Loathed Treasure

By FreshRawRot

Why does Jennette get all the love while Athanasia is overshadowed by her? Claude ignores his own daughter on... More

Note
Chapter 1: Face to Face
Chapter 2: Meeting
Chapter 3: Cold-Blooded
Chapter 4: Adventure
Chapter 5: Thoughts
Chapter 6: Destiny
Chapter 7: Lady Angel
Chapter 8: Worries
Chapter 9: Undead
Chapter 10: Surging
Chapter 11: Whole
Chapter 12: Pampered
Chapter 13: Gift
Chapter 14: Emerging
Chapter 15: Rise
Chapter 16: Stalemated
Chapter 17: Deceived
Chapter 18: Issues
Chapter 19: Encounter
Chapter 20: Debut
Side Story: The Maid and The Knight
Chapter 21: New Start
Chapter 22: Gone
Chapter 23: Lies
Chapter 24: Redemption
Chapter 25: Trickster
Chapter 26: Fame
Chapter 27: Charmed
Chapter 28: Grand
Special Extra: Bidding
Chapter 30: Conflict
Chapter 31: Frick
Chapter 32: Bloom
Chapter 33: Peace
Chapter 34: Farewell
Chapter 35: Familiar
Chapter 36: Relations
Chapter 37: Entrance
Chapter 38: Recognition
Chapter 39: Misery
Chapter 40: Despair
Chapter 41: Change
Chapter 42: Retribution
Chapter 43: Journey
Chapter 44: Cleave
Chapter 45: Fin
Author's Note
New Fanfic
Peek-A-Boo

Chapter 29: Obsession

6.4K 263 343
By FreshRawRot

~ Athanasia POV ~

Ah. It's another day like usual...

Except for the fact that the two most powerful families are having tea together. One side is Obelia while the other is the Karalis. I don't know how to react to this since we're technically all related. But why are my parents so calm?

Like, don't they find it suspicious that the emperor himself requested an audience with us? Ugh, this guy.

I glance at him with a frown as he just sits still with that deadpan face. He's even looking at my mother! Did he also got attracted by her beauty? He better not forget that she's already taken by father and has a child which is me!

"Anastasia, I made you some chocolate" Jennette offers me. "Would you like to try some?"

"A-Ah. Sure" I pick up the tasty-looking chocolates and put them in my mouth. "Thank you. It's delicious!" Wow, it's actually really good.

"I'm glad you like it!~" She smiles widely at me and I nod in agreement. Then she turns to our moms and offers it to them. "Would you like some?"

Her mother rejects her, saying that it's too much sugar for her. My mom takes one and compliments her well while savoring it.

"Oh! This taste!" My mom was astonished by it. "Did you perhaps get the nuts from the Sidonna Kingdom?"

Jennette nods with delight. "Yes!~"

We all chatter like normal ladies while the men just sit in silence, bored, and tired of our conversation. Sometimes, I don't get Claude's intention of inviting us if he's going to sit and watch us. Oh! Is it because we're getting the honor of being able to have time with the ruler of Obelia? Ugh, pathetic.

"... I met the king once" Claude said and we all looked at him. Well... that is random to say.

"Oh did you?" My mother clapped her hands together. "How was the meeting with my brother?" She said even though we despites him.

My father kept on giving my uncle the death stares the whole time when I met him. He was nice, only because my father was glaring at him. We had a conversation regarding the state of the kingdom and he offered me the throne right in front of the court. Of course, rumors spread but I quickly rejected him, saying that I only want to inherit my household as Duchess of Karalis.

"I don't remember," He bluntly tells us and we become speechless. H-How?

"That's right, you used to be the princess before you became the Duchess!" Penelope said to my mother and she nods. "How did you guys meet?"

My parents and I flinched while looking at her anxiously. "Hm?" My mother stared at her blankly with a smile. "How did we meet?"

"Yes, and why you guys fell in love and all that!" She pouts. "Come on, Dian! I'm dying to know"

The two of us broke into a cold sweat as everyone's eyes were on them. Father stays calm and looks at my mother, waiting for her to give an answer. I was also nervous because first off, I still don't know how they met and we have new identities for god sake! How did we not come up with our full backstory yet?!

