Sincerely, Charli Day

By universal_boredom

❝Our future is now up to the one thing I've been forced to believe doesn't exist.❞ Charli Briar Day is who yo... More

Welcome :)
Characters + Aesthetics
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11 *new*
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Announcement: Please Read!
Announcement: Updates :)

Chapter 13

1.8K 147 266
By universal_boredom

I can't help but laugh.

"So you're telling me that the three of you," I gesture to Axel, Callum, and Caden. "Chugged three bottles of beer each and ate an entire bowl of ice cream...all under seven minutes."

The three boys laugh, Truett shaking his head with a disapproving smile.

The boys and I are crammed into a booth in the back of the small local diner. Delilah couldn't make it in the end, much to Truett's delight.

I sit beside Caden on one side, as Axel, Callum, and Truett squeeze into the other.

"That wasn't even the best part," Axel starts. Caden shakes his head, groaning into his hands.

"Don't remind me."

Axel continues to laugh, clenching his stomach. "The two of them, Callum and Caden, decided to have a street race after. By rolling."

My mouth falls open as I get a slight hunch of where this story is going. "Oh my gosh, no."

"Yes," Callum says, smirking. "And we did it naked."

Sometimes I'd wish my life was more like a cheesy movie, but then I'm reminded of scenes like this. I'd prefer that to stay in the movies.

"Oh my god." I press the heels of my palms into my eyes. I glance at Caden in horror. "Tha-you did that?"

He cringes as he nods, recalling the clearly stupid decision.

"I have the proof." Truett confirms, waving around his phone. He begins pulling up Snapchat when Caden shakes a finger at him.

"Don't you dare, asshole." He warns. Truett smirks, continuing to type and scroll.

"I'm not sure if I want to see." I mutter, opening one of the menus.

"Smart choice." Axel agrees, clicking his tongue.

Caden watches whatever video Truett begins to play, half covering his eyes. I advert my stare, scanning his face then my menu.

He seems relaxed. Not cool and collected cocky asshole relaxed, but happy. It's weird, it's like an alien Caden. ET if you will.

All I collect from the video is drunk screaming and laughter, along with loud cheers for Caden.

Callum leans over, watching too, only to lean back in his seat applauding. Caden shakes his head incredulously.

"How are you proud of this?" His face scrunches in concern and disgust.

Callum smirks, "I got to show off my abs, and got laid by a very pretty lady."

Caden tsks, crossing his arms. "You're gross."

"I am perfectly civil." He winks at me as Truett shoves him to shut him up.

"Mhm." I hum, eyes scanning over the different fries. Axel snorts, resting his chin in his hand.

"So Charli, are you a strawberry, chocolate, or...vanilla girl?" Axel asks, batting his eyes innocently.

I raise a brow, not missing the slight pause before vanilla. I would like to assume we're talking about the milkshake options.

I look back down, "Depends on the hour, day, and who I'm...dining with." Two can play this game. "But I have to say, I usually stick with chocolate. Vanilla was the old me."

Caden chokes slightly beside me, glaring as Callum lets out a low whistle. I tsk, handing Caden a napkin as he coughs. I pat his back awkwardly, refraining from hitting him too hard.

"Hi, my name's Caitlyn. What can I get for y'all?" A girl, possibly the same as age as me, greets as she stops in front of our table.

"Hey, Caitlyn." Callum drawls, winking at the brunette.

With a tired face, she narrows her eyes. "Shut up."

I can't hide my surprised laugh as Caden chuckles beside me.

"Hey, Catie." Caden greets, leaning back against the seat.

"I wasn't talking to you either." Caitlyn snips. She turns to me, the welcoming smile back on her face. "Hi."

I clear my throat awkwardly. "Um hi, Caitlyn. I'll have a strawberry milkshake please."

"Sure thing." She turns to the rest of the table, taking their orders with a hefty scowl. I get the feeling they all know each other.

"I thought you said you're a chocolate girl." Caden whispers, accusingly.

I shrug nonchalantly. "Like I said, hour, day, and people."

I begin to zone out after Caitlyn walks away, and the boys begin to argue over hockey teams. From what I pick up, Zayden would agree with Caden, which would be a first.

Caitlyn comes back fifteen minutes later with our food balanced on two trays. I don't know how they do it. I would drop the glass before it leaves the kitchen.

"Say, I didn't get your name." She sets the strawberry shake in front of me, handing me a straw.

"My name's Charli." I introduce, shaking her hand.

"Nice to meet you, Charli. Are you still in high school?" She asks kindly, tucking the trays under her arm.

