Stranger | Jikook/Kookmin

By jotajotakapa

There are stranger things about the world. There are stranger things about people. But nothing and no one has... More

Confirmation
Introduction | Prestory
1 | First String of Fate
2 | Team Secret Services
3 | Code Word: Mascot
4 | Tracking Down the Hacker
5 | Being a Fool
6 | Boy With Twists
7 | Costume Box and a Pair of Boxers
8 | Fandom
9 | Molt Icebergs
10 | Not Supposed to Fall
11 | Deal With The Devil
12 | Little By Little
13 | Ice Cream Couple
14 | Hal Su Iss-eo
15 | Sweet-Talker Fierce-Walker
17 | The Impetuous Guest
18 | Full of Surprises
19 | Imposter
20 | Precious To Me
21 | Mid String of Fate
22 | See For Yourself
23 | Are You Gonna Stay?
24 | Dozillion Times
25 | Best Hugs
26 | Inspired or Some Shit
27 | Delivering
28 | Fuel to the Fire
29 |Team Makeover
30 | Hackers on the Dome
31 | Pamper Day
32 | A Seaweed Problem
33 | Hide-And-Seek
34 | Soon Enough
35 | Better Than the Truth
36 | Two Babies
37 | Anything For You
38 | Karma is Pinkman
39 | Always
40 | Last String of Fate
FareWell
Jimin (Point of View PT1)
Jimin (Point of View PT2)
Jimin (Point of View PT3)
Namjoon (Point of View)
Minji (Point of View)
Yoongi (Point of View)
Special Announcement

16 | Muse

590 56 143
By jotajotakapa

The stage is such a place that grants you another life, another dream, another body. It's the only place where you can look and feel different than the you you have grown to know. Jungkook had heard it meant adrenaline rush to some and home to the others. He tries defining the sound of his heart beating into his chest, his heavy breaths forming clouds on the air, and the silence  swallowing his mind into an alternate dimension, what all of these things mean to him. 

The blue light above him creates a hollow loom over his silhouette, overgrowing the size of his eyelashes to shadows so big Jungkook can feel them covering his cheeks. His figure greets him diagonally on the ground, the darkest shade of black Jungkook has ever seen of a shadow. It's fascinating and scary at the time to be the source of attention of so many people yet feel so out of it, as if he is floating in another universe. 

His heart drops when he hears the sound of violin screech through the stadium. It's muscle memory of so many practice hours by now – his legs start moving at the direction of the sound, the YAGJA member skating in his direction while playing the instrument. They make eye contact through the costume but Jungkook doesn't feel like he is wearing it. He is light as a bird as he swirls around her, guiding her to her spot on the court. One by one come the other members wearing their own skating equipments, their powerful black and blue costumes sparkling under the lights that accent on them from different corners of the stadium.

After the violin intro, the song finally starts. 

The girls do the rapping and singing, the coolest versions of themselves Jungkook has seen to that day – indeed so professional-looking and passionate that the crowd starts showing incredible reactions at each beat drop. Jungkook's role in the piece is interacting with Adora as she sings and putting on little skating figures with the background dancers that come in at the chorus of the song. The highlight of the performance is the song break at mid-choreo where YAGJA forms a circle around Jungkook, in which the special effect wings they put on him earlier burst out to the sides like a peacock's splendor, drawing an ensemble of gasps from the crowd. As the bass comes back in and the members start singing again whistles are going off in the crowd, chants and claps following the song structure.

That point on, all the anxiety Jungkook had been sporting dissolves into a memory of tenderfoot, and all he feels now is the thrill of frenzy rushing through his veins. His steps get harsher to the end, his movements big and daring. He is no professional when it comes to skating, but the gorgeous wings and the special choreography make him look like a swan king and Jungkook resembles no short of an alpha male with his puffed chest when they make it to the end of the eloquent but influential Black Swan performance.

He is on his knees with YAGJA posed behind him coolly, the crowd of spectators on their feet, screaming and clapping endlessly at their dope showdown.

It's only beginning though.

After exchanging quick hugs with Adora and the team, the LED lights in the stadium burst into blinding leaks of yellows and browns, a split line of marching band walking in from opposite directions of the court. The cheerleaders are in place in an eye blink and Jungkook finds himself popping to the bustling beat of the anthem alongside them. He feels more in tact in this round of the performance because unlike during Black Swan, the room is now bright and golden, cheering faces of all the fans and families crystal clear. He laughs behind the mask as him and Yong-sun do a part of the choreography facing each other, a little funny dance that makes everyone burst into laughters. Jungkook is twisting his arms like a chicken and Yong-sun is doing the crab walk. They make a wonderful pair, be it seriously going full on with their moves or switching moods to a lighter atmosphere – Jungkook will admit to her being the best dance teacher ever. 

The marching band lets out little primal sounds of encouragement and it works in putting everybody into a frenzy. Banners dance in the air, groups of fans swinging their bodies left to right like ones in a concert would. It's like a full on festival with the confetti popping from the ceiling,  the cheerleaders doing cartwheels at the same time, filling the large court like it amounts nothing. Jungkook knows he has won everyone's hearts, but he truly cares about one person only.

