𝑪𝑨𝑳𝑳 𝑶𝑭 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑺𝑬𝑨 ¹...

Da hiraethsr

❝ a mermaid belongs to the sea. she cannot stay on land without the guarantee of her death. ❞ ❝ yes, but her... Altro

.call of the sea
.epigraph
.prologue
.act one
i. verity of the sea
ii. a scroll of a quest
iii. a decision to make
iv. journey to rivendell
v. imladris
vi. son of arathorn
vii. a peculiar bunch
viii. a new friend
ix. secrets of the elves
x. frodo awakens
xi. arguing knuckleheads
xii. damsel in distress
xiii. fellowship of the ring
xiv. lasting goodbyes
xv. and so it begins
.act two
xvi. secrets revealed
xvii. tales of the sea
xviii. jealousy is a fickle thing
xix. bane of my existence
xx. mines of moria
xxi. they are coming
xxii. the first battle
xxiii. fall of one
xxiv. bonding experiences
xxv. lothlórien
xxvi. lady of light
xxvii. river of sorrow
xxviii. departure from the elves
xxix. dangerous rendezvous
xxx. grief, we meet again
.act three
xxxi. blue
xxxii. a new hope
xxxiii. responsibility of the crown
xxxiv. that fateful day
xxxv. determind souls
xxxvi. enemy's words
xxxvii. a trace of hope
xxxviii. garden of butterflies
xxxix. riders of rohan
xl. water spirits
xli. mysteries of the earth
xliii. ghost counsel
xliv. mother knows best
xlv. what happens now?
.act four
xlvi. start of it all
xlvii. guard buffoons
xlviii. the first clue
xlix. death's door
l. prince of edoras
li. shadow of blood
lii. desperate lies
liii. royal blood
liv. roman
lv. unveiled
lvi. blood and water
lvii. peace in the chaos
lviii. calm before the storm
lix. slaughter of innocence
lx. final day
lxi. the odds
lxii. pin-drop
lxiii. one final spark
lxiv. rain in the fires
lxv. to the death
lxvi. battle of helm's deep
lxvii. victory...or not?
.act five
lxviii. end of the beginning
lxix. from death to life
lxx. the awakening
lxxi. recovery from hell
lxxii. half of the peculiar
lxxiii. glorious defeat
lxxiv. victorious rejoice
lxxv. happiness at last
lxxvi. hail !
lxxvii. the darkness seeps in
lxxviii. temporary farewells
lxxix. mated souls
lxxx. bonds with a princess
lxxxi. the other side
lxxxii. rightful heir to the throne
.act six
lxxxiii. little girls
lxxxiv. what the future holds
lxxxv. lost time
lxxxvi. a cry for help
lxxxvii. start of the end
lxxxviii. death is a friend
lxxxix. just before the end
xc. endless thoughts
xci. father dearest
xcii. the night before
xciii. on the eve
xciv. outside looking in
xcv. boromir's return
xcvi. end of an era
.epilogue
.author's note

xlii. the dead returns

773 33 1
Da hiraethsr

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑭𝑶𝑹𝑻𝒀 𝑻𝑾𝑶
❝ 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒅𝒆𝒂𝒅 𝒓𝒆𝒕𝒖𝒓𝒏𝒔 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

WITH THE ASSURANCE THAT HER FRIENDS would walk with her through every step of their journey, Vera was in a much better mood. She lets her eyes wander freely over the towering, thick barks of trees over her head, keeping in pace with Gimli's footsteps, and following behind Legolas and Aragorn. She didn't quite like how dark it was in the wooded area, finding it irksome, not that it mattered — she was more focused on finding her Hobbit friends, anyway.

The group took the task of inspecting their surroundings. Vera lets her eyes stick closely to the trees, feeling a strange ambiance overcome her features. Her feä shifts disturbingly at the new presence that welcomes itself into her body. Vera couldn't place a name on the sensation but she could decipher the difference between it and the evilness that normally lurks whenever danger is around. In fact, the tangibility of their environment reminds Vera of something old, something ancient, and something with much history.

She distinctly remembered grasping a familiar feeling in her feä during her younger years, at the early ages of her exploration phase. She had found Bainas Castle, the castle in which Queen Aeriel took refuge in after being abandoned at the deep trenches just on the verge of her labor, heavily pregnant and in dire need of help. However, the Queen persisted and delivered her own baby in the darkness of the castle, abandoned and desolate. Vera discovered the history of the castle after searching for the story in her library.

