Jewel

By princessbri77

I'm just a girl trying to find a place in this world. After my parents died, life turned into a Cinderella s... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Epilogue

Chapter 19

401 11 1
By princessbri77

*19 years old*

This year has been a world wind for me. I didn't have much time to wallow in my self-pity of missing Blake because work and school have kept me super super busy. I flew up to Washington to help Blake get settled in his dorm and that probably wasn't the greatest of ideas because the time came when I had just started to be okay with not seeing him. We called and skyped at least three times a week, but I still miss him terribly.

Work has been... interesting. The first fashion show for me was a complete disaster and I seriously thought I was going to be fired. I went out of turn on accident and didn't walk or pose right on the runway, but the subsequent shows and photo shoots went significantly better.

Lauren isn't that bad of a person after all, she just likes to have fun. She takes care of me well though and she can always tell when I'm a bit off or need something. She was extremely helpful in the first few weeks as I was getting settled and adjusted to my new life in L.A. We actually hang out a lot outside of work and we go out to lunch or shopping or see a movie or something.

She also gave my entire wardrobe a make over. She insisted that if I am truly working for Elite, then I need to look as good on the runway as I do off the runway. I can't exactly say that I miss my old clothes. I desperately needed to revamp my style, I just didn't know how. I was never into that kind of stuff much.

Now I wear skirts and dresses all the time and I have learned how to match them with the right wedges and scarfs or jewelry. I actually take time to do something more with my hair than simply brush it, and I have recently mastered the art of winged eyeliner. I bought a few more purses and I feel like a totally new person. Well not exactly a new person, but a better, improved version of me. I did keep my converse sneakers though for comfort; I will never get rid of them.

My new diet is more of a vegetarian diet, but I don't mind. Sweets are limited, but I can still enjoy my ice cream and chocolate cake a couple of times a week. I have to go to the gym a lot as part of the contract and I have actually grown to like it. I'm pretty sure I have lost weight despite my already petite frame, but I don't think I look anorexic like some of the other models. It's definitely a new me, but I like it.

It is fall break for our colleges and I am flying Blake down here to visit me for the extended weekend. I can't believe we're almost halfway done with our second year. Time really flies. It is a big weekend for me as far as modeling goes and I am excited to bring him along so he can see what I really do in most of my time.

School is going as well as it can I guess for us. He's not really enjoying the pre-law track at University of Washington, but his parents keep insisting he pursue law instead of a firefighter. I am loving my art on the other hand and find it very fun and relaxing. I spend so much time in the studio working on different pieces, and I spend just about the same amount of time at Elite.

I haven't really gotten that whole "college experience" because I work so much when I'm not in class, but that's okay I guess. By the end of the semester I will have basically paid off my tuition for the whole year, so the rest of the money I am making is going to saving for other important purchases. I'm saving for a car right now, but I want a brand new black convertible mustang so it might take a little bit. In the meantime, I am using my trusty skateboard that I've had since forever.

Campus is close to Elite so I ride my skateboard around campus and to work everyday. Lauren says that I can't ride a skateboard in a dress and heels, but I seem to manage just fine.

Today is the day Blake comes from Washington. I am at the airport too early, but I am just so excited to see him. I am ready and waiting in one of my new outfits; a halter neck leopard print shirt and white blazer, dark blue jeans, and strappy black open toed shoes. I also have my big white purse with gold metal buttons. He hasn't seen me since my full makeover. I mean, it started last year, but I didn't see him much because of work and such, so this should be nice.

The longer I wait, the more impatient I am getting. A couple of guys in the waiting area try to start a conversation with me because they recognize me from the mall posters. I am polite, but I make it known that I am waiting for my boyfriend. Surprisingly we have made this thing work so far. I have had major doubts several times, but Blake keeps insisting that we can make it through this. And when we're done with school, he will move to L.A. to be with me because this is where my job is and he can get a job anywhere.

As soon as I see people starting to file out of the gate, I jump up and run to the door to wait. As soon as I see him come through, I run into his arms and he lifts me and spins me around. "Oh my God, I've missed you so much!" I squeeze him as tight as I can.

"Missed you too, babe. You seem taller." He laughs.

I giggle and pull away from our hug. "I dunno, it might be the shoes" I pop my heel for him to see.

