virago|c.g.|

By GrvmesStuffandThangs

(n.) a strong, brave, or warlike woman; a woman who demonstrates exemplary and heroic qualities C⃠G⃠ - Book 1... More

virago
playlist
i
ii
iii
iv
v
vi
vii
viii
ix
x
xi
xii
xiii
xiv
xv
xvi
xvii
xviii
xix
xx
xxii
xxiii
xxiv
xxv
xxvi
xxvii
xxviii
xxix
xxx
xxxi
xxxii
xxxiii
xxxiv
xxxv
xxxvi
xxxvii
xxxviii
xxxix
xl
xli
xlii
xliii
xliv
xlv
xlvi
epilogue
a/n
another a/n
oops, another quick a/n

xxi

2.2K 69 27
By GrvmesStuffandThangs

As Clary made her way to Deanna's home, she walked up the porch steps to see Maggie already there. As their eyes met hers, Deanna shook her head. "No, I will not have the both of you trying to sway my decisions." Clary took a step forward. "Deanna, if you'll just listen—" Clary fell silent as Deanna looked to her with slitted eyes. "Clarissa, I thank you for keeping watch, and I am happy that you have a... newfound loyalty for Rick and his group by advocating for him," the woman shook her head. "...but you are not in a position of power to question my authority at this moment." Clary clenched her jaw as the woman took another step forward. "You are a child that was given a title and knew nothing of what to do with it. A title you still don't know what to do with."

Clarissa moved forward, a cold anger on her face and many words at the tip of her tongue that she wanted to let free. However, Maggie's own fury at the disrespect came first. "No, Deanna I can take what you say about me, what you say about Rick, but I will not have you disrespect Clary," Maggie took a step forward, her eyes dark. "Her authority was well fought for in her community and her words should hold just as much weight as mine do. She was Commander for a reason, and I will not allow you to put her down just because of her age." With a clenched jaw, Maggie looked to Alexandria's leader, not noticing Clary's look of shock to her. Clary had been surprised, not realizing she meant enough to the woman to defend her in such a way. Deanna noticed this as well, realizing Clary had become a lot closer to the group than she had previously thought.

As Clary turned back to Deanna, the ginger haired woman pursed her lips before looking between the two. "I will decide just as I always have, just as I did letting you in." With no words from them, Deanna gave them a single nod. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I have things to attend to." Maggie, in her anger and frustration, stormed towards the stairs. Reg, Deanna's husband, followed closely behind the woman, calling for her.

As she watched Maggie go, Clary stayed where she stood on the porch, her gaze moving away from the long gone woman to the woman standing before her. As their eyes met, Deanna let out a sigh. She knew the girl would not go quietly. She had grown to admire that about the teenager, but it also brought up challenges. "Say your piece, Clarissa," was all Deanna said as she leaned against the table, her eyes resting upon the dark haired girl. Clary stood unwavering, her jaw clenched as she took a step forward. "I know you see me as young and I know you see that as a reason to not listen to what I have to say, but... Maggie is right." The older woman clenched her jaw but Clary didn't stop. "There was a reason I was Commander, Deanna. And, as Commander, I dealt with people that led like you—" Clary's words were cut off as Deanna scoffed. "How? Like Rick, threatening us? Is that how you'll deal with me? Are you threatening me?" Clary clenched her jaw before she shook her head, suppressing her frustration with the woman. "No, Deanna, I'm not. No threats, just civil conversation, leader to leader."

Deanna's eyebrow quirked slightly as the girl approached, leaning over the table that the older woman leaned against. "My age has made many underestimate me, just like you do. But that allows me to get a read on you, see why you underestimate rather than prepare." The girl leaned forward. "Since I stepped foot in Alexandria, I calculated what you're scared of. You're scared of losing your people, losing your purpose... but you're also scared of losing your power." Clary took a step forward, her stance strong as Deanna seemed to waver. "And Rick, hell maybe even me, are threatening that power you have. You should be afraid of Rick, because I have only heard of what he has endured and I know he is strong enough to show you how it is out there. How loss can make a man go mad... but he isn't. None of us are." Clary took a pause, watching as the woman clenched her jaw. "We're experienced, and if you want this place to stand any chance of survival? You'll keep us close." The teenager backed away, her gaze still upon the woman before giving a single nod. "Think about that when you do as you always do. Think about how you'll need us to survive." Deanna could only clench her jaw as the young girl turned on her heel and walked down the porch steps.

