The Queen

By CDRossBooks

You've read it as a Biblical tale of courage, now experience the beloved story of Esther as it springs to fre... More

Note From the Author
Preface / Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty-One

35 3 1
By CDRossBooks

Riding along the beach on horseback was the perfect way to end the day. It took Katherine no time at all to fall fast asleep. Though between Alexander's tossing and her own bad dreams, she didn't stay that way for long.

She trembled as she woke from her nightmare. It had happened again. The same as before. Yet one more puzzling piece was revealed. The man who wanted her dead was Henry. His face was as recognizable as any she knew.

But why? She knew she didn't trust him...and this dream seemed to be warning her, but of what? She glanced over at Alexander, but he wasn't there.

Raising herself upright, she scanned the suite till her eyes fell on him sitting by the fire. Head in his hands. She grabbed her robe and neared him.

"Can't sleep?" she pondered.

He glanced at her, "Oh, I'm sorry. Did I wake you?"

She shook her head, "No, I couldn't sleep either." Her gaze fell on the papers at his feet, she arched a brow, "What are you reading?"

He shook his head and picked up a page, "Just a police report." He handed it to her. She noticed the date. It was twelve years ago.

He shrugged his shoulders, "I suppose I shouldn't be reading it...but I never had before."

She slimmed over it. It was the report on the wreak he had with his brother. The report mentioned the brake lines having been cut.

She gasped, "The brakes?"

He nodded, "I always wondered why I wasn't able to stop that car...I guess now I know."

Her brow creased, "But doesn't that mean —"

"Someone tried to kill us? Probably...but there's no way to prove it." He handed her another page. It was the mechanic's report. He had concluded that the lines had been damaged when the car had slid over the embankment before it had overturned. He mentioned nothing about them being severed like the police had said.

"Could you question him? Maybe he was bribed to change the reports."

He nodded, "Yeah, I had thought of that, but he died two years ago."

She slumped down beside him, "I'm so sorry, Alex."

He shook his head, "It doesn't matter now. It's been too many years."

He tossed the papers down on the floor again and sighed as he leaned back in the chair. Eye's closed. Finally, he sat up straight and asked, "Did we ever do anything for Mark? He did warn you of the attempt on my life."

She shook her head, "No, I don't believe so." He clapped his hands together, "That's what I'll do. I'm sure there is something I can do for him. I'll talk to the Prime Minister in the morning."

* * * *

Alexander placed a book on the shelf and grabbed another. Sitting at his desk he began reading the second book. He had spent most of the day in his study.

A knock on the door told him the Prime Minister had arrived. Closing the book, he granted him entry. Henry bowed and sat in the seat the King had gestured to.

"Henry, what do you think should be done for a man if a King would like to show him honor?"

Henry grinned. Surely this was it. The King had finally realized how important he was.

With a dip of the head, he modestly began, "Well, Sire...for a man the King would like to honor, I would put him in the finest clothes, perhaps one of your royal robes reserved only for the most important occasions. Allow him to ride your personal horse and let him wear your crown. Tell one of your highest officials to lead the horse down the city square proclaiming that this is what the King does for those that please him."

Alexander grinned, "Well one thing I can say for you Henry is you think big."

"Oh thank you, your majesty."

"But my crown?" He arched his brow, "Is that really necessary?"

Henry nodded, "Well, how much do you want to honor him? Surely if he is worthy of honor this would be the greatest display of honor."

Alexander drummed his fingers together. Finally, he nodded, "Alright. Then hurry and do everything you've said for Mark, the guard at the gate. I wish to honor him for saving my life."

Henry's face dropped. His color twisted into three shades of green. He shook his head, "Uh, Mark...the guard?"

Alex nodded, "Yes, and be sure you don't forget anything you've said."

Henry stood, bowed, and turned to leave, "Yes...of course."

The King stopped him, "Oh, Henry?"

"Yes, sir?"

"I want you do lead the horse."

Henry's face grew grim and he forced himself to offer a nod as he said through gritted teeth, "As you wish."

* * * *

Henry huffed as he released the doorknob of the king's study.

He shut his eyes with force. That stupid fool. He's caused me trouble for the last time! I will make sure Mark is the very first one I kill...after that, the King will pay for the humiliation he's caused me.

 * * * *

The horse was saddled. The robe was draped over Mark's shoulders. Maxwell placed the crown on Mark's head and offered a smile, "This is quite an honor, Mark. The King trust you very much or he wouldn't allow you to wear this. No one but the King of Gardonia ever has."

Mark nodded, "I don't take this lightly. I am greatly humbled and honored by the gesture...but I'm not sure everyone agrees with the King's decision." He gazed passed Maxwell and nodded his head in Henry's direction.

Maxwell glanced over his shoulder and sighed, "I fear you may be correct in your assumption."

Mark rested a hand on Maxwell's shoulder, "He may not like me, but I don't think he'll try to do anything in public view. He needs their support."

Maxwell's eyes grew dark, "Yes...I suppose you're right. Though his desired actions will take place soon enough anyway."

"What do you mean?" Mark inquired with a raised brow.

"The King allowed him to sign a decree — every Christian is now considered an enemy of the throne. In a few months they will kill us all."

Mark shook his head in disbelief, "Surely you're wrong about that. The King trust you."

"I was there when they sighed it. Yes, he trusts me...but that doesn't change his fear of losing Katherine. Henry took great pain to convenience him that the Christians were responsible for the assignation attempt and that they would try to kill Katie too." Maxwell sighed.

"But he doesn't know that she is a Christian. Perhaps he will change it when she tells him."

Maxwell shook his head, "There is no way to change it. The royal signet sealed it — making it an unbreakable law. There is nothing anyone can do."

Mark shook his head, "We can't. But God can. You know that...we must pray that God will show a way for this law to be broken."

"What you're suggesting will take a miracle," Maxwell exclaimed with despair.

Mark smiled, "Nothing is impossible with God."

Henry entered the stables and scrunched his nose at the odor from the stalls. He glanced at the horses and muttered under his breath, "Such filthy animals."

Maxwell straightened his back and stood tall, "Are you ready Prime Minister?"

Henry turned to him with narrowed eyes, "Yes...I suppose." He took the reins and eyed Mark with disgust. It should be me wearing that crown. Not an idiot who believes in an imaginary being in the sky.

Mounting the horse, Mark nodded at Maxwell and raised his eyes to heaven. A gesture to remind him not to worry, that God was in control.

Henry glanced back over his shoulder as he led the horse out of the stable, "Make sure you enjoy this Mark. You won't enjoy our next visit together."

Mark straightened his shoulders, arched his back, and sat tall in the saddle. He didn't say a word out loud. But said a silent prayer in his heart for God to give them wisdom for what was coming.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6K 219 49
"To all those who were born with luxuries but living a cursed life...." - Kanishka Tyagi ( Writer) ~~❤️~~ " No J...
520K 15.3K 33
*******completed******* My life was great until she stole it from me. she stole my father. she stole my brothers. she stole my boyfriend. blood is...
2.3K 253 51
When the jealous pharaoh Hathset discovers a member of his harem conducting an illicit affair with a scribe he places a curse on them. Little does he...
37K 2.5K 31
Falling in love with Jesus was the best thing he'd ever done. And then he was gifted Bliss. - This is the story of a firefighter and a ballerina with...