At his solo part of the song where he is supposed to be kneeling on the ground and re-enacting a soulful singer, he fucks the plan. He searches for Jimin on the crowd and spots him at the original spot he had reserved for him, a cute fan hat sitting sideways on his head and that huge-ass banner from earlier clutched into his hands palpitating on the air as he jumps up and down in slow motion – or maybe slow motion is the only way Jungkook can see him as he breaks through the dancers and heads towards Jimin in determined steps.

The smaller man's eyes grow wide in surprise as the mascot approaches him, his movements coming to a halt when Jungkook stops in front of him and holds his hand out to him. People are crazily screeching and cameras are on the two of them as they do nothing but watch each other wordlessly. Jimin looks defenseless in front of him, caught off guard with the way he is hesitating and Jungkook wants to do nothing but take off this hell of a costume and wrap his arms around him, pull him into the tightest hug he can, beg him to be his, to let him be his, to let him love him because he will.

The world falls back into place as Jimin smiles at him, slow but steady, and finally takes his hand. 

Jungkook laughs loudly and doesn't care if his voice can be heard. He squeezes Jimin's hand tightly and starts guiding him to the middle of the stage, his movements gentle and time-consuming. He walks around and swirls him, ending his act with a back-hug that blocks out the view of Jimin's from the rest of the stadium due to the fluffiness of his costume. 

Soon it's time to resume the choreography and Jungkook has to let go of him. Jimin waves his hand at Jungkook before taking off, hands covering his face in embarrassment to hide away that beautiful laugh under the scrutiny of many curious eyes. Jungkook will make sure to extract it back from him after the performance. 

Putting his head back to the dance, Jungkook focuses on catching Yong-sun who runs his way, flawlessly lifting her up in the air and swirling her around as she extends her entire body on the air like she is made out of feathers. When the marching band starts beating on the drums Yong-sun thumps her hands on her chest and springs herself to the ground, landing in a perfect posture that enthuses the crowd. It's unplanned but the basketball players also rush themselves to the stage at the very end of the choreography, carrying Jungkook on their shoulders and parading through the marching band. The spectators join in on the spontaneity by making a Spanish wave at the moment of another bunch of confetti explosion, the perfect celebration for a perfect win like theirs.

Now Jungkook can decide what the stage means to him, and it definitely is not his home. Because stage is not a place to Jungkook. Stage is what he rushes through his body, what makes his gutter tremble with laughter, what makes his heart beat on the skies – stage is a feeling, only the best of the ones he has come to experience in his life.

Everything is nearing the end when a bunch of kids dressed in the swan mascot fanforms appear from the backstage part of the stadium entrance. Jungkook can't tell clearly because they are still not done dancing but there must be around 20 of them, holding platefuls of whipped creams in their hands. Before anyone understands what's going on, the congregate of kids accelerate towards the Ulsan territory of the stadium, starting to slap the plates at anybody they encounter at that side. The stadium breaks into chaotic howls and shrills, the mascot performance long forgotten as the court is suddenly flooded with people. Jungkook manages to save Yong-sun from being run into at the spur of the moment, the choreography out the window as everybody tries to shield themselves from the confusion. It's getting hard to see anything as smoke starts outcasting the entire stadium, sight of people disappearing one by one.

Stranded in the disarray of the opposition, all Jungkook can think about it... they are coming for me.

There is no time to question the credibility of his conclusion and there is nowhere he can go to because he can't fucking see, but he is sure something really bad is going to happen. Deciding not to move from his spot since he doesn't want to run in anyone's trap, he rather puts himself in a boxing stance and hardens his fist, readying himself to take over whoever comes for him. 

Blinking hard and trying to not drown in the heat of the costume, Jungkook is able to make out the first silhouette running in his direction. Heart beating on his throat he bounces in his place a couple times, ready to give that criminal the lesson of his life for making the stupidest decision of his life. 

What Jungkook doesn't calculate... is the criminal being better at his thing than Jungkook guessed him to be. 

He is good.

Not given another opportunity to ponder upon the meaning of his life, Jungkook is snatched by the hand, vision coming back to him when he is being stripped under the dim lighting of a cramped closet, costume pieces flying here and there until he remains on his underwear.

"Nice body."

He blinks and makes this embarrassing squeaky sound from the back of his throat, shutting his eyes when a pair of clothing lands on his face. 

"Come on, put these on. We don't have time."

With that he is ushered into the van parked at the entrance of the stadium building, the sheepish grin of his friends greeting him as the door opens.

"What's up JK?" Jin laughs obnoxiously at him, Adora's elbow propped at his shoulder behind which she smiles shamelessly. 

"Hop in, champ," Yoongi snaps his fingers impatiently from the front seat, pretending like the rear view is more interesting but Jungkook of course knows that mortifying excitement of his.

"What are you waiting for?" Jimin knees him from behind, making Jungkook finally turn around to react. 

"You, of all people have no right to–"

"Yeah, yeah, right," Jimin takes his tongue out at him, ushering him inside the van while ignoring all his protests that dissolve against the bubbled laughters echoing in the van anyway.

Jungkook will admit that he was taken aback by Jimin's plan to use their kid-fans as a way to take revenge from the Ulsan Riders mascot and fans (nobody would even think of hitting back a kid) by creating an unexpected fuss, and the Secret Services' smoke idea to get him out of the stadium without being noticed. It only sucked a little that he had no idea about the plan but he gets that it was a spontaneous one after they found out about the 'assassination' against Jungkook – which speaking about... 

