Cakes, Country Clubs, and the...

By wondergracie

Little Bites Cupcake Bakery employee meets big shot Styles Incorporation CEO. What could go wrong ? Answer:... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23

Chapter 4

126 9 17
By wondergracie

Seeing as Sabrina was one of my best friends, it only seemed suitable for us to spend as much time together as possible. Which ultimately meant having the same jobs and almost the exact same schedules. The only differences was our switch off days on Wednesdays and Thursdays. Besides that we were practically glued at the hip throughout the week.

I didn't mind though, I loved being around Sabrina. She was someone who kept everyone's spirits up using her colorful attitude and sassy remarks.

Today we were both working a double shift as a matter to take over for our two co-workers who had planned a week getaway out of the city to some island paradise. I had to admit, I was definitely jealous, however the two deserved it.

The shift also meant extra time with my Bestie.

Sabrina and I had been working at Little Bites Cupcakes and Cake Corporation for the past two years, and to say the least, we both loved it. It always had such a happy environment. Of course there were times where orders could become overly stressful, however for the most part, we were enjoying ourselves.

Children and couples of all ages would come in to share the love of sugar and witnessing it was one of the sweetest things.

I've witnessed multiple proposals during my time working here, whether it be sticking a ring in a cupcake or icing the words "Will you marry me?" onto a cake. And to say the least, it's made me a hopeless romantic.

Mostly the hopeless part though. In all my 17 years of living, I'd managed to score a single boyfriend and a few kisses from flings here and there. I'd never really shared anything special with someone.

But the romantic part of me, from watching one two many romantic comedies, was still very present.

Sticking the last few remnants of change into the cashier, I push the cart back in and look back up in order to ring up the next customer. Yet, the smile I always plaster on when greeting falls just slightly as I see a familiar face standing in line.

I think one of the main reasons my boss hired me was for my ability to always stay positive and smiling, even in the tougher times of working there. She was a sweet older lady and looked like the grandmother who would bake you fresh homemade chocolate chip cookies when you would come over. She ultimately made an up and coming business that has been thriving ever since it's opening out of it.

Yet, I couldn't help the small fall of my grin as I saw the brunette and her matching apprentice walk in.

I've never met Rylee previous of our first meeting and I hoped to never see her again after it either. However I should have assumed I wouldn't be that lucky.

The few customers that were in front of her came and went far too quickly, and I continued with my job with ringing up their orders. I quickly recovered from the initial shock of her presence, and masked the surprise well. On the other hand, the other girl had still yet to acknowledge my presence.

Still staring at her phone, when the duo reached the counter, Rylee motioned a quick manicured hand at her friend, motioning for her to recite their order. She quickly resumed typing away on her phone a second later.

Her friend, a younger girl with tanned skin and darker brunette locks looked up at me, smiling wide as she rambled off what she wanted. She had a bright attitude and even brighter smile, and I couldn't help but instantly like her, despite her choice in friend.

I glanced back down at my own screen to type in her order and pass it over to Sabrina, until I momentarily become distracted when Rylee speaks up.

"Taylor you know that the scones don't fit in with my diet, I can't eat those" she sighs, obviously agitated with her friend's choice in dessert.

"Oh yeah I know, but I really wanted one for myself" her friend, now known as Taylor, smiles back, "they looked really good. You don't have to eat it though!" she quickly reassures, waving her hands slightly for emphasis.

"No that's not how it works. If I can't eat it then you shouldn't be able to either". Rylee's irritation was obviously growing due to the way she executed her last few words. Her fingers rapidly squeezed on the side of her coffee cup that I hadn't realized she was holding earlier, looking as it was going to combust under her tight grip.

Hestitanly, feeling a growing need to defend the other girl, I quickly mumbled my words hoping it would settle the tense air that seemed to cloud the three of us. Thankfully, besides the girls in front of me, the bakery had seemed to clear out as it was approaching later in the afternoon. Because of that, I had to be thankful that the scene Rylee was starting to cause wasn't being witnessed by any bystanders.

As the words fall from my mouth, Rylee's stare tears from Taylor and instead settles directly on me.

Taking me in, a small smirk settles on her face as she inwardly recounts our encounter from last weekend. Any hope I was holding onto to that she wouldn't recognize me immediately disintegrates as she looks me up and down.

