𝑪𝑨𝑳𝑳 𝑶𝑭 𝑻𝑯𝑬 𝑺𝑬𝑨 ¹...

By hiraethsr

❝ a mermaid belongs to the sea. she cannot stay on land without the guarantee of her death. ❞ ❝ yes, but her... More

.call of the sea
.epigraph
.prologue
.act one
i. verity of the sea
ii. a scroll of a quest
iii. a decision to make
iv. journey to rivendell
v. imladris
vi. son of arathorn
vii. a peculiar bunch
viii. a new friend
ix. secrets of the elves
x. frodo awakens
xi. arguing knuckleheads
xii. damsel in distress
xiii. fellowship of the ring
xiv. lasting goodbyes
xv. and so it begins
.act two
xvi. secrets revealed
xvii. tales of the sea
xviii. jealousy is a fickle thing
xix. bane of my existence
xx. mines of moria
xxi. they are coming
xxii. the first battle
xxiii. fall of one
xxiv. bonding experiences
xxv. lothlórien
xxvi. lady of light
xxvii. river of sorrow
xxviii. departure from the elves
xxix. dangerous rendezvous
xxx. grief, we meet again
.act three
xxxi. blue
xxxii. a new hope
xxxiii. responsibility of the crown
xxxiv. that fateful day
xxxv. determind souls
xxxvi. enemy's words
xxxvii. a trace of hope
xxxviii. garden of butterflies
xxxix. riders of rohan
xli. mysteries of the earth
xlii. the dead returns
xliii. ghost counsel
xliv. mother knows best
xlv. what happens now?
.act four
xlvi. start of it all
xlvii. guard buffoons
xlviii. the first clue
xlix. death's door
l. prince of edoras
li. shadow of blood
lii. desperate lies
liii. royal blood
liv. roman
lv. unveiled
lvi. blood and water
lvii. peace in the chaos
lviii. calm before the storm
lix. slaughter of innocence
lx. final day
lxi. the odds
lxii. pin-drop
lxiii. one final spark
lxiv. rain in the fires
lxv. to the death
lxvi. battle of helm's deep
lxvii. victory...or not?
.act five
lxviii. end of the beginning
lxix. from death to life
lxx. the awakening
lxxi. recovery from hell
lxxii. half of the peculiar
lxxiii. glorious defeat
lxxiv. victorious rejoice
lxxv. happiness at last
lxxvi. hail !
lxxvii. the darkness seeps in
lxxviii. temporary farewells
lxxix. mated souls
lxxx. bonds with a princess
lxxxi. the other side
lxxxii. rightful heir to the throne
.act six
lxxxiii. little girls
lxxxiv. what the future holds
lxxxv. lost time
lxxxvi. a cry for help
lxxxvii. start of the end
lxxxviii. death is a friend
lxxxix. just before the end
xc. endless thoughts
xci. father dearest
xcii. the night before
xciii. on the eve
xciv. outside looking in
xcv. boromir's return
xcvi. end of an era
.epilogue
.author's note

xl. water spirits

839 37 1
By hiraethsr

╔═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╗

𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑭𝑶𝑹𝑻𝒀
❝ 𝒘𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒔𝒑𝒊𝒓𝒊𝒕𝒔 ❞

╚═══ -ˋˏ *.·:·.⟐.·:·.* ˎˊ- ═══╝

VERA COULDN'T REMEMBER A TIME WHERE she felt so free.

After the noble men of Rohan departed, Vera was quick to claim her steed, choosing a magnificent white horse by the name Arod, before mounting on it. Aragorn, just as swift as Vera, had mounted a beautiful stallion called Hasufel while Corin, Gimli, and Legolas argued upon who would ride with Vera and who would take the last steed; ultimately, Corin forced Vera to let Legolas ride behind her while Corin and Gimli rode together.

Despite the dislike she held for their current situation, Vera conclusively found that she didn't mind being with him. She didn't exactly know how Legolas felt about their predicament and she had every intention of asking him during their journey, but her words got suck in her throat. However, she didn't linger much on the love disposition between her and Legolas, her mind being entirely enveloped with the prospect of Merry and Pippin's rumored death.

