Trials of a Champion - Kanto...

By MsGameinIt

The beginning of the journey is where first impressions and difficult decisions matter the most. Together wit... More

1 Pokémon I Choose You!
2 A Pallet-able Meeting
3 A Night on the Town
4 The Caterpie of the Day
5 A Rocky Battle
6 A Zubat and a Moon Stone
7 To Beat a Gym Leader
8 And Then There Were Three
9 Electric Shock Showdown
10 Battle Aboard the St. Anne
11 Pokémon Shipwreck
12 Island of the Giant Pokémon
13 Beauty and the Beach Part 1
14 Beauty and the Beach Part 2
15 Tentacruel Intentions
16 A Girl's Curse
17 A Spooky Detour
18 Handle with Scare
19 Fighting Fear with Fear
21 City of Rainbow Dreams
22 Prepare for Big Trouble
23 Shall We Play a Game?
24 Friends and Foes Alike
25 Bitter and Sweet Reunions
26 A Tale of Six Tails
27 A Deal's a Deal
28 Never a Rose Without a Prick
29 Rulers of the Road
30 A Gutsy Move
31 Get the Message
32 A Fiery Friendship
33 Fuchsia's Famous Funhouse
34 The Poisonous Ninja Master
35 Into the Safari Zone!
36 The Paths of Least Resistance
37 A Series of Fortunate Events
38 A Girl, A Boy, A Mother, and a Dragon
39 It's Training Time!
40 A Sky Full of Stars
41 Fires in the Night
42 Once and Flor-al
43 A Trip to the Store
44 A Brother from Another Mother
45 A Short Squabble
46 The Golden Rule
47 One Eevee, Two Eevee, Red Eevee, Blue Eevee
48 Sparks Fly
49 The Green-Eyed Monster
50 Good Night Pokémon
51 Approached by a Poacher
52 I Love You 100,000
53 Together Forever
54 The Bonds of Evolution
55 Return to Saffron
56 Brains vs Brawn: Best of Both Worlds
57 Power Outages Are a Girl's Best Friend
58 Sparks, Lightning, and Explosions, Oh My!
59 A Shock in Paradise
60 Team Rocket Takedown, Act I
61 Team Rocket Takedown, Act II
62 This is My Secret
63 Her Origin Point
64 All I Want For Christmas Is...
65 Setting Sail for the Seafoam Islands
66 Diving with Pokémon 101
67 An Icy Retreat
68 Under the Weather, On the Sea

20 The Road to Celadon

883 33 18
By MsGameinIt

With our detour to Lavender Town finished, I cheered and raised my fist in the air, very excited for our next destination. "Look out, Celadon City! Rosa is on her," my stomach suddenly roared as loud as a Gyarados, "way..."

Paul tried extremely hard not to laugh. "Someone a little hungry?"

Embarrassed, I folded my arms and looked away. "We never ate lunch."

"Well, if we're talking about food, I could go for a quick bite myself."

Luxio and Pikachu made starved expressions; Cubone had gone inside his Poké Ball for a nap. "And the Pokémon need to eat, too." I checked the time on my Pokétch. "Why don't we stop here and eat something?"

"Actually, let's get through that gatehouse first." He pointed to a small building just up the road. Several guards posted outside the front entrance. "We can eat once we get past it."

The heavy number of guards made me a little uncomfortable.

"Why is it so heavily guarded?"

"I'm not sure, but it can't be for a good reason. That's why we should cross first and then get to a safe distance before taking a break."

"Agreed."

We proceeded towards the gatehouse. The guards at the entrance wore uniforms reminiscent those of minimum-wage security cops. They never acknowledged our approach, not even turning to look in our direction, though I still felt a little unsettled by their presence. Luxio continuously growled at them. Holding him and Pikachu in my arms, I stuck close to Paul as we went inside.

The gatehouse appeared bigger than we initially thought. It had two stories. Stairs to the upper level sat on our left. On the ground floor, a gate split the room in half, and on the opposing side of it, we found an open doorway leading out to the rest of Route 7.

A single guard sat at the counter. He kicked back in his chair, arms folded and a hat covering his face. "Is he...?" I muttered.

The man emitted a snore louder than a Snorlax.

"Yep. He's totally asleep," Paul replied.

The room divider had been locked, with no way to climb over or go around. We also found several ominous signs posted around it. "Official business only? No travelers to Celadon City?" I read. "Is this supposed to be a checkpoint of some sort?"

