, clung to his lithe torso.

"I don't drink caffeine after ten." He retired from his leisure position and sat up straight. "It gives you wrinkles."

"Well, that's cool." She tipped her hand up, beckoned the waiter, and ordered an iced brew. Once the waiter hustled back to the bar she crossed her legs, giving Mr. Irvine her attention. "You had to have known Amelia a long time for her to put you in charge of Sydney's trust."

He sighed with a look of disappointment, then rolled his thin shoulders back. "Amelia was my dearest friend. However, this meeting doesn't pertain to her."

"I know. I was just—"

"Making unnecessary small talk." He abruptly cut her off.

"Its Southern hospitality." Tulip's eyes narrowed, locking in on him as she inched closer to the table. "There's no need for rudeness."

"You don't know me. This isn't rudeness. I'm forward and to the point. Wasting time with formalities and such isn't my cup of tea."

Tulip nodded then bestowed a thank -you to the waiter as they placed her brew before her. "You must be a busy man."

"I am." He delicately opened the leather-bound iPad sitting on the table in front of him, "It's my duty to ensure Sydney is being taken care of by the standards and manner that she is accustomed to. Now, Amelia left behind loose recommendations for you to some wiggle room but the things that are firm pertain to Sydney's education, living arrangements, and well-being."

"All things that are important to me, too," Tulip added. "It's summer now so no school. She has her own room and she smiled more today than she did all last week. So, check, check, and check." She brimmed a confident smile.

Mr. Irvine did not. "Sydney had a governess."

"Lola," Tulip interjected this time. "Lovely young woman."

"Yes." He swiped his finger across the screen. "She provided year-round learning for Sydney. How will you uphold that standard?"

"Is this..." Tulip's braids shifted across her back as she tilted her head. "...and interview."

"It's a meeting as described in my email." He stoically reminded, then gestured for her to answer his question.

"Um..." Tulip evened out the fabric of her white pants as she recrossed her legs as she pondered on what to say next. This felt like a quiz she hadn't studied for. In the last couple of days, she hadn't thought much about Sydney's education. It was the middle of summer. She had more than a month to figure those details out. "Reading is a must. Books are everywhere in my house."

Comic books and old editions of National Geographics but he didn't need to know that.

"Math, science, and history need to be accounted for too." He typed something on the screen. She stretched her neck to catch sight of the words but reading upside down wasn't a Spidey skill she mastered. "I suggest you pick up some more books on your way home."

There was that rude-snobbish 'I went to Yale and live on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. Know your place.'  tone that had her itching to toss a 'bitch' his way but she fought the urge and put on a faux smile instead.

"A trip to Barnes & Noble will be in our future. Not you and me but me and Sydney."

"Sydney and I." He corrected.

Mother fucker.

"What?" He blinked rapidly, faint lines whiskering at the corners of his eyes.

Shit, you said that out loud. She slapped her hand over her mouth. She only meant to think the words. Curse him out in her mind. Not fling the word at his Botoxed face. Was she going to apologize? If it was something she really wanted to do then no. If the person deserved it definitely not but this was a different circumstance. He was over Sydney's trust. He was the person that made sure Sydney was properly taken care of and had the power to strip Sydney out of her care. So, she uttered the words she rarely said to someone that earned a tongue lashing.

"My bad. It just slipped out. I'm sorry."

He glared at her with a fierceness that would back a weaker woman crumble. "Profanity is prohibited. Amelia didn't allow anyone to pollute Sydney's ears and mind with such obscene language." He lowered his eyes to the device tapping his fingertips on the sleek screen. "Do keep up that habit."

"I'm not Amelia."

"What?" His head quickly perked up.

"I'm not Amelia." She clearly said. "I'm Tulip. I can't do everything she did and I don't think she wanted me to." She confidently sat back in the chair. "She left me a letter letting me know exactly how she wanted her daughter raised. Our daughter." She noticed his slight flinch from those two words. "Having school in the summer wasn't in the plan." She pushed back her chair and stood. "Now, if I need money, which I won't...I'll call you. And Sydney's fine even though you failed to ask."

He stood as well with a priggish grin. "Amelia may have left you a little letter." He dismissively said. "She was sentimental as her illness progressed and she always held out hope for lost causes. But she left me in charge and when you fail, make any misstep I'll relinquish you of your duty."

"I'm not failing." Tulip snatched her purse from the chair. "So, you can take your ass back to New York." She started to leave but turned back around. "And I'm not sorry. You're an asshole." She flicked him off then strutted the cafe with the fierceness of a runway model. 

Do you think Tulip made the right choice by not going to see Austin? How do you think her MIA is going to affect their situationship?

Was Tulip wrong for telling off Mr. Irvine? Are were her actions justified? 

Why do you think Mr. Irvine treated Tulip the way he did? Will he be a problem for the duo?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

383K 12.6K 56
'I'll always choose you, why can't you just choose me? Just this once?' #1 insecure - 17/11/2022 #1 lifequotes - 28/11/2022 #1 druglord - 30/11/2022 ...
19K 1.2K 51
[My nubile body ripened with lustful desire for every inch of this Seraph of a being. Finalizing our orally initiated bliss he steps back as his nimb...
606 3 12
Dreams a party animal to say the least, a wild card, someone that's always down for whatever whenever. But she's also the queen of getting her get ba...
1.4M 86K 63
"You trust me?" I look up at him, staring into his light brown eyes that stared directly at me. It felt like he was staring into my soul trying to re...