With Legolas riding the horse steadily and ensuring that Vera didn't fall, the mermaid was free to do what she wished for a moment. The air blowing past her face, billowing her hair softly, brought Vera contentment, along with the heavy lift off her chest. She could feel the warm sun's rays befall her carefree form, reminding her of the beauty of the sun, knowing that once she returns to the sea, she would be forced to live her life without it once again. Vera, in that moment of freedom and carelessness, looked absolutely radiant.

Nevertheless, reality was forced back into her hands abruptly, pushing her back into the harsher aspects of life and compelling her to open her eyes once again as the horses come to a stop. Vera has seen death, she has seen bloodshed, and she has seen war but when her eyes landed on the burning pile, it brought her more nausea than she expected. Perhaps it was because there was a chance that her own friends are part of the flaming hill of bodies, which would soon decay and turn black.

Vera swallows, eyeing the head on the pike and grimaces slightly at the vile stench arising. Aragorn dismounts his horse, attempting to hide his frantic efforts of observing the land. Vera's hazel eyes raise in alarm as she finds no clue of their survival, only drifting her eyes to the ashen carcasses with disbelief and denial.

Vera wastes no time in dismounting her horse — only appearing to seem like she dragged her body off of the horse pathetically — and rushes forward to inspect the pile of dead bodies with clear detail, using her keen eyes to find their bodies in some way amongst the melting flesh, which proved to be a challenge. Legolas and Corin join her, doing their best to audit the stack of bodies. Gimli swiftly maneuvers through the tall bodies around him and rushes forward with the intention of finding their forms, rummaging through the crisp carcasses.

Resisting the urge to hurl her contents out, she grips Corin's hand and buries her head into his shoulder. Thankfully, Gimli has the decency to use his axe in replacement of his hands, foraging through the smoldering Uruks. Vera doesn't understand how they could ever find their bodies, cringing once her eyes land on the half-melted face and turning away in a rush, gagging loudly.

But as Gimli retrieves an object from the unidentifiable corpses, Vera's eyes widen as she catches sight of the elf-gifted belts in his hands, and they tear instantly. Corin quickly places an arm around her shoulders, attempting to avert her eyes away from the belt as she lets out a pained gasp mixed with a strangled cry from her throat. She clasps a hand over her mouth, the realization of their deaths settling into her chest.

"It's one of their wee belts," Gimli mournfully identifies, pointing it out to the rest of the group as they wallow in their sorrows. Corin was given the task of supporting Vera, seeing as he hadn't had the chance of encountering the Hobbits during their journey.

"Hiro hyn hîdh ab 'wanath," the elven prince mutters in his native tongue, bowing his head. He eyes Vera, hoping to compose her properly but lets Corin continue the job, knowing that she would need a new presence to comfort herself with. Aragorn screams out in defeat, dropping to his knees despondently. Vera didn't expect the man to lash out harshly, but at the moment, she didn't care as much, feeling the same desire to scream her cries out. He sits in despair, hanging his head low, undoubtedly blaming himself for their deaths.

Vera sniffles, departing from Corin's embrace to rest a hand on Aragorn's shoulder comfortingly. Vera leans down to encircle her arms around Aragorn, resting her head on his back as she meets eyes with Legolas, blurring her vision with her tears but managing to decipher the small smile sent to her by the prince. Every inch of her body yearned to be part of his embrace but she held her guard, snuggling her head further into Aragorn's back, knowing he would need the comfort more than Legolas. Instead, she settles for a comforting look directed for him, giving him enough attention to know what she wanted.

"We failed them," Gimli states forlornly, bowing his head in shame. Legolas places an arm over his chest as an elvish custom, Vera recognizing the action as a farewell before she bows her own head in shame, letting her gaze shift from Legolas to the other side, fully intent on helping Aragorn to his feet. However, she stops in her actions and lets her limbs hang in the air once her gaze lands on unrecognizable dents on the ground, implanted on the soil like a footprint would.

It caught her attention immediately, urging her to stand to her feet hastily, ignoring her friends' curious gazes directed towards her. A glimmer of hope suddenly arises inside; she recognizes the print marks engraved into the ground, giving her enough hope and joy to turn to her friends with happy tears in her eyes.