"Erm." She coughed and grinned normally. "We met in the Sidonna Kingdom"

My face turns gloomy as I stare at her in disbelief. Mother, you can do better than that.

"Well... how and where specifically?" Penelope said.

"We met in the palace when I was visiting" My father took over the conversation and we both sighed in relief. Mother is not good at making up stories. "I roamed around and then saw her playing in the field. My first thought was... 'Is that a hobo?'"

My mother's vein popped and glared at him while keeping her grin. "Oh yes. I remember that time and when I saw you. I thought you were an intruder and guards tackled you"

"Yep, I remember that" He also glared at her with a happy expression and the atmosphere around us got intense. "You had no manners whatsoever even at the party"

"Ah and you had that foul mouth of yours, insulting everyone so arrogantly and no feelings at all"

They continued to create lies about how they met but at this point, it's just an insult battle. We watch both of them arguing like children and I was done with them. This is nothing new, to be honest. Back at the mansion, they would argue in the afternoon and suddenly makeup after that then get back to work. It's a routine.

***

Well, that was chaotic. They managed to finish the roller coaster of a story to them and they actually believed it. This is so wild to think that their love story is actually real...

"I heard you're the heir to your household" Penelope talks to me and I nod. "I thought you were going to inherit the throne of the Sidonna Kingdom"

"Hehe. That's just a rumor" I chuckled. "Besides, I'm unfit to be a ruler anyway so I think handling a dukedom is enough for me"

"What are you talking about, Anastasia?" Jennette pouts and startles me. "You did way more things for the people and you're also loved by them despite being a foreigner! How can you say that about yourself?!"

I break off a bit of sweat and nervously smile at her. "Well even so with all those accomplishments. I still don't think I'm fit to rule a kingdom"

"... What do you mean?"

"I'm just.... Not interested" I grinned at her so she wouldn't worry. "It's my decision,"

"Ermmm..." She mumbles gibberish in anxiety and gives me a sad face. "One day, you'll change your mind. I just know it!" She said in determination.

"Sure, one day" I giggled at her cute expression.

***

We finished our tea and meeting. My parents and I prepare to leave the palace. We bow to them and say the blessing line while thanking them for the invite. Jennette and Penelope greet us with warm hearts and tells us to come again. We smiled and chatted for a short time before going.

"Before you go" A voice stops us from walking back to our carriage. We turned around and faced the emperor.

"Yes, Your Majesty?" I stared at him with a straight face as he gave me the cold eyes.

"If there was a kingdom that was unwilling to open a route leading to a river that is essential to the people after signing a treaty where the empire provides them resources in exchange for the trade route, what would you do?" He asked.

W-What? Why is he quizzing me??

"First off, if the kingdom fails to negotiate. Wouldn't it be best to give them a warning along with harsher terms?" I suggested but I need more time to think about this situation. "And if they still refuse, you can just stop the supply line to them. However, Your Majesty. I am unable to come up with a proper response to this mess"

We looked at each other expressionlessly while our families stood aside awkwardly. This guy doesn't know crap about me and yet he wants to test me? My pink eyes reflected in his blue jewel eyes that showed no emotion whatsoever. But I wasn't afraid nor brave, I also showed no emotion and glared at him.

"So what would you do then?" He stares at me intensely and I remain unfazed by his threatening look.

".... Blessing and Glory upon the Obelia empire. Good day, Your Majesty" I turned around and left him without answering his question.

Then I looked back at him and expressed my opinion. "Use force"

~ 3rd POV ~

Claude sits in his office and thinks about Anastasia's response to his quiz but he was more focused on her expression. It was different and unusual to him for some reason. He thought it looked similar, especially the cold glare she gave back to him as if she was mad at him.

"Felix, what do you think of that one Karalis girl?" He can't stop thinking about her because she was stronger than he thought.

"Anastasia? She's a kind and bright woman" Felix grins in delight while Claude gives him a straight face. "Intelligent and strong too!"