"Yup," I smile. "Oak Grove High. How about you?"

"I'm a freshman at West Valley with Truett." She smirks as Truett grumbles something. "I'm his older cousin."

Wait-

I blink in surprise. "Oh?"

"We're not related." Truett sighs, picking at his burger.

She flips him off. "Yeah, we get that reaction a lot. It's a long story."

I nod, "Maybe next time?"

Her smile widens. "For sure." She turns on her heel before spinning back around. "Hey Charli, you're not Caden's new girlfriend or anything, are you?"

Caden protests from beside me, gaping at her.

I choke on my drink. "Definitely not." I sputter, covering my mouth with a hand.

"Good," She studies me. "You can do better."

"Yeouch." Callum mutters, rubbing his chest.

I turn to Caden as she disappears. "What'd you do to her?"

"Nothing." He mumbles. I continue staring until he relents, throwing his hands in the air. "I made no promises. I made that very clear."

I shake my head. "Pig."

"A very attractive one." Callum reassures, grabbing Caden's hand. He kisses the back of it.

Caden lets out a disgusted grunt, snatching his hand back. He wipes the spot with a napkin. "Can't say the same about you."

"Don't break the bromance, man."

"It never existed in the first place."

Callum chucks a fry at Caden, hitting him on the nose. "Take it back."

"No." Caden says, glaring. I sense the laughter and inside jokes.

Callum faces me, resting his chin in the palm of his hand. "What do you think, Charli? Should Cadypoo and I have a ship name?"

"I told you not to call me that." Caden grumbles.

Callum waves him off. "Tomato, to-ma-to."

"Well, when was this bromance established?" I ask.

"We've been engaged since the day we met in second grade." He fans himself.

Childhood best friends. I should've seen that coming.

"Ship name for sure." I nod, taking a gulp of my milkshake. "Calden?"

"Hey, you can't be making the ship names." Caden shakes a disapproving finger at me.

I raise a brow at him, challenging him. "Oh?"

"You've only known the asshole for two hours." He points out. I stiffen, reminded that he's right.

I don't know these people; they aren't my friends. Strangers have never been my forte, but strangely enough, I feel safe. So safe that I forgot my place.

Axel swiftly defends me. "Mate, don't be like that." He throws a smile my way. "She's one of us now."

And suddenly I'm worried.

"Okay," Caden surrenders, giving me a sympathetic look. He notices my grimace. "Guys, please refrain from making Charli any more uncomfortable than you already have."

"We have done no such thing." Axel gasps dramatically before turning to me with a straight face. "If we ever make you uncomfortable, feel free to yell at Callum or Truett."

"Truett's a brick wall, so aim for him." Callum suggests. "I, on the other hand, am a soft teddy bear."

I laugh lightly as Caden kicks him underneath the table, pinching the bridge of his nose.

"I'll think about you the next time I go to Build A Bear." I joke.

"You guys are impossible." Caden huffs.

"But we're people-people." Callum argues, ruffling Axel's hair.

"Yes indeed," Axel smiles, swatting Callum's hand away. "Loved by all genders."

"Gross." Truett mutters, finishing his burger.

Caitlyn comes back with our checks, waving goodbye...well more like waving at me and sneering at the boys. We leave the booth, shuffling out the door. We crowd in front of the small restaurant, saying our farewells.

"You are welcome," Axel starts.

"To hang with us," Callum continues, reminding me of Marcheline and Emery.

"Anytime." Axel finishes, grinning. "Just make sure Caden doesn't bring that blonde bitch. I don't know why she's the hot stuff for him, but this can be our little secret."

Caden scoffs, "I'm right here."

"Shh." Axel winks at me, before clapping Caden on the back. "Bye, honey bunches."

"Bye, asshole." Caden smacks a sloppy kiss on Axel's cheek, receiving a slap on the behind.

Caden walks me to my car across the parking lot, despite my protests. I assure him I don't need an escort, but he shrugs, shoving his hands into his pockets.

"I have manners." He says, walking beside me.

I tut, "You sure?"

"Hey, I thought we were becoming friends." He protests.

My brows raise. "Oh really? Friends? Lets settle with acquaintances first."

"You wound me, Sugar." He opens the door for me.

Muttering my thanks, I glance at him before pulling the door shut. "The ER is five blocks from here. Make sure they wrap it well."

❂  ❂  ❂

The next day is as peaceful as can be. Zayden brings me an extra iced coffee per usual, receiving a punch from Haisley when he showed up empty handed at her locker.

