Dark Snow White (Grimmoire Se...

By AtomicNicky

What if Snow White wasn't so good after all? Eleanor, the Queen of RedCrest presides over the kingdom with h... More

Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV
Part V
Part VI
Part VII
Part VIII
Part IX
Part XI
Part XII
Part XIII
Part XIV
Part XV
Part XVI
Part XVII
Part XVIII
Part XIX
Part XX
Part XXI
My Next Fairytale Is...
Updates
Cover, Title and Cast
Selected by Once Upon A Time
Wattpad Block Party
New Book Alert - Alice Logs Into Wonderland
2018
2019

Part X

7.2K 348 37
By AtomicNicky

"Wha... what did you say?"

Orion heard the Queen perfectly well, he just couldn't believe what he was hearing.
"It's the only way. You know I wouldn't ask if I had any other choice. You kill her and the nightmare is finally over," Eleanor's voiced quivered with hopeful desperation.

"El, that is outright murder," whispered Orion. The Queen could tell the Huntsman was struggling with this. "We've both taken many a life in our time," replied Eleanor, raising her eyebrow, "When she goes on her nightly walk, an accident could befall her. I'll be with Floran, nobody knows about you and I. It's the perfect cover."

"She's just a girl, a mad girl, no doubt. What has she done? What, without a shadow of a doubt has she done? What have you seen with your own eyes?" demanded Orion, wanting to bring an end to this insanity.

"Why just before I got here, she accosted me in my room, she said she wanted to get her hands on my son, my fortune and my kingdom," said the Queen, holding back tears, "she also upset my dearest dog Edward." Orion studied Eleanor's face - she was telling the truth.

The Huntsman pondered for a moment. He walked over to the window and looked out.

"An axe to the chest then I'll throw her to the wild boars, nobody would ever know," he said with a professional dignity. Eleanor, closed her eyes and exhaled with quiet relief. "You'll say you heard screams of a woman, but by the time you tracked her down it was too late," finished the Queen.

Orion turned around from the window, resting against the sill, to face Eleanor.

"Tomorrow evening. I'll stay in with the Cleric and Floran, you dispose of Snow, then run to the castle to alert us of the horrible tragedy that has befallen our guest," conspired El.

"El are you really sure? She's just a girl," said Orion apologetically, still struggling at the thought "No, she's not," laughed the Queen. Eleanor walked over to the front door. Turning the handle, she looked back to handsome lover.

"I'm surprised at you Orion. Don't let her pull the wool over your eyes, too," said Eleanor, defiantly slamming the door.

* * *

At the breakfast table, Snow and Floran ate in complete silence. Unable to bear it any longer, Floran decided to break the silence.

"I'm helping the grand cleric today," announced Floran. "How proper," replied Snow curtly, continuing to eat. "Have you got any plans for today?" asked Floran. "Yes," replied Snow. "Such as... ?" prompted Floran.

Snow stopped eating, placing her knife and fork down on her dish. "It doesn't feel right to tell you of my plans, since I have been demoted to a mere acquaintance," said Snow with a sting of indignance.

"There's no need to be like that," said Floran. "Like what?" asked Snow, rhetorically, "I'm simply honouring your wish as to not burden you with the ongoings of my life. Now if you'll excuse me. No need to stand."

Snow stood up and left. Floran remained seated.

* * *

The Grand Cleric and Floran each held one end of the altar's cloth. Starting in the middle, they spread the cloth out to the edges of the altar, a golden tassel hanging at each corner. The Castle's Ball room had begun its transformation for the Dwarf's Remembrance Service.

"You know what the saddest thing about all of this is," asked the Cleric, clearly about to give the answer, "They had nobody to share their lives with."

"That's not true, they had each other," responded Floran, curious about the Cleric's phrasing. "Of course you are correct Prince Florin and such a blessing it was to have six friends so close," said the Cleric, adjusting one of the cloths. He took a breath, trying to figure out how to get his message across, "Closeness with friends and family is one thing, but closeness with someone special is an entirely different kind of fulfillment."

Floran was listening intently and had completely stopped helping. "Everything before my wonderful wife Telia, was like a dream, another lifetime ago. I'm afraid I'd be entirely lost without her," the Cleric finished. He saw the wick of a candle was slightly askew and straightened it with his fingers, "Ah, there. All done."