"... Did you get information on the Duchess yet?"

Felix flinched and nodded nervously as Claude told him to give the information. The research on the Karalis was requested by the emperor himself after he got curious about them. The maids from the Ruby palace working for the Karalis didn't raise any eyebrows nor did Felix visit to train the daughter. However, it brought attention to Claude when Lucas starts to visit the mansion soon Jennette was the last straw.

Unpleased with Anastasia flirting with Jennette, he begins to keep an eye on them, especially the Karalis girl. However, he wasn't interested in the family until the Duchess started entering his life. The confrontation surprised him when she requested an audience with him regarding her friend, Penelope. He gets interested in her and a series of events happen as he watches from afar. Unable to recognize the feeling in his heart that forms as he continues to watch her, his mind messes with him during his sleep as he regains his forbidden memories. But still, he can't see the woman's face in his dreams.

"... So what do you have?" Claude rubs his forehead as he gets a splitting headache just trying to remember what he saw in his dream.

"Erm. She's just a normal princess in the Sidonna Kingdom that married the Duke.... 13 years ago" He said.

"Isn't their daughter 17 though?"

"Yes, but their registration didn't go through properly," Felix explained. "Overall they seem like a happy family together!" He was sweating with his lips quivering. "Your Majesty, please focus on other things. There's nothing suspicious about them"

"You say that as if there is something suspicious about them"

"Well, there isn't! Your Majesty, you're acting strange and I'm afraid that you might have..."

"Might what?"

"Taken a liking to the Duchess" Felix clear his throat as sweat forms all over his body. He had always been suspecting it ever since the festival. He recognized the look the moment he noticed him staring at Dian. It was something unpleasant and upsetting to Felix but he was also afraid of the truth. With those eyes, it's not given to just anyone but it did express one past feeling that was lost long ago.

"That's ridiculous. Where did you get that from?"

Felix stared at him with a stern face as he thought about his response. One death glare and menacing aura from the emperor, he immediately makes up his mind.

"My apology. I have misunderstood, Your Majesty" Felix gives up and accepts the fact there's nothing going on. "I just think that checking their background is strange because Your Majesty has never been interested in it"

"I'm just doing it for the safety of Jennette and Penelope if they're going to continue being friends" He states and excuses Felix from his office.

Felix clenches his fist while looking at the ground gloomily. 'I hope that's the case' He frowns and walks down the hall.

~ Athanasia POV ~

"... Your Majesty, are you bored?" I put down my teacup and stared at him blankly.

"Yes..." He responded bluntly at me. He has some nerve to tell me that when it was him who requested an audience with me and me only.

"Then why did you invite me?" I sighed and glanced at Felix who was watching us from a distance.

My parents found it strange that the emperor wanted to see me. So for my safety, my mother offers to come with me to the palace so I wouldn't get nervous. However, I was already fine going alone, the only thing that worries me is my mother. I noticed that damn Claude was looking at her from time to time with a suspicious face. He better not hurt her! Whatever at least I convinced my mother to stay home.

"I invited you so you can finish your answer for the question I had earlier" He leans back. "So do you have one?"

This... asshole. He really drags me from my home just for me to finish his stupid quiz.

I sighed and calmly answered him. "If the Kingdom refused to corporate with the treaty, then you would have to use force against them"

"Force?"

"Yes, take the route yourself or invade the castle" I responded. "Only then will they listen"

"Wouldn't it cause war though?"

"Didn't they break their promise?" I frowned and he stayed silent. "What's the point of a peace treaty if they don't cooperate? With the people outraged and the kingdom up in a blaze, wouldn't it be best to talk to the king directly, Your Majesty?" The atmosphere was quiet and serious. "But that is if they don't listen to the warnings of course. Moreover, these are my opinions after all."

"....." He nods his head slowly but I can't tell if he approves of it or not. "Then I'll ask you another question"

"You may proceed, Your Majesty"

***

I don't know if he's impressed or disappointed in my answers. He just kept his dead face on the entire time as I responded to his weird political affairs. Ranging from imports and construction to war and rebellions. It was all over the place but luckily I was prepared for it due to all those times studying how to be an Empress until we eventually gave up on that dream. But I still study for the sake of inheriting my household.

