A Tiny Home

By RebeccaRahme1

"I'm going to build a tiny house and drive it to BC." "Oh." "Well?" I ask, knowing my perfect brother must... More

Authors Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Chapter 7

11 0 0
By RebeccaRahme1

Hank wakes me up at the crack of dawn and tosses my running shoes on the bed. I don't have the energy to be angry, not after a restless sleep filled with bright headlights and hazel eyes. So I climb into some shorts and a sports bra and stumble down the stairs to tie my shoes.

For a while we walk in silence, our muscles warming, our minds waking up. The sunrise inches upwards as does our pace and before I know it we're running the last leg of our standard five-kilometre loop from high school. We slow to a walk as we reach our street and I throw my hands over my head taking deep breaths.

"God it feels good." Hank smiles up at the sun.

"I thought you were still running up there in Toronto."

"I said Amy runs, I never had the time." He shrugs, "I guess I was too busy."

"Speaking of, what the hell is your job again," I ask.

He laughs, "I'm an engineer."

"No, you aren't, money man."

"Fine, I run an engineering firm."

I jostle him in the ribs.

"See you're a businessman."

"Sure I am." He chortles. "If I am so are you, you're practically running a tiny house business with Sir William."

"I hate when you call him that."

"Not as much as you hate being called Hannah Honey Bear."

"Ugh, you're both the worst. That nickname needs to die." I sit into a deep hamstring stretch and breath deep. "Anyways, we are not going into business together. He's cutting me a deal on his services in exchange for my home being a show home."

"The home you designed, the home he'll build." My brother grabs water from the garage and tosses one to me. "I'm just saying it'd be smart to consider it as a career possibility."

"I'm a writer," I argue.

"Yeah, a good one. You can't be a travel writer forever though. What if you want to settle down?"

"Then I'd write and sell pieces about that," I say shrugging. "Or I'd write a novel, be the next Margaret Atwood."

Hank sits next to me and touches his toes.

"Well, I guess that could work. I'm just saying, you should consider it."

"And I'm just saying I'm leaving so that wouldn't be practical would it."

"Maybe I just don't want you to leave again."

I turn and look at my brother who shrugs.

"It's nice having you home. Especially nice for Will, he doesn't really have friends here anymore."

"He has you," I argue.

"Yeah but, just me. I have all the guys from work, Amy's brothers and friends. I don't know it's good for him to be getting out."

"Hank, we aren't going out. We're working." I say standing and walking towards the front door.

"Working can be sociable," Hank says hopping up to his feet.

"Whatever."

"Who wants pancakes." Mom calls from the kitchen and our conversation is mercifully dropped.

As I pour real maple syrup over my breakfast the thoughts Hank planted begin circling in my mind.

What if I don't like BC? What if I do want to settle down? Maybe Will and I do make a great team...

The thoughts haunt me all the way into the car, down the highway and out to carp where I stop in at Alice's for a coffee.

"Hannah!"

I cringe internally, and possible externally as I turn to see Shelly in line behind me.

"Shelly." I grab my latte and Will's coffee and head towards the sugar.

The old floorboards creak beneath my feet and the live edged wood shelf is rough on my hands as I lean against it taking a deep breath.

"So weird running into you again." She says with a friendly smile.

"Small town, Ottawa." I grab the sugar and generously pour some in Will's cup.

"Heading up to Will's?" She asks.

I startle and glance up.

"How did you?"

"The sugar." She laughs, "I don't know anyone else that takes it black with five sugars."

I smile. "He always says he needs the extra sweetness cause he wasn't born with any."

"I think we both know, nothing could be further from the truth." She smiles warmly as she pours her milk into her cup and replaces the lid. "Anyways, I've got to run. Hopefully, I'll see you next weekend."

"Sorry?" I ask confused. I replace the lids on both our cups and follow her out the rustic red door.

"To build the shed," She says. "Will mentioned he was going to get your help. Sorry if I jumped the gun."

"Oh, no worries," For you. I think to myself. Will, on the other hand, has plenty to worry about.

"I'll see you again soon then," she smiles and waves as she climbs into her sleek Mercedes. One of the few outward signs of her wealth.

I think over the conversation as I drive up into the hills and park next to Will's truck. He walks down the small footpath between the trees to meet me.

I hand him his coffee in silence as he grumbles a brief hey, and makes his way back up the path.

"So I'm building a house all week and then building a shed this weekend?" I ask as Will takes his first sip.

He chokes and coughs, sputtering on the coffee.

For a moment I worry he's okay, then I hope the coffee burnt his tongue.

"When were you going to ask me?"

"Today. I take it you ran into Shelly at Alice's?"

"Yep."

"Should have just called and asked."

"Yep."

"Will you help even though you're mad right now?"

I sigh, "Yep."

"Okay good." He laughs. "I appreciate it. She's much more behaved when you're around."

I smile and wonder how she behaves when I'm not around. The coffee I swallow turns to acid in my stomach so I shut down the line of thinking, fast.

I take in the tarp Will pulls back and all the lumber we bought yesterday beneath it.

"Should we get started?" He asks.

"I don't know where to start," I admit looking at the trailer he had pulled into space.

"Let's start at the bottom and work our way up." He says gently.

He then sits on a stump and makes himself comfortable.

I sip my coffee and walk over to the stack of wood. I grab three planks and some two by fours and walk over to the saw he has set up. He watches me in silence, though I can feel his eyes questioning as I make my first cuts. I'm slow but precise. Not wanting to make any mistakes.

I grab the nail gun and add the planks to together in the right way, all angles line up and I exhale in relief as I pick it up and walk it to the trailer.

I place the steps in front of the middle of the eight by twenty trailer and climb up holding the nail gun.

"Okay, I'm ready," I call over to Will.

He bends over and laughs and I join in easily as he hands me the first plank of wood that will be the ground beneath my feet no matter where in the world I am. 

Authors note: Hi guys, let me know what you think of Shelly? Is she likeable or annoying? Thanks for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2M 53.8K 39
[COMPLETE!] "My best friend's brother grew up. Hot." Alexis is months from finishing college and starting a fashion label in New York. Years of plann...
425K 17K 81
"-So try it" Grayson says suddenly to Brea. "Try what?" Her eyebrow raises with intrigue. "You said you can snap your fingers and turn your feeling...
7.5K 251 29
COMPLETEDâś… Two high school teenagers finding themselves, analyzing this ever changing world, and building love. This is the type of love you wish you...
135K 2.3K 54
"I try so hard to be just friends but you sure don't make it easy." He averts his gaze from mine, and I wish he'd just look me in the face. "I don't...