Loathed Treasure

By FreshRawRot

Why does Jennette get all the love while Athanasia is overshadowed by her? Claude ignores his own daughter on... More

Note
Chapter 1: Face to Face
Chapter 2: Meeting
Chapter 3: Cold-Blooded
Chapter 4: Adventure
Chapter 5: Thoughts
Chapter 6: Destiny
Chapter 7: Lady Angel
Chapter 8: Worries
Chapter 9: Undead
Chapter 10: Surging
Chapter 11: Whole
Chapter 12: Pampered
Chapter 13: Gift
Chapter 14: Emerging
Chapter 15: Rise
Chapter 16: Stalemated
Chapter 17: Deceived
Chapter 18: Issues
Chapter 19: Encounter
Chapter 20: Debut
Side Story: The Maid and The Knight
Chapter 21: New Start
Chapter 22: Gone
Chapter 23: Lies
Chapter 24: Redemption
Chapter 25: Trickster
Chapter 26: Fame
Chapter 27: Charmed
Chapter 28: Grand
Chapter 29: Obsession
Special Extra: Bidding
Chapter 30: Conflict
Chapter 31: Frick
Chapter 32: Bloom
Chapter 34: Farewell
Chapter 35: Familiar
Chapter 36: Relations
Chapter 37: Entrance
Chapter 38: Recognition
Chapter 39: Misery
Chapter 40: Despair
Chapter 41: Change
Chapter 42: Retribution
Chapter 43: Journey
Chapter 44: Cleave
Chapter 45: Fin
Author's Note
New Fanfic
Peek-A-Boo

Chapter 33: Peace

4.2K 212 470
By FreshRawRot

"Prepare to march right into the household and make sure nobody knows about this" Claude commands his servants and they all nod as they scurry away.

Anastacius blinks while staring out at the bright sun just floating around in the sky, moving in one direction. His face straight and emotionless, not a hint of worry expression nor his facial muscle twitch. Just blank and not surprised at all. He sighs and opens his palm to reveal a black symbol engraved on it like a tattoo. Unremovable and eating him alive as time passes on. It was a sign of his departure.

"... He finally noticed" He said bluntly and turned around to go back inside. "I guess we should throw a welcome party for him while we're at it" He grins wistfully and weakly with a pale face. Still staying positive even though the worse is about to happen.

***

The maids were quickly informed about the attack by Anastacius and prepared themselves for a real battle. He was serious about it yet not concerned nor confident. He was just sad and it made everyone nervous at his expression but they immediately got to work. Setting up traps and cleaning up their messes of past murders while getting their weapons ready for the surprise. However, the target didn't get prepared at all nor even bothered planning. He just sat in his office and enjoyed a cup of tea while reading Athanasia's old letters that she hid but not very well.

"My Duke-"

"Ah. No need to call me that anymore. Just say my name" He exclaims and Lily furrowed her forehead in bewilderment but went along with it.

"Erm. Sir Anastacius.." Lily said awkwardly, new to calling her master by his birth name. "We finished setting traps everywhere and killed off the remaining prisoners in the dungeon. Everyone is ready for battle but can't we just invade them first?"

"... No, it'll take more time and effort if we do that" He smiles weakly and Lily frowns with her lips quivering. "Protect them and escape to the Sidonna Kingdom. I will hold them off along with the others as much as I can while you guys escape. And don't go crazy with the killing" He let out a gentle chuckle and her eyes droop with sadness. "... What did I tell you about getting emotional, Lily?"

"... Why?" She looks at the floor while clenching her chest. "We were living so peacefully in hiding and you're going to let him ruin it? Why can't we just take back the throne, your rightful place as emperor and Athanasia as the princess? What happened to that dream?"

She looks at him with her blue pupils shaking around while her body trembles in despair. He gives her a dull face with dejection filled in his blue jeweled eyes. He exhales and stands up straight while staring directly into her eyes with a stern face that doesn't show any ambition nor hope.

"It was a dream and it shall remain a dream forever"

Lily's heart dropped as his sentence and her eyes moved to the floor, wide open and in shock. "Is that it?"

"Lily, I suggest you prepare yourself too just in case you run into the emperor when fighting tonight" He turned around and faced the window. "You may leave.."

"Yes," She bows and goes to the door. However while reaching for the doorknob, the door burst open with Diana all shaken with her eyes turning pink and teeth bare in anguish. Lily was startled by her appearance and bit her lips, knowing what was about to happen and walked past her to the hallway in concern. Diana marched straight into his office and to Anastacius who was stunned by her teary face.

"What are you talking about?!" She yelled at him and he gave her an indifferent face. "A battle?!"

"... yes" He responds and she raises her hand at him but he blocks it by holding her wrist. With the other free hand, he reached out to touch her face but she slapped it off.

"Why?! Why are you fighting him?!" She cried with tears sliding off her face and dripping onto the ground. "How could you make us leave?!"

"It's for the best and your and Athanasia's sake" His heartthrobs in pain at her breaking down in despair.

She cries tiredly at the shocking information that she overheard. A war was coming to them and they're forced to run away to safety, leaving behind Anastacius to possibly die in the hands of his own brother for the second time.

"You can't make us do that! I don't accept this!"

"Well it's already happening and there's no way to stop it." He tells her and she grabs his collar while pulling him close to her face.

"We're supposed to be a family!" She scowls at him and he watches her shout at him. They both knew that arguing wouldn't do anything so all she did was break down in agony while sobbing about everything they did together. She was experiencing the worst pain of potentially losing a very important person to her, it was more painful than she thought.