After class, Zuckerman asked how my personal statements are going, and I ended up crying in his classroom for twenty minutes.

All is swell.

"Sweetpea," Mom calls from her room. I move out of the kitchen to hear her better.

"Yeah?"

"Can you get me some water with a couple slices of lemon? I'm feeling kind of icky."

"For sure." I call back, making my way to the fridge. I pull out a lemon, admiring its bright yellow color.

I almost drop that beautiful lemon as Haisley strolls into the kitchen without warning, scaring me.

"Leo and his friends are outside on the porch again." Haisley announces, dripping in post-track workout sweat. She settles on one of the bar stools as I pull out a small cutting board and knife. "Except this time there are two girls with them."

I look up at her, setting down the knife before I cut myself. The lemon juice burns all the microscopic cuts on my fingers. "Really?"

She nods, smirking. "Two very pretty girls."

I didn't know Leo had it in him, leading me to wonder if it's actually my brother out there. "Well, that's new." I grab a towel to wipe my hands. Time to scare a couple of children.

"Where are you going?" Haisley asks, sighing as she watches me leave the kitchen.

"I'll be back," I call over my shoulder. "Go take a shower; meet me in 10." That should be enough time.

I make my way to the open front door, keeping quiet. I lean against the door frame, watching the group of kids in front of me. They laugh and tease each other, completely oblivious. I clear my throat.

They all freeze, looking up at me. As I survey them, I note that Haisley was right. The next thing I notice is a girl perched on our porch swing next to my brother, her legs hanging off his lap.

"You kids need anything?" I ask, smiling at the two of them.

She blushes, trying to move her feet but my brother keeps them in place as he fiddles with the laces of her converse. Cute.

"Lemonade?" Jack requests. I nod, before turning to the two girls.

"Are you two okay with lemonade?" The girl on the swing nods shyly, while the other, who sits on the porch steps, shakes her head.

"I'm allergic to stuff in lemonade. Can I please have water?" She asks politely.

"Of course." Before I turn back inside, I decide I should probably check for other allergies.

I turn back to my brother's friend. "Are you allergic to anything?" She nods, grimacing.

"Just strawberries."

"Great, I'll keep that in mind." I unfold my arms, moving away from my spot against the door.  "Leo, aren't you going to introduce me to your lady friends?"

He reddens, motioning to me. "This is Charli. My older sister."

"Amelia." The water friend responds, offering a single wave.

"Lea." Leo's friend extends her hand.

"Nice to meet you two. Y'all are welcome to hang out on our lawn, or porch, anytime." I joke.

"You know I take every chance I can get." Jack winks. Leo leans down, whacking him upside the head.

"My sister, dude." He reminds, a disgusted look on his face.

"Cute." I deadpan, ignoring the boys. "The bathroom's down the left hallway. Kitchen straight ahead, and Leo's room is down the right hallway, second door."

Jaden snickers, "Yeah, Lea."

She turns red, scowling at him. Fixing her eyes on a pebble, she mutters, "Shut up, Jay."

I clear my throat. "Jaden, please reframe from sexually objectifying my younger brother." Leo shoots me a mortified and grateful look.

Jaden begins to protest when Haisley appears beside me. With her hair wrapped in a towel and watermarks all over her blue tank top, she's a minute late.

"Hey, gorgeous." Zane nods with a wide grin. Amelia stiffens beside him, forgetting the phone in her hand as she directs her attention to Haisley.

"Hey there, cutie." Haisley cooes.

"Oh, so now you think I'm cute?" He huffs.

She shakes her head, crossing her arms. "You're still too young for me. I don't look good in orange."

"Do you ladies go to Lincoln too?" I ask, but am ignored as Amelia keeps her eyes dead on Haisley.

"Who the hell are you?" Amelia demands, defensively. I stifle my laughter as I move to ruffle my brother's hair. He swats my hand away, not reciprocating the affection.

Loser.

Haisley's eyes widen innocently as she observes the girl. "Right, you don't know me. Whoopsies. I'm Haisley, Zane's guardian angel."

"What?" The poor girl's eyebrows knit together as folds her hands.

"It's a joke from three years ago. Don't worry, I'm taken." Haisley flashes her phone's lock screen of her and Ryder.

"Cool." Amelia bristles as Zane wraps an arm around her.

"Don't be so butt hurt."

She shoves his arm off her before I can blink an eye. "You're the one with a stick up your ass."

"Y'all continue your lovely conversation. I'll be back with the snacks." I push Haisley back inside, ignoring the devilish look on her face.