"Felix, escort the girl back to her carriage" He stands up along with me.

"Blessing and Glory upon the Obelia empire" I curtsy. "Thank you for inviting me"

"... this won't be the last time we see each other," He said in a low cold tone. "Be prepare for the next one"

Oh... he's going to quiz me again. Is this revenge for all those times of me smirking at him with a smug face while stealing Jennette from him? Possibly because she does admire me a lot.

"Anastasia, let's go" Felix walks by my side and we go out into the hallway.

My mind is so full right now. I thought I would be free of all troubles but now I have to deal with Claude's behavior. Ugh, he makes me sick to the stomach. Tried to kill me when I was a baby and even killed the original Athanasia when she was framed. How can this guy even function?

SHUDDER

Hm?

My body freezes in place as my eyes widen in shock. This feeling... It's familiar...

Felix stopped walking and was confused by my sudden action. I ignored him and turned to the side, staring at the garden in astonishment. It's basically telling me to come...

"Anastasia, is something wrong?"

I stared at the tree and bushes in the distance with my eyebrows furrowed. I should trust my instincts.... "Felix, may I explore the palace first?"

"Eh? Are you sure?" Felix got a little concern for me. "If I leave you alone, I'm worried you might.... You know panic like last time"

"Felix, that was 3 years ago" I grinned at him. "It's ok, I'm not a child anymore. I'll be fine"

"... Ok," He nods. "Meet me at the gate once you're finished. Ah! I'll give you about an hour to explore and that's it! Ok?"

"Ok, Felix" I smiled and he ran off in the hallway.

Phew. Now that he's gone. It's for me to explore my instincts and go into that mysterious tree. I walked into the sunlight and to the bushes as I felt even more uneasy about this. My gut is telling me to leave yet my brain is telling me to go in deeper and search the area. I took a deep breath and proceeded to step into the bushes that lead to the big tree.

I go inside to see this area open around the tree and go around it. This place is empty...

Ugh, why did I even listen to my instincts? What a disappointment.

I frowned and pinch my forehead in frustration. I turned around to leave the bush and tree until a pair of arms suddenly appeared from my side. An attacker?!

I tried to defend myself against this person and elbowed quick but I hit nothing. I turned around to see nobody. It was impossible because I swore someone was behind me! Am I hallucinating now?

"Hey!"

"Ack!" My fighting mood activates and my arm automatically hits the person out of fright.

SWISH

My wrist is grabbed by the person and he stares at me in disbelief.

"Seriously?" He let go of my arm and I was startled by his appearance.

"What are you doing here, Lucas?!" I was surprised to see him here.

"To snatch you away for me," He said so boldly as if we're intimated. "But it seems like you come to me all on your own" He smirked at me smugly and I remained indifferent.

"So you were the one who called me here?" I rubbed the back of my head.

"Actually, I didn't call you here. You just came to me by yourself because you knew I was here" He teases me. "As I thought, you like me more than you think"

The moment he said that I heard a thump in my chest. I feel embarrassed by this but I shouldn't.

"... I do" I said and he gaped at me in surprise. Wait, why did I say that? Is it because I like him as a friend? Possibly but I don't think of him any more than that....

Do I?

"What?..." He squinted his eyes at me and I did the same with a different expression. "You say that but you don't mean it"

"Wow I got caught" I shrugged my shoulders with a smug smirk but it didn't feel right at all. Ugh, am I sick now? "But really, what do you want?"

"Cold" He comments and my vein pops while one side of my mouth curves. "To meet you. It's been a while"

"Ah, it has been" I stroked my chin and thought about it. We haven't met ever since that... magnificent night.

Wait, what? What the hell am I saying?! Well, it was great because we saw the moon together but like. Ack! I can't explain it!

I blushed really hard at my own thoughts and stood in place. I covered my own face while telling my heart to calm down that was beating so fast. Lucas just watches me go crazy in confusion.