"Diana, I also don't want this but please go. For Athanasia, her life is important too you know"

"But what about you?" She wiped her tears and controlled her breathing. "Don't you realize that she loves you too?!... I... I" She bit her lips and covered her eyes with her elbow. "...... Please don't do this to us" She asked a selfish request but he frowned and faced away.

"I'm sorry," He said and Diana grits her teeth.

She stomps out of his office with her face completely paled and eyes tired. Without taking a glance at Anastacius, she ran to her room to grief while covering her face. Athanasia witnessed her fleeing in the hallways and got worried about her from the other side.

"Mother?" She gazed at her as the door closed behind her into the dark room. Athanasia walked over but was stopped by the maids who told her to go back to her room. "But I want to see my mother"

"I'm sorry, Miss. But we can't let you for now. You should go back"

"No." Athanasia refused and tried to walk right past them only to get thrown back by them. "What are you doing? Can't you see my mother is in pain?"

"Then we'll send Hannah to check on her. For now, it's best that you go back to your room. Please, Miss"

"Don't tell me to go back" she gripped her fist tightly and stomped straight to them. The maids sigh and grabbed her wrists. "What are you doing?!"

"I'm sorry."

A hand jabbed her right in the neck in various spots and she became stunned by it, soon she lost consciousness and fell into their arms. They all close their eyes and pray for her health and life one last time before the real chaos happens. Thinking that it might be their last day working here or even living here. For all they know, they had to fight a battle and it won't be an easy one either.

She was placed in her bed all alone and relaxed with dreams. As time passes with the maids getting dressed and in formation for the war, Athanasia still remains asleep in her bed somehow. Ignoring all the loud noises and the unsettling mood, she was living in a fantasy world during her sleep where all her dreams came true. She was happy and at peace but deep inside, there was an upset feeling that something bad is bound to happen. Though she was still unconscious and couldn't wake up easily.

"..." Anastacius hovers over Athanasia's sleeping face with a grin and sits on the side of the bed while watching her. "Whether you hear me or not, but I'm afraid this might be our last day together. I'm sorry that I have to go like this without talking to you properly"

He grins at her while she lays in bed with her eyes closed. "All this time, I thought I needed to be emperor in order to be happy but it wasn't. It turned out the crown wouldn't give me happiness. It wasn't about being powerful..." He brushed her hair. "I didn't realize it until I met you. Right in my secret hidden room where no regular human being can enter."

"You gave me hope, ambition, confidence, and faith. But most importantly, joy. Without you, I didn't think I would feel like this and be happy and loved. Having a family is truly a gift." His hand hovered over her forehead and he looked sadly at her.

"... Goodbye, Athanasia. My daughter and moon"

A teardrop slips out of his face as a cloud of mist flows out of his hand and gets absorbed into her body.

***

The palace in a swarm with the knights being gathered without knowing their real missions. Claude prepares himself to infiltrate the noble household while Felix sits on the floor, leaning against the wall in disappointment at his bosom brother's action. Just a secret mission to ambush the family and it was an immoral sin but no one couldn't question the emperor about it.

"Your Majesty, this is unnecessary though. The Karalis household doesn't even have knights nor any guards to protect them. Why would you need an army?"

"Don't question me" Claude sneers at him but Felix still doesn't back down.

"There are innocent maids in there too!"

"Then we can spare them... if possible"

"Your Majesty... Are you actually doing this?" Felix glares at him with his vein-popping out and his hand-formed into a tight fist.

"...." Claude doesn't care about Felix's angry face and nods which made him shocked. Then he turned to his army of trained knights and gave them one order.

"Kill if you need to but leave the Duke to me. Capture the Duchess and her daughter alive and bring them to me" Claude announced and Felix gaped at him with a pale face. "And make sure there's not a single scratch on them," He said harshly with a cold tone and they all nodded quickly.

Felix couldn't convince him nor get in his head but instead is forced to watch from aside as the horror unravels. There was no hope in stopping this fight.

Meanwhile, Anastacius was sitting in his chair all calm and peaceful, watching the sunset as the night took over. It made him feel at ease and nice despite the fact that his brother was going to attack him at the very moment. Then the scouter bursts into his office and walks up to him while bowing her head.

"The army was spotted marching to the mansion from the palace as we speak" She informs him and he nods his head. "They got split into 3 groups, surrounding us from different directions. The front and two sides though they cannot go through the back so that will be our escape route"

"... Interesting, I didn't think he would use such a cheap move" Anastacius stands up and picks up his polish sword. "Make sure they both escape and get to the Sidonna Kingdom safely."

"Yes," She bows and runs out of his office restlessly.

"Sigh. Looks like we'll be having another fight" He smirks and looks at his own reflection in the sword. ".... I'm still handsome no matter what"

He takes off his wedding ring as he reminisces a memory of him making a vow with Diana and places it gently on his desk with a sad grin. "This is the end and a new beginning"

He walks out of his office freely and down the hall, leaving behind his fake identity and joy. He was about to meet his brother again, face to face, with the same face but a different personality.

***

-.

.

.--

...

-

.-

.-.

-

"Mmmh" Athanasia groans as she opens her eyes with a splitting headache on the ground. She used her hand to sit herself up and rested her eyes while bearing the headache.

