The Queen

By CDRossBooks

You've read it as a Biblical tale of courage, now experience the beloved story of Esther as it springs to fre... More

Note From the Author
Preface / Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Epilogue

Chapter Six

29 4 1
By CDRossBooks

Rising from her bed the next morning, Katie stretched and wondered to the window. It was a beautiful fall day. The fog resting on the mountain top from the view of her window looked as though the mountain reached into the clouds.

She smiled and wondered if the king had such a view. Surely he did and yet she wondered if he ever took advantage of it. She would love nothing more than to sit on a balcony and enjoy the view with a cup of coffee, wrapped in a warm blanket.

A soft tap on her door caused her to turn just as a paper was slid under her door. It was the schedule of the day. This morning they would be meeting the press, followed by a day at the races and finally ending with the opening and tour of the new wing of the children's hospital.

Sighing, she took a deep breath. It would be an interesting day. She glanced down at the handwritten note at the bottom of the page:

Miss Katherine,

Please dress warmly. Today is quite chilly. Also, a hat would be appropriate at the races. Don't worry about a thing! You are doing great! If you need anything, I won't be far.

~ Maxwell

She was grateful that he was looking out for her. He was a kind man. She wondered if the King knew what a treasure he had in Maxwell's friendship. Loyally is hard to find and Maxwell wrote the book on loyally. He was completely devoted to the King. She admired that.

After she was dressed, she stepped out into the hall and stood there with the other contestants that were sizing each other up. She smiled as she saw Jackie across from her and greeted her, "Good morning, Jackie!"

She smiled, "Good morning!" Glancing down the hall she placed a finger over her lips, telling Katherine to be silent. Katherine glanced down the hall, wondering why.

Suddenly, she saw the reason. It was the King himself, walking down between the ladies standing on either side of the hall. "Good morning, ladies." Collectively they greeted him, "Good morning, Your Majesty."

As he passed by, each of them performed a deep curtsy. He kept walking forward until he reached Katherine. She curtsied deeply.

He paused for only a moment — just until she made eye contact with him and he gave her a soft smile. Then he continued on and disappeared around the corner.

Jackie rushed over to her and squeezed her arm, "Oh I'd say he fancies you, Katie!"

Katherine smiled, "You think so?" Jackie gave her a knowing look, "Trust me, dear. When a man looks at you, that way, he has more on his mind that wishing you good morning."

Maxwell appeared where the King had disappeared and clapped his hands for attention, "Good morning, ladies! Follow me to the press hall. You will each be selected to have a few moments alone with the press. Then we head to the races."

One by one they entered the room, and one by one they returned. The press never taking more than five minutes with each. Finally, it was Katherine's turn. Maxwell ushered her through the door and her pulse took a leap. He whispered, "Wear an invisible crown." She drew in a deep breath and smiled as she entered the press hall.

About a dozen photographers and another dozen reporters stood there. Looking bored and stiff. Once they caught eyes on her, however their demeanor suddenly changed and they appeared to her more like a pack of wolves ready to devour their lunch than a group of people ready to ask questions.

She smiled, nevertheless. One asked, "May we have your name?"

"I'm Katherine. But most people call me Katie." They chuckled, amused.

Another asked, "We have been told that the King asked you personally to join the competition. Is that true? And if so, why you? Isn't your previous occupation a — maid?"

She could feel they were looking for her to get angry with them. Instead, she straightened her shoulders and smiled again, causing her features to soften. "Yes, the King did ask through correspondent that I join the pageant, however, I have yet to meet him. I believe the King is very wise and saw that the people need a Queen that can understand them in a way he cannot. My previous occupation enabled me to see firsthand the needs of the people."

They seemed unarmed and pleased. As though they were unaccustomed to hearing someone say they believed the King was searching for a way to better understand his people.

"One last question. The law states that even a King cannot brake a law or erase it. Say the King finds or passes a law himself that he wishes to have removed. Though knowing the law, he cannot. What would you have him do?"