"Look at you!" he smiles and holds my hand for me to spin around. I pivot on the balls of my feet for him.

"Is this what leaving you in L.A. with that Lauren chick for a year got me?" The smile on his face is undeniable.

"That's what having a model for a girlfriend got you." I smile and peck him on the lips.

"You definitely don't need it, but you look hot." He smiles and shakes his head, then takes my hand and we head to the car.

I hug his arm with my other hand as we walk. I don't shut up on the car ride back to the dorm. We have so much to catch up on before the shows this weekend.

We drop his things off in my room and go out around L.A. for the rest of the afternoon. I have to show him around to all of my favorite places. We go out to a late lunch and walk through the streets. We even go shopping and he tries to buy me things, but we both know I am making more money than him right now than his is in law school. I let him buy me a new pair of jeans, but that's it.

The night is fairly quiet which I enjoy. It's nice to be able to take a break from life for a little bit, if only for one night. My roommate is gone for the break, so Blake and I have the room to our selves. We just watch TV, eat ice cream, and cuddle.

My alarm goes off too early and I press snooze three times, then I just have to rush to get ready to go down to Elite. I have to look at least somewhat presentable, but Blake gets to just change into a different tee-shirt and pair of jeans.

I find the first dress I can get my hands on and dig through my bucket of shoes until I find matching black pumps with a gold bedazzled heel. I rake my fingers through my hair quickly and throw on a gold chunky bracelet and run out the door. My hair and makeup will be done at the shoot so I don't have to worry too much about that for right now. But I have to be there in 15 minutes and it is generally a 15 minute walk in itself. I clutch my purse to my side and weave my way in between all the early morning people already out and about. The sun has barely just risen, and by that I mean it's 10 o'clock. I've never been much of a morning person.

Blake tries his best to keep up with me as I dart through the crowd of people and straight into Elite Photography. I run to the elevator and press the button feverishly. When it finally comes, I run inside and press the 7th floor button and the close-door button. I am already bouncing in my skin with nerves because I swear I'm going to be late again. The past couple of times was because my class ran overtime, but Sam still wasn't happy.

The elevator seems to be stopping at almost every floor. When it opens on 5th, I decide to take the stairs the rest of the way instead. "Meredith, what the hell? You're fine." Blake pants as he continues to chase me through the maze that is this building.

"No, I've already gotten some demerits because I was late because class ran over. If I'm late again I get put on probation and could lose the job." I yell to him as I try to bound two stairs at a time.

At this time last year if you would have told me that I would be working for one of the most prestigious modeling companies in California and running... up stairs... in 6-inch platform heels, I would have laughed in your face. But look at me now.

I burst through the door just in time and Sam gives me that weird smile. "Glad to see you could make it, Miss Meredith."

I smile awkwardly and brush my hair from my face.

"I see we have a guest today?" Sam looks over to Blake.

"Uhh, yea. My boyfriend Blake. You met him last year, remember? He's visiting for the weekend and just came to watch." I am out of breath and sound pathetic despite my attempts to sound calm.

"Right." He raises his eyebrows and turns his back to us. "Aaanyways. Now that everybody is here, let's get started." He starts calling orders out to the hair and makeup artists and to the photographers and all the models are shuffled around the room.

I sigh and look at Blake. He is totally shocked by the whole thing and we've only just barely begun. I am ushered to sit down in one of the chairs and I have two people start working on me. Blake takes a seat along the wall and observes everything that is going on.

Directions and hair spray are flying all over the room. Huge harsh lights are turned on as all the models are prepped and polished. I think of hair and makeup like an art as well. The stylists pain my face will all sorts of dark shadows and liners and a neutral lip tone. My hair is pretty versatile but today it is curled in loose waves and falls close to my face.

When it is my turn, I strutted to the white back drop across the room and started my shoot. Out of the corner of my eye, I would see Blake watching in awe as I modeled the different clothes. Sometimes other models were brought in with me and we got to pose together.

Lauren is usually paired with me, not only because she's my big, but because our looks just compliment each other. I have long brownish blonde hair and she has short bobbed black hair. I'm petite; she's more built. I'm on the shorter end of models; she's tall. We're both fun in our own ways and that's why I love when we work together. We have a bond that can be seen in our photos that no other models have. That's why I love us.