Yeah, fine, whatever. Jungkook made a big deal out of it.

After all, who stood a chance against the Secret Services. And Jimin.

Goddamn, that Jimin.

They find themselves seated around a long table at a Korean BBQ restaurant later that night. Everybody is in a good mood. Meat is sizzling fresh on the grill, cups are clinking in the air and laughter is the destination of every unruly conversation. 

At Jin's calling for attention, all eyes land his and Yoongi's way as the club leaders who are sitting side by side like always, proud smiles decorating their faces as they get ready to make the celebration speech. 

"Ah, first of all, let's have a round of applause for Gidae Boyscouts: our sources of honor, unstoppable basketballers of the century, our university's ever-glorifying team!" Jin presses his eyes closed at the very end, prolonging the announcement with a joyful shout as everybody joins in with claps and whistles. "And next, another round of applause, but louder, hotter, sexier: give it up for Project Resurrection, team!"

This time round napkins fly in the air, cheers so loud that they turn heads at their fuss. It's like a big weight has lifted off of everybody's shoulders, and they are finally ready to hang out with each other as friends rather than business partners.

It's really pleasant, Jungkook finds himself thinking, warmth blooming on his chest upon watching the refreshing expressions on his friends' faces. They had dinner together on campus and at the nearby diner a few times before, but tonight feels like the first time they are happy to be at each other's presence, ready to put aside all conflicts and misunderstandings they have had in the past.

Even Shady feels like family. He's like that annoying cousin that gets on the nerve sometimes, but Jungkook has seen nothing but impressive talent from the dude last weeks so... yeah, he's ready to put aside said misunderstandings and try to ignore his spiky hair tonight.

"I had a looooot of fun today, and it was such a happy and valuable experience," comments Jimin from next to him, rosy cheekbones reaching his eyes. He isn't holding back on the drinks, Jungkook notices, the older man having ordered himself a soju the first opportunity they got with the waitress. What happened in return was rosy cheeks. Jungkook wonders if he has low tolerance for alcohol as he watches them, but it's an ephemeral thought that fleets away as soon as Yoongi makes a big approving sound in front of him.

"It truly deserved to be called an iconic basketball game, and the mascot show was a blast too. I enjoyed it a lot."

Minji took on the role of grilling the meat on her side of the table, not wanting to let Yoongi do any cooking since he spent the entire last night preparing food for the team. The delicious rice chicken soup they had stomached in the morning was all work of chef Min Yoongi; Jungkook is forever grateful for that jest. Back to present, Minji doesn't hold back from conversing amidst her meat flipping.

"When I was watching the performances, the marching band, the cheerleaders and the dancers were so immersed in the performance. I was really touched," she says with emotion in her eyes. "What I mostly remember though, is the expression on Jungkook's face all through the night."

Jungkook raises his chopsticks threateningly at her as the others laugh at Minji's cute teasing. "You know how hard it was to dance inside that costume? I started inhaling carbon dioxide after some point!"

"Jungkook-ah," Yoongi extends his hand over the table, gummy smile showing and shoulders shaking from laughing. Jungkook lets him pat the back of his hand a few times, an attempt at reassuring the young boy of his special place to all of them. "You did a great job today, seriously. We were all very impressed."

Jungkook grows a little shy, bowing his head at the compliments which flood right after that as if they were waiting for Yoongi to provide an opening. The team makes sure to tell Jungkook that he's not only dependable but also great at what he does, YAGJA members personally sending him thumbs up and kind words that leave Jungkook even more flustered than he originally felt about being the center of attention.

He never had a big circle of friends like this. 

He never cared about this many people altogether, and never felt like he was simultaneously loved back by them. He had some type of a good connection with his YouTube fans and all that, but a real life connection like this didn't occur to him. It's foreign to be appreciated in this manner, but he can't lie to himself: he is really enjoying being surrounded with these people.

"I didn't expect much from the performance overall. I mean, we worked hard and everything, but it wasn't clear whether the basketball team was gonna win in the first place. So I was scared everything would be a bust," admits Ae Cha, gathering everyone's attention as she stares at the grill as an escapade. Jungkook never heard her talk seriously about her personal thoughts, so he is surprised to see her open up. She mostly functions as the planner in the group, but now she seems to be breaking out of her dedicated character into something more... real. Someone more relatable. "I don't know if my teammates will be okay with me saying this but... this project was a risk to take," she bites her lip, an awkward smile on her face as she seeks Jin's reaction.

Jin is really considerate in his answer.

"This was a last minute decision, when you think about it. Yoongi and I just wanted to liven up Jungkook," he laughs in his comical ahjussi mood which is nothing but adorable to Jungkook who feels amounts grateful as he listens. "But the mascot elections were too good of a chance for us to miss. There were only two-three days to the final registration, weren't there?!"

"You're right," Jungkook nods, nostalgia hitting him as he remembers his reaction when they first told him about the mascot show. He can't help but smile at their lousy beginning, at his lack of belief in the others but this time... this time the Secret Services nailed it. They did their absolute bestest and that's all that matters to Jungkook from now on.