"These signs aren't very old, meaning this divider got put up recently. Weird."

I looked at him. "Well, how do we get through this? There's no room to climb over, and we can't go outside and around. There was a fence going for miles."

He shrugged. "We don't need to go around. We just go through like normal."

"How? It's locked, and I'm guessing only he can open it." I gestured at the snoring guard.

"Can I borrow Pikachu?"

He caught me by surprise with that one. "What do you need her for?"

"I just need her. Please?"

Before I could respond, Pikachu leaped onto Paul's head.

Being left with no other choice, I grinned. "As long as it's okay with her."

"Thanks."

Paul stepped over to the counter. Without waking the guard, he leaned across and searched around for the mechanism to open the gate. Once found, he used Pikachu to climb over and press the corresponding buttons, whose smaller body wouldn't make as much noise.

Suddenly, the gate opened up. "They did it," I said to Luxio, quickly rushing through.

Paul and Pikachu hurried to our side before the gate automatically shut. Pikachu jumped back onto my shoulder. "Nice espionage work, Pikachu." She brilliantly grinned at me. "And you too, Paul. Ever thought about being a spy?"

"Once, but then I learned they don't get paid enough."

We laughed.

"Hey! You kids can't be in here!"

We jumped out of our skin, expecting the guard to set off an alarm and chase us.

It never happened.

Staring back, the guard stood up on his feet. His hat had fallen off his face, revealing eyes shut tight. He lifted a finger, and then collapsed into his chair. "I'm on...duty... Job... I take it very seriously... Need tea..." He passed out in seconds.

We hurried out the other end of the gatehouse. With no guards standing watch, Paul and I paused to regain our senses. I let out a breath I unknowingly held. "He definitely takes his job seriously, huh?" I said, struggling to laugh.

"The better question: why was he even necessary?" Paul asked. "Why would someone be trying to keep the gates closed?"

"Good question. Is it to keep people from entering or exiting Saffron, or slowing traffic into Celadon City? According to the map, there's nothing else in between them. Plus, all the other gatehouses we've come across weren't under strict guard."

"Maybe it has something to do with Celadon then."

"You think?"

"I mean, the doors opened out towards Saffron, and when closed, they'd keep people from leaving Celadon. It's just a hunch, but my gut is usually right. I just hope we're not walking into anything dangerous."

When he spoke, Paul sounded very worried and anxious. To me, it didn't sound like him.

Wanting to lift Paul's mood, I smiled and patted his shoulder. "Hey, don't let it get you down, Detective Depression. Thinking about it won't help anybody. Now that we've gotten through the gatehouse, let's think about food instead!"

"Sounds good."

A good distance from the gatehouse, we found a lake, the perfect spot for a break. Paul and I released everyone from their Poké Balls to get some fresh air, and I failed to convince him not to let out Gyarados.

"Why are you so afraid of Gyarados?"

My eyes fixed on the Pokémon doing laps in the lake. "I just...don't want anyone to get vaporized by Hyper Beam." I fidgeted with my hands.

"That won't happen. Gyarados, come here!" The Pokémon heard his master's call and slithered out of the lake.

When the gargantuan serpent approached us, I shuddered.

Paul gripped my jacket to keep me from running away. "Don't run off. If you can get over your fear of Haunter, you can be comfortable around Gyarados, too. You're the one who originally caught him, remember?"

"Hey! Being a little comfortable around Haunter doesn't mean I'm totally comfortable around ghosts. There's a big difference."

"Whatever. Now, behave. I saw a phone booth back that way and need to make a quick call. I'll only be a minute."

"Wait, Paul!"

He ignored me and walked away.

With nothing else to do, I faced Gyarados, feeling the weight of his terrifying glare. The other Pokémon ran around, enjoying the addition of Haunter's playfulness; Cubone napped under a tree. Gyarados and I stood alone, silently facing each other. I knew to break the ice first, or at least try. "Well, Gyarados, how are you holding up since I gave you to Paul...?"

Gyarados roared in my face.

Though intimidated, I stood my ground, hoping to not be smacked in the face by some powerful Water-type attack. "Listen. I know we didn't start off on the right foot, and I'm sorry for attacking you when we first met. I was really scared. All this time I've been terrified of you, your power, and your anger.

