Worst Impressions

By ClarissaNorth

A 'Pride and Prejudice' Remix. Beth Bennett, a poor girl in a fancy boarding school, faces class prejudice an... More

Author Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Eight
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Chapter Forty Three
Chapter Forty Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty Six
Chapter Forty Seven
Chapter Forty Eight
Chapter Forty Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty One
Chapter Fifty Two
Chapter Fifty Three
Chapter Fifty Four
Chapter Fifty Five
Chapter Fifty Six
Chapter Fifty Seven
Chapter Fifty Eight
Chapter Fifty Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty One
Chapter Sixty Two
Chapter Sixty Three
Chapter Sixty Four
Chapter Sixty Five
Chapter Sixty Six
Chapter Sixty Seven
Author Note
Bonus Cast List
Bonus Chapter - Darcy Prepares for the Party
Bonus Chapter - Darcy in the Rain
Bonus Chapter - Darcy Sees Wickham
Bonus Chapter - Darcy and Wickham Meet
Bonus Chapter - The Coffee Shop
Bonus Chapter - Before the Birthday Party
Bonus Chapter - Asking Beth to Dance
Bonus Chapter - Darcy Dances
Bonus Chapter - Switzerland
Bonus Chapter - Darcy Arrives in Paris
Bonus Chapter - Darcy and Beth Reunited
Bonus Chapter - Famille ou Amour?
Bonus Chapter - Punching Freddie
Bonus Chapter - The Confession
Bonus Chapter - Oh, shit.
Bonus Chapter - Meeting at Pemberley
Bonus Chapter - Meeting the Surfers
Bonus Chapter - Beth meets Mandy
Bonus Chapter - 'I've always thought so.'
Bonus Chapter - Dinner with the Darcys
Bonus Chapter - Alone in the Garden
Bonus Chapter - The Cliffs
Bonus Chapter - The Phone Call
Bonus Chapter - Arriving in Italy
Bonus Chapter - Forming the Plan
Bonus Chapter - Splitting Up
Bonus Chapter - Confronting Gideon
Bonus Chapter - Taking the Blame
Bonus Chapter - Confessing to Charlie
Bonus Chapter - Madame Courtenay's Visit
Bonus Chapter - Prom
Bonus Chapter - The Wedding
Bonus Chapter - Ten Years Later
Amazon Prime Video; Panic - Bonus Chapter

Chapter Thirty Three

4.7K 413 124
By ClarissaNorth

We found Freddie in the billiards room.

It had been kitted out in all manner of distractions, from a dart board to a flat-screen television mounted to the oak-panelled wall. Such an environment was a familiar one. Having been brought up by my father, I'd often spent my evenings as a child in the local pub perched on his knee while he laughed and drank with his friends. My father wasn't much of a drinker, but he enjoyed the social interaction and ours was a close-knit community. Half the town packed into the drinking establishments on a Friday night before they staggered home, tripping over the cobbles in the dark and laughing raucously between themselves. It was rather comforting to discover that such a room was a part of the house, and I made a mental note to revisit it when William wasn't an occupant.

Freddie was leaning back against the polished oak bar, his eyes on the television and a remote in his hands. His eyes were pinched in annoyance at the football game being broadcast in crystal clear high definition. At first, I thought he hadn't noticed us as we intruded on his solitude. He proved me wrong when he complained, 'I can't get the English subtitles to work. This stupid thing is broken again.'

'You're French, why do you need subtitles?' I asked.

'They're speaking German.'

'And you're watching it in German because..?' William questioned.

'Because I did something to the remote and I can't change it back.'

It wasn't uncommon for my father to fall asleep on the remote after a long day of work and wake up to find that he'd screwed up the settings. It was why we kept the manual on the coffee table so that he could figure out how to fix it while I was away at school. Confident that I could resolve the issue, I took the remote from Freddie's hand without waiting for permission. My fingers grazed his, and he jumped at the skin contact, but a smile followed so I didn't believe that he was unhappy with my bold actions.

I tapped away at the remote, scooting through all the menus with the speed one only gained with years of practice. The screen turned black before it flickered back to life. With it came the unmistakable sound of a French commentator excitedly jabbering over the game. Thrilled to hear his native language through the speakers, Freddie clapped me on the back. 'Superb! Merci.'

'No problem.' I placed the remote back into his waiting hand.

'How did you know how to –'

'There's not much to do where I live if it's raining. The TV and I spend a lot of quality time together in the winter. I'm Beth, by the way. Nice to meet you. I think.'

'Enchanté,' he greeted. Freddie took my hand in his elegant fingers and bowed his head to kiss my knuckles. It was barely a whisper of a kiss, but it still made me blush. 'I'm not as miserable as my cousin if that's why you're hesitant. I've been looking forward to our meeting, Mademoiselle.'

When Wyatt had kissed my hand, I'd been repulsed. It had been forceful, wet, and entirely unwanted. When Freddie did it, I felt butterflies swarm in my stomach. I supposed it helped when the person bestowing the kiss was both cute and charming.

I gave Lisa a hard time for being boy crazy, but I knew that I could be just as bad. I'd never throw myself after a man or play the fool to get their attention, but I liked a handsome face just as much as any other straight girl my age. It wasn't like I was a nun. I had ovaries, hormones, and fantasies of my own.