'What is this pain?' She grinds her teeth as she holds her head. It felt as if her mind was about to break and her brain about to explode. Strange and a mysterious pain but she was also in the garden among the flower field. She scanned the area slowly with tired eyes and couldn't think properly.

"... Dad?" She gets off the ground and tries to stand up but instead falls back down after her legs give up. "Mom?" Her head turned over to the mansion and her eyes widened with her jewel orbs shrunken and trembling.

".... What is happening?" She whispered as she looked at the dark mansion with the windows and doors broken. Holes, big and small, everywhere on the roof and walls. It was nearly ruined yet the garden remained intact.

BOOM

A loud noise from the inside erupts all of a sudden, causing a small earthquake followed by the sound of steels sliding and hitting against each other. Her face whitens in fright after realizing what was happening.

The war has begun.

'Everyone!' She pushed herself off the ground to get on her feet but failed again. She repeats and fails. She crawls in the direction of the mansion where everyone was fighting for their lives. She was dragging her whole body against the dirt with her arms only working. She was already tired the moment she woke up but she didn't care. She wanted to help despite being very weak. 'No! I have to save them!'

Her vision blurs as she continues crawling to the mansion but she was still too far from it. Begging in her mind and mad at herself, darkness begins to take over as she passes out again.

"Please.... Someone" She whispered with her voice straining. "...no" She huffed and laid on the ground unconsciously. Hardly breathing and in constant pain, she couldn't do anything and just fell asleep.

'Master!' Raven sprints toward the body that was facing down. He was tired alright but he still had the energy to rush to his owner. His fur was black but stained with blood but not as much as his mouth. It was dripping red blood and mixed with his drool. His eyes were fierce and dead but a thirst for murder. He had fought in the war.

He sniffs Athanasia and put his snort near her face, trying to lift her arm. He whimpers and whines to wake her up but she doesn't twitch one bit and just slept. A person steps right beside her body and crouches down to take a closer look at the body. Raven looks up with a sad face and whimpers again while touching Athanasia with his nose.

"... Is she alright?" Someone walks up beside the person as she places her hand over her forehead.

"... Her body is stabilizing" Diana took a deep breath and a sheet of light appeared in her palm, shining over Athanasia's forehead. Her face was hardened and sweating from the pain but slowly it relaxed and she stopped wrinkling her face. She was finally calm and breathing normally.

Diana smiles at her work and takes her hand off. "I'll be back, my daughter" She stands up and turns to face the few servants. "Stay with Athanasia for the time being and you too Raven!" She gives the dog a stern face and he nods.

"Yes. But we should be going now. We already got rid of one group and the others will hold off the rest. Though Anastacius is nowhere to be found..."

"... Yes.... let's go" Diana looks up at the stars with the wind breezing onto her face then she turned to the mansion and dazed at it.

(You don't need to read this but this is just extra. Hehehehe)

Two maids are seen wandering the hallways with their brooms at night. They chat like it was nothing talking about the loud noises within the mansion and how it was ruined. While walking around, a group of knights was spotted on the other side of the hallway with their swords in their hands and all armored up. The ladies stopped and gazed at the threatening knights as they came closer to them.

"Who are you? Are you even allowed to be here?" One of them asked, scared with their bodies shivering. (Maid 1)

"The Karalis don't even have knights so what are you doing here?" The other's voice cracked and they stepped closer to them. (Maid 2). The knights were looking down on the "weak" and "frightened" maids.

"We're here to kill you" The knight answered them bluntly and pointed his sword at them.

The other put his hand down and glares at him furiously. "That wasn't his order. We only kill if we need to and these two are just innocent maids" He argued.

"Tsk. Fine" He sneered at them and they both flinched. "Tell us where the Duchess and the daughter are and leave this place. There's a fight going on and you two will just get in the way"

"Why would we tell you where they are?" The maid gives him a threatening face and he even shudders at it. (Maid 1)

"Do you want to die?"

"Hey! That's enough!" The knight gets in between and takes over the conversation. "Sorry ladies but we're just following orders. So can you please-"

WHACK

The maid hits the nice knight in the head with her broom, breaking the stick but also knocking him out. He fell onto the ground and they stared at the body. Then blood gushes out of his head and bleeds onto the ground. They all turned to the woman who was breathing hard with her hand gripped tight on the broken broom. The broken part was still hanging onto the end, barely and dripping blood from the impact. She drops it and covers her mouth while staring at the unconscious man. (Maid 2)

"... Run..." Her co-worker grabs her hand with a serious face. "Run!" She yelled and the other nodded. (Maid 1)

They both ran in the opposite direction and away from the knights.

"Chase them and make them pay for their sins" The man commands harshly and the others begin going after them. He was furious at the fact that a mere maid managed to knock out his fellow well-trained knight and even make him bleed.

Then he sprints ahead, leaving behind the knight that was bleeding to death.

The maids were running straight at an incredible speed that even baffled the knights but they still managed to keep their eyes on them.

"Are you crazy!? Why did you do that?!" (Maid 1). And you know the rest.

"Well, I gotta do what I have to do!"

"He says to prevent as many deaths as you can! You're doing it on purpose!"

"It doesn't matter! There's no point when the emperor is suddenly attacking us out of nowhere!" She glared at her. "We already committed many sins that were unforgivable. Right now, do morals even matter anymore?"

"...."

"We both made a vow and a sacrifice. Many of them. We broke and demoralized ourselves. So I'm saying we should kill them first or else it's us or should I say them too?"