"What did you say?" she orders, her open hand that previously held her phone settling on her hip.

As soon as the words came out, I knew I would regret them. Yet, I couldn't find it in me to keep from repeating them.

"I said that she should be able to order whatever she wants", I repeat, this time much louder than before. I couldn't help the waver in my voice and desperately wished that Sabrina was here to handle the situation. She was much better at confronting and coming up with comebacks than I was.

Rylee slightly nods her head, taking in what I just said. "Yeah that's what I thought", she responds, the small smirk on her face from before only growing.

Why though I had no idea.

That was until I felt the slight burn of the coffee drenching me from over the countertop.

My mouth immediately fly's open as I take in exactly what just happened, looking down from my drenched work uniform, back up to the brunette's sickening face and empty cup.

Taylor looked equally as shocked as myself, bringing up her hands to cover her gaping mouth. "I've been wanting to do that since last week", she slyly remarks, tossing her now empty cup onto the counter. Whatever was remaining in it spills slightly around me, wetting whatever was in contact with it.

The initial shock of the gesture still hadn't subsided by the time Rylee turned around and walked back out the door, her high ponytail swinging mockingly behind her. Taylor still stood there though, grabbing napkins and trying her best to rapidly clean up the mess that her friend had left.

"You don't' have to do that" I sigh, taking the drenched napkins from her hands and walking over to the garbage bin to throw them away. The girl across from me was obviously just as shocked by Rylee's actions, but her surprise subsided much quicker.

"I am so sorry, she hasn't done that to anyone in a while" Taylor rushes as she grabs more towels to hand back to me.

"And how long is a while" I laugh slightly, trying to lighten the situation between us. It obviously wasn't right to blame Taylor for her friends actions, and I couldn't hold any accountability on her. Moreso, I happened to like the girl across from me.

Taylor lets out a small laugh, shaking her head all while she stares expectantly at the ground. "About a couple days."

This time I let out a loud genuine laugh, walking back to the pastry display to grab a few things. Quickly attaining what I needed, I stuffed the desserts into the small paper bag and walked back towards the counter.

"Here", I go, placing it into Taylor's hands and turning back towards the register. "Just make sure you hide that from Rylee, we don't want her to throw another tantrum".

Once again the two of us share another laugh as she hands me the change for the scones.

"Thanks so much, I'm really sorry again" Taylor apologizes, throwing a few bills into the tip jar.

I just wave her off and assure her it wasn't a big deal. I just need to go scrub off this coffee so it doesn't stain the only uniform I currently have, because I'm too broke to afford another one. But who cares, no big deal.

By the time she walks out the door, it's always time to clock out. I quickly make my way to the back kitchen to desperately scrub off the remnant liquid. Yet, due to the distracted state I was in, I bump into Sabrina, nearly knocking her over.

"Hey watch it hot stuff" she laughs, turning around to face me.

Obviously not expecting the mess, her eyes slightly widen her mood shifting from bubbly to a much more grim one.

"What the heck happened to you" she instantly questions, confused by my clothes' new condition.

"A run in with Rylee", I explain, trying to keep it short and sweet. I knew Sabrina had a slight temper on her, and I wanted to keep the fuse from blowing up as much as possible.

"What the hell do you mean a 'run in with Rylee'?" By the looks of it, I didn't have much time left to keep the fuse from blowing.

"Made a comment, she got mad", I motioned at my shirt in example to my words.

With that Sabrina spun, quick enough to make me dizzy, and started marching off towards the open counter. Yet, her mission to do whatever she was going to do to Rylee was intercepted by my hand on her shoulder, pulling her back towards me.

"Sabrina calm down. She's long gone" I laugh, trying to ensure my friend that what has happened is over and done with. I can handle myself.

Even though it may not look like it at the moment.

"Please just cover the counter for me while I wash off" I slightly plead, hoping to keep the smaller girl from going ape mode on Rylee.

"Next time I see her I'm gonna pull her by those long ass hair extensions, which look shit by the way, and handle this my way" she huffs, pulling her hands to cross in front of her chest.

If I didn't know she was serious, it would be kinda cute to see her all mad.

"Don't worry about it, I'm good", I smile back, pushing her slightly to the counter, and turning back around to the sink to wash off.