"Aragorn," she croaks out, managing to successfully find her voice among the clog in her throat and alerting the others.

Maneuvering to stand beside her, Aragorn peers down at the dents she stares upon, crouching his form to inspect and feel the body prints below. "A Hobbit lay here, and the other," he classifies, brushing his hands gently on their lain spots. Vera feels the hope dwindling in her chest start to bloom like a rose on a spring day, emitting a run of rushed energy and adrenaline coursing through her veins. As Aragorn starts to move in pursuit of their prints, Vera follows quickly, leaning closer to observe them herself and aiding Aragorn in his search. "They crawled," he realizes, moving forward.

Vera doesn't lose focus, shifting through the rooted grass and leftover armor to find the rest of the markings to indicate something; their survival, their mission to safety, anything. "Their hands were bound," she murmurs, quickly scrambling to search for the ropes that were previously tied around them. "Their bonds were cut," she continues, finally finding the bonds used for her dear Hobbit friends.

Vera scrambles towards the rest of the footprints implanted, feeling an abundance of relief for her friends' possible survival. Legolas, Gimli, and Corin follow behind the duo, who tracks their progress and continues onwards with the peek of their durability shining through and urging Vera's determination further. "They ran over here," Aragorn pinpoints, position his finger to linger atop the marks as he rushes his footsteps with Vera and the others following closely. "They were followed."

Vera's breath hitches in her throat, her worry increasingly rising with every tense minute passing and urging her to continue searching for more clues on where they could go and where they could possibly be, remaining oblivious to the borders of Fangorn Forest right beside their location. She horribly worried about her Hobbit friends, hoping that they remained unharmed and completely safe as of this moment, noting that anything could've happened to them in the darkness and the dead of night. She hated that she couldn't protect them but she was done wallowing in self-pity and blaming herself for something she couldn't control.

"The track leads away from the battle..." Aragorn urgently tells the others, noticing Vera's worried display and rushing his footsteps to find the Hobbits. Vera and the others follow after him, running urgently without much consideration and attention given to their surroundings, intimately focused on the ground and the footsteps. "...into Fangorn Forest," Aragorn finishes, stopping abruptly in his steps as they halt to stare at the vicious forest before them, guarded with the dark, gnarled trees and their thick leaves.

Vera stops in her own steps, parting her lips in perception, acknowledging the dangers that could possibly await them in the darkness of the forest. Her head rings alarm bells at the prospect of entering the woods and knowingly bringing her friends into danger but swallows her fear and doubt back with determination, reminding herself that those same dangers can be encountered by her two, defenseless, and innocent Hobbit friends, who can barely raise a sword with using their energy. At least with two carefully trained warriors from the sea, an elven, Mirkwood bowmaster trained by the very best, a strong Ranger with kingly blood, and a Dwarf Lord in their hands, they could provide some safety procedures and protection.

"Fangorn? What madness drove them in there?" Gimli asks, gobsmacked at the prospect of two unsafe Hobbits entering the forest with no guards or any means of defense, risking their lives in the process.

"The same madness that leads us to them," is all Vera answers, loyally sticking to her word and means of protection. Without hesitation, Vera marches towards the trees with the intention of finding her Hobbit friends and returning them back to safety, only to be roughly pulled back to Corin's side as two arms outstretched to hold her back and restrain her movements towards the unknown darkness of Fangorn Forest. She cries out in surprise, yelping as her long skirts get caught in her steps and result in a near fall, thankfully caught by Legolas and held in his vice grip.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?!" Corin hisses, his eyes wide with alarm at the recklessness of her movements and intentions, and remaining firm in his grip on her right wrist while Legolas softens his own grip slightly on her left, just enough for her to wriggle but not enough for her to leave. Legolas is fully aware that her determination is much stronger than her clear head and she will do everything in her power to reach the Hobbits which may result in rough wriggling on her part; he didn't want to hurt her.

She widens her eyes in anger, predictably squirming in their vice grips and desperately attempting to separate from them, flashing them deadly looks and helpless glances towards Aragorn and Gimli. "Corin! Let me go! Leggy, you—" she starts to threaten, throwing a murderous glare at Legolas who restrains from raising his arms in surrender.

