Lemon Cake

Por AmethystAmber87

#PartyBoss isn't a term Tulip Carpenter coined herself but she wears it with pride. Her life is a party, she'... Más

Cast
Moodboard
Copyright
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Ten Years and Ten Months Ago
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Ten Years and Ten Months Ago
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Ten Years and Ten Months Ago
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Ten Years and Ten Months Ago
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Ten Years and Ten Months Ago
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Ten Years and Nine Months Ago
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Ten Years and Eight Months Ago
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty-Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Epilogue
Spinoff

Chapter Thirteen

4.4K 407 68
Por AmethystAmber87

Sunday evenings were for binging.  Monday through Saturday, Tulip didn't have much downtime. If she wasn't at work, she was at home cultivating ideas and organizing themes to wow her clients. Giving them the things they didn't know they wanted was her specialty. Being that productive left very little time to stay consistent with every series, movie, or special that premiered. So, she set aside Sunday to partake in a complete marathon of television.

Neisha cosigned the notion since she didn't have Netflix but was a Hulu subscriber. Unfortunately, they weren't going to be able to watch the show they had planned on devouring. Tulip let her sight lingered on Sydney sitting on the couch fresh from the shower with her voluminous 'fro framing her face like a halo as she sang along with the theme of the Proud Family.

"No, Insecure, right?" Neisha asked to be certain as she pushed down the plastic bag so the takeout containers were more accessible.

Tulip delicately sat three glasses on the island with a shake of her head, "I finally got her to speak more English and the last thing I want her asking is 'what is sex'?" She lowered her voice on the three-letter word. "But since we're on the subject." She paused letting the corner of her mouth tick up slyly.

"What's wrong with your face?" Neisha broke apart a cornbread muffin. "Are you having a stroke?"

"No!" She playfully slapped Neisha's shoulder. "Stop playing. You know what I'm talking about."

Neisha shook her head. She swallowed the hot water cornbread before continuing, "I don't do innuendos or hints. What are you implying, Carpenter?"

"You and Lachlan were chumming all morning." She closed the fridge door with her hip since her hands were filled with an ice bucket and pitcher of tea. "Drinking from his straw, that's some intimate shit. So, ya'll are finally more than friends."

"Sorry to break it to you but you ain't cupid, boo." Neisha swiped one of the cups after Tulip filled it was the chilled brew. "It wasn't that deep. He said the milkshake was good. I was curious so he let me try it." She shrugged while taking a long sip. "Chill."

Tulip rolled her eyes, "Keep lying to yourself."

Her phone chirped and she peeked over the ice bucket to see who it was. She sighed to herself then flipped the device over.

"Who was that."

"Austin." She leaned against the counter with her head hanging lowly. "I'm going to have to cut him loose."

"Why?"

Tulip placed her eyes on Sydney still glued to the cartoon. "My priorities have changed. I don't have the time for escapades." She grabbed two cubes of ice with tongs and dropped them into a glass. "He wants to swing by. I can't have him here. Nope." She shook her head adamantly.

"Why not." Neisha balled up the plastic bag finally emptying off all the containers.

"I just—" Tulip paused with her hand on her hip trying to compose her emotions and worries into words that can be conveyed. "She's already lost someone important. I don't want to introduce someone in her life that's not sticking around for the long haul."

"And he ain't a contender?"

Tulip chuckled as she deposited the pitcher back in the fridge. She knew Neisha's words weren't a joke but it was funny to her. She wasn't looking for a long term love. Not before Sydney showed up and definitely not right now. Her primary goal was getting Sydney to know her more, getting more comfortable around her so she'd call her something other than Ms. Tulip.

She cringed at the thought of it. She hated that. She wasn't expecting her to call her mom but Ms. Tulip was too formal and gnawed at her nerves like nails scratching the chalkboard.

Tulip came back to the island with three plates, "We're just 'fun buddies'." She usually called it 'fuck buddies,' but she really was trying to cut back on cursing around the youngster. It wasn't easy, though. "We both agreed to that. Them's the terms."

