Glass and Thorns [Miraculous]

By chats_lady

"You made flowers grow in my lungs and, although they are beautiful, I cannot breathe." ~ ā„ļø Chat Noir's hear... More

one // hanahaki disease
two // glass heart
three // petals are hard to hide
four // i need a doctor
five // cuddles & texting
six // i'll make you want me
seven // confessions in the bathroom
eight // dancing in the paris night
nine // chat noir revealed
ten // ice cream date
eleven // connecting the dots
twelve // rain
thirteen // the prince who broke the princess
fourteen // she's dying, idiot.
fifteen // adrien is a bitch, so i've heard
sixteen // i'm still here, don't give up on me!
eighteen // may 3rd
nineteen // no one is smarter than milady
twenty // goodbye

seventeen // goodbye, milady.

3.3K 235 456
By chats_lady

Chat Noir's POV

Every pair of eyes in Paris were glued to milady and I.

"I thought I lost you..." I whisper.

"I will never leave you, kitty," she giggles.

I feel a smile creep up on my face. I brush a stand of hair behind her ear, and trace my finger across her chin to her lips.

"I love you, Milady."

"I love you too, my prince."

I pull her close and dip kiss her, holding her carefully in my arms. Crowds cheer around us.

I pull away, but she pulls me close to her. We lace our lands together and rest our foreheads on each other's. Cherry blossom trees scatter their petals and they fall around us, tinting the world with a lovely pink. We stare into each other's eyes. Her eyes sparkle with love and joy, which sends butterflies flying in my stomach.

Instantly, reporters rush to the scene, sticking microphones in every direction we look. I forgot that the public didn't know about our relationship. We've kept it a secret for so long that it didn't even really feel like a secret. Ladybug just runs her hands through my hair and giggles. We both smile with our eyes closed, with our fingers still laced together.

"How long have you two been together?" Asks a reporter.

"Have you always had feelings for Chat Noir, Ladybug?" Asks another.

We stare at each other and blink, then burst out in laughter. We've never had so many questions asked after an akuma battle, ever. I pull her close and wrap my arm around her, trying to think of an answer to tell the reporters.

I've never been so happy in my life. I wish this feeling would never go away.

Suddenly, another reporter sticks their microphone in my face.

"How does it feel knowing that your love of your life is fifteen-year-old Marinette Dupain-Cheng?"

Silence.

I freeze and look at Milady.

"Y-You know?" Asks Ladybug, suddenly more quiet.

"Of course. We were watching from behind the buildings." The reporter informs. "Anyways, do you know who Chat Noir is under the mask?"

I feel Ladybug's grip around my arm tighten.

"I thought everyone was sent to the shadow realm. I... I didn't think anyone would see me in my civilian from," she replies, with her voice cracking.

The reporter shoves the microphone in her face. "Now the whole world knows your secret identity, Ladybug. Anything you would like to share?"

Cameras flash. More reporters arrive on the scene and stick their news microphones in our faces. People shove and push, trying to get close to us. Bright light from the news station's trucks blinds us. I feel Ladybug move closer to me. I hold her tightly and rub her back, trying to keep her calm.

"Marinette Dupain-Cheng, how do your classmates feel about knowing you're Ladybug?"

Ladybug bites her lip. "I-"

Another reporter interrupts. "Marinette, how often do you skip class to fight akumas?"

"Well-"

"Marinette, how many people did you lie to, to hide your identity?"

Cameras flash and I shield my eyes. Reporters shove as they try to get close to us. There's crowds of people surrounding us from every direction. News station cameras are shoved in our faces, recording each and everyone of our reactions live. I feel Ladybug's heart beat rapidly rise.

"Marinette Dupain-Cheng," a reporter interrupts, shoving his way to the front of the crowd. "We have your parents back by our news truck by the Eiffel Tower. What do you want to say?"

I quietly gasp and peer at the base of the Eiffel Tower. Sure enough, Marinette's parents are huddled together, surrounded by reporters, just like we are. Sabine is crying, and Tom is holding her. They're shaking. Their own daughter was risking her life everyday and they had no clue.

"Do you think your parents are proud?" The reporter asks. "Many concerned parents in Paris think your parents are careless, and are thinking about calling child care services. What do you have to say about this?

Ladybug puts her hand on my chest and looks up at me.

She's crying.

"Everyone, back away!" I shout with my voice echoing throughout the streets.

Reporters don't move.

"I said move, or I'll use my cataclysm!" I yell, praying that they don't know I can't use it twice.

Once more, the crowd stays put. My heart starts beating fast. This is bad.

I recognize people in the crowd. Our classmates. Chloe's face is pale white, covering her mouth from shock. Nathaniel clutches his notebook close to his chest, muttering words to himself. Luka's eyes shut tight while biting his lip and his shoulders are shaking.

Reporters quickly forget my warning and violently shove their way back, carelessly shoving their microphones close in our faces and demanding us to answer their questions.