"You aren't going into that forest alone and unprotected. Anything could linger in those woods, Vera," Legolas softly murmurs to her ear, giving her a pointed look in return. Vera sighs, rendering herself useless in this situation because she knows that she can't argue against him without considering his words. It truly is unfair how much power he holds over her.

"They're alone and unprotected," Vera passionately utters back, connecting eyes with Legolas with compassion and plea clearly visible in her soft blends of green eyes. He falters slightly, taken aback with the amount of emotion in her eyes, and loosening his grip on her slightly, letting his fingers brush over her soft-skinned wrist gently before finally releasing his hold on her completely. "I have to get to them before they die."

"Vera," interjects Aragorn, giving her a look to remain calm at the moment. "We should discuss our options."

"Options? What's there to discuss? We have to get to Merry and Pippin— we don't know what's in that forest, they could be dead for all we know, please—" she mutters helplessly, exasperation sitting at the edge of her tone and keening on their instincts.

"Exactly!" Corin interrupts. "We don't know what's in that forest. It's best that we weigh our options before going into the dangers of Fangorn headfirst. We won't be of much use to the Hobbits if we are dead! I may be your friend and as much as I want to let you go — which, honestly, isn't enough — I have a job and I need to uphold it. I will risk my life for you and I'm sure your friends will, too. Remember that before you bring us all into ruin!" He sighs deeply, realizing the harshness in his tone and attempt to rectify it, "You know I will follow you to the ends of the Earth as my Queen and my friend and willingly die for you...but please—"

"I understand," interferes Vera, cutting him off before he could continue. She understood the risks she would be bringing her friends if she forced them to follow her through the woods but the antsy feeling in her head slightly clouded her judgment. Breaking eyes away from her friends and facing the Forest once more, she raised her head defiantly. "But we won't be of much use if we wait here for them to die. We have weapons, we know how to fight. And I'm not asking any of you to follow me but I will go through the Forest to find the Hobbits. It's either you stay here or follow me. We've gone through so much to give up, please," she begs her friends.

Instinctively, Vera's hazel orbs connect with Legolas' cerulean blue eyes, bridging their hearts together and providing one another with deep emotion and depth in one look. Legolas bows his head, feeling the intensity of her emotional stare dig into his brain and urges him to do the thing she wanted him to do. Because he knows that he will go through hell and back for her with just one look like that. In fact, he was certain that he would break his back just for her because he feels something for her, and if blindly following her through the woods without a second thought meant that it would get her, then he would do it.

"Damnit," Corin mumbles, realizing that her friends would surely follow her into the woods without a second thought, not only for her but for the Hobbits as well. "Okay fine but—" he goes to negotiate, only to cut himself off as something starts to form before their eyes.

A clear, transparent fluid starts to gather together, accumulating simultaneously to form a figure, denting, and molding collectively to create a watery, rich form of a strong woman. Its eyes are crystalline, assembling a mouth and the regular facial features of a person before placing itself on the ground firmly, implanted a few meters away from the Queen but directly in front of her nonetheless. Vera stays silent, gaping at the water spirit that presented itself in front of her and remains in its place without any support, constructing itself from the water vapors in the air and the water that roots deeply into the soil and grassland below them. Then, it stands, poised and straight-backed, and staring at Vera with no emotion.

"What in the bloody hell!" Gimli mutters in disbelief, blinking repeatedly to assure himself that what occurred before him isn't a dream nor is it his imagination.

Before anyone else could rush their comment in, the water spirit spoke, its voice melodic and gentle, like the summer breeze. "Queen Vera Adelaide, daughter to the late Marella Roman, sister to Neptune Prince, Protector of the Seas, and Queen of the Oceans of Arda, I have been sent from the East to deliver a message to you given by Neptune Prince, concerning the whereabouts of prisoner escapees," it reports, nearly sounding robotic.

Vera struggles to capture her words, incoherently managing to gather enough to spit out, "Is it what?" before closing her eyes in embarrassment. Regaining her composure and ignoring the fact that a water spirit, which is clearly stated as legend and myth and hasn't been seen for centuries, presented itself to her. "What is it?" she squeaks out, finally able to form coherently clear sentences.

