IF I STAY

By btxtluver4

What do you do when you're plagued with monsters of your past? You run away. Choi beomgyu always does. Leavin... More

"Personal" delivery surprise
Phone calls and Meet-up plans
On Midnight Dates And Surprises
Confronting the present and the past
What hurts you most
Of Fallacies And Goodbyes
Isn't this your choice?
The First Snow Of Winter Brings Forth A Storm
Ghosts of the Past
Curse at the Wind
These Broken Things
Of Taking Chances
Once upon a time in Korea pt.1
Once Upon A Time In Korea Pt.2

Selfies and that one-not-so-much of a phonecall

401 28 6
By btxtluver4

“You’re smiling a lot.”

Yeonjun tells him as he quietly pockets his phone and proceeds to write on his clipboard. He is checking the quality of the carpets he ordered, and so far he’s been distracted by some Kakaotalk messages from some kid.

It's been another hectic week since Kang Taehyun and him started messaging each other in KakaoTalk and he has to admit, it never fails to put a smile on his face whenever his phone pings with a new notification. Despite their conversations being quick since both of them are busy and random, somehow, they never run out of topics to talk about.

Slowly, through the conversations, they reveal more details about themselves- their favourite things: food, movies, music. He found out Taehyun loves ramen and jujutsu and loves action films and hates suspense. He’s a toy collector and one of his obsessions is LEGOs. They spent a good hour with Taehyun just sending him photos of the LEGOs he already has and LEGOs he plans to buy. He also loves the colour yellow which coincidentally is the colour scheme he has been working on in KTH studio so he sends him photos of his mural designs. Kang Taehyun in turn, would send memes of himself looking so impressed.

Sometimes, they talk about how their day was, what happened at work…. although Beomgyu notes Taehyun would be once he would ask detailed questions about his work. He would just say same as always, my manager’s been biting my head off. Beomgyu credits it to having a boring office job. Besides, Taehyun would always say how his job is so fun and exciting and Beom-hyung is so cool.

“Just talking to someone.” He says, feeling the phone vibrate again but ignores it because Yeonjun is still staring at him curiosly.

“What?”

“Nothing.” Yeonjun shakes his head, “Anyway, I just came in to tell you that delivery of plants will be delayed for another five days.”

“Again?” Beomgyu clicks his tongue in annoyance, “I thought they already found a supplier for the pencil cacti?”

“It’s the vase they are worried about. I sent the photos to your email and they are god-awful ugly.”

Beomgyu walks towards his table, to check his laptop. He opens Yeonjun’s email and almost rolls his eyes when he sees the suggestion of vases. They are not even close to the sketch he has made, “Can’t they find someone else who can make what I ordered?”

“Already did. That’s why it will take five more days for them to arrive.”

Beomgyu gives Yeonjun a soft smile, “Thanks for being reliable. The staff are still working on the floors, right? So I think that’s okay.”

Yeonjun nods, then looks around his table, “Are you not going out for lunch?”

Beomgyu shakes his head, “Not yet. I received some inquiries from this potential client and I haven’t replied to that.”

“Hmm…. should I just buy you lunch then, before I head back to KTH?”

Beomgyu beams at him, “You’re amazing, Yeonjun hyung.”

Yeonjun rolls his eyes at him before waving goodbye and walking out the door.

Beomgyu is answering a client’s email, requesting a meeting next week when his phone vibrated again. He remembers Taehyun’s unread message and picks up his phone to read.

>>Beom-hyung, how come you don’t send selfies to me? I also want to see you.

>>Beom-hyung, I want to see you.

<<Taehyun-sshi, I am not as narcissistic as you.

>> [image attached].

Beomgyu almost laughs at the image of a pouting Taehyun. He notices how the guy is wearing eye makeup- making him look like an anime character. His hair is also styled differently, parted on the side and with wisps of hair slightly covering his face.

He looks too good to be true. Now he’s sure Taehyun is not some regular office worker. Beomgyu is once again hit with an overwhelming sense of familiarity while looking at Taehyun.

<<Is that for work? You never tell me what you do.

>> Huh? But you never ask.

<<I always ask you how’s your work and you say it’s the usual.