"Chat Noir, does Ladybug know who you are under the mask? Can she even trust you?"

"Ladybug, how could you cruelly lie to your number one fan, your best friend who runs the Ladyblog, for over a year?"

"Chat Noir, the world is disappointed that Marinette is Ladybug. What is your opinion on the matter?"

Ladybug grips my arm and presses her head against my chest, overwhelmed. I quickly dart my eyes looking every which-way for an exit, but it's useless. Reporters won't stop squeezing and pushing us, trying to get us to answer their questions. The chatter amongst the crowd has turned to shouting and screaming. Moving throughout the crowd has turned into outright shoving. Innocent questions have turned into intense and heartless interrogation. I squeeze Ladybug's hand tightly.

"Marinette, some classmates informed us that you have a crush on Adrien Agreste, your classmate and world-famous model," a reporter suddently informs us.

I flinch at the sound of my name, but it's not my civilian life that concerns me. I look over to my side and stare at my girlfriend, who's terrified and can't move. Her feet are rooted to the ground. She stands stiff with her eyes staring intensely at the cement. Her grip around my arm tightens even more.

"Are the rumors true? Is Chat Noir just a rebound?" The reporter asks, standing her ground and not giving up. "Is the one you truly love Adrien Agreste?"

"No," she mutters still staring at the ground. "I really, truly do love Chat Noir. He's the love of my life. He isn't just some rebound. I love Chat Noir with all of my heart and soul."

The reporter seems disappointed. "Then why aren't you looking at us and answering the question?"

I open my mouth to jump in, but I'm interrupted by coughing. Loud coughing. Ladybug's grip loses and she falls to the ground, not moving. I drop to my knees and hold her head in my lap, and gasp. Blood slowly drips out of her mouth accompanied by petals.

"L-Ladybug?" I whisper, my face white from shock.

Her eyes weakly flutter open. She tries to stand back up, but collapses in my arms. Her eyes slowly close again. Her arm slips from her stomach and onto the ground, and her chin tilts upwards as her head falls limp.

Without a second thought, I pick Milady up bridal style and extend my baton, shooting us into the sky. Almost instantaneously the chatter from below stops. Not knowing where to go, I make our way to Marinette's house.

I glance at her limp body as we sour through the sky. Her face is pale. Her mouth is slightly open and blood oozes out. Her breathing is slow. Sweat drops fall down her forehead. I quickly whip my head back to look at the direction we're going because I know that if I look at her any longer, I'll collapse in violent sobs.

I land on her balcony and quickly slip through her trap door, sliding into her bedroom and landing on her wooden floor with her still in my arms. I gently sit on the floor and rest myself against her wall.

"My kitten?"

I glance down at her and my heart breaks. Her eyes are only half open. She gently places one hand on my cheek and sighs.

"M-Milady!" I shout, tears forming in my eyes. "What happened?! Is it the-"

"-Hanahaki disease," she mumbles. "Yeah, it is."

"Just confess your love, then!" I frantically yell.

She sighs and slowly shakes her head, resting her body in my arms. I lean close and hug her tight, knowing that every second is valuable right now.

After a moment of us tightly embracing, she pulls away and says her de-transformation words. A flash of bright pink light fills the room and Marinette replaces where Ladybug once weakly layed in my arms.

"How long have you had the disease?" I whisper, gently rubbing my thumb on her cheek.

"Oh, I don't know at this point," she coughs out, petals still falling out of her mouth. "It feels like forever."

I squeeze her hand tightly and look at her in her dim blue eyes. Her eyes used to be warm and vivid, like a bright blue sky that would accompany clear teal waves at the beach, but now they're lifeless and tired. They're glassy. Empty. Alone.

I sigh.

"Why won't you just tell the boy you love him?" I ask, quietly.

"Chat?"

"Yeah?"

"Why are you crying?"

I open my eyes wide, not realizing that tears were falling down my cheeks. I quickly look away and try and hide from her my emotions, but she grabs my chin and faces it towards her.

"Kitty..." she murmurs. "...please answer me. What's wrong?"

She smiles, but there is sadness behind her grin.

I hold her in my arms and look at her delicate features. I try and open my mouth but nothing comes out. My cat ears press flat against my head. My tail droops down to the ground and I quickly find myself not being able to think straight. My vision is quickly blurred. My chest grows hot and my shoulders start to shake.

"I... I just wish you had told me that you liked someone else..." I mutter, biting my lip.

Marinette gasps and sits up, and places her hands on my shoulder.

"No, kitty, no! I love you, I truly do!" She quickly explains, "but, there's this other boy..."

I feel my heart break in my chest.

"Tell me about him," I mumble. "Why do you like him?"

She gently smiles, even though the thorns are choking her every move.

"He's sweet, charming, but most importantly, kind. I love his fluffy blond hair and his pearly white teeth. His tan skin sends shivers down my spine," she giggles, embarrassed.

Even though every word she says breaks my heart even more, I fight the urge to cry. Marinette is happy. I want her to be happy.