"... Your face is red"

"I know..." I closed my eyes and slowly began to calm down. "This is so frustrating" I sat down on the ground.

"... You need books to cool off?" He sits next to me.

"Well I can't right now because Felix will get suspicious of me carrying it," I said. "Just bring it to my room"

He gave me a bewildered face and a weird frown. I looked at him blankly and tilted my head. "Do you even hear yourself?"

"Huh?"

"You want me to deliver the books straight to you, not just to the mansion but to your room." He frowns. "It's risky..."

"Don't worry, the magic-detection gems in my room are broken, and plus father unsealed my mana with some limitations though" I said. "As long as you go directly to my room and not anywhere else. You'll be fine"

"So I can come anytime now?" He asked and I nodded. "... You better not be lying"

"I'm not besides I also don't want you to get caught by my father"

He taps my forehead and my body gets lighter tremendously. I get a splitting headache that I fall forward but he catches me in his arms.

"You had a lot of dirt on you," He said and helped me get on my feet.

"Yeah, but warn me next time" I rub my forehead and look at him with tired eyes. "... I'll be waiting"

"You shouldn't invite just anyone to your room next time" He puts on a serious face but I was too dizzy to focus.

"Yeah. Yeah," I walk out of the bush. "See you tonight, Lucas"

***

I looked at the clock and waited for everyone to sleep. Although we have some night-workers, they still won't be able to detect magic within this mansion so I'm ok! I got out of bed and put on my coat then went out to my balcony. I leaned against the ledge and stared at the stars while waiting for him.

"Sigh. What's taking him so long?" I mumbled and gazed at the sky.

The moon looks beautiful as always but I think I prefer the Black Tower view. It reminds me of Lucas for some reason. Probably because he brought me there and we gazed at it together. However, my brain isn't focused on the moon but on him now.

My mind must be messing with me. I'll admit that he's handsome and attractive but that's just because he is. Ugh, I really can't make an excuse for this. Not to mention, I get this strange feeling in my heart every time I look at him. He makes me feel nervous yet excited or calmed or crazy. It's all confusing to me now.

"Thinking of me?" Lucas appears in front of me with a smug smirk and I sneer back at him.

He made my heart pound when I should've expected him though. Ugh, what is happening to me??

I scanned his body while stroking my chin. He's wearing a new wizard outfit that I never have seen before and his hair is long this time. He actually looks good in it but I never expect that he'll be this attractive though.

Ah.... I'm doing it again.

".... Where are the books?" I weakly asked while turning my body around in embarrassment at my own thoughts. God, what in the world is happening to me?

"Oh. Here!" He snaps his fingers and a pile of books appears on my desk.

I ran to it with my eyes hungry for words, I lit up with glee and opened the first book. "Wow!~" I read the first page in delight. "Thanks, Lucas"

"You should read them tomorrow and get some sleep" Lucas suggests.

I closed the book while sulking. "I guess..." I frowned and looked at him with sad eyes.

He flinched at my sad expression and stared at me in bafflement. "What's with that look?" He snaps his fingers and my body automatically moves into bed. "Go to sleep already" He commands me and stands on the side of my bed.

I lay on my side and he was reading the book. I stared at him while thinking about our past from the beginning to the end. It's shocking to see ourselves like this when we nearly killed each other in the first place. But now, I don't want to see him hurt anymore and stay by my side... However, I can't be too greedy for now.

Sigh. This is so confusing... How many times have I said that already?

"... Lucas, didn't you say you don't sleep much?" I asked while appreciating his beauty in the dark. Eh, I'll accept that weird part of me now.

"... Yeah, I did"

"Well sleep is important"

"And? I'm still not going to sleep" He closed his book and made it vanish in his hands. "Now go to sleep"

Be a good friend. Be a good friend. Be a good friend. Be a good friend. Be a good friend. Be a good friend.

Then an idea came into my mind but I didn't like it yet it's intriguing.

Resist. Resist. Resist. Resist. Resist. Resist. Resist. Resist. Resist.