"But now, I understand that by being afraid of you, I'm judging you too harshly. I'm someone who judges at first glance, but I don't want to remain that kind of person. I want to become stronger, a person who doesn't judge..." I gulped after realizing that I rambled on a bit too much. "Look. Cutting the details, I'm hoping we can put all that behind us." I held up my hand, fingers splayed out. "What do you say?"

Gyarados stared at me for a long while.

"I'm truly sorry. I don't want to be scared, and I don't want you to be angry. I want us to be friends. If not for me, please do it for Paul. I don't want to cause him any trouble. It feels like I do that enough." A part of me felt sad admitting that. "So—"

Suddenly, Gyarados bumped his gigantic nose against my hand. At first thinking he wanted to eat me, I realized that Gyarados had accepted my words and decided to trust my feelings. My cheeks ached from my wide smile. "You really mean it? Thank you, Gyarados!" He lifted his head back and grinned.

Pikachu and Luxio raced up to me, complaining about their empty bellies.

"I know, I know. Everyone's hungry. Well, how about I make some food then? I got a bunch of yummy ingredients." Luxio, Pikachu, and Gyarados all cheered in delight, even offering to help me cook.

As much as the Pokémon offered to help, I wanted the meal to be a surprise. Brock advised me plenty on making Pokémon food, and I felt determined to put what I learned to the test. I whipped up enough for the combined number of Pokémon: a total of seventeen!!

By the time Paul returned, every Pokémon sat before a bowl of food.

"I can't believe you made all this. I wasn't gone for that long," Paul gasped.

I victoriously smirked. "When I put my mind to it, I can get a lot done in thirty minutes. I really like cooking, and I think I'm getting better at it. Well, dig in, everyone!"

Unfortunately, they all seemed skeptical to try the new recipe.

"What's wrong? They're not eating."

My shoulders slumped. "They're a little worried. After all, my last few attempts to make food have all ended terribly. Guys, please relax! I learned a few things from a really smart friend, so the recipe is a lot better than before. Just give it a try."

Everyone volunteered Luxio to try the food first. Though a little terrified, he took a small bite and gulped it down. I pressed my hands together, knuckles turning white as I prayed for satisfactory results.

In an instant, Luxio's eyes sparkled. He shoved his face into the bowl and began inhaling his food. The other Pokémon followed his lead. Soon, everyone stuffed their faces, looking beyond satisfied with their meal.

My heart nearly gave out from the overwhelming reviews. "Yay! They like it!"

Paul sat on a blanket and watched in astonishment. "Wow. That's impressive, Rosa. I still can't make Pokémon food to save my life, but just a few attempts and they seem to really love yours."

I joined him, happily gazing at all the Pokémon. "I'm glad. I worked really hard on improving that recipe. We can't have our Pokémon eating poor food, now can we? Intense training requires healthy diets."

Paul dramatically sighed. "I just wish we cared the same about ourselves."

"What are you talking about?"

He held up a single apple.

"That's your entire meal?"

"Unfortunately. An apple a day doesn't exactly cut it, huh?"

"Well, they say an apple a day keeps the...surgeon away? Something like that."

Paul shot me a disappointed look. "It's 'doctor' actually, and I'm not sick. I just spent more money on supplies and failed to consider my own meals."

"Well, it's a good thing I came prepared." I put a loosely-wrapped package in his face.

He peered at it like it was a bomb. "Is that...for me?"

"Well, it's not for the Pokémon. Are you going to take it or just stare at it?"

Still a little wary, Paul accepted the parcel. "Uh, thanks." He carefully tore open the paper and marveled at a sandwich with multiple layers of meat, veggies, cheese, and condiments. His jaw hit the ground.

Our Pokémon caught sight of the sandwich and drooled, and I noticed. "Better eat it fast before somebody snatches it."

"R-Right." He hesitantly took the first bite, and then froze. I stared, waiting for him to either swallow or spit it out. Anything, really; I just wanted a reaction. To my surprise, Paul's eyes started to sparkle the second after he swallowed. "It's delicious!"

Unable to hide the smile on my face, I nibbled on my sandwich to cover it, eating slowly to savor every bite. "Better than a stupid apple?"

"By a long shot!"

The Pokémon all complained that they didn't get to eat sandwiches.

"Sorry. There's a lot of things on these you shouldn't have, but it's not like I didn't expect your reaction. You guys can have some of these instead." I retrieved a third bundle and carefully opened it up: multiple portions of rice pressed into cute shapes.

