Marriage Or Exile

By Smd_Lolita

Sindile's brothers carelessness landed her in a very unfortunate situation where she was forced to sacrifice... More

Unfriendly Bed
Undisclosed Truth
The Moment of Truth
For Family
The New Home
The Twins
His Name
Fair Enough
Its Time
The Sacred Ground
Initiation Accepted
Family Conflict
Family Ties
Goat Fur Bracelet
No Attraction

Grey Hair

70 12 32
By Smd_Lolita

"I really must look like a joker to you. May you help me by enlightening me on what you found so funny upon seeing me" Dumile suspected that whatever has gotten her friend rolling in laughter had to be her. She noticed that Sindile was focused on whatever task she was doing before the dog started barking.

Sindile was puzzled for a moment. She wasn't going to tell her friend about her mother's cruelty towards her behind. She still wanted this friendship.

"No hey, it's not you. Just that the dog reminded me of something really funny that happened this morning" she lied. She was not very good at lying. Telling one lie was not a problem, the problem comes up when she has to tell more lies to back up the first lie.

"Really! What happened this morning" her friend was aware that she was very bad at lying so she pushed a little to see if she was telling the truth.

"The poor dogs head was stuck in a can and she was going around bumping on things" she was hoping she would not be caught in her own lies. She heard that story from someone some time back and she couldn't recall who.

Dumile burst out laughing "Sindi my dearest, lying is not a talent you have. My dog was stuck in a can. I told you about it like two weeks ago" they both burst out laughing

"I should really teach you how to lie. You will embarrass me in front of important acquaintances"

"No wonder mother doesn't like me hanging out with you" Sindile concluded. Dumile rolled her eyes and they giggled once more.

Zuzile watched as the girls continued to work on the maize taking turns, chattering and gigging. They were having a great time. She realized that Sindile was always happy around her friend and her heart swelled. This Dumile girl wasn't so bad after all.

Dumile was also nineteen years old and she was not as reserved and naïve as Sindile. She was the total opposite of her friend. Dumile could be described as the life of the party, her vibrant nature always draws people to her. She was not afraid to approach people and introduce herself, which is precisely how she became friends with Sindile Banda.

They met at school in first grade five years ago. Sindile was the most quiet girl in class, most times she was caught sucking her thumb not talking to anyone seeming lost, so Dumile took it upon herself to make friends with her. Turned out Sindile could be a wonderful friend when you get to know her, and they were tuck together since then.

"You know, my father just told me that I will not be going back to school next year. He wants to focus on paying for my brothers, all three of them except for me. This is not fare Sindi" she was clearly devastated about the new development or lack of development that is.

Unlike her friend Dumile was deeply bothered by this predicament. She had totally different dreams from that of her friend. She wanted to go to college some day and become a journalist. She wanted to leave this shit hole they call their home and enjoy life in the city. Dumile was not going to let her dream go down the river and become some pathetic wife.

" It's really not fare that he would mention this right now, mother told me five years ago that I was only going to go to school to learn how to read and write. I do not mind though, it's not like I need a lot of education to learn how to count pieces of meat. Look at us, we are already women. You will be old and grey by the time you complete school. You think you going to get a suitor then?"

"I will not need a suitor my friend, I will have a job and live off of my own earnings. I do not need a man to dictate my life. I will be an independent lady"

These young ladies were wired differently. They had different views of the world and their values were different which made them very good for each other. They always had things to argue and bicker about. They have been working for hours now and they did not realize how much time had passed because of their conversations. They talked about all sorts of things, from education to marriage. They were gossiping about other people's lives when the dog rushed past them running towards the main entrance wagging its tail.

They saw three people heading towards the main entrance. Sindile instantly recognized her siblings. They were with an old man. He had grey hair and was walking with an aid of a cane. She had never seen this man before but it was Manzemvula's appearance that captured her attention. He was wearing a full traditional attire which meant he haven't been at the fields at all. Sindile was confused. Mongezi was also wearing clothes he only reserved for travelling.

The two older men went to sit under the shade of a tree near the kraal and carried on with their discussion. Mongezi walked towards the girls. He was carrying a bag filled with something they could not recognize, excitement written all over his face, probably because of Dumile's presence.

"Hello Dumile Miss, how are you, I haven't seen you in a while" Mongezi said greeting the other lady excitedly and ignoring his sister on purpose. These two siblings did not get along well. Each one of them thought they deserve their mother's attentions more than the other, Sindile being the only girl child and Mongezi being the last born in the family. It was not a secret that this little man was smitten with his sister's friend though despite their age differences.

"Hello to you too, I am right here too you know and you haven't seen me since yesterday. What do you have in the bag" she asked her voice laced with curiosity.

"I brought some guavas, you can dig in" he said opening the bag for them, hoping his gift will score him some points with the older girl. The girls were excited. They stopped gathering their working tools and shoved their hands into the bag.

"Hey, is that Pita Mamba, you know, the rich man that lives over the mountain. I heard he have been looking for a bride for a very long time" his favorite lady asked him. Dumile was always updated with the latest gossip because she was acquainted with a lot of people.