"That's everything?" asked Floran, looking around. Lots of white cloths with gold lining, white and red candles and other tiny, ceremonial statues that Floran didn't recognise. "Yes, my dear boy, it is ready" said the Cleric, somberly. "Such a shame all these beautiful trimmings and adornments should be spent on a funeral," said Floran, rubbing some of the linen between his fingers.

"Well, it's not a funeral, but rather a celebration of an ending to this life and beginning their next stage of existence," said the Cleric with an element of wonder. He loved it when he was able to teach people new ideas.

"What do you mean by that?" asked Floran, inquisitively. "We live multiple lives during one lifetime and I'm sure death is no different. Every time we experience change in this life, big change, it is like being born again. We vaguely remember who we were, sometimes we weep for the past, sometimes we are glad to be rid of it. Regardless, we are forever changed and thereby living a new life," said the Cleric, flattening out some cloth that had bunched together.

"You speak as if new lives are caused by fate, but what if you had the choice whether or not to start a new life?" the Prince asked, sitting on a nearby chair, draped in white and gold cloth.
"Should a blessing come to you that would mean starting afresh, I always advise taking the opportunity with both hands, thank the universe and never let it go," said the Cleric, acting out his words with his own hands.

"What if you're unsure if it's the right decision," asked Floran, invested. "You have many questions. All of which can be answered by listening to the wisest of all teachers, your heart," said the Cleric, knowingly.

The Cleric bowed to the altar, then turned to Floran.

"The Dwarfs are ready for the next phase of their lives," said the Cleric, turning to Floran, "The question is, are you?"

As the Cleric left the room, Floran remained seated, deep in thought.

* * *

Orion was toiling outside his home, sharpening his small axes. Back and forth, back and forth. He picked one up and looked closely at the blade. The sun shone off the point it was so sharp.

In a swift motion, he readied the axe in his hand and threw it at a tree. It embedded deep into the trunk of the tree, like a hot knife through butter.

* * *

It was getting late and that meant Snow was about to go out for her evening walk. Floran had to catch her before she left the castle. He looked around corners and ran up and down hallways until finally he found her, just leaving her room.

"There you are!" he said relieved, panting. "Yes, I'm running a little late for my stroll," said Snow, confused, "What's going on?"

"I have done some soul searching," began Floran, taking Snow's hands in his, "And to put it simply, I wish to reaffirm our commitment." Floran looked deeply into Snow's eyes, smiling. Snow withdrew her hands from his.

"I don't know about that," Snow said, shaking her head, "A moment ago you said we should be apart. I don't know what to make of your flipping and flopping."

"I was confused before, but not anymore," pleaded Floran. "What happens if you change your mind again, hmm?" asked Snow. "I won't, I'm sure," exclaimed Floran. "You seemed so sure before," retorted Snow.

"I thought you'd be glad to hear me say those words," said Floran, excitement fading. "Exactly what kind of woman do you think I am? Some low-class trollop who'll throw herself at a man the second he shows interest?" Snow snapped. Floran was flabbergasted.

"I'm a gentle woman with a tender heart Floran and you're acting like a child who got tired of playing with his toy and suddenly wants it back when he might lose it forever," reasoned Snow.

"Please Snow, I beg you, lets be together, forever this time. There's nothing else in the world I want more," said Floran with clear desperation.

"I'm going to have to think about it. I need to clear my head," said Snow, walking away.

"Please, take all the time you need," said Floran. He called out "Snow," she stopped and turned back. "I love you," he said, hopefully.

Snow walked away, placing her hands inside her fluffy white handwarmer. Thinking about the conversation that just transpired, she raised her eyebrow, smiling an evil smile.

* * *

The truth was Snow White had Floran right where she wanted him.

Actual snow had begun to fall earlier in the evening. It was only a light fall, but it was still lovely.

She knew what her answer to Floran would be. Just a matter of how much she'll make him beg, prove his love. Snow thought about how much jewelry she would soon be owning, when suddenly,  she stopped walking. Snow had the sensation that she was being watched. Her eyes darted around, but nothing. Onward she went.

Snow came into a clearing, the same clearing she walked through every night. It was in the shape of an almost perfect circle, surrounded by bushes, shrubs and trees. Snow loved being in there by herself. It felt magical. But tonight, when she entered the circle, she wasn't alone.

"Hello Snow," said Orion, hands behind his back. Snow studied him for a moment, "Huntsman, right? Out for a late night hunt?" "Something like that," Orion answered, revealing an axe in each hand.

Snow instantly realised what was going on.