"Rice balls?!" Paul gasped.

I never knew until then that Paul could be excited about something. "I take it you like rice balls?"

"They're my favorite."

"Really? They're mine too! In fact, I—" I stopped myself from fangirling over rice balls when Paul's sparkling eyes met mine.

We both looked like we just entered dreamland.

I felt extremely embarrassed for letting go of myself, and dialed down the excitement. "Uh, well, the round ones have pickled plums, and the triangular ones have kelp. Please, have as many as you want."

Paul took two of each flavor. When I set the tray down in the center of our group, he didn't appreciate the kind gesture. "Hey, don't feed my Pokémon snacks! They'll get fat and lazy."

"Relax, mom. Light snacks are good to give to your Pokémon. Think of it as a treat for all of their hard work." I handed a kelp rice ball to Luxio, who flicked his tail back and forth. "And as long as we're stuck together, I'll treat your Pokémon just like mine."

He glared at me. "You're so damn annoying."

Ignoring his comment, I blissfully ate my sandwich, relishing the sight of everyone eating my food.

"When did you even find time to pick these up?"

"I had a feeling we wouldn't have time for a decent meal today, so this morning before we left for Lavender Town, I packed them for us. Now seriously, make sure to eat your fill while you can."

"I've got to hand it to you. You may be annoying, but you know good food when you see it. Where'd you buy these anyway?"

I paused, my sandwich barely touching my lips. "I didn't. I made them."

He gazed over at me in surprise.

His shock slightly offended me. "I told you I could cook, didn't I?"

"Wow, I..." His cheeks were tinted red. "I don't even know what to say. I mean, if you're looking for a second career, you could make a living off selling these, or the rice balls. How'd you get them to taste so good?"

"Chef's secrets."

He shot me a look.

"It's true. I won't give away my secrets. Rice balls happen to be the one thing I've always been able to make. Nowadays, I can make them with my eyes closed and limited ingredients." I looked out at everyone. "So eat as many rice balls as you can, guys! Making more is easy!"

Everyone cheered.

"Does that go for me too?" Paul asked.

"Well, if you like them that much, I suppose I'd be fine making more..."

He made a fist. "Sweet!"

Paul's uncharacteristic cheer sparked a funny feeling in my chest. I ignored it and focused on finishing my sandwich. My mind drifted to Paul's momentary disappearance while I made all the delicious food. "Oh yeah. What was your phone call about?"

"Hmm? Oh. Just a quick call to my brother."

I tapped a finger to my chin. "Now that you mention it, I should give Volt a call. I haven't talked to him in a while."

"Why do you call him Volt?"

"I couldn't pronounce his name as a kid, and then that nickname stuck."

He nodded. "I see. And what's with the nickname he has for you? Sparkler?"

I spat out the water in my mouth. "Where did you hear that?!"

"You called him back on Porta Vista. Of course, I didn't mean to eavesdrop on the conversation, but I overheard him calling you Sparkler a few times."

My face turned a deep shade of red. It took me a second to respond. "I just...I just like Electric-type Pokémon a lot, I guess. It doesn't have any deep meaning or anything, if that's what you're wondering."

He squinted, making me nervous. "Why do I feel like that was a lie?"

"Hey, cut it out! It's just a stupid nickname. That's all."

Paul backed off, leaving a tense air between the two of us. He lightened the mood first by asking, "Have I ever told you my brother's name?"

"No, I don't think so."

"His name's Reggie, but I don't have a cute name for him or anything."

"I didn't think you did. Reggie, huh?" I sat back and imagined a boy taller than Paul also sporting purple hair; perhaps, a slightly different shade of purple. Then, I beamed. "That's a good name. He's a top Trainer, right?"

"Yeah. He may not be a Gym Leader like Volkner, but he's still strong. He's gone around to all regions around the world and collected every Gym Badge possible. That's who I want to be like."

"Your brother?"

"Well, no. Just a strong Trainer who's won lots of Badges." He stood up. "That's why we have to get to the next one quickly, and that's in Celadon City."

"There's no rush. If we go straight along this path, we should reach Celadon City by the end of the day. And you also just ate, so careful of cramps."

Suddenly, Mankey jumped over to me, bouncing around my legs.

"Are you still hungry after all that? Well, I got one rice ball left. Here." I held out my pickled plum rice ball. Mankey snatched it and sat back down to eat. "He likes it a lot. Just like his unpleasant Trainer."