>> Because it IS the usual stuff.

<< I also tell you it’s the usual stuff. But I don’t get to look like an anime character any day of the week.

Beomgyu thinks of the many times Taehyun’s exquisitely styled selfies and wonders why he never asked before.

>> Do you really want to know?

<< Will I ask if you do? Are you some kind of an entertainer? A singer or a dancer?

>> Send me a selfie and I will tell you.

Beomgyu sighs. He hates taking selfies but he does check his reflection on the glass window of their studio. There are dark rings under his eyes and the light blue button up shirt is not doing anything to hide his slim figure. Compared to Taehyun, he’s just a sight…and that’s not even on a positive note.

>> Beom-hyung. Come on. I want to put a face on my temporary emergency contact number.

Beomgyu smiles at that. He sighs and walks by the window where the light is spilling inside casting a decent morning glow on him. Hopefully, this will hide the fact that he looks like shit. He takes a selfie and checks how it looks-doesn’t like it and takes another one.

Still not right. Beomgyu doesn’t know why he’s being so sceptical about this. Its not like he needs to impress Taehyun.

Yeonjun finds him on that spot when he comes back with lunch and eyes him curiously, “What are you doing?”

Beomgyu immediately blushes, embarrassed at getting caught in the act. “Nothing.” He pretends to just be browsing his phone which honestly looks more stupid than him admitting what he’s doing.

“Are you taking a selfie?”

Its too late to deny it, anyway so he sighs in embarrassment, “Yeah.”

“Why?”

“I just want to.”

“Liar.” Yeonjun places the pack of food by his table and eyes him directly, “There’s something going on with you and I’d really appreciate it if you tell me. I’m your oldest friend and your hyung.”

Beomgyu can see the hurt in Yeonjun’s eyes and feels a little bit guilty. They have been friends for almost ten years now, having known each other in art school back in college, at least before he dropped out and transferred to Seoul where they found each other again after two years and started working on the same advertising company for another year before they decided to open up their own business two years ago. Yeonjun is one of the people who has accepted who he is, welcomed him to his family (which is just him and his sister since both parents perished in a car crash when they’re in high school) and never treated him differently.

Yeonjun was there when that happened and never left him. He never hides anything from the guy-well except maybe that one time. And look where it got you? A voice in his head warns him and he looks back at Yeonjun with a shy smile.

“Fine. Remember that guy we found outside?”

Yeonjun frowns, “That one we took to the hospital?”

“Yeah that one. He kind of got my number from the doctor and now we’re messaging each other.”

Yeonjun’s face goes blank as he processes this information. Beomgyu can’t help but anticipate what his hyung will say-he’s almost sure he would tell him to drop it. Stop talking to the boy because you don’t know him or what he’s up to and do you remember what happened the last time this happened? Do you remember what happened? And he does.

The relationship ended two years ago, but the memories are still fresh and painful to even relive. He was doing okay already- at least until six months ago.

Yeonjun is looking at him, as if he knows what’s running through his mind. Beomgyu is not surprised. He is expecting a lot of things but definitely not the one where Yeonjun opens his hand to him and tells him, “Give it here. I’ll take one for you.”

“What?”

“Give it before I change my mind.”

“Why?”

“Why? You suck at taking selfies. And you’re our official photographer. You should be ashamed.”

Yeonjun grabs the phone and opens the camera app.

“I mean, why are you okay with this?” Beomgyu asks, “ And also, I’m a pretty good photographer! I just don’t like taking selfies.”

Yeonjun sighs, “Its progress.” He points at the corner of the window sill and Beomgyu walks towards it. Yeonjun gestures for him to sit down and he does. “Its been two years Gyu. I’ve been worried you stopped trying just because that happened.”

Beomgyu blinks at him. “Put your foot up over there.” Yeonjun instructs and Beomgyu does so, moving a bit so he is slightly on his side. “Look here and smile.”

Yeonjun’s jaw is clenched when he says the last part, still remembering that day like it was just yesterday. Beomgyu does, too. The hands on his neck. The bruises, the blood, his unconscious body. The screams that followed. Then total darkness.

