𝐋𝐔𝐃𝐈𝐂𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐒. ᵒᵘᵗᵉʳ ᵇᵃ...

By MYDRIVERERA

━━━━━━ ❝ 𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐅𝐔𝐂𝐊 𝐈𝐒 𝐀 𝐏𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄, 𝐘𝐎𝐔 𝐆𝐔𝐘𝐒, 𝐋𝐈𝐊𝐄, 𝐃𝐑𝐔𝐆 𝐃𝐄𝐀𝐋𝐄𝐑𝐒... More

𝐈𝐍𝐓𝐑𝐎𝐃𝐔𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 01.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 02.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 03.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 04.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 05.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 06.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 07.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 08.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 09.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 10.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 11.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 12.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 13.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 14.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 15.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 16.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 17.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 18.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 19.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 20.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 21.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 22.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 23.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 24.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 25.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 26.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 27.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 29.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 30.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 31.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 32.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 33.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 34.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 35.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 36.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 37.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 38.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 39.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 40.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 41.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 42.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 43.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 44.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 45.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 46.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 47.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 48.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 49.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 50.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 51.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 52.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 53.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 54.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 55.
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 56.
𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄.
𝐚𝐮𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐫'𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐞
━━ 𝐒𝐄𝐐𝐔𝐄𝐋

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 28.

18.9K 766 1.1K
By MYDRIVERERA

━ 𝘄𝗶𝘁𝗵 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗮𝗶𝗻 𝗽𝗼𝘂𝗻𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗼𝗻 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗿𝗼𝗼𝗳𝘁𝗼𝗽.

    "𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐄𝐋 𝐇𝐈𝐋𝐋 𝐂𝐎𝐋𝐋𝐄𝐆𝐄," 𝐒𝐀𝐑𝐀𝐇 announced with a smile.

   Walking, I flattened down the light pink dress as hers flowed in front of me, the ends of it fluttering softly in the satin breeze, and my white heels clicking on the pavement of the sidewalk. I had never been so dressed up before. In fact— the only dresses I owned were sundresses, although I'd barely gone out in the City and they never got any wear. I've also never needed to go to a formal event, ever.

    As a homeschooler, I never had a homecoming, never went to birthday parties, and never even went to a school dance. I'd never had the opportunity to get dressed up and go to a pristine party full of guests that I didn't know, although I'd tried it many times in secret to see what it all felt like— putting makeup on alone in my room, getting ready to go absolutely nowhere. Sometimes I'd go into my mom's closet when my parents weren't home, just to see some of her clothes that she— I assumed— wore to events, and all of her trays of makeup.

    I'd always thought it was crazy; my parents were "famous", yet, I'd never even been to a single event in all my life. My parents were celebrities, but yet I don't even own a gown, or an expensive purse, or a diamond bracelet with matching diamond earrings.

    "Have you guys ever been to a college before?" She let out a small laugh as she stopped, joining me at my hip before walking with us in a line. I assumed she noticed our gazes.

     John B and I were staring at the beautifully architecture of the building next to us in awe.

    "I have never been to a college before, no," John B answered her with his bottom lip popped out.

    "Me neither," my lips formed into a tight line.

    "Well that's a gap in your training," she laughed in response. "How do you like it?" Her cheeks creased with an excited smile.

    I looked to John B as he spoke. "So far so good," he chuckled lowly.

    "So, my dad went here," She began to explain, looking away from us and up towards the huge college. "And then his dad went here, and then his dad's dad went here," she said with a certain tone, as if she were annoyed by it.

    "That's pretty rough," John B sighed.

    I nudged my arm into his stomach lightly.

    "Yeah I know," she giggled, "He would have an absolute aneurysm if I didn't go here, which is— kind of annoying," she sighed, "but, what can you do."

    I wondered what it was like, having your life planned out like that.

    "What about you guys?" She turned her head to us beside her.

    "Uh..." John B searched for the right words, gripping onto the straps of his backpack, "college has never really been on my radar," he said casually, and with a small shrug. I thought about how he lived by himself, and the fact that he wouldn't necessarily be able to pay for college on his own.