Ugh.

"Not until you do" I sat up and he furrowed his eyebrows in astonishment.

"What? How are you going to do that?" He taunts me and I grin with an angry face.

"By forcing you to" I grabbed his arm and pulled him into my bed. He was taken back by my action and gaped at me in shock.

I cannot undo my action so I might as well roll with it.

"You're... very bold" He grits his teeth at me and tries to get up but my hand automatically pulls him back in. What the hell am I doing? "I'm warning you now that you shouldn't pull me into bed so freely or anyone else" His eyes glow up in the dark but my face remains expressionlessly due to all the embarrassment that my brain is trying to process in which it's broken now.

"Lucas, just go to sleep," I told him. "Once you sleep and wake up, you can leave. Besides, nobody is allowed in here unless I tell them to come in" I grinned and he gives me a stern face.

"You really are fearless" He holds my hand and begins absorbing my mana. "But not smart enough"

I smiled at him with ease and closed my eyes. "Whatever, I trust you. That's why I'm not afraid" I told him. "Now go to sleep"

I felt his arm wrapped around my waist and pulled me in. Because of that, I couldn't relax and sleep normally. I try not to think about it too much but the way I'm imagining this is just embarrassing!! I get that pulling in bed was a bit much but now hugging me to sleep??

"This is your fault," He said and my heart jumps while blood rushes to my head.

I definitely regret it now!

*TIME SKIP* - Weeks Later -

So I managed to sleep thankfully due to Lucas absorbing my mana and he left in the morning just in time. However, he was in a grumpy mood when I met him after but clung onto me like a dog which was the total opposite reaction of what I expected. Needless to say, he was very possessive of me as a friend and it didn't bother me but I wasn't happy either which really shows that I'm becoming a psychopath.

"Anastasia"

Ah! I blanked out again. "Yes?" I blinked and looked at everyone.

We were all together again for this simple tea party however the only difference is. My father is gone because he has gone on a 'business' trip. While he was away, Lucas came into the mansion through the front entrance whenever he wanted without any trouble. My mom didn't even care about him and just pretended that he's allowed to come. Then it became chaotic when Ijekiel and Jennette started to visit me. And that was the beginning of his possessiveness.

"His Majesty just told me what you did for him," Mother said and I tilted my head in confusion.

"I did?" I looked at the emperor grimace with a frown. "Oh, I'm guessing the situation is regarding the trade route is that right?" I sighed and put on a smile.

"That's right. Those people finally listened and obeyed according to the treaty" He tiredly stared at me.

"Wow! You're amazing!" Jennette compliments me. "You managed to help my father with one of his political affairs!"

"Yes, that's very impressive" Penelope sulks and sips her bitterass tea. "Your daughter is very intelligent, Dian"

"Well, she is always studying every day by herself" My mother grinned and we all focus on her.

"Study by herself? Every day?"

My mother and I nod. "She has a really talented brain that she managed to become fluent in at least 4 languages, skilled with the sword, dancing, and much more" My mother brags about me and gives me a soft smile. "But I hope that you're not pushing yourself," She said in concern.

I grinned brightly at her and shook my head. "Don't worry, I'm not pushing myself, and also I have a lot of free time for other activities too!"

She sighs and reassures me that I can always take a break. Mother is always worried about my health but not my being apparently. She even lets Lucas in whenever without fighting him like father would but that's ok since he's a trusted friend. However, Ijekiel was random especially when he became my escort out of nowhere. I even complained about him trespassing into my library and yet mother lets him in?

She's so confusing and supportive at the same time.

"So you read books for fun? Did you ever have a tutor?" Jennette looks at me sorrowfully.

"I did but they got removed when I turned 14," I said. "Apparently I was too advanced for them to teach me and it was best if I go to Arlanta academy but my father refused the offer along with me. Therefore, I'm self-learning everything on my own except for knight training, staying isolated in the mansion until I finally got released"

Jennette's eyes were teary and watery from my sad and pitiful story. "Anastasia..." Her mouth was wide open. "I'm so sorry that you have to live that way!" She ran to me with open arms and hugged my neck tight.