He shakes the shadows away and gives a smile. Yeonjun is slightly taken aback before he takes the photo, “Its been awhile since I last saw you smile like that.”

He gives the phone back to Beomgyu who looks at the photo. It’s a beautiful photo-him sitting by the window sill, one leg propped up with is elbow sitting atop his knee, face slightly facing the camera and a smile playing on his lips. He knows what Yeonjun is talking about because in the photo unlike the past ones, the smile has reached his eyes.

“You’re good at this.”

“Nah, I just have a good subject.”

Huh. He looks up at Yeonjun slightly confused with what he says , but his phone vibrated again.

>> Beom-hyung, I want to see you.

<< This brat. So impatient.

<<[image attached].

He watches Taehyun type in a reply then stops and then types in again. “I’m going ahead now.” Yeonjun says and he looks up to say goodbye. “Can you give me an update on the staff?”

“Don’t I always?” Yeonjun smirks with a wink. Beomgyu grins with a thumbs up. Yeonjun says, “Don’t forget to eat your lunch.”

“Yeah, thanks again.” He nods walking back to his table as he heard the door slam shut. Taehyun still hasn’t responded and Beomgyu begins opening up the lunch Yeonjun bought him- stir fried vegetables with spicy shredded pork.

Hes about to sit down for lunch when his phone buzzed to life.

>> Beom-hyung is so handsome.

______

A dancer. Kang Taehyun is a dancer.

Ever since he revealed what his job is, Taehyun has been sending Beomgyu clips of himself practicing his dance moves and those videos does something with Beomgyu, making him question what is he even doing with himself.

Everyday he finds himself looking forward to those Kakaotalk messages from the boy and whenever he feels his phone buzz, his stomach does a flipflop out of pure giddiness. His team also seems to notice the change-many times he sees them giving each other side glances whenever thet catch him smiling at his phone.

>>[image attached]

>> Beom-hyung, am I handsome?

>>[image attached]

>>[image attached]

>>[image attached]

“Beomgyu hyung, the deliveries for the plants are on the way to KTH Studio.” Another junior, is on his way back from buying coffee for the rest of the team.

They are at KTH studio, already putting the final touches on the seven dance rooms of the studio. He places his phone on his makeshift desk, just beside his laptop and nods at the junior in acknowledgement. He gets the coffee he is offered and mumbles a thanks, “I better start the mural in front.”

“You need any help?” Yeonjun asks, wiping sweat from his brow. They just finished installing the curtains and carpets in one room and he and the other two juniors are currently resting on the floor. Beomgyu shakes his head, “No, I’ll be fine. Hueningkai has already primed the wall for me two days ago.”

He passes the said junior and ruffles his hair before going to the front of the studio. Manila paper is still covering the huge windows but there are already a few tears here and there which lets a bit of sunlight come in. Not enough light though, so Beomgyu opens his floodlight and focuses it on the empty white wall.

He feels an excitement rush through him as he stared at the blank canvas in front of him, rising at 3x3 meters. This is the reason why he took the project. Interior design is something both he and Yeonjun are good at, but his real passion is in painting and creating murals. Putting his imagination into actual art, sharing it to other people and wondering if they can feel the emotions he is feeling now whenever they look at it. It's what he’s living for.

His paint buckets and brushes are arranged neatly on the floor, his ladder already set up and ready to be used and he knows he has to thank Minhee for that. That kid has really good attention to details.

He takes off his green hoodie preferring to handle paint with his black undershirt. He pulls up his bangs from his face with a few hair clips he bought with him, rolls his worn-out jeans and starts off work by mixing the paint to his desired colours.

In his bare clothes, and only the glass protecting him from the winter cold, he is thankful that at least the heater is on and he won’t freeze his fingers as he works. He takes out his iPad, measuring tape, pencil and gaffer tape to start mapping out the colour blocks for his mural.

Unlike other artists, Beomgyu likes to work on his murals without music-letting the sound of the street lull him into an almost hypnotic state of calm. He works diligently and efficiently, painting up the color blocks he made with meticulous care as the sound of traffic outside and of people chatting away is carried inside his space, creating a beautiful background noise.