    "What about you, Tina," Sarah nudged me with her elbow.

    I giggled at the undercover name, but felt my stomach tighten, "I don't really know," I said honestly, while popping out my bottom lip as well, "guess I'll have to see when I go back to New York,"

    John B cleared his throat quietly.

    "Yeah— so, when are you going back?" She suddenly asked me, her voice soft and her eyebrows only a tad bit narrowed.

    "After this school year," I said with a small smile, looking over at her.

    A wide grin took over her lips, "Oh cool," she beamed.

    "Yeah," I nodded, teeth biting down on my bottom lip slightly.

    "So tell us about your parents, Tina," John B looked down at me with a small grin, his side bumping into mine.

    "What do you wanna know?" I asked both of them, trying to hide the nerves in my stomach with a small laugh.

    "You've never mentioned anything about them," John B shrugged nonchalantly, "so, what are they like?"

    I bit the inside of my cheek, thinking of something that sounded believable as I stared down at my feet walking, "they're always working," I said with a calm tone, "really busy people."

    "Interesting," Sarah nodded with a light smile.

    "Not really," I chuckled softly, "my dad was actually born here, I think. On the island."

    "That's so cool," she said with a bigger smile. "Why didn't they come with you?" She asked, referring to me staying on the island.

    We turned the corner, and then newly faced the entrance of the ginormous college. I nearly chocked on my words when I looked up to it.

    "Work— they're working," I said quickly, and sort of awkwardly. "That's why I'm here. They're gone for a year and my grandparents offered to take care of me," I tried to make my voice calm.

    "I see," John B nodded, gripping harder on his backpack straps while he looked forward as well.

    The three of us stopped walking when we heard a small vibration come from Sarah's bag. My heels stopping their steps on the sleek pavement, I looked over at her with softly narrowed eyebrows, while people trotted around us.

    "Uh-oh," she said, when she looked down at the screen, "It's my handler!" She cried, with a humorous tone, as she flipped the screen in our direction, lit up by the word 'dad'.

    John B fake-gasped.

    "I told him I was spending the night at Scarlett's house," she bit down on her plump bottom lip, her eyes twinkling rebelliously as she shifted them between us. She began to walk backwards, us following.

    "Sarah!" I gasped foolishly, putting my hand over my mouth.

    "And what would he do if he found out you were hanging around with us?" John B played along.

    "I'd be hanged," she giggled, "for treason!"

    A loud laugh spilled past my mouth, and John B chuckled. She turned around and sighed out happily, as the three of us began to walk in our line again, towards the large entrance.

    "You should meet my dad sometime, Tina," Sarah nudged my arm again.

    I nodded with a smile as response, while she pulled open the huge door, and walked in first. I held it open behind me for John B to step inside, and soon, the two of us were following Sarah up a long flight of porcelain stairs. The whole time we walked, my heels echoing on the steps, I was staring around at our surroundings, into the wide open entrance of the college— which looked more like a palace to me, with the diamond chandelier hanging from the top ceiling. I felt out of place, but I certainly looked normal compared to everyone else, with my pristine dress and shimmering shoes.

    When we finally made it to the top, our heels still echoing on the sleek flooring of the second level, Sarah turned to John B and I.

    "Time to play the truth game." She then announced, her voice somewhat loud over the quietness of the place.

    "Again?" John B rolled his eyes.

    "Why the hell are we here," she asked, more as an order, rather than a question.

    "Look, Sarah, we already told you," John B said with a low voice.

    "Okay— well, intel on the mission is the price of the ticket," she switched gazes between both of us. "And I'm the only way you're getting in." 

    "She does have a point, John B," I looked up at him with drooped eyes, my voice light, not wanting to make him upset.

    "I have to know eventually," Sarah shrugged nonchalantly, while separating from us.

    John B let out a long scoff, and then stopped walking. "Okay."

    I stood beside him with my arms crossed, eyeing the people around warily, who weren't paying attention. Sarah turned to face us. There was a long moment, before he gave me a glance, and then he said it.