Vera's eyes tries to seek the blazing sun but her actions die once her gaze falls onto a strange shape on one of the trees. Stopping, she brings Gimli's attention to her unintentionally. He follows her gaze and raises an eyebrow at the speck of, what seems like, blood. Alarmed and slightly confused, Vera notices the blackness of the fluid substance, noting that it is Orc Blood. Hope settles in her chest; Merry and Pippin must've found a way to escape and injure the Orc, perhaps even kill it.

Gimli doesn't seem to want to take a chance, stomping towards the leaf and easily picking it onto his hands before bringing the substance to his lips to taste it and confirm the origins, despite Vera's disgusted protests. "Orc blood!" Gimli states, spitting profoundly to remove the taste from his tongue.

She shares a look with Legolas, both of them smiling at the Dwarf. "Just like I said. You didn't need to waste your appetite, Gimli," Vera teases.

They continue onwards, picking the pace as they hop over a river. Aragorn crouches down once again, Legolas standing guard, observing the marks left behind by someone — or, something — that walked the same ground before them. Vera didn't notice they were following a trail, her main focus laying on the strange atmosphere around her that seems to bother her feä and her.

"These are strange tracks," Aragorn states, glancing at the uncanny difference between the Hobbits' footsteps and the mark dented on the ground that he stares upon now.

"The air is so close in here!" Gimli utters, his tone dripping with the slightest of fear. Legolas shifts in discomfort, as if something else is bothering him as well. Vera didn't find it odd, knowing fully well that her own feä felt the strangeness of the forest. No doubt, an elf Legolas, whose father is akin with the trees, could feel it too.

"The forest is old. Very old. Full of memory...and anger," the elf claims, eyes wide and searching for something that the others cannot see. Vera relaxes at the presence of another strong feä, even reaching out to bond with Legolas' spirit in tenderness. She hadn't been able to feel his feä for a long time, finding that she couldn't exactly reach it completely but felt it nonetheless. It was like a buzzing fly, infuriating Vera's spirit and resulting in a desirable yearn. However, over recent days, she had managed to successfully touch his soul and him her but never completely grasping each other.

She supposed it happened when they shared their first kiss, perhaps unintentionally but it happened nonetheless. And Vera didn't exactly mind, finding comfort in the feel of his feä even it's the slightest of waves or sensations sent to her. She often wondered what would happen if his entire feä interacted with her own and unified together but the only way that matter would work is...something that Vera would rather not do.

The trees suddenly start to groan, reverberating throughout the forest: the trees are alive. Vera feels the same sensation run over her body, momentarily connecting eyes with Legolas as they both share a knowing frown, having felt the same waves of mixed emotion overcoming their senses. Gimli raises his axe from next to Vera who widens her eyes considerably, suddenly alert at the reckless swishing of her friend's axe that could definitely decapitate her if not for the movement of her head in an attempt to save herself, literally.

"The trees are speaking to each other," Legolas continues, unaware of the small problem Vera faces as she dodges any attempts made on her life while Gimli remained unaware of his movements, only moving his axe more to guard himself. Thankfully, Aragorn and Legolas simultaneously turn their heads to look at Gimli and Vera, noticing the way that the princess desperately moved away from the axe threatening to behead her and shooting her an amused, yet slightly confused, look before facing Gimli.

"Gimli!" Aragorn whisper-shouts. The Dwarf stares at the man in surprise. He, then, glances at Vera and smiles sheepishly at the exasperated girl, who only sighs in response. "Lower your weapon!" Aragorn continues, ordering the Dwarf lightly to follow his orders and keep the peace throughout the forest. Gimli acquiesces with his order, bashfully lowering his axe and recollecting himself to appear strong and manly, resulting in a giggle from the woman beside him.

"They have feelings, my friend," Legolas utters, his voice soft and beautiful to Vera's ears. "The elves began it. Waking up the trees, teaching them to speak," Legolas continues.

"Oh, yes, elves truly are a blessing!" Vera says, mostly sarcastic but at some point in her sentence, it became serious. Legolas gives her a half-hearted look, flashing her a playful scowl but sharing teasing looks at one another; one that isn't missed by the others.

"I'm sure you support that statement more than anything," Aragorn comments under his breath, sniggering lightly as a glare and a scowl identical to each other is sent his way simultaneously by the merry couple...thing.

"Talking trees?" echoes Gimli in disbelief and mocking. "What do trees have to talk about? Except the consistency of squirrel droppings," grumbles Gimli,

Vera makes her way through the forest steadily, keeping a watchful eye on her dress. She had been admittedly having trouble with keeping her attire clean, noting that she would probably need to keep it in better condition than the rest of her dresses; she did rely on the fact that she had other dresses before but stranded with nothing in her pouch other than half-eaten food and Corin's flask of alcohol, she had no choice but to take care of the bearings on her now.

