Nyx (Complete✅)

By emeraldrainbow

Beth Fields had known since high school that she was going to sign up for the New Hope colonization program... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78

Chapter 67

606 80 3
By emeraldrainbow

As her momentary blindness caused by the sudden flash of light faded, Beth began to recognize her surroundings. She was lying beside the lakeshore near the colony. A weird feeling of hopeful dread filled her. She was afraid to look around. Afraid that her colony wouldn't be there, and that she had merely teleported away from the danger of the Slayer.

Beth slowly turned her head. There stood a beautiful cabin, right on the edge of the lake. The architecture was exquisite. Her eyes welled with tears. She recognized the handiwork. Liam had built this house.

Fear gripped her heart. As she stood, tears streamed down her face. One question echoed in her mind. How long have I been gone?

Her heart pounded. She felt lost in a sea of despair. She needed to find a familiar face.

She knew exactly who to go to, someone who always kept a cool head in any situation. Someone who would do anything for the safety and well-being of others. Captain Caleb West.

Beth bit her lip worriedly as she made her way to the Captain's quarters. Everything looked so advanced. The thought of all the time that could have passed scared her. The path beneath her feet was expertly paved with red brick made from Viscordian soil. All the buildings she passed by were fully furnished. Every person she passed looked happy and comfortable. The air of unfamiliarity was gone and people moved about as if they'd always lived there. This was their home now.

Beth suddenly stopped in her tracks, eyes wide with shock. She'd come to the place where the Starship Songbird used to lay. The ship was completely gone, and a lovely park had been built in its place. She scanned the vast field of teal grass and red-bricked paths. People milled about and children played happily. Her eyes alighted on a structure that sat at the park's center. For a moment her troubles were forgotten and she was propelled by curiosity.

She strolled nearer and gasped in surprise at what she saw. It was a beautifully crafted monument of the earth with a fountain around it. The sound of the water soothed her and she found herself taking a seat beside the fountain and closing her eyes.

Seeing the colony doing so well gave her a feeling of peace. That despite her own troubles, everything was okay.

With a new resolve, Beth got up and continued on her way to see the Captain. Her world as she knew it might be in shambles, but she would embrace her future, no matter what.

__________

The Captain sighed as he heard a knock on his office door. Lunch would have to wait a few minutes. He cleared his throat, "Come in."

At first, he didn't recognize the person who stepped through his door. Then his eyes widened. "Oh my stars! Beth is that you?"

Beth was beyond relieved to see that the Captain looked no older than the last time she'd seen him. "Yes, it's me."

The Captain stood and came to her, wrapping her up into a fatherly hug. "What in the world happened to you?" He asked.

Tears were drawn to Beth's eyes at the remembrance of her own father's lack of affection. She melted into the Captain's embrace and began to sob. All the emotions of the past several days poured out of her. He held her until she quieted, comforting her the entire time.

When Beth withdrew from the Captain's arms she saw deep concern in his eyes. "Are you okay?" He asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine." She sniffled in reply.

"You must have been through a lot. Do you want to tell me about it?"

"I'll try," Beth answered.

Beth relayed her story as well as she could. Time travel could be confusing.

The Captain listened intently. His expression changed from disbelief, amazement, and finally to horror, as she ended with the Slayer's attack.

"Wow!" The Captain said. "So you've only been gone a few days? That's almost unbelievable... I'm glad you made it back safely."

"I don't even know if Kelbar's alright." She voiced her worries.

"He's doing just fine." The Captain smiled. "As far as I know, your trip to the past hasn't altered anything."

Beth wondered if Kelbar remembered anything. Or if the slayer's attack caused trauma-induced amnesia or something.

"So, how long has it been for you? Everything looks so different." Beth asked.

"It hasn't been as long as it may seem, we've made a lot of progress since your disappearance." The Captain frowned as he thought of Liam and Kelbar who still devoted a part of every single day to search for Beth.

Beth noticed his hesitation. It made her nervous.

He cleared his throat. "For us, you've been gone almost three months."

Beth gasped. She was glad it wasn't years, but three months was still a big chunk of time.

The Captain answered the question that was on her mind. "Liam never gave up looking for you..." He hesitated.

Beth sensed something was wrong.

"He's not looking so great. He...well...he took your disappearance pretty hard."