She clicks her tongue while letting go of her co-worker's hand. "... Sigh. If let's split up and lead them into the trap"

"Fine."

They both split up at the end of the hallway and the group does the same, chasing both of them. The first maid zooms to the left with her broom in her hands and her ponytail flying in the air, bouncing up and down while the knights chase her from behind. Soon she stops at the dead-end in the dark with nothing but a vase and a table by her side and the broom in her hands. The knights slow down and block the alone maid in the hallway.

"You're trapped. There's nowhere to run now and so it's best that you cooperate with us" The knight said in a cold tone to her back but she remained frozen as she held onto her broom. One hand in the center and the other on the near-end. Her eyes were wide open and glistening in the dark as the knight approached her.

"No..." She mutters and he furrows his eyebrows.

"You don't have a choice. If you refuse, then we'll have to end your life" He threatens.

"Not until I end your life first..." She said and they all tilted their heads at her. A few were confused and others were snickering at her pathetic threat.

"Come on, don't res-" The moment the knight placed his hand on her shoulder. She pulls her broom apart and a blade comes out of the wood. She swiftly turns around with one blade slicing across his neck. They were all startled by her fast movement as the knight held his bleeding neck and stumbled backward. Then the knights held up with swords and were on guard as the injured one fell onto the ground and died from severe bleeding.

"W-What?!"

The maid's face was emotionless and pale, still like a doll and no expression at all. She was just dead and stared at them with a straight face. "I told you that you can't kill me" She lets go of the wooden broom part and holds up her steel blade.

"This is the end," She said and prepared for the attack.

SWOOP WOOSH

Before the knights could even attack, a rope was thrown around their necks from above and suddenly they went flying up by the neck. Their swords were dropped and the others that didn't get the rope were attacked by other maids. It was a fight alright but the knights were no match for the highly-trained maids with great agility and brains. They knew all their combat and counter every single time and soon killed them in cold blood.

"... What? This was my moment!" She complained and stomped her feet in anguish.

"With that weapon, I don't think you'll make it out alive" Her co-worker teased and threw another and proper weapon at her. "You don't even use a katana. You're a sniper"

"Sigh." She drops her broom blade and holds her long-range weapon. "Where are the others?"

"Well, Diana and Athanasia should be gone by now. Anastacius is still nowhere to be found. The other team should be holding off the other side but Lily suddenly vanished."

"... Ok, whatever. We should go help the others then" The sniper checks the bullet and reloads her gun.

"Let's roll, ladies!~" They all squealed and whistled in celebration at their own work.

"WHOO! LET'S MURDER SOME MORE!~"

***

"... Where is it?" Lily mumbles as she goes through the library, taking books off the shelves and throwing them. "No, where is it??" She questioned in distress while going through each row.

"Ah!" She finds the book and puts it in her poach that also contains other valuables. "Sigh. If only I could save all of them" She whispered with a dull voice and left the library.

BOOM

Another explosion echoes in the hallway from outside, making another mini-earthquake. Lily was shocked by it and began walking to the direction of the noise until a noise of multiple high-pitched screams suddenly disrupted her from afar in another direction. She turned her head to the scream with a concerning face.

"What the hell are they doing?" She walks ahead, ignoring the screams of her excited co-workers. Then she stopped and looked in the distance, a few knights up ahead roaming the halls.

She was in the moonlight outside where she was visible. She took small and quiet steps to hide in the darkness, behind the pillar while keeping an eye on them. She knew that they would find her eventually but she still tried to hide. Then they noticed her and one of them shouted to get the rest's attention. "Hey, you there!"

"Tsk" She gets irritated and runs off in the opposite direction. They begin chasing her down with their swords in their hands. Lily could easily escape and slip off without leaving a single trace but this time she was at a disadvantage. She was wearing a poach full of heavy stuff that held her back but still, she ran.

Then she staggers around the corner swiftly and immediately senses a presence ahead. Though she couldn't reach for her darts, hidden in her waist, in time and bumps into a tough build body. She stumbled backward and caught her balance while covering her nose. She pretends to be hurt by bending over and putting her head down as her hand reaches toward the pouch.

"... Sniff..." She mumbles while acting.

"Lily?" A male voice calls out to her and she flinches. Her hand stopped moving and she was stunned by the familiar voice.

She lifts her chin and looks at the man directly in the eyes in disbelief. "Felix?" She gasped and the knights chasing her finally caught up.

"Stop running" One of them grabbed her wrist and she sneered at him.

"Hey stop. She's innocent" Felix gets in between and makes the man let go of her. "His Majesty said to spare the maids"

"If possible" The knight corrects him and they glared at each other. "But since you're his right-hand man then we won't kill her. Let us escort her"

"No need. I will do that" Felix said and Lily sighed out of relief.

She didn't want to reveal herself in front of Felix whom she thought was valuable to her. Although she was warned not to be fond of him constantly, their friendship only made them bond even more. She actually cared about him but is guilty of using him especially when she taught her co-workers' all the knights' weak-point and moves.

"As you wish, we'll continue searching for the Duchess and Anastasia" The knights bow and leave them. Lily was startled to hear them mention Diana and Athanasia, soon realizing it was their mission.

"... What's going on?" Lily asked and Felix pressed his lips together anxiously.

"I can't explain but we should go"

"But why are you guys attacking us?" Lily was trembling and her expression darkened in terror. "... The family was living peacefully in this empire and are even allies. Why are you guys killing us?" She frowned and he avoided her gaze, unable to answer.