"We were able to reach Jimin last minute," Yoongi points at Jimin, shutting his eyes in agony yet laughing as he breaches the subject.

Jimin cracks into laughter himself immediately, barely covering the food in his mouth with the back of his hand while answering. "And then I rejected you guys, so Jungkookie had to come apologize because I was upset about it."

Jungkook holds his temples, using the shadow created by his hand to hide behind. He remembers the embarrassment he had to go through that day to make it up to Jimin. "Don't remind me, hyung," he whines, voice coming aegyotic though he doesn't intend. It makes Jimin laugh again, but he is patting Jungkook's shoulder reassuringly to show him it's not a big deal at all.

"And you brought him flowers and all that, mmhm," Yoongi doesn't let go, now the rest of the Secret Services members cooing at them openly, their perfect chance to ruin something that might have had high possibility of happening by being too excited and even nosier. "In my one years of life spent with Jungkookie he never once brought me flowers, you know that Jimin-ah?"

Jimin is babying Jungkook the more he becomes embarrassed, trying to cradle him to his chest like the nurturing hyung he is and Jungkook could indulge in that, but he decides to make a comeback instead, feeling smug and powerful over Yoongi. 

Because as tough as Yoongi makes himself look like, he happens to have a soft spot for Jungkook. And Jungkook has proof sitting at the pocket of his jeans in an electronic device modern kids call a smartphone, indeed so fresh it happened to come to existence just last night.

"I'll pay you back for that touching message you sent me last night, Yoongi hyung, if that's what you're talking about," Jungkook raises an eyebrow and throws an almond into his mouth nonchalantly, watching Yoongi's complacent expression wear off.

It's funny.

And Jin doesn't like to be an outsider.

"What message is that?"

Jungkook challenges Yoongi with his eyes, the man's smile growing wider and shyer each second that passes. Jungkook opens his mouth and Yoongi's shouting DON'T DO IT! with all his manpower, edging everyone out of their chairs from curiosity. Now Jungkook has to say it or they're all gonna eat him alive.

"He sent me a cheer-up text last night," Jungkook says innocently, pretending to play with the tablecloth. He briefly glances at the members to boost his ego about having the upper hand. Even Jimin who doesn't know his friends that well has his eyes wide open, following every movement of Jungkook's. And Jungkook chuckles to himself, revealing the cat in the bag. "At the very end of the text..." he rides his tongue over the corner of his lower lip, smirking. "He said that he loved me."

The shrieks that go off at the table are even louder than their celebration cheers at the very beginning, but Jungkook doesn't have it in him to care as he laughs with the rest, saving the tired smile on Yoongi's lips into the back of his mind. 

"Yah, we have been friends for seven years and you sent me a maximum of 5 texts, Yoongi-yah!" Jin bickers from next to him, feeding him some nonsense food remain that he randomly picks up from the dishes, mindless to Yoongi puking it out in disgust. 

"Hyung-nim, do we even mean anything to you?" Shady kids from the side as well, helping Minji serve the food on the plates. The meal seems cooked and ready!

"Stop being jealous, all of you! " Yoongi whines, laughing nevertheless but it doesn't stop the rest from teasing him. 

"You can even copy and paste that same text hyungnim, I just want to hear it from you once in my life," Shady snickers while handing the plates to Jungkook's side, said scene-maker receiving and passing them on as he keeps laughing at the commotion he caused. Everything aside, the samgyupsal smells and looks awesome. It's becoming more apparent as the food is distributed across the table.

"At this point he is begging," Minji nudges Shady playfully, cracking when Shady actually nods in complete accord.

Yoongi shouldn't have teased Jungkook. But even so he's been exposed by him, nothing makes Jungkook feel like his hyung regrets it. They haven't been that close ever before. It might have something to do with the fact that they didn't hang around each other that much to begin with. Jungkook had been befriended by Jin and Yoongi on a random cafeteria encounter and they were the ones who kept in touch with Jungkook all along. Now that Jungkook thinks about it, maybe the two hyungs had always been mindful of him; after all they always managed to fit themselves into Jungkook's schedule one way or the other even though the three of them didn't exactly click.

"Be careful," Shady helps Ae Cha reach the dip sauce over the side of his table, but he doesn't stop talking. "Since everyone is being upfront... Is YAGJA here?" he bends his head to look all the way to the other side of the table where the girls are having a conversation of their own. 

The girls have been somewhat involved yet detached throughout the night, joining when there is a collective speech but retrieving into their own bubble for most of the time. Beside Jungkook sits Jimin, beside Jimin sits Adora, and the other girls are just about in that area. Jimin is the only one who is good friends with both sides apparently (tight friends with Adora from university even), so he takes on the responsibility of calling their attention to Shady who is addressing them.

Adora faces their side of the table fully, her girls inquisitively quietening down.

"You guys having fun?" Shady grins while asking. "We were making confessions, so I had one to make about you, though I'm sure you know it."

They know he is gonna be petty. Noone stops him anyway.

"Since I was handling the songs and the hype team regarding the mascot show, I got really annoyed when YAGJA came in," he says just like that, and again, no one stops him. 