    "We're on a treasure hunt."

    She immediately laughed.

    I stared at her blankly. I nodded.

    The place went quiet in a matter of seconds, as the smile slowly fell from her face.

    "Holy shit..." her eyes were shifted between us repeatedly, filled with concern and disbelief. "You're serious?"

    "Look— I have a reason to believe that Denmark Tanny was the sole survivor of the Royal Merchant wreck." John B quickly explained.

    "He has the papers and everything, Sarah," I backed him up.

    Her eyebrows were sharply furrowed together.

    "And I know this sounds crazy, but we're pretty sure that he got away with four-hundred million in gold." John B said with a low tone. "Which is how he would have been able to buy Tannyhill. The answer, to where that treasure is, is written in those papers." He glanced over to the library entrance.

    "You said..." she trailed off, "four hundred million."

    "In gold." I nodded.

    "I'll go talk to the librarian," she then turned around and walked away, in the direction of the library.

    I gripped my hand tightly around John B's forearm, shaking it as an excited grin plastered over my lips. He looked down to me with an equally as excited smile, all of his teeth showing, as my hand slipped down and he interlocked our fingers.

    And then, before I knew it, the three of us were shaking the librarian's hand, and walking up the steps of the library towards the archives. I sat beside John B under the yellow lamp, and Sarah sat across from us on the other side of the table, a box in front of her. We each slipped on a pair of plastic gloves, before diving into the papers and documents.

    After a few minutes of finding information we already knew, I got bored and stood up from my chair, huffing out a long sigh. I sort of felt bad for not staying on task, but they continued to look through everything, not minding my absence. I trailed my eyes around the library we were in, flattening down my dress as my attention landed on an old, shiny black phone in the corner. I walked right over to it.

"Hey, guys, do you think this phone works," I giggled to myself, grabbing it in my hand.

"I wouldn't touch that, Charls," John B mumbled from behind me, his eyes still on all the documents.

    "It's probably just to call the front desk," Sarah added.

    Nonetheless, I took a chance and dialled a number. I swallowed the air in my throat when I brought the phone up to my ear, hearing it ring.

    "What are you doing, Charlie," John B put his head into his hands, as I turned to face them. "Who are you calling?"

    I put a finger up to my lips, before mouthing the words, "my dad". Sarah and John B looked at each other, and he was about to protest and tell me to sit back down, but Sarah put her hand out as a "stop" and looked at me. They were both waiting.

    With every time the phone rang, my heart rate increased. I waited and waited, but no one answered.

    "Worth a try," I giggled softly, but it only sounded sad.

    Sarah frowned when I took the phone away from my ear, "try your mom, maybe." She sent me a very soft smile.

    I nodded at the suggestion, feeling my spirits lift up, as I dialled my mom's cellphone number. Another long wait. My stomach fell when I counted the rings, realizing that it was coming to an end. I was about to put the phone down and return to the documents, until I heard a voice.

    "Hello?" The recognizable female spoke, with a tone of curiosity.

    "Anne?" I felt my face lit up, "Hey! It's me— Charlotte,"

    "Oh hello, dear," Anne, my mother's assistant spoke calmly, sounding refreshed to hear it was me.

    Sarah and John exchanged glances, and I assumed they could hear her talking.

    "Hi, Anne— how are you? Are my parents there by any chance," I said with a slight tone of impatience, my teeth biting down onto my bottom lip.

    "I'm good, good. They're busy right now," she answered. "I just happened to find your mother's phone."

    "Oh," I don't know why I was so surprised, but the smile slowly fell from my lips anyways. "That's okay, I was just calling to say hi," I said, trying to keep my tone happy.

    John B and Sarah were listening to me, taking a break from the research, their heads both leaning on their hands and watching.

    "How come you haven't called recently," Anne questioned, "and where are you calling from, it says no ID. I'm sure I got your grandparent's number—"

    "I'm calling from a college— long story, but a hurricane hit and the towers are down on the mainland," I explained calmly.