"I don't know..." He lets his head down in shame. "I'm sorry"

Lily looks sullen at him while he is facing away. She was thinking of ways to guilt him into revealing the truth or a weak spot but it made her feel bad too. She was disgusted with herself using a friend whom she cared about to get the truth. Though their morals are gone after all.

"They were a happy family together..." She said. "But now it's over..." She whispered.

BANG

Another explosion was heard followed by a cluster of screams. They both turned to the direction of the noises with the same expression.

"The others!" Lily shouts and runs toward the noise but Felix holds her back.

"No stop! It's too dangerous!"

She tries to yank it off but his grip is too strong for her. She scowled at him in irritation but he still keeps a serious face. "But it could be them!" She lied.

"Even so, it's too dangerous for you to go!"

"I don't care! I made an oath to protect and care for her to the Duke!" She placed her hand over her heart with a determined face. "Even if it costs my life, I don't care. She is the most important person in this family and the future!"
"..." Felix was speechless and became lost at words.

"Please, Felix." She begs in hopes that he'll go along but if not then she'll have to use force on him and leave him behind.

".... ok" He agreed and she became relieved at his response. "Let's go"

(Get prepared because I am. Lolol)

The whole place is in an uproar with many booty traps being set off by knights and maids just slaughtering them like cows. However, none of them dared to intimidate the emperor as he walked freely into the huge mansion with his aura menaced and his sword in his hand. The maids were warned not to be near the emperor and avoid attacking them, that was a special request from Anastacius himself and they all obeyed. Everyone knew how strong the emperor was and not just anyone can go against him. What they can only do is lure his knights away from him with distractions that would separate them. Hence, Claude was all alone in the empty halls with a bunch of screams echoing everywhere.

"How annoying" He mumbles and follows the trail of black mana just floating around. The closer he got to the source, the more it antagonized him as he looked at the door that was oozing a swarm of black magic out of the cracks.

He had finally found him.

The door bursts open as Claude steps inside with a dirty look, glaring at the only person inside the main hall that only made his aura even more intense. Anastacius' back was facing him but he didn't seem afraid nor even flinched at him barging him. He also had a sword in his hand and he was gazing at the stars out the window with a soft grin. Even when he was about to fight his own brother, he was still calm and pleased at the view.

"... You found me" He turns around and faces Claude with his real face. Blonde hair and jeweled eyes filled with delight but also sorrow. "It's been a while, brother"

"You dare to appear in front of me with that face" Claude becomes even more furious as his strong mana makes up his aura.

Anastacius wasn't intimidated by his blazing presence or his murderous intention. His black magic and curse were surrounding him and spreading out rapidly. Then it goes into conflict with Claude's and their mana were already fighting each other.

"How long did it take you to realize it?"

"The moment I saw it contaminating everything"

"Why didn't you kill me right after?" He takes a step toward him and Claude gives him another intense glare but Anastacius still keeps his grin. "Was it because you hesitate or... you didn't want to?"

"I killed you before and I will do it again. You are an eye-sore"

"You and your insults, Claude"

"Shut up, Anastacius" Claude does the first move of attacking him with his mana but Anastacius blocks it.

"... Already attacking me?" He sighed and held up his sword. "I will die anyway so let's just fight. But before I return your-"

CLANK

Claude strikes another magic attack upon him and he blocks it once again. "Shut your mouth. You will not talk your way out of this"

"Actually I wanted you to know something," Anastacius said. "You're still my brother right?"

CRASH

"Silence!" Claude was pissed at him speaking and not attacking him back.

"Claude..." Anastacius sighs and his black magic oozes out again. "Why are you doing this?"

SLASH

Anastacius finally strikes with his sword and Claude blocks it with his. They were pushing their swords against each other and face to face. It was a very intense and dangerous battle with their mana going crazy but they keep their same expressions.

"Why do you have the need to kill me?" Anastacius questioned but Claude kept his angry face, not opening his mouth. "You have the throne, a woman, and even a daughter. Hell, you even took my first life"

"That's because you tried to take mine first!"

"Makes sense"

Claude twists his wrist and throws his sword off of his. Tries to stab him only for it to get counter by his sword.

"But you have the life that I had before but even better." Anastacius grins. "I must admit I was a terrible brother back then"

"Shut up before I cut off your tongue!" Claude whips his sword across his face but Anastacius leans back, missing the blade by a centimeter.

"I had everything and I was greedy" Anastacius continues talking which only infuriated Claude even more as they continued slashing swords. "Even though I was the favorite and the crown prince. You were more talented and stronger than I was and you still are" He chuckles and Claude aggressively strikes which made Anastacius go back a bit. "I was envious of you and thought that black magic would make me stronger but it only poisoned me."

"Die!" Claude does multiple slashes while inflicting magical attacks on him but Anastacius barely blocks them and managed to make it out alive. With one deep breath, he prepares to tell him something that he never thought he would ever say.

"I actually never hated you, Claude. I was only jealous because you were so great. All those years and I'm finally thinking of you as my younger brother."

"Pathetic!" Claude holds up his sword and hits Anastacius with all his might. Anastacius was prepared for the strike and grabbed onto his sword tightly as Claude swiftly attacked him.

CLASH

The sound of the impact was loud and screeching that could be heard everywhere in the mansion. Anastacius' sword breaks as he falls onto the floor. The moment Claude's sword goes through, it also slices through Anastacius' chest during the fall. He covers his wound with his arm, knowing that it was his last day living here. Bleeding and he spits out blood while facing Claude.