Jungkook notices then how deep the Secret Services hatred towards YAGJA was at the time. He wasn't a total insider so he could never know, but it's surprising to see his kind and polite team let a potentially hurtful conversation of kind roll in a table of celebration. Maybe Shady happened to voice their collective unconfessed feelings just at once and maybe they needed this moment to feel heard by the neighboring club members.

Jungkook would have judged the boy for being rash if it were a couple weeks back. But now he gets him a little, if he pushes just enough. Shady doesn't do it to hurt anybody; he just acts as he is. Might be rough about the edges but maybe that's what makes him different. Jungkook can't believe he means that in a good way.

There is one person who doesn't allow hard feelings to get in the way, however.

Just like she had dived into the heart of the argument the day Jin and Adora were ready to murder each other on the hallway, Minji is there to offer lemonades in form of a wise remark this time.

"But you were the one bringing the team together at last, remember?" she smiles softly at Shady, not shying away from the eye contact her members sends her way. She is still referring to Shady when she completes her words, "When Jungkook brought Adora into our room the first time, you were the one who convinced us to hear her out."

Jungkook hadn't felt that strongly about Minji before. But that was a great save and that girl has balls some guys could use. 

"I mean, I understand," Adora chuckles, not looking one bit offended. "We weren't the best neighbors to begin with. And I sort of took advantage of Jungkook's position, so I wanted to apologize to you guys about that for some time now."

The moment she says that, there is a complete mood change in the air. Everybody is suddenly trying to comfort the girl, welcoming the singers into their family and all that. Jungkook doesn't think they are putting on a façade, but he definitely believes the apology must have melted away the last of the iceberg island that had managed to survive.

He feels happy in this moment. He feels grateful that he can share a meal with these people. He is not sure whether they will stay in his life for much longer, especially after their purpose has completed its course. But in the duration that they exist in the same room, under the same contract and through the same bonds, he is willing to consider them as special people in his life.

Jungkook knows that at dinner gatherings with crackheads, you end up playing drinking games one point or the other. No one ever thought of going back home sober when walking through that door anyway, so there they are, playing 007 BANG. Minji is the unexpected weak link, her forehead a minefield from being flicked only four rounds into the game. The game gets only more competitive as people get eliminated each round, even Jungkook himself who thought he was a strong player. Jimin and Ae Cha remain as the two winners of the game, the rest downing shots based on their order of elimination.

The games keep changing, chairs and tables are shuffled around and people start getting tipsier. Before another fun round of Frying Game begins, Jungkook decides to take a quick bathroom break, feeling the need to pee, wash his face and freshen up. He is starting to feel the tiredness of the day kick in, body heavy and mind hazy under the effect of the drinks.

Jungkook doesn't get drunk, at least not that much. No matter how much he drinks (and he had irresponsible nights during his first semester at uni when he felt lonely and overloaded with assignments), he doesn't get drunker than he gets when he is sleepy. He becomes less worrisome and blends into a chill-mode, but never like a Jin who turns into a mouthy ahjussi or a Yoongi who sings trot songs. Yoongi actually believes himself to be a good singer when he is drunk by the way, which is not entirely untruthful, but Jungkook thinks mmmmmaybe, just maybe trot isn't his genre.

By the time Jungkook goes back inside the restaurant there aren't many customers left except for their bustling table of friends, speaking of which are busy hitting Yoongi on the back while singing a loser's song. Jungkook laughs to himself while pulling one of the chairs towards the forsaken edge of the table and snacking on some of the remains. It isn't until a soft pull on his shirt that he feels the presence of someone next to him.

"Jungoo-ah," it's Jimin. He leans his elbows on the table, stealing a peanut from Jungkook's plate. "What are you doing?"

Jungkook feels funny in the sense that he actually wants to make fun of his hyung's silly face, all reddened from the alcohol now. It's the cutest thing he ever witnessed. "Having a bite, what about you? You seem to be enjoying yourself."

Jimin laughs easily at that, both's attention shifting to the loud roars coming from their friends behind them. Jungkook is surprised the staff isn't intervening with the agitation they are causing in the restaurant. 

"I had so much fun today," Jimin turns to Jungkook again. "Do you wanna go for a walk?"

"Huh?" 

Jimin softly chuckles from his nose, this time pressing a peanut past Jungkook's lips.

"Walk," Jimin says more pointedly, tone playful as he smirks at Jungkook's dazed expression. "Weather's good. Let's breathe some night air?"

Jungkook doesn't have to hear it thrice.

The weather is indeed so good that Jungkook would confuse it with a summer night if he were to wake up to that moment with no knowledge about the running season. Their days have been getting warmer now that winter is taking its leave for the year, but it's a slower process than Jungkook would like. He loves the sun, the beach and the seagulls. He can't wait to swap his wardrobe with the thin and flair clothes, go swimming during the mornings and relax under the stars at nights. 

He'd prefer taking night walks with Jimin over all if it were a constant option.

The location of the restaurant is not unfamiliar to both men. It's only a twenty minute walk from Jimin's house, and a ten minute walk away from the park they first met. The Gidae streets are busy and lively tonight: visitors who came for the tournament and city residents strolling around with roasted corn and cotton candies in their hands, puppies hopping up and down as they try reaching the hung lights on the road sides, older couples learning how to take selfies from their grandchildren.