    "A hurricane!" She exclaimed loudly, her voice instantly turned to panic.

    John B widened his eyes at the obvious outburst.

    "Do you want me to come and get you— I'll- I'll get you a plane ticket-"

    "No, Anne," I said reassuringly. "Everything is fine."

    "Are you sure?" She breathed out unsteadily.

    "Yes, I'm sure." I spoke, and she calmed down a little bit, "are you positive I can't talk to my parents?"

    "No, sweetie, they're extremely busy right now, I'm sorry," she said with a slightly sad tone.

    My stomach fell, "Okay. That's alright," I tried to smile even though she wouldn't see it, "Thanks."

    "No problem, I'll tell them you called." She said sweetly.

    "Okay," my lips frowned slightly.

    "Talk to you soon, Charlotte." She sighed.

    "Yeah," I breathed out. "Bye now."

    When I put the phone down, the room was silent. No one talked as I sniffed, and slowly walked over to the table. I wasn't crying, but I felt like it. John B put his hand on top of my leg when I sat back down in my chair.

    "I just wanted to see if they'd answer," I laughed, but it was more to reassure my sad feelings than to make him and Sarah smile. "I'm sorry I interrupted the mission, I didn't mean to, I just got excited by the phone—"

    "It's okay, Charlie." Sarah was looking at me with a sad look from across the table.

    "No— that was dumb of me to do, guys, I'm sorry," I was rambling, my hands rubbing over my forehead.

    John B tapped my leg, "It's fine, Charlie, really."

    I looked over at him, but he was already looking at me with that look again. I stared into his eyes for a long second, his hand still on my leg, before I cleared my throat.

    "Yeah—" I mumbled, and looked away. "So, um, what did you guys find?" I switched the subject.

    "Not much so far," Sarah answered, her fingers then peeling open a small document.

    "What's this," I said out loud, while reaching over to the box in front of John B, my hand gripping onto a thick brown book.

    Sarah stood up from her chair and walked around towards us, "that's the bible," she said.

    John B opened the cover, stopping there, "check this out," he said with a low tone.

    "Cecilia, Robert, Lewis, and Abraham," Sarah read out the names written on the first page. "His three sons."

    "What does that mean?" I looked up to her behind us, my eyebrows furrowed.

    "Wait a minute—" he placed the book down on the table and newly reached for a single piece of paper, holding it up.

     Sarah gasped quietly, "Is that a picture of—"

    "The gold..." John B whispered. "This is how he bought the land— its British gold, what was on the Merchant!"

    "Oh my god," I realized what he meant. "Denmark Tanny did have the gold!"

    Smiles were then plastered on every face, at the breakthrough information. I was trying to process it in my mind while John B and Sarah looked at a piece of old parchment glued to cardboard, discussing how it was a letter from Denmark to one of his sons. Then, before I knew it, John B was snapping a picture of the letter, and dragging Sarah and I out of the library in a hurry.

___

    The boat ride back home was long and tiring. On the ride, the three of us were sitting on chairs along the balcony end, still wearing our expensive outfits from Chapel Hill, looking forward as our island came back into sight. At one point, out of curiosity, I had asked them what this meant for us. If the three of us would stay a trio. Of course I knew that I was still going to be with the Pogues, and I knew that Sarah and I were still going to be friends, but I was wondering if this meant she was also apart of the project now, too. They didn't have a direct answer.

    When we had gotten off the boat, it was pouring rain. John B and I had said goodbye to Sarah, both hugging her, and we had watched her make her way off the port and out of sight. John B had then offered to walk me home. I didn't mind, because I enjoyed the rain, and we had walked side-by side all the way back to my grandparents house, getting soaked and talking about useless things. I could tell that he wanted to kiss me, when he had finished walking me to my door, but he didn't.

    So, now, around seven o'clock, I sat by myself in my grandparents living room, my hair wet, watching the rain fall down the windows and listening to the trees ruffling overhead. I thought about my day. It was probably one of the best days I'd ever had, from the chaotic galavant through Sarah's home, to the running on the port, to sitting in the steaming hot engine room of the tugboat, to picking outfits in the expensive boutique, and then to figuring out that the gold was real. It sent a rush into me, just by thinking about it.