"Evian Decourt has been brought back to Atlantis after breaking from his prison chains and releasing the rest of the prisoners. Escapees released by Evian are being rounded up and gathered. Neptune Prince requests that Corin is to be sent back to aid in this predicament. Furthermore, Neptune has added that an accomplice of Evian was set free from the land by the oceans of Gondor, presumably riding to Rohan and last seen by the shores of Gondor. I will send word back, your Majesty, with a message from you," it continues, bowing slightly at Vera towards its last sentences.

Before Vera could properly let it register and discuss matters with Corin, he cuts her off with a quick kiss to her forehead and an assuring look. "Don't worry about me, Majesty, I'll return to the oceans of Arda and Atlantis to help your brother. You find those Hobbits and come home soon," he whispers gently, offering her a comforting smile and leaving no room for argument with his firm and soft tone before flashing his eyes to Vera's friends. "I'll be leaving today, my friends, I hope I see you soon. Watch over Vera for me...we all know she can be as stubborn as ever. And you, Leaf boy, will be given that honor above all else!" he cheerily congratulates, saluting his friends one last time before mounting his horse.

Vera takes a few steps forward, softly placing a hand on Baldur and smiling back at Corin, ignoring the sentence he uttered about Legolas and grins sorrowfully. "Stay safe, my friend. I will miss you." With one fleeting smile thrown towards Vera and his new friends once more, he motions his horse forwards, and soon, the two were nothing but distant dots riding farther and farther away. Vera diverts her attention to the water spirit. "Tell my brother that Corin is answering to his cry for help and will be there shortly. Inform my brother that I will need more information regarding Evian Decourt...but I do not know how to call for you."

The water spirit nods humbly, bowing its head modestly and smiling softly towards its Queen. "You may find me by the river banks. I'll deliver your message, Majesty, and come forward when the news is given yet again. May the Valar bless you, tonight, your Grace. Long live the Queen." Then, with a swish of its hand, the water spirit disappeared, rooting itself back into the soils and transporting through it to reach the water and deliver the message.

Vera turns back to her friends, ignoring the looks thrown at her for the unpredictable and enormously awing creature that showed itself in front of them. She smiles sheepishly. "Water spirits are incredibly rare. They mostly show themselves to Queens...just another wretched reminder of what awaits me at Atlantis. Come, we mustn't waste our time. Merry and Pippin may be in danger," Vera quickly explains before giving them the request, which is followed by agreeable nods.

Gimli looks around, wide-eyed, and still just as disbelieved. "You water folk truly are a mystery. I hope you're still serious about that gold!" he calls out, reminding Vera of a time in which she traded her gold for food. A smile slithers onto her face appealingly.

"Anything for my Dwarf friend."

Gimli sniffs haughtily, turning to Legolas. "You hear that, mate? She likes me more."

Aragorn pips up, "don't be daft, Gimli...we all know that Legolas is much more special in Vera's eyes."

"Shut it," Legolas mumbles, adjusting his bow.

"Oh, he's blushing!" Gimli teases.

Vera, who has been slowly moving towards the Forest, irritably turned to glare at them. "All of you, shut it! We cannot waste any more time! Honestly, children!"

"Children?" Gimli echoes.

"Hm, I suppose that's what Vera would like one day...with the Elven Prince of Mirkwood."

"Oh, for the love of Eru!"

.
author's note; translation
Hiro hyn hîdh ab 'wanath:: may they find peace in death

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

221K 7.3K 28
*COMPLETE* HarryPotterxLOTR crossover FemHarryxGlorfindel ^ Because there are not nearly enough of those. ⋆┈┈。゚❃ུ۪ ❀ུ۪ ❁ུ۪ ❃ུ۪ ❀ུ۪ ゚。┈┈⋆ Azalea Po...
178K 8.7K 46
A shadow lies on Thranduil and his forest, and only a power stronger than the darkness of old can save them. Grief and loss have turned him into a ki...
75.7K 1.7K 20
Artemis that's my name. A Long long time ago a young elf prince gave it to me. He was the crowned elf prince of Mirkwood. His name Legolas he was a v...
17.6K 658 31
Here I am back again with my Elfling series here is book l all over again If you haven't read The first or second or third book then I would recommen...