Clary was surprised to see Maggie waiting there for her, Reg going back up the steps and bowing his head in greeting towards the girl. As Clary approached Maggie, the woman let out a breath of relief. "I'm sorry Deanna said that to you." Clary only shook her head, glancing towards the porch to see Deanna going into the home. "I'm not. As far as I'm concerned, if she underestimates me then I have the upper hand." Maggie let out a sharp exhale. "Well, anyone who underestimates you is a fool." Maggie gave her a small smile before wrapping her arm around her shoulders, the two walking home.

They approached the porch of the home, seeing Glenn sitting alongside of it. As they came closer, Clary stopped, knowing that maybe it should just be the two of them. As Maggie looked back to her, she gave her a confused stare. "I'll let you talk to Glenn, I'll see you—" Maggie rolled her eyes, smiling kindly to the girl. "I don't think so, you're coming too. Family meeting." Clary didn't want to admit the warmth she felt at hearing the word family. Of course she knew how the couple had begun to care for her. As much as she didn't want to put them at risk, it was hard to push away the care they held for her. It was a type of care that she hadn't felt in years, even before the world had been overrun with the undead.

With that in mind, Clary nodded before following Maggie to stand in front of Glenn. As the man looked up, he smiled at the two women before him. "You two talk with her?" Maggie nodded. "Yeah." Looking between the two, Glenn's eyes landed on Maggie. "So what is it?" As both Clary and Maggie sat along the porch, Clary allowed the older woman to speak. "It's what we thought. I'm gonna talk to people. I'll talk to everyone I can right up until. I'm gonna try to solve this." Glenn was quiet as he looked at the two, his face falling slightly. Maggie looked confusedly at Glenn before speaking again. "What?" Glenn only shook his head, a reassuring smile on his face. "Nothing I— I know you'll get through to them." Maggie nodded, taking his hand in hers. "We're gonna work it out. I know it." Glenn nodded before Maggie departed, giving a quick goodbye to both of them.

As the two watched Maggie go, the man turned towards Clary with a questioning gaze. "How'd it go with you?" Facing the man, Clary let out a sigh. "Well, it started off with her saying to not even speak because she wouldn't listen, but I did anyway." The girl shrugged. "I don't know how much it'll do but I'm not letting her send Rick out of here because I know that if he goes, you go." As her eyes met his, Glenn placed a hand on her shoulder. "Even if we did, you don't have to come with us. I know you've been opening yourself to the idea of a home here and I'm not letting you lose that." Clary shook her head, causing him to give her a confused glance. "It's not the place that makes it home, it's the people. It's you and Maggie welcoming me into your home and taking care of me. It's realizing that not everyone I meet wants something from me." The girl bit the inside of her cheek. "I never would've learned that if it wasn't for you." Glenn smiled, scooting closer to her, allowing their shoulders to touch in a comforting way that signaled to them that they had each other. "Well, don't you worry because we won't be leaving any time soon. Cross my heart." Making an X over his chest, Clary let out a laugh before shaking her head. "I'm not worried," Clary declared before making a similar mark over her chest.

•••

Clary stared down the walkers that had zeroed in on her, looking around to count four of them. With their groans filling her ears, she twirled her blade in hand before going after the one in front of her. With a kick to its knee, it bent in, causing the walker to fall to the floor. With one swing, his head was sliced clean in half before she turned to the others. One came up close to her before grabbing onto her shoulder, to which Clary grabbed hold of its elbow before sliding its legs from under it. As it crumbled to the ground, reaching up to try and grab her, she moved away before attacking the other two that made their way towards her. However, as her focus was trained on the other two, the one she had taken down rose to its feet slowly. She was quick to kill the others, ready to turn her attention towards the last until it grabbed her first. It's bony hand gripped tightly onto her shoulder before letting out low snarls that sounded right next to her ear.

