Slauson Nights

By TerrestrialParadise

Two single parents finding peace within their hectic lives More

1| Down On My Luck
2| Double Up
3| Can't Take My Eyes Off You
4| Drunk Decisions
5| She Works Hard For The Money
6| Missing Piece
7| Ride Around
8| Feelings in The Hills
9| Get Away
10| Speechless
11| Forever Thing
12| Ackin Funny
14| Black Parade
15|Biggest Gang in Amerikkka
16| By Your Side
17| Herstory
18| Rain
19| Thunderstorm
20| Rainbow

13| Summon Mama Bear

4K 381 183
By TerrestrialParadise

I was in full force at the clothing store creating my art pieces for the show that was in three weeks, wiping my forehead with my forearm I huffed noticing the paint was running low and wouldn't last for another painting.

Checking my phone for the time I placed my hands on my hips sighing, I had only ten minutes before I needed to pick up Kam and Emani from school, a hand touched the small of my back.

"Why you looking like that?"

"Just thinking about picking the kids up and getting more paint" Ermias stepped forward looking at my unfinished artwork nodding his head.

"You was gonna walk to the paint shop up the block?"

"Yeah after I get the kids"

"I'll get them, you in the zone so go get your stuff"

"You sure? He nodded rubbing my back.

"Yeah you getting them that one day with the Uber was a one time thing, I'm gonna work on you getting a whip"

With my hourly wage and budgeting in a month I would be able to afford buying my own car, the last thing I wanted was Ermias coming out of pocket for me anymore.

"I can get my own just have to save up"

"You my wifey now you can't tell me no when I wanna provide for you"

"This is one thing I'm willing to fight you on, I wanna be able to proud that I did something on my own"

"I can respect that" I picked up my fanny pack putting it around my waist tucking my phone into it, Ermias snaked his hand with rolled money into my fanny pack.

"I have more than enough babe"

"Just in case I don't need you walking around with no cash"

I checked around the store to see if anyone was watching us but everyone was busy doing their own thing, I got on my tippy toes pecking his lips.

"You'll be getting this back" I referred to the knot in my fanny back that weighed it down "I'll be back in a few tell Kam to text me when you get him"

"I gotchu be safe and I love you"

"You too and I love you too"

Making my way outside I soaked in the sun brightly shining down on me, walking towards the paint shop I thought about the colors I needed and the colors I wanted to try.

"NO JUSTICE NO PEACE, PROSECUTE THE POLICE"

A small crowd on each side of the intersection of Slauson and Crenshaw posted up in each gas station with signs and their fist high in the air.

"What's going on?" I asked someone with a sign.

"They killed another black man"

My heart skipped a beat and my palms became sweaty, I raised my fist in support while walking past the crowds that were growing.

Kierra: Be careful getting the kids it's protest happening.

Ermias: You on foot and I ain't comfortable with that cause LAPD out here heavy, once I get the kids we coming to the paint shop to scoop you.

I knew better than to reply to Ermias that I would be alright, he wasn't asking he was telling and I respected that.

I read a few more signs seeing the name George Floyd repeatedly plastered on them, with shaky hands I dug into my fanny pack to take out my phone and look up the name.

The video I couldn't stomach, my eyes were blurry nearing the paint shop seeing the owner with boards lined up outside.

"You are my last customer before I close"

"You are shutting down?" I asked the older black woman watching two men put up the boards on some of her windows.

"It's a lot of emotion and rage right now and reports of looting so I have to, get as much paint as you need I'll discount it"

I nodded my head entering the store grabbing a  small cart since Ermias was coming to get me this time I could grab way more.

I rushed filling the cart with supplies, the sound of glass breaking stopped me in my foot steps.

"Y'all hurry up they already starting at the gas station" The owner yelled frantically " Honey just take what you can and come on so I can lock up"

I pushed the cart remembering the cash Ermias gave me and although a lot I felt compelled to hand her the money.

"The paint doesn't cost this much"

"Please take it, thank you for letting me in"

She rushed behind the counter giving me bags, on any other day she would bag my things up nice and neat but under these circumstances she rushed me out the door and I didn't mind and I understood her fear.

I squatted down bagging my items up waiting Ermias to arrive.

"Oh my Lord" My gaze shifted from what I was doing to the black smoke building from the car inside of the gas station across the intersection.

Kierra: Did Ermias get you?