"Any last words?"

"May I make a special wish?"

"Go ahead, you're going to die permanently this time" Claude holds the sword to his face, and Anastacius grins which made him confused. "You still have the nerve to smile at a time like this? You changed"

"Wow. You noticed that just now?" Anastacius wanted to laugh but it would only cause him to hurt even more. "I have a family. A wife and a daughter whom I love very much"

"Love?"

"Yes, it's the most beautiful and precious feeling in the world. That's why I'm happy" Anastacius looks at him. It was getting harder to breathe and the blood wouldn't stop coming out of his chest. Claude lets his sword down and stares at him in astonishment at the surprising facts he was hearing from his brother that doesn't love. How was it possible for the once-cruel and heartless murderous past tyrant to care for someone else and even love them? How could he find his true happiness?

"... Lies. There's no way"

"Except that it's true." He wheezed. "You're probably thinking that I'm weak and stupid to believe such a thing but I don't regret it. And so I just needed my family to be happy. It wasn't the throne, wealth, or even power. It was just... my family" He gave Claude one final look before closing his eyes and accepting his own death.

"That's why I only wish for their safety and well-being. Take care of them in my place, Claude"

"...." Claude was speechless at his wish. He didn't want to believe it but Anastacius was very serious when telling his wish. Claude grits his teeth and lifts up his sword. "What if I killed your wife and child in exchange for your life huh? Would you agree to that?"

Claude glared at him menacing and Anastacius smiles wistfully.

"A life without them is crueler and worse than death itself" He exclaimed sincerely.

He gaped at him in shock at his answer. Caring for someone else's life rather than his own? It really proved how much Anastacius had changed over time. Furious and confused with his answer, Claude raised his sword with one hand as he prepared to end his life. Anastacius laid on the ground and closed his eyes, getting ready for his death.

"This is the end..." He said.

Claude hurls his sword toward Anastacius and a loud bang could be heard.

BANG SLASH CLANK

Someone jumps in and blocks his attack and even pushes him back.

"Huff. Huff."

The blades touching were sharp and screeching. Claude was a few feet apart from Anastacius and they were both in shock, gaping at the obstacle that stood in between them. Claude drops his sword as he stares at the person that was fiercely glaring back at him. Two separate blades in each hand but pointing at him. Her blonde hair tied up messy but still wavy and lustful, not a single wrinkle on her face nor a scar. Soft and smooth skin. Pink dazzling eyes that were enchanting to anyone.

BLINK

The emperor's curse breaks as all of his memories return in a split of a second. He gazed at her more heartedly as he became lost at words. She was still beautiful and lovely in his eyes, the same face yet a bit different because of her outfit. However, he still looks at her as if she was the same person from behind. And so, all the feelings returned to him as he gets excited in his heart that she's standing right in front of him. He wished it was a dream but at the same time, he didn't because she was alive either way. 

"Don't touch him..." She speaks and he blinks at her in astonishment.

"Diana?" Claude couldn't believe it except that he did and thought he was happy until Anastacius spoke up.

"The hell are you doing here?" He asked his wife rudely and Diana's vein popped as she grits her teeth.

"Saving you! What do you think!?" She yelled but still kept her attention at the frozen emperor.

"... More like suiciding, you can't even go against me. What makes you think you can fight him?"

Diana turned her head and gave him a grimacing face that made Anastacius shut his mouth despite already dying on the ground. Then she turned back to Claude who reached out to touch her but she smacked it off.

"How?" He asked and Diana's expression darkened. "Why are you with him?"

".... It's just the way it is, Claude" She frowned. "This is my life"

"Impossible" Claude's heart that was once fluttering with delight to see her return is now shattering apart to see her with his brother. He felt betrayed and even worse than before. He was mad and sad but also relieved. It was all confusing to him.

"... I don't want to fight you"

"Neither do I. Now move aside" Claude picks up his sword and walks closer but Diana still stands in his way. "I said move or else you'll get hurt"

"No. Killing won't solve anything" She puts her guard up along with her blades. "I won't let you kill him"

"You can try" Claude tries to grab her wrist so he can pull her aside but instead she smoothly counters and twists his wrist instead before throwing him back. He was surprised that she managed to counter at a great strength and speed. "Are you really going to do this? For him?"

"... Yes" She responded and he gets another heartbreak again by her words. She drops her weapons and looks at him in the eyes. 

"I'm sorry" She lets her guard down and he was bewildered by her sudden action. Then she breathed deeply and raised her hand. The moment she released, she bent her wrist down and the windows broke.

*Animal noise and window breaking*

The various species of forest animals came bursting in from the glass and aimed for Claude. He was unprepared for the swarm of wild forest animals attacking him and tried to use his mana to slaughter them all. But he couldn't. Diana was within the area and if he used the powerful spell then Diana will get wiped out in the process. He didn't want that and just stuck with his sword and other spells.

Then the magical beast that nearly matched Claude's strength came. Raven.

'Master!' He let out a loud roar and Claude was startled by the beast. Raven was at a match with Claude regarding their mana. Every time Claude inflicts an attack spell on the animal or him, Raven easily deflects it with ease but he had a very limited capacity compared to him. After all, he is a beast. Not a human.

'Run! Athanasia is in the garden so hurry!'

Diana thanks the fellow beast and goes over to Anastacius. "Idiot!" She scolds him and places her hand over his wound while putting his arm around her neck.

"... you're the idi-"

SMACK

"No time to joke and let's go!" She hits him in the head and lifts him off the ground. "I can stop the bleeding but not close the wound." She tried to use her magic to heal him but he takes her hand and pushes it off.

"No, let's just go" He demands and she furrowed her eyebrows at him.

"But you're hurt! Let me-"

SWISH

He transported him and her to the garden where Athanasia was passed out on the ground. She was alone with them, no maids to guard her or anyone in sight. She was just in the bed of flowers, laying and sleeping through the whole mess. Anastacius didn't have time to think about it and coughed out even more blood as he collapsed on his knee. The pain was too much and his wound got worse just from using a simple spell. However, the thing was. He could only use black magic.

"No!" She sits on the ground as he laid down. He glanced over to Athanasia that was still in a coma due to the large intake of mana. Then back to Diana whose face was full of tears. She placed her hand over his wound and once again tried to heal it but Anastacius grabbed her wrist while shaking his head.

"Don't. There's no point"

"But I have to try!" She cried and tried to use her magic on him. However, she gets shocked by doing so as the black aura begins to reveal itself to the naked eye. She knew there was no way to save him anymore and her tears continue to flow out of her eyes as she gaped at him.

"... Are you crying?" He covered his mouth and she laid his head on her thighs. "You'll get dirty"

"I don't care" She bit her lips hard as she looked at him sadly. His mouth is full of blood and his chest bleeding out but she also senses his black curse consuming his body and destroying it too. "Why did you do it?"

"... Because I had to"

"No, you didn't" her lips quivering and her head shaking in agony as he stared at her with loving eyes even though he was dying. "You could've lived"

"No I can't" His lungs were heavy and his stomach moving in and out, struggling to breathe. "If I didn't, then she would've been the one"

"... But why did you give her your mana? You know that your black magic will consume you and eventually...." She stopped speaking and swallowed in her words, refusing to say what was going to happen to him.

".... hahaha" He laughed but she still sobs in frustration. "Are you sad?"

"Why wouldn't I be?" Her tears were dripping onto his face and he looked at her sorrowfully. "After everything we did together..."

"This is the first time someone actually cried for me. Usually, people will be delighted about my death but you're actually sad" He said. "That just makes me feel... happy"

"... Don't say that" She wipes her tears to get a clear look of him but her vision just gets blurry within seconds.

His body begins to deteriorate as his face becomes even paler. The black mana began to surround his body and Diana felt it flowing into her system. But she didn't care and chose to stay with him as he died.

"...... I love you" She said one last time to him and held his hand closed to her face. They stared at each other's eyes for a long time despite all the chaos happening within the mansion.

"I love you too" Anastacius turned over to Athanasia who was still asleep. "... But I didn't get the chance to tell her" He begins to get dizzy as his breathing gets weaker and harder.

"Don't worry, she already knows..." Diana smiled softly at him and he grinned.

"Goodbye," He closed his eyes as the lights came toward him. He was ready to leave.

His body gets eaten by the dark magic as it absorbs and covers him. Diana placed her hand on the head of the body as the black magic continued to break down his body. With one exhale, a light comes from her hand and spreads all over the black mist and it turns into a cloud of glittering magic. The cloud swirls around mixing with the black magic as it floats up into the air above Diana then it disperses and the particles rain on her as she gets down on all fours.

"Bahhhhh!"

She lets out a loud cry as she mourns over the death of her husband. Her heart was in tremendous pain and her mind a mess. He was gone from her life.

Anastacius is officially dead.

***

..

-

..

...

....

.

.-.

.

Raven stops using his magic because he was already at his limit but also gets overwhelmed by the feeling of sadness. The animals attacking Claude also get the same feeling and immediately stop hurting Claude. The birds flew up in the air in a circle while screeching very loudly. The mammals ran around the room crazily and even hurled their own bodies against the walls while crying. Raven howled loudly and jumped out the window where he saw Diana crying in the garden while hugging Athanasia. Instantly, he knew the reason why and went to comfort her but failed as she looked at him depressingly.

Claude was baffled by the animals' behavior but didn't have time to deal with it and walked to the window that showed the garden.

Lily collapsed on the ground from afar as she grabbed the dirt floor with her bare hands in anguish and disappointment. Felix was confused and crouched down by her side to comfort her. Lily was disappointed and upset about herself but she wasn't in much pain as Diana was.

Diana had experienced the feeling of losing someone precious to her but not as much as losing a lover. She truly did love him and he loved her. They were happy together as a family. It may have seemed like the perfect life but they did have some conflicts. Though it never ruined their lives, it only made it better as they learn more about each other.

".... I have failed..." A teardrop slips from Lily's eye as she breathes heavily. She stood up and ran over to Diana. But her feet stopped as her body froze in place, stunned by the sudden appearance of another person. She just stared at the scene in shame because she can't do anything.

RUSTLE

The sound of a footstep against the ground startles Diana as Raven jumps up and growls at the intruder. Diana's tears were falling like a stream but it suddenly stopped as soon as she heard him coming. Her face dried up and stiffened as she slowly controlled her emotion again. She has taken the responsibility of taking care of Athanasia entirely. Diana is a single parent now.

"I'm getting the feeling that he's already gone, is he not?" Claude said coldly, not being sensitive about his brother's death but it did affect him just a bit. Though he didn't care overall, he was just satisfied that Anastacius was dead for good.