A lump formed in Beth's throat. "Is he okay?" she asked.

"He keeps himself busy..."

"Is he okay?" Beth asked again.

"I don't know if you should see each other right away." The Captain said.

"What is that supposed to mean?! It sounds like he needs me." Beth raised her voice.

The Captain remained calm. "As I said before, it's been hard on him. It'd be best if I talked with him first."

Beth calmed down. "Can I see him today?" she asked.

"I'll see what I can do."

__________

Liam had strongly believed in his heart that Beth was still alive, but worry had still taken its toll on him. His eyes were sunken and his body emaciated from lack of sleep and days without food. He didn't even recognize himself anymore.

He stood at the water's edge and looked at his haggard appearance. He wondered if Beth would be mad at him for worrying so much. His mouth formed a sad smile. She would be furious, but deep down she'd love that someone cared so much for her.

He heard footsteps behind him. The lakeshore was where he and Kelbar met to search for Beth. On off days they'd even embark on overnight search expeditions.

Liam kicked a stone into the lake and turned around, fully expecting to see Kelbar.

"Hey Liam, how have you been?" The Captain asked.

Liam noticed a strange hesitancy in the Captain's tone. "I've been better." He replied.

"Can I talk with you?" The Captain asked.

"I was just about to head out, but yes, of course," Liam replied.

"I know it's important to you, but could you cancel your search for today?"

Not a day had passed where he hadn't sought for Beth. The Captain's question hurt him. Liam fought back the pain of tears. He knew his searches were useless. He had to face the facts. Beth was gone.

"Yeah." He choked in reply. "I just have to let Kelbar know."

"I already have." The Captain's voice was full of concern. "Let's go inside and sit down."

Liam led him to a nearby cabin.

"This is excellent craftsmanship." The Captain admired.

"Thanks," Liam replied simply.

"You built this yourself?" The Captain marveled.

"Yes, for Beth and me."

Once seated, the Captain began. "Honestly Liam, you're not looking too great. I'm concerned about you. You look worse every time I see you."

"I agree Captain. It's been rough." Liam admitted.

The Captain studied Liam's unkempt hair and scruffy face. Although life was prosperous in the colony, Liam looked like a starving hobo.

"I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how to tell you this, but I think I'll get straight to the point." He said.

Liam knew that someone, sooner or later would confront him and tell him he couldn't live like this anymore. That he would have to move on. He braced himself.

"Beth's alive."

The words didn't register in Liam's mind. "I'm sorry, what?"

"Beth's alive and well." The Captain repeated.

"Where is she?" Liam jumped up and immediately regretted it. The world blackened and he swayed forward. The Captain caught him and set him gently back into his seat.

"Sorry, I must have gotten up too quickly," Liam said when the darkness subsided.

The Captain spoke again. "Liam, Beth is back, but I don't think she should see you like this."

The Captain's words sobered him. "I don't think so either."

"She'd like to see you today." The Captain said.

"You've spoken with her?" Liam asked excitedly.

"Of course I have, how else would I know that she's back, alive and well?" The Captain replied.

"Where is she?" Liam asked again. "And how do you know she won't disappear again?"

"She's in my office, and don't worry, she's here to stay."

Liam relaxed at the captain's reassurance. "When can I see her?"

The Captain looked at Liam's haggard face. It now shone with hope which made him look significantly better than he had. But the Captain was more concerned with his sanity than his physical appearance. "Do you think you're ready to see her?"

Liam thought about the question then replied. "I admit I don't look quite myself, but after a trim and shave I'll be as good as gold." Liam grinned.

The Captain was glad to see a glimmer of the old Liam back. "I'm sure you will." he laughed. "At least it'll be a start."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

756 48 25
When people start to missing from Middleton Swimming Pool and Gym. When Katherine finds out where they are going, she takes it upon herself to bring...
148K 7.7K 54
New edited version out now!!! I highly recommend reading that one instead, as this was the very first rough write of this story! As an alien invasion...
253 115 19
The four best friends who were living their simple lives on Earth accidentally met the time traveller. 'The future is in danger' was the message give...
2.3K 201 19
When life suddenly changes from bad to worse the only thing to do is move forward in hopes that you will stumble upon better things. This is what Lil...