"Woah! Ok!" She startled me with a tight hug. "It's ok! I'm used to it!" She hugs me even tighter, nearly choking me. This girl can really hug! "Princess, calm down. It's ok" I pat her back and looked at our moms.

They both grin, enjoying our close friendship. I begged my mom to do something but she just let it happen. And so I had to comfort Jennette after hearing my story then she went back to her chair and gave me a stern face. "If you need any help, just come to me!"

"Thanks, Princess" I grinned and held her hand.

Claude, who witnessed everything, stayed quiet the entire time with that dead face. I remember watching Penelope trying to make small talk with him and ultimately failing in the end while the rest of us awkwardly watch. Jennette and my mom felt pity for her while the three of us didn't care because we knew about her true self in the past. Of course, I read it from the novel while they experienced it.

"By the way, what kind of solution did she give, father?" Jennette asked him in curiosity.

"I used force as suggested by Anastasia and it worked" He sips his tea and Jennette frowns in disapproval.

"F-Force? Isn't that bad though?" Jennette comments and I look at her with pity. This girl has not accepted the harsh part of reality yet huh? She turns her head to me with her eyes wide open. "You actually gave that?"

"Princess, it's the least harmful solution for them to fill their part of the treaty," I said.

"Treaty? What treaty?" She was shaken by the information and I tried to comfort her.

"Jennette, I know it's hard but in some cases, these types of actions are necessary and it's not just for the sake of the people but also our morals" I explained to her the importance of handling and ruling a country while she frowns in sadness. "It's ok. You'll understand politics and someday you'll get the throne and be a great leader" I reassured her that everything will go well.

Hopefully, I don't think this girl's mind can handle it though unless she accepts reality.

"Will you stay by my side?" She holds onto my hand tight and pleads me with puppy eyes.

I grinned and held her hand while nodding. "Of course I will"

"Thank you, as long as you stay by my side. I'm willing to accept anything" She smiled and I did awkwardly. Not good words nor do I understand but it's a start.

"Interesting" The emperor comments on our friendship and startles us. We both faced him in confusion as he tilts his head at us in curiosity. "Anastasia, you're able to handle the situation very well and persuasive too."

"Yeah. It's a required skill if I want to inherit the title of my household" I said. "Most things are required just to be part of the family and the leader is the hardest one of them all" I explained to him all the things that we went through and made up a family tradition. I continued blabbering intelligent things, hoping that he'll lose interest but instead he was actually interested in it and listened to me all the way until the end.

"I see..." He glances at Jennette and she twitches while holding my arm. "Anastasia, does the throne of this empire appeal to you in any way?" He asked a random and shocking question.

Penelope and Jennette gasped in shock while mother and I were stunned. "Pardon?" I tilt my head at him. What does this guy want?

"I'm asking if you're interested in taking my place as ruler of the Obelia empire," He said sternly and we both looked at each other in the eyes deeply, not breaking contact or changing expressions.

Is this man for real? Giving your throne away to some foreigner and not your own child? The only bloodline of the royal family excluding us?! Why is he so cruel to his own daughter?

I continued staring at him in his cold eyes, searching for signs of other things. But nothing.

What should I say?

"Your Majesty, you can't be serious" Penelope smiled in anguish. "Jennette is the only sole heir to the throne! Anastasia is just her friend! She doesn't even have the imperial blood running through her veins!"

"Shush" He silenced her and I felt Jennette trembling in fright. She probably feels betrayed that her father is offering his throne to someone else's daughter rather than his own. He really is the cold emperor.

Wait. Cold and blunt... A loving father yet doesn't express it. Wow, it all makes sense now.

"Pff!" I turned to the side and covered my mouth while shaking with laughter. Everyone stared at me in disbelief at the fact that I have some nerve to laugh in front of the emperor. I faked a teardrop and then revealed my joyful face to them. "Funny joke, Your Majesty!" I chuckled. Man, he's horrible at being sarcastic. "I can never imagine myself inheriting a throne from someone that's not related to me!"