Paul staggered and then turned his back on me. "Tch. I was just hungry."

"Yes, hungry, as in devouring them so fast you should have the hiccups right now."

"I'm going to wash my hands and face real quick. Then we can go." He went over to the lake.

When I finished my lunch, I stood up and stretched, dusting the dirt off my butt. "Well, I suppose Paul's right, gang. We should hit the road so we can get that next gym badge as soon as possible."

After cleaning up, I recalled all of my Pokémon except for Pikachu and Luxio.

Paul did the same.

However, when he got to Mankey, the Pokémon suddenly stood up and chucked his rice ball. The ball got sucked up into the Poké Ball instead of the Pokémon itself. "I caught a rice ball?" Paul muttered.

"What a waste of a good throw," I giggled.

"Hey, shut it!" He looked back at Mankey, who scowled. "Mankey?"

I noted the vicious glare on the monkey's face. "He looks a little angry."

My Pokédex beeped. "Although Mankey is usually calm and gentle, it does have a bad temper. Once Mankey begins to use Thrash, stopping it is impossible."

"It can't be stopped?" repeated Paul.

Out of nowhere, the Pokémon charged at us, fists flailing. Paul and I bolted down the road. "It's because you went and interrupted his snacktime, dammit!" I screamed. "This is your responsibility! Make him stop, Paul!"

He shot a nasty glare in my direction. "Don't make the rice ball taste so good next time!"

"This ain't my fault!!"

Paul peered back over his shoulder. "Mankey, cut it out! That's enough!" Mankey listened about as well as a four-year-old. "Grudges over food are scary! Maybe your rice balls can win him over enough to stop him!"

"It's worth a try!" I stopped. Pikachu grabbed the last rice ball from my bag and handed it off to me. "Poké Ball—!"

Paul got so shocked by my incorrect words that he and Luxio fell over.

"Oh, sorry. Rice ball, go!" I chucked the rice ball. Mankey tore it to pieces, still charging at us. "Ah! That was the last one, too!"

As I started to run, I tripped on a rock and fell.

"Rosa!" Paul called out in alarm.

I scrambled to my knees, but Mankey approached fast, too fast for me to outrun. I screamed and reflexively hid my face in my hands. To my surprise, the Pokémon hopped over me, using my head like a springboard to launch himself at his Trainer. Mankey proceeded to beat up Paul, kicking up a dust cloud to cover their dispute.

Luxio and Pikachu helped me onto my feet. "I'm fine! We have to help somehow!" I wanted to help, but all three of us worried about getting attacked by Mankey if we stepped any closer.

After a moment, the dust cloud began to dissipate. Paul threw Mankey over his shoulders into a nearby tree. Then, he collapsed, breathing hard from the tussle. Mankey slowly got back onto his feet.

I raced over to my bruised and battered friend. "Paul, are you okay?"

"I will be. Mankey sure knows how to give a good thrashing. Glad I caught him."

"This is no time to praise his power! You nearly got beat to death!"

He used my arm for support. "Where's Mankey?"

I pointed over at the tree. Mankey climbed to the top, jumping up and down in delight.

Paul raced over and shouted abuse. "You little jerk, get back down here right now!"

I frowned. "Well, I didn't think he would've come down if you asked nicely..."

"That's it!" He frantically looked around his feet.

"What are you looking for?"

"A rock." He plucked a pebble from the ground and pulled his arm back.

I latched onto Paul's arm. "I wouldn't throw a rock at him! That'll make everything worse!"

"It can't be worse than getting beaten up by your own Pokémon!"

"Use another Pokémon to get him down!"

He shoved me aside. "No way!" His pebble shot into the air.

It can't hit Mankey!!

"Thunder Bolt on the rock!" Both Pikachu and Luxio fired off bolts of lightning to destroy the rock. Pikachu's attack obliterated the stone; Luxio's attack landed a direct hit on Mankey. My heart came to a complete stop watching Mankey fall from the tree, muffling my gasp with a hand. "Uh oh."

Mankey jumped up on top of a boulder, glaring at the ones responsible for his pain. His eyes glowed, and soon his whole body did the same. "I think he's mad," I muttered, backing away.

When the light faded, Mankey changed into a much bigger monkey.

"He evolved?!"

"Uh, Dex, just how much trouble are we in now?" I shrieked.