Jungkook loves how homey this city feels. 

He loves the feeling of Jimin's hands on his arm more.

"See that popcorn stand?" the blonde points at a familiar worn-out vendors car sitting at the corner of the street as they approach their frequented café. Jungkook recognizes it a little too well. It's the one thing he loved about this intersection – the stand's existence grounds him because even though he has never seen it in use ever since he moved here, that stand is always there. Outdated, rusty, but always extant.

It comforts him for some strange reason.

 Jimin smiles dearly, pulling Jungkook closer by the arm. "I used to work there on the summers."

Jungkook whips his head, blinking in surprise. "You did?"

Jimin laughs at his interest, nodding cutely. "It belonged to my uncle before he moved to Busan ten years ago. I wasn't legally allowed to work or anything, but he loved me too much so he let me hang around him and serve the customers."

Jungkook doesn't know why but again, some strange fond feeling fills his heart. He loves hearing Jimin talk about himself, his past, his life, his hobbies, his work... anything about him is interesting to hear about. Jungkook's fascination with the smaller man might have to do with his crush, but he can't bring himself to think that there would be one person in the world who wouldn't fall in love with Jimin right at the bat.

"Too bad it's out of service now," Jungkook finds himself pouting, catching Jimin's attention. The blondie holds his gaze for bit and then suddenly jumps out of his reach, hopping to the back of the popcorn-stand.

"Oh, hi there! You are lucky we were just about to close!" he leans his hands on the metal deck, tipping his head outside the frame, teeth on display as he smiles cutely at Jungkook.

Jungkook can't help but laugh at the act, nevertheless goes along with Jimin's little game, approaching the stand and peeking behind the stall. "I must be the luckiest customer in the world!" he gasps, making Jimin giggle. "Well then, shall I have a bag of popcorn?"

"Is that a question? Of course!" Jimin shakes his head like he is offended, pretending to work with his hands. "You shall have two bags of popcorn, if you'd like!"

Jungkook claps his hands once, enthusiastic. "That would be awesome! The other will be for my muse."

"Lovely! Would you like the popcorns salty or sweet?"

"Just a minute!" Jungkook pockets his phone in a rush, fiddling with it, at which coincidental time Jimin's own phone rings. The blonde excuses himself apologetically and picks up the call, only to hear Jungkook's voice from the other side of the line. "Hi Jiminnie hyung, I'm getting us some popcorn from the popcorn-stand and uh, do you like yours salty or sweet?"

Jimin looks absolutely enamored, his already flushed face even redder as he stares at Jungkook in a daze. Jungkook doesn't hesitate to raise an eyebrow at him to push for an answer.

"S-sweet," Jimin breathes out. Jungkook nonchalantly thanks him and hangs up, this time addressing Jimin the clerk charmingly. 

"One salty, one sweet, please."

If Jungkook had topped any cherries with Jimin to that day, this one must have been the cake. Jimin is blushing fiercely, keeping his head down as he continues 'working'. He is smiling too much, eyes never meeting Jungkook's for more than two seconds any time they flicker upwards.

"Do you have any toppings?" Jungkook randomly poses, just to get him to interact. It's fun picking on Jimin when he is flustered.

"Oh," the blonde panics at question and it's adorable how devoted he is to the game. Jungkook has to pinch himself to not snicker at the man's fidgeting, but he can't hold himself back when Jimin bends to the ground and starts collecting some stones and leaves. "Here are your popcorns with organic toppings!" he grins at Jungkook, his full palms extending forward.

After Jungkook lets himself fully laugh Jimin joins him, both men stumbling against each other as they cross the street over to the park. Their sounds blend so well together, ringing through the streets like music. 

"It's been such a long time since I went out like this," Jimin speaks first when they settle at a picnic table nearby, feet dangling off the top where they are seated. Jungkook watches him contently smile, eyes on the bit of sea running through the side of the road. "It must have been months since I drank too. I barely remembered the taste of soju."

"Why not?"

Jimin shrugs, playing with his fingers. "I don't let myself. I remember everything when I'm drunk, so what's the point of drinking, you know?"

Jungkook looks at the direction Jimin is staring at, enjoying the breeze running through his skin. "For fun? People don't always drink to forget."

It's true. Jungkook himself has high tolerance so he doesn't even get drunk until he really really really outdoes himself, which he doesn't in front of other people. He doesn't wanna look like an alcoholic, plus it's not good for his stomach. But that doesn't hold him back from enjoying drinks with his friends when they hang out.

Jimin hums in acknowledgement to his remark. They don't speak for a while after that.

Jungkook is curious about many things when it comes to Jimin. It's like every piece of information he gains from the older one makes him wonder about the next. He wants to ask about his uncle, why they left, if he was sad after, his dreams, his childhood... speaking of which.

"You are really good with kids, hyung. I noticed today," Jungkook points out out of the blue. Memories of their escape from the stadium are coming back to him. "But it makes sense that you are. Afterall, you are paid to babysit one."

Jimin looks at him funnily, nudging his shoulder with his own. "What are you talking about?"

"I can't believe you riled up all those kiddos to whip-slap our rivals."

"Ah, that!" Jimin cracks up, giggling until he is leaning on Jungkook's arm. "It wasn't that hard. They were already in love with you."