'You have?' I asked. 'You make it sound like you'd heard of me before today.'

'Oui. Will's talked about you a lot.'

'All bad, I hope.' I smirked. 'Can't have him spoiling my terrible reputation by speaking well of me.'

'Shut up, Freddie,' William warned before his cousin could reply.

Mischief glimmered in Freddie's eyes. I recognised it as the same flicker I often had in my own. There was nothing quite like finding a kindred spirit in a sea of people who looked at you like you were something they'd stepped in. His gaze didn't leave William's flushed face even as he leaned in and whispered sensually against my ear, 'He said that you were the only person worth dancing with at Charlie and Chantelle's party.'

'Did he?' I asked. My tone was a mixture of intrigue and surprise. 'I mean, I'm not going to disagree. I'm just surprised that he's the one who said it.'

'And your musical abilities are, supposedly, sensationnel.'

'I said that she wasn't bad,' William corrected. 'They need working on.'

'Si tu le dis, cousin...' Freddie replied. I didn't understand French, but sarcasm was a universal language.

'We should get ready for dinner. You can't wear jeans,' William told me. 'My aunt will have a fit.'

'That doesn't put me off wearing them,' I retorted stubbornly. 'In fact, I think that might make the whole thing more fun.'

'She'll take it out on your mother.'

I shrugged. 'I don't care. In case you didn't notice, Mummy and I don't really get along. If I had my way, I'd be spending Christmas with my Dad and a lot of sweaty guys.'

'Mon Dieu, do you live in a male brothel?' Freddie asked playfully.

'Nothing so racy.' I flashed a smile. 'Anyway, are you free to show me around tomorrow? If I stay locked in this house for too long, I'm going to lose my mind. Also, what's the deal with Cosette? Is she a ghost or something? No person should be that pale.'

Freddie grabbed my hands. 'You can see her too?! I thought I was the only one!'

'I'll get the salt and you get the holy water!'

'It's like watching an idiot convention,' William decided. 'You two suit each other.'

'Would it kill you to smile?' I asked. 'Just once.'

'I think he's allergic to those,' Freddie said. 'He laughed a few years ago by accident and he was in bed for weeks. Even a smirk can cause convulsions. He takes medication, now.'

'You're aware that I am still in the room, aren't you?' William asked tersely.

'It's no fun if you can't hear us,' Freddie quipped.

William folded his arms across his chest. I couldn't help but notice the way the buttons strained against the pulling fabric, and the taut seams at his shoulders. It was a shirt cut and fitted to suit his frame, no doubt made specially for him, and it drew the gaze to his strong, toned upper body. Our interactions with one another had been brief and too full of spite for me to pay him much attention before, otherwise I might have noticed earlier just why all the girls in school had been in a spin upon his arrival. Still, it wasn't anything that Freddie didn't have, and it was better to spend time with a guy if he had an attractive personality over a nice body.

I was surprised that William had no other venomous comebacks to spit in my direction. If we'd been at school, then he wouldn't have hesitated to put me back in my place, and Chantelle would have encouraged him in doing so. I wondered if it was because Freddie was present and he didn't want to give his cousin any more ammunition, or if he didn't think it would sit well for him to point out that I was a commoner when my wealthy stepfather could walk in at any moment. He needn't have worried. In fact, I'd have preferred for him to be his usual unpleasant self. This change in demeanor was far more unsettling than a few stinging verbal barbs.

'Can I sit next to you at dinner?' I asked Freddie boldly, taking advantage of the silence. 'That way, you can tell me embarrassing stuff about William.'

'Why would you want to talk about me?' he asked.

'I need the anecdotes,' I said. 'I don't know enough about you to totally ruin your reputation at school, yet. Freddie's my new secret weapon. Is that cool, by the way?' I asked Freddie. 'I'll give you a code name if you agree.'

'What kind of code name?'

'What, you want me to just improvise one?'

'You suggested it.'

'I'm surrounded by morons,' William lamented just loudly enough for us to hear.

We ignored him.

'Fitz?' I offered.

'That's terrible,' Freddie complained. 'You couldn't have said double-oh-seven?'

'No, I really couldn't,' I said. 'You're not British, for a start.'

'Would you two please just come to dinner?' William implored.

'Is he always so whiney?' I asked.

'He's usually worse.' Freddie offered me his arm, and I slipped mine through it comfortably. Freddie winked at William as though he'd achieved something over him. I didn't do William the courtesy of making eye contact with him as we left, because I knew that would annoy him more than a triumphant smile.

If I could spend the entire break making his life hell, then it might not be all that bad after all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

115K 6.5K 17
When school groups pull your friendships apart, the only thing you can to is obey, they run the school after all. Will one simple choice really make...
525K 16.1K 49
"Kara, you're my best friend right?" "Umm yeah?" "You'd do anything for me, right?" "As long as it doesn't involve 10 years in prison, yeah." "Be my...
723K 21.8K 61
"So yeah, I crashed your 16th birthday party, and yeah, I punched Stan. He didn't deserve you. I'm not saying that I did, or do, or whatever, either...
25.7K 636 13
Completed. "Aspen. Truth or dare?" He asked and I looked away from him. "Dare."