My Pokédex replied by scanning the evolved Pokémon. "Primeape, the Pig Monkey Pokémon, and the evolved form of Mankey. It is always outrageously furious. If you make eye contact with a Primeape, it will chase you forever."

Primeape leaped forward and aimed a swift right hook at us. Everyone jumped out of the way.

"Is it mad because we attacked it?" Paul asked.

I snarled at him. "I'd attack too if you threw a rock at me!"

"Well, he'd be a lot easier if you didn't fire off that attack!" Primeape lunged again, flailing his arms and legs as quick as lightning. "We've got to try and calm him down! Try another attack!"

"Thunder Bolt, again!" They blasted Primeape with another powerful lightning bolt. He glared at us and stomped around. "That attack made him angrier!"

My Pokédex replied, "Once Primeape begins its strongest attack, Thrash, it goes completely out of control."

I shivered. "I think we're in big trouble..."

Primeape charged at us with the intent to kill.

"Run!" We turned and raced away at the speed of light.

Primeape chased us into a canyon, leaving a trail of dust in his wake. We did our best to remain on the path. However, keeping to the path made it harder to lose Primeape. He stayed on our tails the entire way, and I already ran faster than I've ever run in my life.

"If we split up, maybe we can lose it!" I suggested to Paul running beside me.

"Okay!" he called back.

We came across a fork in the path, where Paul and I split up. I hoped that his Pokémon would follow him. As my luck goes, Primeape kept chasing after me, and Pikachu and Luxio, too! He never slowed down either. "Uh oh! It doesn't look like Primeape is very easy to lose!"

They warned me not to look him in the eye.

"I know that! At least Paul is safe, for now. Luxio, try to slow it down with Swift!"

Luxio waved his tail and fired the attack behind him.

Primeape's feet took a direct hit. Like our previous attack, the Pokémon looked completely unaffected. I called move after move in hopes that something would slow him down even a little. Nope. Nothing.

I grimaced when my Pokémon started to heavily pant, knowing I had to help them out.

"Return!" They both protested even as they were forced into their Poké Balls. "Sorry, but you need to be safe, too. Don't worry! I'll think of something!" I spotted Primeape still just a few feet back and desperately increased my speed.

Snaking through the canyon, I leaped high over boulders and turned sharp corners to try losing my pursuer. Unfortunately, Primeape's bulky body allowed him to bulldoze straight through all obstacles in his path. "My agility...is on par with his strength?! Primeape's a pretty powerful Pokémon! I hope Paul can figure something out soon, because I can't keep this up much long—AH!"

Not paying attention, I barreled straight off a short cliff. I managed to land on my feet, but by stumbling and slowing down to catch myself, Primeape caught up to me in seconds. He cut off the path in front of me.

I staggered back. "Listen, Primeape! I'm sorry about earlier, and for all those other attacks! I really am, so please calm down already! No more games!" My fingers grasped at the Poké Balls on my belt, but I couldn't decide which one.

Who's strong enough to take on this enraged Pokémon?

In my moment of hesitation, Primeape launched himself at me. I shielded my face.

A Gyarados popped out from absolutely nowhere, bit down on Primeape's leg, and hurtled him into the side of the cliff. Then, he reared up in front of me and emitted a roar that reverberated through my body, threatening Primeape if he came any closer. "Gyarados?!"

"Rosa!"

I beamed at the sight of Paul approaching. "Nice timing!"

Paul approached Gyarados and faced down his enraged Pokémon. "Primeape, stop attacking Rosa! I'm the one who threw the rock in the first place, so as your Trainer, I'll make sure you calm down now! Since you seem so energetic, how about a battle?"

Primeape rose back to his feet, huffing and puffing.

"Unless you're just a big coward, of course, but I didn't take you to be the scared type!"

Primeape's entire body turned red, and he stomped his feet like a bull ready to charge.

"What the hell are you doing, Paul? Primeape's gonna tear you a new one!"

"That's the point!" He saw my baffled expression. "Primeape just wants some attention."

"Attention? That's why he's so angry?"

"Yep. He's probably upset over not being in many battles lately, to the point where we only needed to attack him once before he went over the edge. Now, I'll give him exactly what he wants!"

"Why do you have to be so stubborn?" Nothing else to argue, I stepped back. Luxio and Pikachu emerged to see what happened, glaring at me for stuffing them in their Poké Balls so suddenly. "It was necessary."

Gyarados roared at Primeape again. The two locked eyes, trying their hardest to intimidate the other.