Before Clary could turn around, she saw a blur come towards both her and the walker before the grip was ripped from her. She turned quickly to see Carl straddling the walker, the walker clawing at him before he raised his knife and brought it down into its soft skull. Satisfied with the kill, Carl looked up to her, sending her a small smile as she shook her head in response. "You don't have to save me, you know?" Clary questioned, to which the boy only shrugged. "I know, but I'd rather be safe than sorry." Clary let out a frustrated breath, holding out her hand to which he took it to pull himself up. "What are you even doing out here?" Clary asked as the boy dusted himself off. "Enid said she saw you climb over the walls. She was going to come but Olivia needed her help taking inventory, so she sent me." Clary nodded, rubbing the blood from her blade against the clothing of the fallen walkers.

It was silent for a while as Clary dusted herself off, rubbing away the dirt and blood with a bandana as she heard Carl's voice once more. "What are you doing out here?" Clary clenched her jaw, turning away from Carl. "Blowing off steam." When she looked back to Carl, she saw him looking expectantly at her to elaborate. She let out a frustrated sigh. "I tried to talk to Deanna about tonight, and I was able to, but she didn't care. She didn't want to listen." The girl shrugged. "Can't say I blame her. I mean, who trusts some teenager that couldn't even save her people?"

It was the first time Carl had ever heard her doubt herself, and it was definitely the first time she had in front of anyone. Her jaw was clenched but the words were already out there. Those words led Carl to shake his head. "I do." Clary scoffed, turning towards him. "The first day you spend with me, you got kidnapped. I could have gotten you killed." The boy surprised her by shrugging. "I think a near death experience brings friends closer together, don't you?" As Clary raised an eyebrow, she saw Carl smile. Whether it was her frustration or tiredness, she found herself laughing at the comment. Carl joined in, the two laughing for a few moments before falling silent.

With that, Clary sighed. "Still, I'm sorry I couldn't do more," Clary said apologetically, leading Carl to shrug. "You tried, that's all that matters." Clary watched as he leaned against a tree, his eyes still on the girl as she made her way closer to him. "How are you holding up? It can't be easy knowing your dad is on thin ice." She heard Carl let out a deep sigh before he shrugged. He looked down at his feet in thought for a moment before allowing his eyes to meet the dark ones of the girl in front of him. "I'm worried, not only for him but the group. And I'm afraid for the people here because if they send us out, they'll die. There's no doubt about it, they're weak." Clary watched as he clenched his jaw in thought, to which she nodded. "You're right, they are weak. They're terrified people and terrified people are dangerous to themselves and to others because fear makes people stupid." Carl nodded at Clary's words before he allowed himself to continue. "My dad told me he might have to threaten or kill one of them tonight. I won't be there, I won't get to defend him but—" Clary shook her head. "I'll be there. I'll defend him with my words or with my blade. No matter what, you and your group are staying."

Carl's eyes met hers and she could see how grateful he was for her declaration. But she also saw the question. "Why?" Clary stepped forward, moving close to the boy as their eyes met. "Because, your father allowed me to stay in your home. He allowed me to get close with Glenn and Maggie. He trusted me enough to go on a run with you. So, as long as I live, I will pay my debt to your father." Carl looked curiously at the girl, intrigued by the determination in her eyes and authority in her voice. "Well, it's not really a debt when you're part of the group," Carl declared, leaning forward with a glint in his eyes. "Just so you know." Clary nodded her head, a small smile on her face before the two made their way back into the walls.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

775K 19.9K 61
COMPLETED - || and still, none of them have felt like home; none of them have felt like you. || highest rank: #1 The Walking Dead #1 Daryl Dixon #1...
700K 14.1K 46
"She wore her troubled past Like scars - She had been through battle And though no one could see her demons They could see the face that conquere...
35.2K 1.6K 20
𝙇𝘼 𝙁𝘼𝙈𝙄𝙇𝙄𝘼 Bonnie Everett's life was already hard, from balancing her four year old, an on and off boyfriend, to serving pancakes from nin...
27.5K 816 50
(n.) a person who has returned, especially supposedly from the dead C⃠G⃠ - Book 2 of the Virago Series C⃠G⃠ -all rights reserved to AMC and those inv...