"Before we begin, may I ask why?" she said, removing her handwarmer. "When you make an enemy of the Queen, you make an enemy of me," said Orion, not taking his eyes off Snow.

In the briefest moment, Snow's eyes darted to the side of the clearing to a bush, Orion followed her eyes over there. His finely, tuned hunting senses enabled him to scan the bush in a second, but he didn't spot anything unusual.

"But why would you care about what the Queen... oh... OH," said Snow, the invisible puzzle pieces falling into place in her head, "You and Eleanor? I almost respect her now knowing that."

"Too bad she'll never know of your newfound respect," said Orion.

The moment he finished that sentence, Orion threw one of his axes with pin-point accuracy at Snow. But in that same moment, Snow's eyes flashed a pink glow and from the bush leapt a deer. It jumped in front of Snow, taking the full impact of Orion's axe, burying the blade deep within its body.

"Look at what you did," said Snow, like a teacher chastising a naughty student. Orion was bewildered at what he'd just seen. He didn't move. Snow walked over to the deer, it was still alive, barely.

She ran her fingers over it's majestic antlers, before finding a grip. With a sharp, strong twist, she put the animal out of its misery.

"What are you? What is your gift, or should I say, curse?" asked Orion, confounded.

"I am the fairest in all the land. The future Queen. The woman whom every man will love and every woman will wish to be," Snow said, confidently.

"You talk as if you have loved ones, but nobody loves you. You've never tried to contact anyone since you got here. You haven't any family. You haven't any friends," said Orion, readying his other axe.

"Silly boy," Snow giggled to herself. She opened her eyes, glowing pink again. Animals emerged from bushes all around and stepped into the clearing. Deers, stags, boars, horses - eyes all glowing pink.

"Wherever there are animals - I have friends."

Orion became encircled by the animals. He brandished his axe, trying to spook them, but no luck. The pink eyes nullified their animal instincts.

Snow sung out a battle cry. The animals charged at Orion. Horns, teeth and claws pierced Orion's skin from every angle. He cried out in pain.

* * *

Eleanor couldn't understand what was taking Orion so long. She was getting quite worried. "Anything the matter, my Queen?" asked the Cleric. "Oh, no, just the impending Rememberance Ceremony," lied Eleanor, "I must not keep you any longer, you will be needing your rest for tomorrow."

"Indeed I shall," smiled the Cleric, "Goodnight." The Queen escorted him from the drawing room and as soon as he was out of sight, she raced off to her bedroom.

In her chambers, she went straight over to her window. Eleanor looked out towards the forest, waiting for Orion. Any minute now he'd come running and Eleanor had to be ready to put on the performance of a lifetime once he announced that Snow was dead.

There was a rustling at the edge of the forest and a figure emerged. Eleanor's heart leap. She sighed, heavily relieved. The figure moved into some better light and Eleanor's heart sank. It was not the Huntsman, but Snow White.

"Orion," gasped Eleanor, clutching her chest.

* * *

Floran was waiting near the castle door for Snow's return. Due to her lateness, he had nodded off. "Floran!" exclaimed Snow.

Snow frightened six-months-good out of the Prince. "Snow," he said half asleep, trying to maintain some dignity, "how was your walk?" "Uneventful," she said dismissively, "Listen, I've thought about what you said, and I don't think we should get back together."

Floran was crestfallen.

"No, I think we should get married," beamed Snow.

Floran was so shocked he couldn't even speak. Snow continued "It doesn't have to be a big, fancy affair, it can be just for us. So that we know what we mean to one another. Let's marry right now while the Grand Cleric is still here..."

Floran just couldn't bring himself to form words. Snow took his hands in hers.

"It'd be our little secret," she purred in his ear. Floran smiled his goofy smile.

* * *

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

172K 9.4K 51
Don't get frostbitten while reading this dark, gripping, passionate retelling of Snow White. Icelyn, the princess of the Winter Realm, is being used...
2.6K 1.1K 39
16 + For mature themes such as war, gore, violence, triggering content such as mental health issues, brief mention of rape/sexual assault, curse word...
70.6K 4.7K 16
What if Snow White's prince wasn't the prince she hoped would come? In this Snow White retelling, Princess Wynter is grieving over her father's death...
Ehrhart By Booky Wookiee

General Fiction

767 160 32
Anastasia is the daughter of the Evil Queen's feared huntsman. One day she goes to the well to get water for the palace stablehands and meets a beaut...