"In love with Siin the Swan, not me."

Jimin pokes his stomach. "You are the same people."

"Siin is not even a person. He's a swan. An animal."

He can see Jimin roll his eyes without having to look at him. "Humans are animals too, Jungkook. You see that little doggie?" he points at a random puppy jumping on its owners lap a little bit further on the grass. "He is the same kind as you!"

He is being ridiculous, but that's to heavyweight Jungkook. Jimin sounds very serious.

"You're right," Jungkook says in the end, and he starts barking cutely. "Myeong-myeong!"

It drives Jimin into a laughing coma. He doubles in his lap, falls back at the table, sits back up and squeezes the last of his giggles out of Jungkook's arm. It's like someone is forcefully tickling him at this point but Jimin is, again, very serious about finding that funny. Jungkook doesn't know why but he is laughing too, trying to keep Jimin in place at the same time.

It's a phone ring that irks Jimin out of his state, indeed so fast that the expression on the older man's face fleets away the moment he sees the caller ID on the phone.

"Oh shit," Jimin curses and it's the first time Jungkook has seen him do it. He picks up the call, nervous as he addresses the person. "Hello? Sungwoon?" He is squeezing Jungkook's arm still, but this time it's done unconsciously. "God, you scared the shit out of me." He breathes out, body going limp at the response coming from the other side. His briefly glances at Jungkook, who is pretending to not hear a thing. "Everything's okay then?... Great. I don't know how to thank you, bro... No, seriously. Seriously seriously. You're such a life-saver." Jimin then smiles, bidding the person good night and letting out a huge breath.

Jungkook is preening. It's gonna be awkward but he has to ask, because seeing Jimin panic like that made him worried.

"Are you alright, Jimin hyung?"

Jimin is a little startled when his attention comes back to Jungkook, however smiling easily at him. "Sorry about that, Jungkookie. I had asked Sungwoon to run an errand for me. I just got scared when he called. Couldn't help it."

Jungkook has no fucking idea who Sungwoon is but still nods in understanding. 

He is feeling somewhat uncomfortable regardless. Today made him realize that he had no idea who Jimin's friends are, with whom he hangs out. Why didn't he ask before? But then they have only spent limited amounts of time together... still have a lot to learn about each other. It makes him pout. It feels like a decade has passed since he's been crushing on this guy, yet that inaccessible he still feels to Jungkook.

Adora is probably a closer friend to Jimin than Jungkook himself is. 

It sucks to always be at the loose end of the thread. 

Funny, when he looks back at the past month of his life, there hasn't been a day when he didn't think of Jimin. Is it the thought of liking Jimin, or Jimin himself – Jungkook doesn't have an answer for that – but it's really painful to imagine his life before Jimin had walked into it. 

Earlier when he called Jimin his muse, he meant it with all his heart. His dream is to tell that to Jimin one day, looking into his eyes and seriously making him understand that he really is Jungkook's muse. He came into Jungkook's life in slow-motion but swirled it around like a beautiful fast-winded storm. Smiled at him. Gave him a purpose. Made him believe. 

Now Jungkook wants to make his dream come true.

And regardless of Jimin not wanting him the way Jungkook wants Jimin, he will still make his dream come true at any cost. Because he is that deep in Jimin's eyes that he wants to see them smile regardless of himself being a part of the sparkle. 

"'M tired," Jimin yawns from his shoulder. He is cuddled there like it's a home, small hands circling around Jungkook's arm like he never wants to let go. "Ggukkie... 'm tired."

Jungkook smiles. It was always Jimin doing it to him, but this time his hand is the one finding Jimin's hair, slowly petting it. "Sleep then, hyungie."

Jimin makes a cute squeaking sound, cuddling closer to him.

Jungkook closes his eyes and rests his head against Jimin's. He tries not to get too carried away but his heart is thumping against his chest, head light and body warm. He doesn't want to deny his feelings, so he sits with them, carries Jimin's weight on his side.

As good as the weather is, winter is not entirely gone. The breeze turns cold and unfriendly only a short while later and Jungkook is worried about either of them getting sick, Jimin being the more vulnerable one in his sleep. But he doesn't want to wake him up too, so he manages to gather Jimin on his back, latches his arms around his neck and walks them towards Jimin's house. Thank God they are in the area.

Jimin mumbles in his sleep, Jungkook notices by the time they make it to his street. His voice is cute when it's smashed into Jungkook's clothes, small hands even cuter as they try to find each other from the front. Jungkook has to dodge his face when Jimin gets close to poking him, starts laughing in the middle of the street when Jimin doesn't stop.

Regardless of how tiny he is, Jimin weighs some good kilos at Jungkook's back. The younger boy grunts, telling Jimin to stay quiet as he secures his hands properly under Jimin's thighs and swings him upwards to carry him better. They are able to make it to Jimin's house safely, but little is Jungkook aware of the shadow waiting for them at the porch. 

Jungkook doesn't think much of it from a distance but the closer they get, the more he notices that the guy is specifically posed at the entrance of Jimin's house, unmoving as he watches them. They stare each other down, Jungkook's steps coming to a halt three-to-four feet of distance close.