She searched within her heart for the answer and said a silent prayer.

Finally, she spoke, "The law is the law and it cannot be changed; however, I would encourage the King to write a new one — an amendment. A clause for the first law, that would allow him to invoke changes as he sees fit."

They seemed impressed and murmured among themselves. Finally, one spoke, "May I just say, on behalf of all of us — you gave the most knowledgeable and caring answers of any contestant we've heard today."

She thanked them and retreated out the door, where Maxwell was awaiting her. Beaming. "You did extremely well. The King and I were quite pleased."

She questioned, "The King and you? You were listening?"

He nodded, "We were in the other room, there is a small mic that let us hear the conversations. The King wanted to hear each of your responses, and he also wanted to make sure the press was not to forward. Hurry now, we have very little time to get you to the races."

* * * *

She felt as if she was in a whirlwind, it was as if she had barely blinked and the races were over and off they were again headed for Children's Hospital

Maxwell hadn't been around much, as far as she could see anyway. But he did pass her on the way to her limousine and slipped a note in her hand. Finally, alone, she opened it:

Miss Katherine,

The King is quite pleased with your performance today. He has had me make arrangements for you to stand beside him when he opens the new wing today. Though the two of you will still not be able to speak. He wanted the opportunity to allow the press to see you both together.

~ Maxwell

Stepping out of the vehicle she drew in a shaky breath. He wanted her to be beside him. That was sure to make waves with the rest of women and she wasn't at all sure that was a wise thing. She was already seen as a treat to most of them once they discovered that the King had asked for her personally.

A guard came and escorted her through the growing crowd that had gathered to see the King. Also, she assumed, to get a closer view of any potential Queen in their midst.

The King stood before a large red ribbon and beside him sat a small lad in a wheelchair with a pair of particularly grand golden scissors, nearly the same size as him, in his lap.

Katherine was ushered to the other side of the King. She smiled at the boy, who's chest was puffed up from sheer pride in being able to assist the King.

Alexander dropped his head in Katherine's direction and gave her half a smile. Pleased that she was beside him.

He addressed the crowd and press:

"Ladies and gentlemen, it is my great pleasure be here today to open to this new wing. It is my hope that it may it bring healing and comfort to any and all who enter its walls, though I sincerely hope there shan't be need for it."

Turning to the young boy, he asked, "Would you be willing to assist me, Tommy?"

Tommy grinned widely, displaying several missing teeth, "It would be my pleasure, Your Majesty!"

Together they each took a handle and cut the ribbon. A roar of applause was heard and the camera's flashed. A reporter asked if the King would pose for a photograph with Tommy and Katherine.

Turning to Katherine, he extended his hand for her. As she drew near, he carefully slid his left hand around her waist and the other hand on Tommy's shoulder.

Katherine's lungs stalled as she felt the warmth of his skin through the fabric of her dress. His touch was gentle, yet firm. However, as soon as the photograph was taken, his hand was withdrawn and the guard from earlier ushered her away.

A sadness coursed through her, she had hoped they might speak. Maxwell had said they wouldn't, but still, she had hoped they would. They had finally touched and yet never met. She sighed as she retreated back into her limousine. Was it always to be this way?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.1K 1.3K 25
Book four of the 1 Peter 4:8 series🦋♥️ - "And what of the name, Glory? You are known by all as Adelia." Adelia's lips curled to a refined smile. "Fo...
8.2K 426 21
This story picks up where One Night With The King: The New Empire left off. After Xerxes death Prince Benjamin must now assume the throne with his wi...
1.1M 28.3K 20
*Now available for purchase on amazon. If you would like to read the entire story you can find it there!* When Hadassah was a young girl she lost her...
949K 40.9K 33
Every girl, whether she is confident or not, at time of nikkah, become hesitated to say yes. The feeling that your sur name is going to change and yo...