Focused entirely on her steps — trying desperately to keep herself coordinated — Vera doesn't notice the back she rams her head into, and lets out a soft 'oomph' at the impact, causing her to stagger back and nearly fall on her butt, shrieking surprisingly. Landing on her arse, Vera lets out another grunt and scowls annoyingly at the laugh Legolas throws her way.

Offering a hand, he flashes her a mischievous smirk, bowing courteously so she could grab his hand. Believing to push her up to her feet and help her, Legolas smirks egoistically but widens his eyes as Vera purposefully yanks the boy down harder, resulting in his head landing on the ground ungracefully and rolling overhead in an attempt to land on his feet diligently, positioning himself in a crouched stand with an irritable look. Meanwhile, Vera brushes her hands over her dress to clean herself from the dirt — but fails to do so as the damp mud on her bum side stays persistent to stain on her only clothing — with a triumphant smile and a cheery expression.

"Oops."

"Shut it."

"Arguing like an old married couple already?"

"Say one more word—" Vera threatens, whirling dangerously fast towards Gimli with a murderous glare emitting much-feigned annoyance in her eyes. Gimli shuffles nervously.

However, Vera is interrupted as Legolas swiftly stands with lightning-quick movement and darts towards one area of the trees with urgency in his eye. "Aragorn, nad nâ ennas!" he warns in his native tongue, exchanging looks with Aragorn. Vera and Gimli share confused glances before rolling their eyes in unison and marching onwards to reach them.

"Man cenich?" Aragorn asks in return, and Vera and Gimli sigh in exasperation.

"Some translation would be nice," Vera mumbles.

Legolas and Aragorn ignore the girl, keeping their eyes trained ahead of them. "The white wizard approaches," Legolas quietly informs the rest of his companions, leaving them to ponder his statement with mixed emotions of anger and fear. Vera falters in her steps slightly. They suddenly feel the gravity and the atmosphere around them grow heavy with the burden of the news.

Vera doesn't properly let her mind work, acting instinctively, as she grabs her daggers carefully. Aragorn whispers slowly, "Do not let him speak. He will put a spell on us." Complying with his order with the knowledge that her whole survival depended on it, she readies herself with a tighter grip on her daggers and her senses perking up consequently to her guarded behavior.

"We must be quick," Aragorn says. In moments, they prepare for the White Wizard's approach, their hearts thundering as the time passes significantly fast.

Vera's features zero in, leaving her extremely sensitive to her surroundings and the footsteps approaching them at a fast pace. The drumming of her heart increases as her ears pick up on the trail.

Consequently, her feä hardens slightly at the feel of yet another being coming towards them, leaving the poor spirit — who has admittedly gone through a great deal since its departure from the sea — to guard itself defensively. Vera reciprocated the feeling, having her own protective stance to keep herself safe. Her dark orbs flicker to Legolas' tall form, feeling the slight shift in her feä — a feeling that she has never experienced before — that brought it to a comfortable state. Vera could only guess that his own feä had something to do with it as he slightly hovers his body over her.

Then time comes out from its momentary pause. In one swift moment, Vera is throwing her dagger first into the air, aiming directly at the bright light that appears to stand atop a rock but frowns as the man dodges it just as swiftly. Her dagger is followed by an axe and an arrow, both of which were zeroed in dangerously close to the Wizard but still managed to be deflected. Picking up another dagger, Vera goes to throw it once more in an effort to finish the Wizard off but her hands start to burn as the metal flames with heat, causing her to cry out in pain and drop it while cradling her arm closely.

With their weapons gone — or in Aragorn's and Vera's case, clattered and drop — the companions find themselves vulnerable and defenseless against the magic and ageless skill of the maia. Vera puts a hand above her eyes, settling by her brow bone to lessen the sight of the blinding, white light emitting from the maia's staff. She releases a shaky breath, finding herself strangely drawn to the man...strange. 

"You are tracking the footsteps of two Hobbits," the Wizard claims, sounding oddly familiar yet rather unfamiliar at the same time. If Vera is being honest, she expected many things from Saruman but she certainly didn't expect his voice to be so...friendly? And his quality to be far welcoming than one who works with the darkness. Vera scolds herself internally for having such kind thoughts about a man who left her Kingdom in ruin and a man who probably killed Boromir.

"Where are they?" Vera demands fiercely. She wasn't playing any games.

"They passed this way the day before yesterday. They met someone they did not expect," the White Wizard replies, his voice suddenly dipping into a much warmer tone. Vera furrows her brows in confusion, finding herself more enticed by his tone than his actual words. Although she did glare generously as the words finally register. "Does that comfort you?"