"What are you doing with Jimin?", is the first Jungkook hears from the stranger. He has rather soft-looking features, neatly combed brown hair that parts right in the middle of his forehead and heart lips. He somehow reminds Jungkook of Jin, but the thought flies away when the stranger urges him impatiently, even daring to take a step forward.

Now that was unnecessary. Jungkook is slightly annoyed. The fact that he knows Jimin doesn't mean he can be rude to other people that know Jimin (that rule only doesn't apply to Jungkook).

"And what are you doing in front of Jimin hyung's house at this hour?" Jungkook poses, raising his chin up, hands tightening around Jimin's legs possessively.

The stranger scoffs, sending a condescending laugh Jungkook's way. "I'm Jimin's best friend, kid. Don't mess with the wrong person."

Jungkook calls him off, tells him he would know Jimin wasn't home now if he really were Jimin's best friend. The guy runs out of patience then, pulling out a picture of him and Jimin from his phone (they're laughing together, which Jungkook doesn't really enjoy looking at), shoving it into Jungkook's face and giving his name. 

Which pretty much causes Jungkook to flush in embarrassment. Because he remembers Jimin addressing the person from the phone as Sungwoon earlier. 

"Now if you'll excuse, I'll help him home. Thanks for bringing him," he says robotically, launching forward to get Jimin but Jungkook is just as quick, reflexively turning his body so that Sungwoon isn't able to get behind him.

"I'll take him inside," Jungkook squares up.

Sungwoon stares at him long for a bit, but then tries ushering in Jimin's direction again and Jungkook is aggressively dodging again.

"I said I'll take him! What the heck is your problem?!"

"You don't have the fucking keys, okay? I do. Why? Because Jimin trusts me. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll have my friend back."

Jungkook's nostrils flare, his chin tipped high stubbornly. He is not going to lose to this douchebag. Who is he to take ownership over Jimin?! Jimin is his own person, can do whatever he wants! Plus, Jimin trusts Jungkook too!

"Jimin-ah!" the guys suddenly starts shouting, not caring the echo of his voice in the whole neighborhood. Fuck him, seriously, Jimin's best friend or not. Jungkook is seriously annoyed. "Jimin-ah, wake up!" he even tries touching Jimin's shoulder but Jungkook yells back at him to stop and now they are having a stupid quarrel in the middle of the street. 

Regardless of how passionate Jungkook is about keeping Jimin close to him, Sungwoon gets really close at some point, He is almost unlatching Jimin from Jungkook's back, if it weren't for the sudden tightening of arms around Jungkook's neck, a sleepy voice whining to not let go.

Both Sungwoon and Jungkook freeze, looking at Jimin who is nearly suffocating Jungkook from how tightly clutching the collar of his shirt. 

"Don't let go, please," repeats Jimin, voice soft and shaky on Jungkook's ear. 

Jungkook can feel his heart drop to his stomach, hands sweaty on Jimin's pants, legs weakening in hold over what he hears. Jimin is making whiny voices, continuously nuzzling into Jungkook. 

"Not you too, don't let me go, please."

Jungkook swallows, head spinning as he tries getting his shit together. He is not sure about hearing right, but he is sure that Jimin is having a nightmare. 

"I'm n-not, I'm here, hyung," Jungkook says weakly, his eyes meeting Sungwoon's over the pavement. There is something bitter in them, something mean that affects Jungkook more than he'd like to admit. 

"Jungkookie..." Jimin whispers, and it drives Jungkook crazy. He wishes he could turn Jimin around and hug him into his arms, decorate his cheeks with kisses and hush him until he is okay. "Gggukie..."

"That's enough. He needs to go to bed," Sungwoon cuts impatiently, coming forward to take Jimin and Jungkook doesn't feel as strong as he did before. His body is trembling and his emotions are all messed up. He feels as if his everything is being taken away from him when Jimins' weight leaves his back. 

Jungkook is cold and lonely while Jimin is being thrown over Sungwoon's shoulder, hands now searching purposelessly for leverage as they dangle in the air. While Sungwoon fiddles with the lock on the door and Jungkook watches them just a few steps away, something happens.

Jungkook is not sure if he's imagining it or if it's real. Maybe he does get drunk but he never realized it. He can't explain how he'd even realize being drunk if he were drunk, but he for sure knows that he's having an out-of-body experience.

He sees Jimin tip his head up over Sungwoon's shoulder, eyes slowly gaping to lock into Jungkook's ones. There is a single tear escaping them as Jimin breathes out.

"I'm sorry for falling for you, even though I wasn't supposed to."

Chills travel down Jungkook's spine, his world seizing to exist as he lets out a weak huh into the foggy night air. But Jimin is not in front of him anymore, neither are his pretty eyes, nor his soft hair, and for that his quest will be carried far away by the wind, lost and unanswered.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

152K 8.6K 27
"Sometimes you forgive people simply because you still want them in your life"
16.2K 929 15
They say that satan could be beautiful.. but Jimin never in his life expected him to be this beautiful.
32.1K 1.7K 22
(FF inspired by the au!edit by pcymin on YouTube) "Love makes you do things...scary things." "Our love is unique, different, psychotic even." "We're...
7.3K 902 10
"There are all kinds of love in this world, but never the same love twice."