When I am done with my segment, I ask if Blake can come in a could of pictures too, not to be used of course, but just for fun that I can buy for us. If money is involved, they say yes. I do my little run/walk across the room to Blake and pull him up by his hands. "Come on, it's your turn." I wear the biggest smile on my face.

"What?! No, no, no, that's okay. I was just fine watching." He tries to back away, but I just tug him harder.

"No way, this will be super fun!" I grin and he joins me in front of the camera.

"Uhh, what do I do?"

"Pose, silly!" I giggle and wrap his arm around my shoulders when I stand in front of him. I keep changing positions and the flash keeps going off. Soon, Blake gets more comfortable with the camera and he starts being his silly self. We laugh together and make faces. We just have so much fun. I love it. I thank the photographer and we step off the screen for the next set to take place.

"See, that was fun right?" I nudge Blake.

"Is that what they call it these days?" he jokes.

"Meredith" my stylists call me firmly.

"Gotta go; round two!" I spin on my heels and skip across the room back to my chair.

We go through this for another three or four rounds. I don't make Blake take pictures with me every time, but a lot of the ones we did take came out really nice. I buy a bunch for us and I get a discount for being an employee. "Merry early Christmas" I smile and hand him half the stack after I sifted through them back in the dorm.

"Today was fun. I'm glad I got to see what you do here" Blake says as we crawl into bed again.

"Yea, it was great having you on set! I saw you got to catch up with Lauren." I smirk.

His cheeks flush a bright shade of red. "You know it's not like that, Mere."

"Or is it?? Judging by your blushing-" I giggle and poke his cheeks.

"Stooop" he whines and swipes my hand away. "It's not. I only love you."

"Well you might like her." I prompt.

"Not really."

"That means kinda!" I scoff playfully and sit up on my elbow to look down at him.

"No way! It does not mean that at all."

I raise my eyebrows at him.

"No, she's pretty, but you're gorgeous. Now can we just go back to watching the movie now?" he pulls me back down to his chest. I smile and get settled under the sheets again.

I keep twisting and turning in my spot. "You know, this bed wasn't really made for two grown adults." I roll halfway onto Blake.

"Well then I guess we should only take up the space of one." Blake smirks and pulls me completely over him.

"Guess so" I smile and peck his lips. My hair falls into our faces and we both laugh. I sit up for a second to tie it up into a bun on top of my head, then I lay back down on his chest and kiss his cheek before resting the side of my face on his chest.

Blake flips through a couple of stations on the TV before we decide that there isn't really anything good on and we turn it off. After a few minutes in silence, I speak up without moving my head, "Lake?"

"Hmm."

"I'm really glad you could come this weekend."

"Me too."

"No, really. Like, you're the only person I really care about to see and you're the one I see the least."

"Aww babe." He starts running his fingers through my hair. "Well, the best things in life are worth waiting for."

A stupid grin crosses my face. Now I lift my head to look at him. "I'm the best thing in life?" I smirk.

"No, my degree. What would give you such a nonsense idea?" he jokes and I burst out laughing.

"Riiiight." I smile and lay back down. "Well we should get some sleep anyways. The fashion show is tomorrow and you're going to want to be as rested as possible for that one if you think today was a big day."

"Good night, Mere" I can hear the smile in his voice and I can't help but smile too.

"Night, Lake."

The fashion show went really well the next day and it was a lot of fun. Blake had a blast being back stage with the models and afterwards all the girls went out in a group and our boyfriends went out in a group too. It was so cute to see Blake with all the other model boyfriends. He looked kind of out of place, but at the same time, he fit right in because he's just one of the guys.

I really love him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

365 43 12
All fairy tales are supposed to end happily ever after, no? What if they were just lies? The truths behind those tales could be as black as the nig...
2.9K 243 29
-Completed- Have you ever heard the story of Cinderella? You know, the girl who is the servant of her "evil" stepmother and "wicked" stepsisters, and...
291K 20.6K 31
I'm not who they think I am. A docile girl who meekly obeys her stepmother and stepsisters. Some kind of sick angel who cheerfully bears their mistr...
62.4K 3.2K 67
You all know the story of Cinderella. The story of how she was a servant with an evil step-mother and step-sisters. Remember how she went to a ball...