"Primeape, are you sure you want to fight? We won't go easy on you!"

The Pokémon responded by launching a kick at Gyarados.

"That's Mega Kick!" I warned.

"Hydro Pump!" Gyarados blasted Primeape with an intense water blast. He deflected the water with his foot and then jumped to a safe distance.

"Uh oh." I squeezed Pikachu and Luxio.

"Hit it with Flamethrower!" Gyarados launched a powerful stream of fire. Primeape dodged before pounding Gyarados in the face with several punches and karate chops. "Hang in there for just a bit longer!" Despite Primeape's relentless attacks, Gyarados managed to resist them all, still holding the resolve to defeat his comrade.

"It helps that Gyarados is part Flying-type," I muttered to my Pokémon.

Once Primeape visibly got tired, Paul called to Gyarados, "Rage!" Suddenly, Gyarados's eyes shot open, and he spun around smacking his tail into his opponent. I gasped in shock when Primeape got knocked to the ground. He stood back up, only to meet Gyarados's vicious attack. A fist collided with a tail, and for every hit exchanged by the pair, the sea serpent only grew more powerful.

"Finish it with Hyper Beam!" Gyarados unleashed Hyper Beam at point-blank range. The attack roasted Primeape, leaving him covered in black soot. "Great, Gyarados!"

I stepped up beside them. "But, is Primeape okay?" When I saw the Pokémon stagger and tip over, my feet moved by themselves despite Paul's warnings. I caught Primeape before he could hit the ground, petting his head as he stared up at me. "Are you feeling any better now, Primeape?"

Bursting into tears, Primeape hugged me and apologized for his temper tantrum.

Giggling, I rubbed his back. "Apology accepted. I'm sorry we attacked you."

Paul stepped over to us. "Why don't we all take a rest now?" With a scowl, he recalled his Pokémon.

Once Primeape vanished, the strength in my legs gave out, all the adrenaline having slowly fizzled away. My body succumbed to pure exhaustion. A deep sigh escaped my lips as I tipped backward.

Paul caught me by the shoulders before I could hit the ground.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah." I quickly returned to a solid stance. "That run took more out of me than I thought."

He rubbed the back of his head. "Sorry you got dragged into that. It's my fault he targeted you."

"Hey, it's no big deal. Everyone's back to normal and not beaten to a pulp. That's all that matters, right?"

"Care a little more about yourself, Girlie!" The sudden aggression in his voice alarmed me. However, he registered the outburst and dialed the volume down before I had a chance to react. "I mean, are you okay? Like, really okay?"

Connecting his shouting to a caring heart, I smiled. "I'm fine. Thanks."

Gyarados leaned down and bumped his giant nose against my back.

I turned around and threw my arms around his face. "Of course, I should be thanking you! You're the one who protected me from Primeape, not this sorry excuse of a Trainer over here."

"The sorry excuse of a Trainer who just saved your ass?!"

"Gyarados did the actual fighting, not you—" Paul recalled the gigantic Pokémon to his ball, making me lose my balance. "What was that for?"

"Sorry, Girlie. He needs a rest, too."

"Don't call me that! You're going to need more than a rest if you keep it up!"

Standing by a cliff, Pikachu and Luxio called back to us, interrupting another potential argument. "What is it, guys?" I raced over to them, finding a magnificent cityscape just beyond the canyon. "Ah! Paul, get over here!"

He rushed over to my side and gasped in delight. "There's Celadon City! We're right on the doorstep!"

I clapped my hands together. "You know, if Primeape didn't chase us, we wouldn't have gotten here as fast as we did."

"Nice job, Primeape. Now, let's get another Badge."

"Me first!" I raced down the hill, tempted to beat Paul to the Gym.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.7K 113 8
I wrote this several years ago when I was still in high school... Good times (I'm in uni now). When I wrote it, I gave the three main characters diff...
2.3K 71 21
A Pokémon Legendary Journey Series! Book #1 (COMPLETED) Book #2 http://my.w.tt/UiNb/2bpHiSW59B One day, an adult teenager named Artemis give up her n...
8.8K 114 13
Being the younger sister is not easy, even if it is just by a year. Having a brother that doesn't know much about Pokemon is even worse. I am Willow...
36 1 5
More adventurous Pokemon story with a deep interesting plot with original OCs and fan favourite characters. This is an original plot and a bunch of...