"What's your favorite thing about him?" I ask.

She stays quiet for a second, thinking. I stare at her as we sit in her room. Her fan gently blows in the corner. The muffled sound of cars honking and bustling can be heard through her window. The sun peaks through the clouds and rests on her wooden floor, making the wood look more saturated.

"His cheerfulness," she finally replies. "He lost his mother and doesn't know what happened to her. His father is mean and ruthless. He couldn't even have his own birthday party, yet, he still manages to have a smile on his face all the time."

I stop breathing and look up at her with teary filled eyes.

It's me. Plagg was right. Marinette likes me.

Me.

"His birthday party?!" I tease, instantly feeling better. "Wow, how cruel!"

She giggles and cuddles up next to me. "Yeah, I know right!"

"Did you at least get him something?"

"I made him a scarf by my own hand. The present somehow got messed up and he mistakenly thought his father gave it to him," she gently explains. "I could have told him that the scarf was my present to him, but I couldn't bare to break the news to him. He seemed so happy, Chat. I want him to be happy."

My heart pounds in my chest, filling my stomach with butterflies. Marinette made that scarf for me. Marinette's hands touched the scarf. Marinette spent precious time making it for me. Marinette thought of me the whole time.

But most importantly, Marinette sacrificed her gift to me to make me happy.

I have to tell her.

I have to tell her that I'm Adrien.

"Marinette, I have to tell you something..." I start to explain with my cat ears pressed against my hair.

"Chat... I am so, so tired..." She squeezes out.

"Huh?" I ask, surprised.

Her half-opened eyes look at me with pain. Blood covered petals slowly force their way up and spill out off her mouth.

"Are you okay, princess?" I ask, concerned.

Thick tears slowly start to fall down her cheeks. She grabs her throat, collapsing into my arms. She shivers and cuddles up next to me. Her eyes shut tight, taking in the little bit of oxygen she has left.

"You were right, chat..." Marinette squeezes out, blood spilling from her mouth.

"Marinette?!" I shout, grabbing her shoulders.

"I should have t-told him...!" she chokes.

"Marinette!"

She takes in her last gasp of air.

"I should have told Adrien Agreste I loved him!"

And in an instant, the color in her eyes disappears. Her breath slips from her mouth. Her gaze quickly un-focuses and her expression melts into a blank face. Her shoulders drop and she falls backwards into my arms, with her mouth opening. Roses sprout out of her mouth and bloom, stained red from her blood.

"Marinette?" I whisper, holding her in my arms.

Her body falls limp, and her lifeless eyes stare straight ahead.

"Marinette?!" I repeat, louder this time, with violent tears spilling down my body.

Her breathing slows to a stop. Flowers have completely blocked her mouth. My eyes open wide, and I shake my head.

"No, Marinette, no!" I shout, shaking her shoulders. "Marinette! MARINETTE!"

She doesn't move.

"MARINETTE!" I scream, shaking my head and holding her in my arms. "Marinette, it's me! I'm Adrien Agreste! It's me!"

I shake her shoulders, begging her to wake up, begging for her eyes to open, begging for her warmth to return to her skin. But no such wish is granted.

"Plagg, claws in!" I cry, holding my girlfriend's lifeless body in my arms. "Marinette, please!"

Her head drops to the side with her eyes still open, with a glossy, life-less look in them. Her skin is cold to the touch. Her pulse has stopped and the newly-bloomed flowers have completely blocked her breathing.

She must have known what was coming. She must have known that she couldn't stop the petals from falling, that she couldn't prevent her own death. She must have, because someone who knows that they're going to die has time to think about their death. She just spent time with me thinking about all the things that she didn't do in her life, and I never knew.

"MARIENTTE!" I scream, hugging her lifeless body and holding her tightly. "Come back to me, please! It's me, Adrien!"

Nothing but silence greets me in return.

"Marinette, please! I can't lose you, I just can't!" I sob.

I shut my eyes tight and tears fly off my cheeks.

"I LOVE YOU!"

This time, silence doesn't greet me.

But it isn't Marinette's movement, her laughter, or her voice.

It's a sound. A flutter of a butterfly...

...and the sound that follows when it akumatizes my ring.

Make sure to upvote. The next chapter is intense.

- Melody

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

124K 3.8K 19
NOTE: This fanfiction happens directly after season 2 ep 9 of the miraculous ladybug. I recommend you watch it before reading this fanfiction. Marine...
351K 14.7K 31
31 days. 31 days to fall in love. The 31st to say good-bye, to break your heart. December ends, January begins. But those 31 days aren't going to lea...
20.2K 829 61
Marinette Dupain-Cheng struggles with the responsibility of being Paris's superhero, getting accepted into colleges and getting over unrequited love...
1.6M 49.9K 47
"I just don't understand, Chat. I thought...all this time...," she clenched her fists at her sides and stared up at him, "What changed?" Chat Noir st...