"Charli," Lea stops me. I turn around, slightly surprised. "We do go to Lincoln."

I smile widely, nodding. "That's good to know. Welcome to our social group."

Lea dips her head, blushing as my brothers waves me away.

"But I want to stay for more." Haisley pouts as I close the door behind us. I motion for her to keep walking.

"We have enough drama in our own lives, Hai Hai."

"Don't call me that. I'm not a stupid chicken." She glowers.

"Then stop acting like one." I pull open the fridge and pantry, gathering the things I need.

"Funny."

"Do you think Lea will last?" I wonder, grabbing a bottle of water from the fridge.

Haisley shrugs, taking her seat at the counter again. "TBD."

"You don't TBD' a relationship." I tsk.

"That's what I said, and I'm still waiting."

"You have nothing to wait for, Hales. He loves you; if anything you're waiting for the ring." I correct, reassuringly.

She brushes me off, jumping at the loud ring her phone lets out.

I place the food on the tray, organizing some of the miscellaneous items scattered along the counter. When life is stressy, everything is most definitely messy.

"I have to go." Haisley stands abruptly as she stares down at her phone. Her brows furrow, worry and dread written across her face.

"Is everything alright?" I ask worriedly, not fond of that look.

She waves me off, fiddling with her keychain. "Yup." She finally looks back up at me, forcing a smile.

I don't push the topic as I gnaw on my thumb. I hand her the tray, letting her deliver it as she leaves.

"Shit." I yelp, scrambling to get the glass of cold lemon water to Mom.

"I was beginning to wonder if you had to chase some lemons down." Mom teases, setting down her book.

"Sorry." I mutter, handing her the glass. She waves me off, taking a sip.

"No worries. Come sit next to me." She pats the bed beside her, scooting over to make room for me. A weird nostalgic feeling washes over me as I curl beside her.

She brushes her fingers through my hair soothingly. "Did you know Leo has a girlfriend?" I mumble, eyes drooping.

She spills some of the water, majority landing on my face. I groan as she cackles, wiping the droplets with her sleeve.

"You're shitting me." She continues to laugh, setting her glass down on the nightstand.

"Nope," I smirk. "She's outside right now if you don't believe me."

She goes back to running her fingers through my tangled hair, humming. "I think I should allow my little boy to enjoy the sun."

"That's nice." I snicker knowing my mother is one hundred a gossip queen. We thrive on drama.

She lets out a sigh. "You two are growing up so fast."

"I'll stay here for college so you wouldn't miss a minute. Just try not to blink too fast." I tease, nudging her.

She looks to me seriously. "Charli, I want you to know that you can go anywhere for college. Never limit yourself, Sweetpea; I want you to travel the world."

I pull on my brave face, ignoring the sweat growing on my palms. "I don't want to go far though. There's nothing out there for me; my world is right here."

She pulls me closer, kissing the top of my head. "It won't always be like this, Sweetpea."

"I'd take it offer nothing." I whisper. "I'd take this everyday for the rest of my life, Momma."

"I know," Her voice cracks, and I close my eyes. "I know, Sweetpea. But you were always meant for greater things...we were made for lovelier moments of time."

"You're still beautiful."

Beautiful like all her paint splattered to empty canvases. Both shone brighter than the world of cruelty.

"So are you my beautiful baby girl." She holds my face in her hands, smiling as she takes me in. "My beautifully brave Charli Day."

❂  ❂  ❂

Oof the pain. The humor. The love. The sarcasm...

KEEP SCROLLING FOR CHAPTER 14!! *iNsERt pUrPLe eViL dEMOn fACe eMOji* Caden and Charli = yEs.

*ps: go follow my author Instagram @ universal.boredom.writes ;) if you don't have social media but want to keep up, the link's in my bio!!*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

96.1K 2.1K 30
✓ COMPLETED ✓ Started: 20th NOV 2020 Finished: 13th DEC 2020 EDITING! After the love of her life leaves her for good, Carlota Santiago has to strugg...
2.6K 127 78
"The more people you let in,the more chances of them walking out." "I will never walk out on you",Jamie said placing his index finger under my chin a...
3.2K 104 7
What would you do if your boyfriend broke up with you for someone else? Even worse. She is that girl. Popular, shallow and horribly perfect. The one...
93.7K 2.5K 94
☆Ranked #2 in Entertainment on 5/14/18☆ ☆Ranked #92 in Highschool on 6/8/18☆ Freshmen-Junior Year: "You and your lames need to get the fuck up fr...