    As I stared out the window, something new caught my attention. It was a van, pulling up in front of the house. John B's dirty brown van.

    I immediately stood up from the couch and quickly rushed over to the screen door, pulling it open. The rain was much louder outside, hitting the roof of the porch above me.

    "John B?" I said loudly with squinted eyes, as the van door pushed open and he stepped out, "What are you doing here?" I called.

    He didn't reply as he ran his hand through his wet hair, his strides powerful as he marched up the lawn. He was looking straight at me. I stepped over the threshold, and slowly closed the door behind me, my eyebrows narrowed at why he wasn't replying. I didn't know what he was doing, if he was upset— what he was going to do. He jumped up the porch steps in a fast motion.

    "John B—"

    Before I could get my last words out, both of his hands gripped all the way around my waist, pulling me in against his front side.

Closing the final gap between us, his lips unexpectedly crashed right into mine.

    Then, it was like I was shot into outer space.

    Immediately, I felt a shock of electricity shoot through every single vein in my body, from the sudden feeling of his soft lips on mine and his touch. My heart rate sky-rocketed through the ceiling when I kissed him back within milliseconds, my hand instantly flying up to meet his neck, as the electric feeling drizzled down my entire body. We kept the same kiss, butterflies enveloping every inch of my stomach until it hurt. His plump lips latched onto my bottom one, smoothing together as the rain pounding on the roof above us, his shirt was wet against my own, and his hands traveled around on my back for any place to hold.

    There were fireworks crackling inside the pit of my stomach when his mouth moved against my lips delicately, and the fire brewing inside my chest grew with each time we reattached. His lips sent a chill tiptoeing down my spine, it was a feeling I couldn't quite grasp, but I knew with every single part of me that I didn't want it to end.

    But, it did.

    He pulled away, leaning his head on mine and breathing out unsteadily. I swallowed, my fingertips tangling in his hair.

    "What was that for?" I said, out of breath. The smallest of giggles left my mouth as I bit down onto my bottom lip, savouring it.

    A tiny laugh spilled past his mouth. "You're something, Charlotte." He breathed out, his chest heaving slowly.

    I placed my hands onto his shoulders, my stomach exploding with even more butterflies than before when we caught eye contact. "And you're crazy," I whispered. The widest of smiles was on my face as I pulled away from his head.

    He looked at me for a long second, and I tried to process what had just happened, as he let go of my waist and touched his bottom lip. With a smile from ear-to-ear, he began to take small steps backwards, keeping his eyes locked with mine as he backed away, laughs falling from my lips.

    Then I watched him walk all the way back to his van, my teeth biting down, and my stomach still doing backflips— he was my first kiss.

𝐋𝐌𝐀𝐎 𝐈 𝐃𝐎𝐍𝐓 𝐊𝐍𝐎𝐖 𝐇𝐎𝐖
𝐓𝐎 𝐖𝐑𝐈𝐓𝐄 𝐊𝐈𝐒𝐒 𝐒𝐂𝐄𝐍𝐄𝐒
𝐈𝐌 𝐒𝐎𝐑𝐑𝐘

𝐯𝐨𝐭𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐢𝐟 𝐮 𝐰𝐚𝐧𝐭 !!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

539K 11.9K 40
❝ 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘧𝘦𝘭𝘭 𝘢𝘴𝘭𝘦𝘦𝘱 𝘪𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘤𝘢𝘳 𝘪 𝘥𝘳𝘰𝘷𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘩𝘰𝘭𝘦 𝘵𝘪𝘮𝘦 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵𝘴 𝘰𝘬𝘢𝘺, 𝘪'𝘭𝘭 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘢𝘷𝘰𝘪𝘥 𝘵𝘩...
31.7K 512 33
[Warning: this story sucks, like, really bad. I wrote this a little bit ago, and it scares me to read it.] Evangeline just moved to L.A. She meets a...