Once I managed to scrub off as much of the residue coffee as I could, I turned back to walk towards the counter to finish off my shift for the day and to allow for Sabrina to carry on with whatever she was doing prior to our run in.

Yet, another sight I hadn't expected to run into was one of Sabrina shamelessly flirting with the individual in front of her. I'd never taken her as a flirt, however with as much that had happened today, what's one more surprise.

Across from her was a young man, around his mid 20's. He had the boyish look, completed with shaggy light brown hair and sparkling blue eyes. The smiles the two exchange hinted at a prior history between the two, one of which I was unaware of.

I happened to account for the young man's height, him not being much taller than myself. I stood at a height of 5'7, which towered over Sabrina's shorter self. Unlike myself, height had never been an issue for her, for the fact that almost everyone towered her.

Approaching the two, I quietly came up behind my friend, catching the attention of the man across from me. Giving him a small smile and a short wave, I quickly received one in return from him.

Sabrina turned her head slightly, taking in my presence, her happy smile changing to one of knowing that she's been caught. Her new expression related to one similar to a deer caught in the headlights.

I give her a knowing smirk, turning my attention back to the customer.

"Hi I'm Grace" I say, reaching out my hands towards his own.

"Louis", he smiles back, flashing his molars in a wide smile and giving my hand a shake in return . "Pleasure to meet you".

"Pleasures all mine".

I decide to leave out the part where I obviously understand the little exchange going on between the two. I've never witnessed Sabrina flirt so shamelessly with another individual, giving away her interest for Louis right away.

"How can I help you today", I question, pushing Sabrina slightly out of the way so that I can take the man's order. I assumed that due to Sabrina's dazy state, she completely disregarded the position and instead took to chatting with Louis.

Not that I entirely blame her. The man was definitely easy on the eyes.

"I actually came here for catering," he explains, straightening his posture from his previous position of leaning on the counter. "My boss is throwing a party at this country club he owns. We'd love for you to handle desserts".

From besides me, I can feel Sabrina stiffen slightly, shooting up for whatever reason. The topic seemed to peak her interest.

"I don't thi--" she begins, yet isn't able to finish before my own words rush out.

"We would be happy to", I smile, pulling out a hand book to jot down the details of the order. "What's the company name?"

"Styles Corporation" he explains as I jot the notes down.

"As in the big shot issuance company that makes millions down the street?" The question shoots out before I can stop myself. The company is one of the leading investors in all of Santa Monica, making a mark in the city for the amount of wealth they make each year.

Louis nods his head in response, confirming my question. "That would be the one"

"Oh wow", I breathe slightly, never having taken an order for such an important industry before. "Well, um, just fill out the information here and we'll get the order down for you".

He gives a side grin, grabbing the paperwork and pen out of my hand and leaning down on the countertop to start filling it out.

But, before he hands it back, another small smile takes over his face. "Would it be okay if I requested for you two to handle the order and waitressing there. I'd take any chance to see Sabrina there" he looks over, giving her a wink.

He turns back towards me, giving me a similar look, "and of course yourself".

His comment had turned Sabrina beet red, a look I rarely ever see overcome her. She wasn't one to be flustered easily.

"Yeah of course", I smile back brightly, giving him a nod. "We'll hopefully see you then" .

"See you then ladies", and with a small wave, and of course another glance over at Sabrina, Louis leaves the two of us to handle the order.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.3M 117K 65
↳ ❝ [ INSANITY ] ❞ ━ yandere alastor x fem! reader β”• 𝐈𝐧 𝐰𝐑𝐒𝐜𝐑, (y/n) dies and for some strange reason, reincarnates as a ...
351K 14.1K 44
Arlie Addams, the biggest actress in Hollywood. At the top of the world; she stars in every movie, is on the cover of every magazine and is sought-af...
SAVING H.S By BEC

Fanfiction

325K 5.5K 105
When you're asked to fake date Harry Styles you would think it's simple, throw a few fake hugs here, throw a few fake kisses there and everyone is ha...
254K 6.2K 52
⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ΰͺœβ€βž΄ 𝐅𝐄𝐄𝐋𝐒 π‹πˆπŠπ„ .ᐟ ❛ & i need you sometimes, we'll be alright. ❜ IN WHICH; kate martin's crush on the basketball photographer is...