"And how long has it been since ya'll have fun." Neisha air-quoted.

"Two weeks."

"Two weeks." Neisha's face lit aglow with surprise. "That's a drought for you."

"Hey," She pointed her middle-finger at her, it was a habit she learned from her granny that was embedded in her psyche before the age of eleven. "Don't shame me. I have a healthy drive that needs attending to." She shrugged thinking of her new responsibility. "Which means it's just going to be me and Craig."

Neisha stopped lifting the top from the food trays to gag. "Can you talk about your..." She lowered her voice. "...vibrator like a normal person and not name it. Plus, why Craig."

Tulip didn't know what was so strange with naming her vibrator, if not what name she was going to moan out when she came. Although she probably should update the moniker to Austin, now.

Tulip shrugged with no regrets, "I watched Friday, too many times and developed a crush."

They both chuckled. Once their laughter subsided Tulip started scooping portions of food on the plates; some mustard greens, a helping of creamy oven-baked macaroni and cheese, some black-eyed peas, two pieces of heavenly battered-golden brown fried chicken and a cornbread muffin.

"Finished." She drew back her hand and reveled at the food as if she spent hours in the kitchen shuffling pots and pans and not just picking entrees off a paper menu. She was not Mattie's Soul Food Kitchen but she did put together a hearty meal.

"I'll give you a night," Neisha said as Tulip came back to the counter with utensils.

"What?" She blinked at Neisha confused about what she was talking about. "A night for what?"

Neisha's coal-black eyes dropped the cell phone on the counter, "With Austin. I'll watch Syd."

"She doesn't like being called that."

"I'll watch Sydney for four hours." She read the time on the microwave. "Go have all the fun you want but be back by eight. Cool?"

"No." Tulip quickly shook her head disturbing her braids in a top knot. "Here is where I need to be."  She placed a fork on each plate and Sydney's laughter caught her attention. It hadn't even been a full week, yet. "I can't leave her. Not right, now."

"She'll be fine. We're going to watch some TV and we'll be here when you get back." She lifted two of the plates from the island. "It's just one night. Plus, I haven't seen True Jackson, VP in years. Give me some time to get to know my niece without you lurking."

"I don't lurk." Tulip disagreed.

"You lurk." Neisha insisted with a smirk. "Look, this is a one time offer 'cause I'm booked every Sunday this summer."

Tulip narrowed her eyes, "Book with what."

"You don't need to know all that."

"Bitch, elaborate."

Neisha laughed, placing the plates back on the counter. "Didn't you make a deal with good to stop your bitches and whatnot."

"God knows my soul." Tulip gently placed her hand on her chest. "Pure as a lamb."

"BS." Neisha knew her friend like the back of her hand there was no way she'd be able to stop swearing without divine intervention. "Lach and I made plans. So—"

Before Niesha could finish, Tulip eager wrapped her arms around jumping jubilantly with squeals of glee.

"I'm so happy for you. Niesh." She loosened her grip but still had her in an embrace. "You deserve love. Fu...screw what's his name. You're a prize."

Niesha's hands were full so gifted her with a bright smile. "So, do you." 

"Okay. I'll take your offer." She released her and securely grabbed the three glasses, "But we're eating together."

Do you think Tulip should take Neisha's offer?

How do you think Sydney will be with Neisha?

Is Tulip right for not wanting to bring Austin in Sydney's life?

Why do you think Neisha is being secretive about her relationship?

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

1.5K 6 26
Doctorate- ✅ Great paying job- ✅ Body goals- ✅ Friends- ✅ Reunite with biological family ❌ Boyfriend- To be determined... Liliana Harris just moved b...
4K 219 31
Growing up in a strict religious household, Aaliyah Jackson knew she would have a rude awakening on her 18th birthday. Knowing so, she got job, two...
33.7K 2K 39
Two personalities from different worlds. Can the troubled pasts that brought them to the same place bring them LOVE? Can love endure their troubled p...
4.5K 358 25
Divine Jackson is driven. She's always had people to take care of, and that list barely included herself. So, it was hard making any room for a man...