"Cor's it him, how come you know so many people, do you travel a lot?" he asked, intrigued. Before Dumile could answer Mongezi's question, Zuzile graced them with her presence.

"When did my boys arrive and why on earth would you let these two stuff themselves with so much guavas." Zuzile asked her son. "You know that this will lock up your arses when it's time to go" she directed her question to the girls as she took Mongezi's hand and led him to the kitchen asking him about their journey.

"Mother! We are eating here" Sindile screamed, clearly feeling uncomfortable about her mother's remarks.

"It is always exasperating how your mother always finds a way to bring that particular part of the body in every conversation. What did it ever do to her?" they both burst out laughing, Sindile laughing harder remembering her mother's comment about Dumile's behind again.

Mother should stop doing this, I will be beaten up by my own friend one of these days, she thought to herself.

"It's getting late, I should get going before father sends out a search party"

Sindile and her friend said their goodbyes, then she wrapped up her work and went to the kitchen. Her mother was already cooking chicken and the aroma made Sindile's mouth water in anticipation. She remembered today's events, it had been such a strange day, her mother's behavior, Manzemvula's secret, the shrine and the barrels of ale. Now there was an old grey man sitting under the tree with his brother talking about God knows what. Dumile's statement earlier about the grey man did not help either. Sindile was determined to find out what everyone was hiding from her and she was starting to feel like it was not good at all. She felt her energy drain by the minute.

She was about to ask her mother when Manzemvula walked in and asked her to send some traditional brew to the man sitting under the tree. She prepared the brew and took it to the tree. This tree was planted deliberately at the side of the kraal to provide shade to its occupants. This is where men sit when visiting the household, either to hang out with her brothers or for important matters which were always discussed with Manzemvula. This place was called Lisango and had a number of logs cut and carved nicely into stools surrounding a fire pit.

There is no woman who would want to marry this old hag, Sindile thought as she drew near.

"Good afternoon Sir" she said, greeting the old man kneeling in front of him placing the tray in front of him. "I was sent to bring you something to drink" she added feigning a smile but failing profusely.

"Thank you Miss Banda. You can call me Mr. Mamba" he smiled brightly showing off his beautiful white teeth. The smile made him look a bit younger and he was studying her with interest taking in her appearance making her feel uncomfortable.

"I will take my leave then Mr. Mamba" she turned to leave then the man started talking.

"No, please. Stay Miss Banda" he motioned for her to sit on the other wooden stool.

"I came here to see you" he continued.

Sindile could feel her anger building up, her throat becoming dry as she sat on the log "But why?" she asked with a hoarse voice feeling a lump in her throat, confusion written all over her pretty face. This conversation was making her feel uncomfortable but she had to comply to understand what was going on.

"You know, I was told of your respect and beauty, I just had to come and see for myself but I did not expect to find such a goddess. I have never seen such beauty in my whole life" Sindile rolled her eyes and looked in the distance. This is not going to end well, she thought to herself getting annoyed.

It was true that Sindile was very beautiful. She has big round eyes complemented by her thick long eye lashes that almost touch her cheeks when she blinked. She totally looks like a doll with that oval face. Her black course hair was gathered into a bun that sat like a crown on top of her head. Sindile was average height, and even though she was more on the athletic side, she did have quite a prominent behind. Sindile did not behave like most beautiful girls though, she respected people. She was also very reserved and kindhearted.

She wasn't even paying attention to the old man's rambling when she heard him say "I will be honored to have you in my home, we will be leaving tonight"

To say Sindile was shocked is an understatement. Sindile did not hear most of the things Mr. Mamba said but she heard the last statement loud and clear. Her emotions were all over the place in a second. Her heart was racing in her chest and she began to sweat profusely. She tried to say something but she could not find her voice. She needed some space, she wanted to be alone. She stood abruptly and ran. She did not look back until she reached her house.

Sindile locked herself inside and sat on her bed staring at the wall. She was shaking with anger she couldn't even breathe. There was a painful lump stuck in her throat. Her head was spinning and she screamed at the top of her voice and buried her face into her hands. Her family had betrayed her. Soon there was a knock at the door.

"Sindi, please open the door" she heard her brother calling from outside.

"Please open up, let me explain" he continued.

Sindile tried to stand up but her energy was draining really fast. She was shaking, her body suddenly feeling too hot and her vision becoming blurry. Her head was spinning and she was feeling faint.

"I don't feel so good" she said and everything went black.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Please leave a VOTE and COMMENT going forward. It will be much appreciated. And again thank you for giving my story a chance. Lots and Lots of LOVE.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.9K 214 25
The story of an ordinary girl living an ordinary life until secrets creep up from the grave changing her whole life
6.4K 649 9
What happens when the person you love the most cheats on you? What if you had no option other than marrying a stranger when you hated arranged marria...
48.4K 3.6K 78
Abandoned at a young age Zethu is left to fend for herself and her brother. Her ultimate goal is to trap a rich man and provide a good life for her l...
497K 25.9K 91
❝ find what you love and let it kill you.❞ ~collection of short stories