"Is that supposed to comfort us, you daft—!" Vera seethes.

"Who are you?!" Aragorn demands, seeming to have noticed the change in his voice and tone as well, finding that he couldn't point a finger at it properly but it is at the tip of his tongue. It seemed like a distant memory, a memory that has been buried long before the hard dealings of the Fellowship commenced. He also partly interrupted Vera in order to keep her alive. "Show yourself!"

The man obliges with Aragorn's order. Vera couldn't believe it. In fact, she nearly faints if it weren't for the enticing man standing before her, capturing her attention instantaneously. Vera parts her lips in surprise, letting a choked sob escape her throat.

She thought he died. Hell, he did die. How is he here? Oh, my Ulmo. Am I dreaming? Is Saruman doing this to me so our capture be easier? Vera's head runs wild, leaving her with an ache at one side of her head and another ache as tears suddenly find their way to her eyes once again. Oh, how she hates human tears. Vera couldn't believe her eyes. She watched him die, falling to depths of the earth with a Balrog and never to be seen again yet here he is, in front of her with the same expression and the familiar aura around him.

Her emotions are going haywire, ranging from paralyzing shock, the amazing discovery of finding him in the forest, happiness and utter joy of seeing him once again and finding solace in a member so close to her heart, and outbalancing confusion weighing over all the rest of the emotions at the sudden turn of events presented in front of the group.

She couldn't find her voice at all, nor did she find her body moveable. It seems that her brain has gone soggy with no hint of wanting to come back, rendering completely useless in the situation. Thankfully, Aragorn manages to utter actual words out, ones said in disbelief and shock but said nonetheless, "It cannot be."

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Vera finally lets her footing take hold in the present situation. She is absolutely astounded. "Forgive me," Legolas suddenly apologizes, going down on one-knee in honor of the maia and in dutiful respect. Vera refrains from snorting. Oh, how noble. "I mistook you for Saruman."

"I am Saruman," the maia replies, "or rather, Saruman as he should have been."

Vera could hardly keep her tears in any longer, letting a few strays come out of her eyes at the sight of her friend breathing and talking before her once again. He had the same energy as he had before; warm, kind, but strong and wise with the knowledge of the past and the experience of a king. She has missed him dearly, as she missed the rest of her absent friends, and is more than relieved to finally be able to see him again. Praying and thanking the Valar and Ilúvatar above, Vera sniffles softly in the background, still watching the wizard with astonishment. She truly has missed him.

"You fell," Aragorn states, pointing out the obvious.

"Brilliant observation skills," Vera couldn't help but mumble, her eyes distractedly straying towards the White Wizard.

"Through fire and water," the White Wizard starts to say, growing somber and more serious by the continuation of his story-telling, "from the lowest dungeon to the highest peak, I fought with the Balrog of Morgoth. Until at last, I threw my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside. Darkness took me, and I strayed out of thought and time. Stars wheeled overhead and every day was as long as a life age of the Earth. But it was not the end. I felt life in me again. I've been sent back until my task is done," he finishes.

Vera couldn't help herself. "Gandalf," she starts, hoping to find her words along the way of her sentence but is gratefully stopped by her friend's confused expression.

"Gandalf?" he repeats in confusion before smiling in realization and nodding, "yes, that is what they used to call me." Aragorn nods supportively while Vera flashed him a soft smile in return. "Gandalf the Grey, that was my name."

"Gandalf," Gimli echoes once again.

"I am Gandalf the White," Gandalf says, smiling gently at the rather familiar faces around him and connecting eyes with Vera to give her a knowing glint and a comforting twinkle. Vera shares a grin with the man, missing Legolas' satisfied beam at the interaction and the sudden appearance of a friend they thought lost. "And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide."

They stay silent for a moment, still trying to grasp the situation before Vera speaks once more.

"So...can I still call you Grandy?"

.
author's note; translations
nad nâ ennas:: something is out there

Man cenich:: what do you see?

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

13K 368 24
*Updated all chapters and changed the storyline a bit on 26-02-24 so if you're confused I do recommend rereading the previous chapters* Amdiriel was...
218K 9.9K 41
***BOOK II of the To Live Again Saga*** Clara has overcome much to finally find her happily ever after...but when is anything happily ever after in M...
609 41 9
Once the darkness rises once more, a girl from the stars is bound to fall. Upon her arrival the One will be revealed and the light will slowly start...
24.7K 834 79
shes a pirate elf and hes an elf prince, what a pair right? legolas and maeral have been childhood best friends ever since they were pretty much 6...