"..." Diana looks at her daughter softly with a frown. She calms Raven with just one hand gesture and he whines to her as he crawls by her side.

"Giving me the silent treatment?" Claude felt his heart pricked. "Doesn't matter anyway. You'll come with me"

"Says who?" Diana turned her head and gave him the dirty look. Claude showed an indifferent expression and just by the look in the eyes. Diana had already found out the answer. "..... Even so, I won't"

"You don't have much of a choice, Diana," He said and she flinched. "Especially with your daughter's health deteriorating. Would you rather let her live in pain or luxury?"

"You say luxury like it'll intrigue me. There has to be a catch" Diana hugs Athanasia tightly while Raven whimpers. She was thinking. Not just about the decision. But also about Anastacius' recent death. Why wouldn't she? But going to his brother right after was just wrong. However, in a way, she's not going into his arms but just with him as a guest. Everything she now does is for Athanasia's sake because that is also Anastacius' wish.

For her to grow and live a long and happy life.

"There's no-"

"Fine" Diana answered quickly and Claude was puzzled. She stood up and carried Athanasia in her arms as Raven stayed by her side. "I'll go but only if you guaranteed that she'll stay safe and well taken care of within the palace"

"...." Claude squinted his eyes at the unconscious blonde girl in her arms that looked like Diana. He was displeased but also a bit joyed that Diana is alive and will be with him. "... As you wish" He agreed to the terms.

Lily slowly steps into the scene dispirited and blue like a corpse. Felix runs up to Claude but his feet planted to the ground as soon as he sees Diana. His theory was right and he was supposed to be excited to see her alive but instead, he just gawked at her in disbelief. She no longer looks like the cheery and joyful person that many people remembered. No, she was dejected and doleful due to the tragedy. Felix gets overwhelmed by his guilt of not stopping Claude in time, feeling that it was his fault that it all became like this.

"... Lily" Diana speaks to her weakly and Lily immediately gets down on one knee with his fist touching the ground. Felix and Claude were baffled by Lily's action and soldiery personality when they thought she was just a maid.

"Yes, My Lady?" Lily still talked strongly though she was also depressed by his death.

".... Gather everyone and burn everything" Diana said with a strict face, her eyes were dead and dull. Lily lifted her chin in shock at her command and just gazed at her.

"... what?"

"Gather everyone and burn everything. Reduce to ashes and make sure there's not a single trace left in here" Diana's expression was emotionless and straight, she held no concern nor care about everything her family built in their happy times. Though those times were over and so it didn't matter to her anymore. Athanasia is the only one that she cares about.

".... Yes"

Diana walked past her. "Once you're done, you guys are freed to go. However, if you wish to stay with me, then I'll be waiting in the palace" Diana speaks like a boss. But not the fun and nice boss that everyone used to know. She was stern and cold that made Lily shudder at the tone of her voice. "You may do it now"

"Yes..." Lily stands up.

Claude showed no care about her change of persona but also a little alarmed by her order. Burning everything of their past was similar to what he did when she left the world. He was fascinated by the new Diana and began to wonder what will happen when they start to live together like before but now with a child and another family of his.

"Felix, stay behind and gather the rest of the knights. Then come back and report to me quickly"

"Yes, Your Majesty" Felix nods and stays behind with Lily as the two go ahead.

Claude followed her from behind as Diana held Athanasia closed to her, leaning her cheek against her hair. His heart throbs at the sight of Diana caring for her daughter because it really showed how she would choose her over everything like before. Raven would peek a glance and bare his teeth at the cold emperor while sticking close to Diana. When it becomes too quiet, Claude clicks his tongue in irritation and opens his mouth.

"... Di-"

"Just know this, Your Majesty" Diana interrupts him and turns to face him. "I will be in the palace not as a concubine, a lover, nor a refugee. I will be there as a guest or a family member." Diana tells him and he nods, not caring as long as she stays by his side. "But always remember this. Athanasia is still the most important person in my life. Keep her safe and happy even when I'm not with her. She is still my daughter..." Diana said dully and he nods to the terms.

"And also... his daughter"

He widens his eyes in shock at her statement when she mentions that Athanasia is the daughter of Anastacius. Diana should be very well aware that she is also Claude's daughter but it seemed so strange to him to make her think that. So a lot of ideas came into his mind as she continued walking away to the front.

He looked at her back with glum eyes while feeling mad with his blood boiling to his head. He grits his teeth in anguish as he forms a tight fist in his hand.

'Diana... you've been brainwashed' He thought and then another theory came into his mind. '... do you even remember us?'

'.... I will fix you and make you come back to me again....' he thought with ambition while dazing at her. 'You're not allowed to leave me again'

End of Chapter 33

AN: Hahahahaahhaahhaa! Yesssssss! YOOO! I've been waiting for this moment!!

|Word Count: 9098|

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.9K 299 19
๐ŸŒธin the side story of lovely princess novel ๐ŸŒธ a new character was introduced we get introduced to the first princess Claude first daughter before...
85.5K 3.1K 41
A wmmap fanfic . What if Athanasia wasn't the only royal child ? What if another princess was born before her to the Emperor and Empress ? She who w...
13.7K 421 8
LOVELY PRINCESS NOVEL AU. The abandoned and neglected princess of the obelia empire Athanasia de alger obelia who only want the love of her father, b...
187K 5.9K 39
Everyone thought the first princess died on the guillotine. But in fact, she fooled them all. Now living happily with her husband and three kids, wha...