"... oh so it's a joke" Jennette laughs with me and then Penelope joins in. My mother grins through the whole thing, watching us enjoy ourselves.

"Of course, Your Majesty wouldn't give it to someone that isn't his blood relative" Penelope jokes and he looks at her expressionlessly.

"There isn't a law that requires the heir to be related to the ruler and if so I can change it," He said and Penelope's face became pale.

"I mean the only way for me to be a ruler is for me to marry Jennette" I snickered and she was caught by surprise at my statement. "There is no law that forbids same-sex marriage but also no law that allows it"

"Wait!" Jennette was happy and had a bright expression. I have never seen her this happy before... "Father, is it possible that you can make that a law?"

"Of course, I'm the emperor" He sips his tea gloomily and she squeals in excitement.

"Hmmm, two emperors or two empresses. It would certainly be in the history book" I smirked smugly at him. "We'll see in the future eventually"

Bonus Story: That Night

~ Lucas POV ~

I slept soundly in the comfortable soft bed with something warm hugging me. Ugh, when was the last time I had a good night's sleep? This will be one of the best sleep I ever have so far only because there's something special about this one. It satisfies me that I'm getting treated properly with mana and sleep given to me.

Crack

Some strange noises wake me up from my slumber but I still keep my eyes closed. What is that?

Crunch

The sound rings again in my ear but only closer this time. I opened my eyes to see Athanasia sleeping peacefully by my side with our hands locked together. She is such a heavy sleeper and bold too. Her face was mesmerizing and I stared at it for a long time to appreciate her beauty even when she's asleep.

How can I resist such a beautiful woman?

Crush

Sigh. The sound has officially annoyed me that I turned my head back to see what it was. But when I did, I immediately regretted it the moment I saw a familiar silhouette standing above me. I nervously break into a cold sweat while the man continues to crack his knuckles with an evil grin in fury. His blonde hair exposed and jewel eyes glowing up in the dark with a menacing aura. I knew I was in big trouble.

"Sorry, did I interrupt your sleep?" He glares at me and cracks his bones. I stared at his fists and back to his face. "It seems like you're finally awake but not in the way that I like"

"Duke, I can explain-"

"You know what? Since we're coincidentally awake at the same time, why won't we stretch our bodies?" He grabs my collar and we teleport outside in an unknown area.

It was a forest.

THUMP

He throws me from the air and I crash to the ground. God, I am not prepared for this.

"Lucas, let's spar together" He summons a sword in his hand and walks toward me with it as I get off the ground. I can't even sense his level of magic and with that aura, I don't think I will be able to avoid this.

"And try to explain why you were in my daughter's bed while you're at it" His presence gets even more intense and dangerous as it grows and comes closer to me.

His eyes and smile frighten me a bit when he has a thirst for murder. I swallowed my saliva as a drop of sweat slid down the side of my face.

*DANGER: NEW BOSS HAS ARRIVED*

Anastacius' Stats: You better not mess with this man.

HP: you dead.

Attack: say goodbye to life.

Evasion: better pray to god now.

Magic: prepare your last words.

Special: beg for mercy.

*LET THE EXECUTION BEGIN*

End of Chapter 29

AN: Hehehehehehe. It shall begin.

|Word Count: 6457|

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

30.4K 1K 41
Book 1 ༺ 𝓡𝓾𝓫𝓲𝓪 𝓭𝓮 𝓐𝓵𝓰𝓮𝓻 𝓞𝓫𝓮𝓵𝓲𝓪! ༻ How the hell did that happen? When Lisa took her last breath under water, she thought that was it...
100K 2.6K 25
You have always been a close friend to Claude for his whole entire life. You knew how he was neglected and all that's why you promised to always be t...
78.8K 3K 59
Y/n. The Princess of Obelia. A beauty indeed. The youngest daughter of Diana and Claude, Obelia's Crowned Princess and the sister of the well-known...
85.6K 3.1K 41
A wmmap fanfic . What if Athanasia wasn't the only royal child ? What if another princess was born before her to the Emperor and Empress ? She who w...