My anxiety increased watching the crowd grow tremendously, the sound of alarms and breaking glass put me on edge, I got up to help the owner with her windows.

"Lemme help" I held the board letting the men drill it in securely " I have an idea"

I rushed to my bag getting a gallon of my black paint and a new large paint brush I had, cracking the gallon open with my apartment key I spelled out big and quickly " BLACK OWNED BUSINESS"

"Thank you darling, when I can open back up you can have whatever you want free of charge"

I smiled weakly not wanting anything in return for something I wanted to do, I checked my phone seeing Kameron had replied.

Kam: Mom we got pulled over, it's a lot of cops

"When will they stop!" The owner shouted pointing her hand, I followed it seeing Ermias black Jaguar his hands out the window and the kids in the back seat guns were drawn on all of them.

"That's my husband and kids"

I screamed hauling ass out on the intersection, my heart pounding out of my chest.

"Y'all go help her I'll guard her stuff"

Cars honked at me while I ran out in front of them towards the cops, I could hear a gun cocking in the direction of the back seat.

"NO!"

I placed myself as a barrier between the car and the cops, guns pointed in my face and chest.

"You need to fucking move"

The cop shouted in my face, I stood y'all swallowing any fear I had because in this moment I needed to protect my black husband and kids.

"No!"

"Somebody help her"

I could hear the owner of the craft shop shouting the the growing crowd, my eyes didn't move I kept them directed on the cop with the gun pointed directly in between my eyes.

"Mom" I heard Kameron cry from the backseat, I held out my wrist.

"You wanna harass somebody harass me, arrest me but what I'm not gonna let you do is hurt my husband or my fucking kids"

"We have suspicion that your husband has guns in the car with your kids" One cop smirked.

"How could you have suspicion when you didn't search his car? You see kids in the backseat and your first thought is to point guns at them?"

"Every one is a suspect now you need to move or you will be arrested for delaying our investigation"

"I'm not going no fucking where so either you gonna arrest me or put a bullet between my eyes" I barked pushing my head against the gun.

"Yo they got guns on them" I could hear an unknown voice shout and the crowd that seemed off at a distance were now running in our direction, pushing their way through the cops and linking themselves around myself and Ermias car.

"You are hindering our investigation move or be arres-

The cop paused seeing the mob coming towards his fellow officers pelting rocks and glass bottles.

"Get back!" He ordered running to their cop cars that were being destroyed with any object the people could get their hands on, the groups stayed linked around us until the cops rushed off.

"Thank you, thank you" I bent over forward sobbing clutching my chest overwhelmed with emotion.

Ermias exited his car greeting everybody and thanking them, I turned to the car snatching open the back door pulling both fear stricken kids into my arms.

"Y'all are okay" I hugged them both tightly.

"They were trying to kill us"

Emani cried wiping her face, I rubbed her hair softly.

"I wasn't gonna let that happen"

I kissed Kamerons head a few times getting out the car, Ermias pulled me into his arms.

"Don't do that shit anymore" He hugged me tightly.

"I couldn't lose y'all"

"We can't lose you either don't do that shit no more"

"Put her things in the car"

The owner of the craft shop told her helpers, Ermias popped the trunk assisting them.

At that moment I thanked God for keeping my family safe and all I wanted now was justice for anyone who was in my position that didn't make it out alive.

Breonna Taylor
George Floyd
Rayshard Brooks
Atatiana Jefferson
Sandra Bland
Stephon Clark
Philando Castille
Alton Sterling
Michelle Cusseaux
Freddie Gray

I am too fucking tired, enough is enough.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

51 1 16
Jenna Howard, a high school student in her senior year doesn't know how to distract herself from her nightmares,which are caused by two things, her...
3.2K 74 19
Nipsey 'Bluely' Hussle born and raised in Los Angeles near Hyde Park near Slauson and Crenshaw. Bluely wanted better for his hood. Telling them he ha...
1.6K 50 25
+ Hood drama about Nip meeting a classy elite entreprenuer he would later give her a cool nickname. Meanwhile Nip is living his best life. beginning...
1.6K 75 19
𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒚 𝒑𝒍𝒂𝒚𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒘𝒊𝒎𝒎𝒆... 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒊𝒐𝒏 𝒈𝒐𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒌𝒆𝒚 𝒕𝒐 𝒚𝒐 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒕