Backfire • Cedric Diggory [✓]

By IamNotPartVeela

Cedric Diggory and Holland Avery have spent three years toying with one another with their annual hexes and s... More

INTRODUCTION
CAST AND PLAYLIST
• ONE •
• TWO •
• THREE •
• FOUR •
• FIVE •
• SIX •
• SEVEN •
• EIGHT •
• NINE •
• TEN •
• ELEVEN •
• TWELVE •
• THIRTEEN •
• FOURTEEN •
• FIFTEEN •
• SIXTEEN •
• SEVENTEEN •
• EIGHTEEN •
• NINETEEN •
• TWENTY-ONE •
• TWENTY-TWO •
• TWENTY-THREE •
• TWENTY-FOUR •
• TWENTY-FIVE •
EPILOGUE
A/N
A/N Part 2

• TWENTY •

2.4K 71 42
By IamNotPartVeela

Holland threw the bottle in anger. A loud, glass breaking sound echoed in the corridor. All the portraits and passing ghouls coming to a halt from their current activity, taking a peak at the girl to see what was going on. Holland couldn't care less, ignoring the attention as she visibly seethed, almost as if hot air was blowing out of all her facial orifices. She felt hot all over, her heart sinking lower and lower, feeling as if it could exit through her rear. She knew it was all too good to be true. Everything began to make sense. He'd been doing so good, visibly falling out of bewitchment, then acting so odd and trampling all over Holland like a fool out of nowhere again. It was no wonder he managed to find the audacity to confess his so-called feelings to Holland. The git probably couldn't lie without feeling guilty, needing the aid of the bloody amorentia to let him believe he actually has feelings for the girl. Why go this far? Holland thought the two really had a good friendship going on, was that not enough for him to let go of his lifelong dream of finally winning against Holland? Did he want to make her think that they'd end up together, even though they wouldn't? Holland's mind was racing, her vision spinning. She felt beads of sweat form on her forehead, she knew she had to sit down. Holland fell to her knees in misery, head swaying as she'd lost all control to keep it still. She wondered if she'd still be with George, had she found this out sooner. She shook her head, coming to a halt when her vision became even blurrier and nauseating at the movement. She tried to calm herself down. Was this karma? Should she have never broken up with George? No. She made that decision, and she wasn't going to let herself believe she'd only broken up with George only because of Cedric, just to come crawling back to him once Cedric wasn't available anymore. Even then, how could Cedric do that to her?

She began to breathe in and out. Alright, Holly. The love of your life may have not been the one for you, after all, and Cedric may not be the one for you, either. But that's alright, right? You're still alive, right? It all felt so unfair. Maybe she deserved to stay alone. Holland was slowly losing her mind, her entire body now on the floor, head making a loud and solid sound as it hit the floor. Her head was throbbing but nothing could compare to how she felt on the inside, Holland was now thrashing around, all limbs out of control as she didn't know how else to let all her pain out while trying her best to keep her wails to herself. Her chest felt a sharp pain, as if she'd been cut open then gutted to complete hollowness. Holland rued everything she's said and done for the past four years. Was this all the karma she never received for being a brat to Cedric? It made sense, Holland wasn't the perfect witch, after all.

    "Miss Avery, is you alright? Pokey thinks miss should sit down." The house elf frantically said from above her, the girl's eyes closed as she gave a curt nod. Despite being on a stone cold, and very much hard ground, Holland felt as if she were floating, probably due to the hard blow to her head from when she fell. If Holland was fainting, she no longer cared. She preferred it, even. She no longer wanted to be conscious, instead to wanting to forever be laying on the ground, praying to whoever could hear for it would devour her if she stayed on it long enough.

    "Please, Miss Avery. Pokey is worried. Pokey insists!" The girl whined, sounded like she'd been weeping, herself. She tried her best to hold on to Holland as much as she could, grabbing onto her torso, and with all her strength to try and stand her up. Holland had no energy to move, her weight making it impossible for Hokey to lift her. The annoying, struggling movement making her head pang harder in pain, Holland wanted to swat the elf away, but deciding against it as it was rude and energy consuming. The house elf lets her go in defeat, leaving a glass of water on the windowsill, and giving Holland one last look of worry before retreating to the kitchens. Holland lays there, still, and in thought. Groggy, but still awake. After about 10 minutes, she realizes that Cedric's bag was there, meaning he could come back any moment now.

Holland's eyes snap open, realizing Cedric couldn't see her like this. Not after what he did. He didn't deserve to see her so broken over him, he didn't deserve the satisfaction he craved to have. Holland slowly stands, head throbbing from all the sobs and weeps, arms and legs bruised from how hard she'd thrashed against the stone walls and floors of the castle. Holland winces in pain as she walked, every movement causing one bruise to rub against another, the registration of pain also hurting her throbbing head. She begins chugging the glass of water the elf had left for her before waving a wand all over herself and the floor, ridding of any evidence that she'd seen the bottle and broken it. She angrily shoved it back in the boy's bag, letting out a deep breath as she readied herself for the boy's return. And as if on cue, Cedric had returned right then and there. She heard his shoes echo around the empty corridor, rolling her eyes at the remembrance of his intentions.

    "Holly?" She hears, immediately wiping her eyes. She shook her shoulders a bit, rolling her head as she put on the sweetest smile she could muster. Be cool, the girl sternly tells herself, shrugging as she fixed her robes, knowing it must have been wrinkled having laid on it for a good half hour.

    "Cedric, hi!" She pretends to be ecstatic seeing the boy who turned out to be not in love with her at all. "What are you doing here?" So much for keeping cool. Cedric gives a look of incredulity, chuckling at the silly girl who was trying her hardest not to tackle him.

    "We were supposed to meet, remember? Have you completely lost your mind?" He jokes, sending a smile that filled Holland's senses with nausea. She closes her eyes, vision spinning once more. "I was thinking about the final task. My dad's coming to watch. And when I come back with the cup, I'll let the whole school know who'd been my inspiration and motivation throughout the entire tournament. I'll dedicate the cup to you and my dad! Isn't that wonderful?" He says in excitement, not noticing that Holland was practically writhing in pain in front of him.

Holland wished for the ground to just devour her, no longer wanting to be where she was. Her heart broke with every word he said, the idea of being treated like an absolute princess, but to end up in flames as it had all been just a lie. She inwardly winces as she imagined that he'd probably show her off in front of the entire school, letting them know she thought he was in love with her even though he wasn't. Holland let out a breath through her nose. Her fourth year had been nothing but a tear-fest, and she has had enough.

    "What's wrong, Holly?" Cedric began to worry and held her hand immediately, the gesture making Holland feel not sad, but angry. She pulled away from his grasp, so quick the sound of her skin leaving his resembled a match being struck against its box. Cedric's cheerful expression quickly turns perplexed, wondering what had happened to the Slytherin.

    "How could you do this to me?" Holland spat out. "I get it, we pranked each other. But this is too much. Never would I have thought that you'd bring my feelings into this. Were all the slimes and detention too much?"

    "I don't think I'm following." Cedric was beyond confused, though heart was racing at Holland's venomous tone. He tried to look her in the eyes, not caring that he'd probably turn to stone if he did.

"I saw it, Cedric. You don't have to keep pretending. The fact that you even went through all this trouble to make me look like an idiot. Really thought you'd be the last to even think of something so vile. Congratulations, Cedric. You've done it. You've made me look like a complete fool!" She exclaims, earning looks and gasps from the portraits. "Congratulations. You've broken my heart." Holland says quietly. And to think the girl was so close to confessing her feelings to him, finally accepting that she had a bit of an infatuation with him.

"I promise you, Holly. You need to let me explain because I can!" He tried to tell her calmly, despite being anything but calm, himself. Holland felt herself fuming at the word he'd said. Promise. The last time he'd said that to her, was when he was oh-so-promisingly telling her how he'd treat her if she were to fall for him like he'd plan, before leaving her for nothing. She remembered herself being in the same situation with George, considering for a bit if she should hear him out. But she found herself stuck, mind set, ready to walk, and ready to leave this arsehole.

"Enough. I don't want to hear it. The only thing I want you to promise to me is that you'll stay way from me for as long as you and I are both alive. Understand?" Holland spits, grabbing her things and storming off.

Cedric didn't dare chase after her, knowing the girl's temper would just set off once more. Cedric already had enough going through his mind. The final task being in just a few days stressed him out enough, losing Holland's trust made it even worse or him.

-
As Holland walked back to her common room, she caught a glimpse of the courtyard, glowering at the happy lower years running around in the grass. Holland could give anything to have a reminder of what it felt to be younger and unperplexed. Holland arrives at her dormitory angry and alone. The latter part, she'd been relieved about as she began to kick the side of her bed. After apologizing to Teagan, she fumed and decided to go head on to search for people to talk to.

She walked down the common room, sitting on the black leather sofa as she let the silence ring in her ears. She willed herself not to cry, she'd cried enough. She started picking at her nails, wondering if she should find a way to get back at Cedric, deciding against it as she found herself not wanting to hurt the boy despite the gashing sensation in her chest that had been caused by him. She rests her face on her hands, elbows on her thighs as she watched the fireplace. She retraced all of her steps, starting from the beginning of the year. Things were so different back then, normal, uncomplicated. How could one boy have destroyed her life so easily? She hears the portrait hole open, students begin to flood the room and Holland began to sit up straighter and lean on the sofa, not wanting anybody asking her if she was alright.

    "You alright, Holland?" A lower year asks. Godric fucking damn it. Holland bites her tongue as she forced out the sweetest smile she could form.

    "Spectacular." Her voice cracks as she tried to squeak out in a happy tone, sighing in relief when the lower year smiles in response.

    The room was now filled with students, all lower years. Holland didn't fancy the wretched harmony of squeaky, pre-pubescent voices, she scrambled up to her feet to leave the common room quietly. She groans inwardly, not knowing where else she could go. Deciding on a quiet walk, she thought she could go to the Astronomy tower for a long, undisturbed time to herself. She begins her lone venture, ignoring the calls and greetings of the voices that belonged to people Holland knew she had no plans of talking to. As she was about to climb up the Astronomy tower, a shadow from above it stops her. Someone had been there before her, as Holland leaned forward to get a better look, the figure had long, pale blonde hair and appeared alone, in thought, and sallow as well. Holland quickly turned to leave, the sound of her shoes against the metal spiraling stairs making a squeak. Holland winces, knowing it had been loud enough to echo through the entire tower, loud enough to alert the person who was there. The girl now stands, Holland catching a glimpse of the shiny locks that belonged to no other than Aurora Harrington.

    "Who's there?" She tries to accuse, her timid tone overpowering the powerful tone she intended to let out.

    "Rory, it's me." Holland surprised both of them with her raspy voice, she beings to clear her throat as she made her way up the tower. Must have been all the crying that's gotten her throat so dry. Aurora eyed her childhood friend, wondering why she'd been so eager to come to her when they hadn't spoken in years.

    "Well?" Aurora asked after Holland had started at her for a long time, mind still set on how the girl would be perfect for Draco. Not that she'd say that out loud, that would be a bit weird. "What are you doing here?" She demands lamely, sniffling as she graciously brought a white handkerchief to wipe her pristine face. Holland chose not to reply, hugging the girl instead. Aurora freezes in place, taking a second to hug back, relishing the comforting warmth of another person.

The two never spoke. Holland never asked what made Aurora sad, Aurora never asked what made Holland sad. The two merely sat next to each other with their feet dangling more than 20 feet in the air as they gazed at the trees before them, relishing the company of one another. It was a pure and wholesome scene, the two being comforted by nothing but the company of the other.

    "I hope you're alright." Aurora clears the air, probably having grown uncomfortable by the long moment of silence.

    "I will be," Holland smiles half-heartedly, facing the girl and lightly shoving Annaliese's knee sock clad-foot with hers. "I hope you are, too."

    "I will be," Aurora returns, smiling more than Holland was. Holland wanted to ask, but refusing as Aurora would without a doubt ask as well, and Holland was in no shape to relive her entire fourth year to the point of her lowest blow when it had happened just hours before. "I missed you, you know." Aurora confesses quietly, gathering her hair and letting it fall on her right shoulder, the golden locks flowing until her ribs. Holland found herself staring at how beautiful her friend was, probably even giving the veelas a run for their money. Aurora had always been one of the prettiest people Holland had laid her eyes on, despite her external appearance, people decided against befriending Aurora, for she had been too shy to ever relate to her classmates nor prolong any conversations thrown at her. Holland could have easily stayed with Aurora, but the two were a year apart, and as aforementioned, they hadn't spoken in years. Holland just never found the courage to speak to her old friend again, always resorting to timid waves and smiles whenever they passed each other, but that was it.

    "I missed you more. And Rory, I'm really sorry. I know how things are for you, I wish I could be with you all the time, and I wish I could hex off all the people who dare try to say anything about you." Words flew out of Holland's mouth as if it was out of her control, Holland knew she had been almost like a sister to Aurora, and she wished it would've stayed that way had she not let her shyness get to her.

    "It's alright. I've grown quite accustomed to being alone, I prefer it now, actually. I've made a friend, she belongs to another house, though." Aurora says, her small voice making her even more adorable.

    "There's nothing wrong with having friends from other houses, Rory." Holland says. "Look at me! Most of the time, I don't even sit in our table." She chuckles.

    "Oh yes, I know." Aurora giggles girlishly. "Her name is Luna. Luna Lovegood, and I've grown fond of her quite a bit. Can't imagine going through one day without her, she's fascinating." Holland bit back a snort, knowing Luna had a bit of a reputation for being weird. But the more Holland thought about it, the more she realized how perfect Luna was for Aurora. Luna was always in her own world, not giving a damn how others felt about her. Aurora could learn from her, especially since she'd always struggled with her self-esteem.

    "That's wonderful! I'm glad." Holland says genuinely, putting her hand on the girl's comfortingly.

    "I don't suppose you want to talk about what's gotten you so upset today?" Aurora asks immediately with a sallow face.   

    "It's nothing against you, it's just too soon for me. But if you feel like you're ready to talk about yours, I'm all ears, darling." Holland frowns.

    "Is it alright?" Aurora beams, eager to have someone to confide to. She scoots closer to Holland, the older witch giggling at how easy it was to regain her friend's trust. "You see, I like someone." She begins shyly, looking away.

    "I think I have an idea on who it is," Holland smirks knowingly, wiggling her eyebrows. Aurora looks up at her in terror, knowing it must have been obvious as he was Holland's good friend.       

    "Is it that obvious?" Aurora buries her head in her hands. "Blimey, Holly. It's terrifying. I don't like liking boys. It's such an inconvenient feeling. I'd much rather just stay alone, keep to myself, and snuggle Toulouse." The girl admits, talking about her Persian cat.

    "So it is Draco?" Holland asks to confirm, giggling at how adorable the girl next to her was, bringing up a hand to stroke the girl's smooth hair.    

    "Please hush!" Aurora whines loudly, even when she spoke in volumes louder than she usually does, she could never bring her voice to be loud enough to echo through the Astronomy tower, whilst Holland could easily do so.

    "Nobody will hear!" Holland rolls her eyes. "Now tell Sissy Holly how badly you want to snog Draco Malfoy." Holland teases, ducking to avoid Aurora's hand.

-

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.3K 796 20
Summer Diggory starts her third year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Since the moment she attended Hogwarts and became a Slytherin her...
290K 9.3K 12
!COMPLETED! It all started with the new Weasley product that was designed to imprison its victims in a circle until they either 1) admitted their lov...
306K 7.7K 40
Nixie Potter goes through another year of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardy. The trouble starts when she goes to her very first Quidditch Tor...
98.7K 1.6K 62
You were never a popular girl. Your life hasn't been interesting and you didn't worry about boys much... But what will happen if you get paired up wi...