There are times he hates the loudness of the city-but there are times such as this when he just revels in it. It’s the sound of life.  It’s proof that hes still alive and the world is still moving. Sometimes, he can dance to this rhythm, and sometimes he’s off beat. Doesn’t matter because he loves it anyway.

He notes a few times when the juniors would pass by the room either to check on him or bring him what he thinks is food. But they do not talk or attempt at making conversation. Probably Yeonjun’s doing- that guy has briefed most of their staff about how he always prefers to get lost in his work and only a few people are allowed to ease him back to reality. Yeonjun, being one of them.

Hes lost in the forest of blue and green hues when he sees Yeonjun finally enter his space. The guy stands in the corner, waiting for him to notice and when he gives him something like a side glance, Beomgyu knows the magic is over. He doesn’t know how much time has passed by but when he looked, it was already dark outside.

Yeonjun, as if reading his thoughts, supplies in a small voice, “Its already seven thirty.”

Beomgyu goes down from his high and suddenly feels the exhaustion wash over him. He holds himself up on the stairs of the metal ladder, “I was working all day?”

“Yeah,” Yeonjun eyes the untouched trays of food on the single table of the room, “And you didn’t take a break.” He says, walking towards Beomgyu, holding up a thermos.

Beomgyu takes it gratefully and drinks gulps of water, realizing how thirsty he was. Yeonjun chooses not to comment on it, already used to his artistic faults, as he calls it. Instead he checks the walls and nods in approval, “These colours look great.”

“Yeah?” Beomgyu sits on the stool next to the table and finally decides to eat some decent food. The stir fried pork is cold but he is famished and has really no time to be picky at all.

“Your phone has also been busy, by the way.” Yeonjun says as he eats. Beomgyu remembers instantly and scrambles inside his desk, surprising the juniors who are about to go home. He remembers himself and gives them proper goodbyes.

He has at least twenty messages and two missed calls. All of them from Taehyun. he feels his face heat up as he unlocks his phone.

>> Beom-hyung, you don’t think I’m handsome?

>> Oh, maybe youre at work. Sorry for messaging you. I also have a rehearsal today so I’ll message you after.

>> [image attached]

>> My manager gave me this custard pudding. Its my first time having it and its so sweet. Do you like pudding, Beom-hyung?

>> Right, you’re still probably working. Rehearsals will start after so message after? Don’t forget to eat lunch. You’re too thin.

-4:05 PM-

>> Rehearsals are over! I’m so tired but our group wants to go out and have drinks.

>> [video sent]

>> Check out our new dance. Its called perfume dance lol.

>> I choreographed it.

>> Beom-hyung are you still busy?

-6:32 PM-

>> Beom-hyung, you still busy?

>> Is it okay if we talk? I mean…

>> I want to hear how you sound like.

-6:39 PM-

One missed call from Kang Taehyun.

-6:42 PM-

One missed call from Kang Taehyun.

-6:54 PM-

>> Beom-hyung are you still at work? Or are you really avoiding me?

>> Do you not like talking to me?

>> Am I annoying you?

>> I’m sorry Beomie-hyung, just…

Beomgyu cant help but smile at how adorable he is. He’s such a kid, he thinks fondly before typing in a reply.

<< Still at work. Didn’t expect you to go clingy on me just because I got busy.

It only takes a few seconds before his phone is ringing and the name Kang Taehyun flashes on the screen. He looks at it, heart in his throat and a rush of excitement flooding in his body. He swipes the screen to answer the call, holding his breath. He hears a voice on the other end of the phone saying

“Beom-hyung.”

And just that single phrase, he feels his heart soar. Which is pathetic really, because Kang Taehyun’s voice is nothing out of the ordinary granted it sounds unexpectedly deeper than he expects, judging from the selfies he had been sending him, but he doesn’t understand why there is a jungle inside his stomach now just by hearing him on the phone.

He opens his mouth to say Taehyun-sshi and try if the words he had typed for a hundred times now actually rolls out better in his tongue.

“Taehyun-sshi….” Then his phone dies.

______

<< I told you, my phone ran out of juice.

>> Right. You just hung up on me.

<< Don’t be stupid, Taehyun-sshi.

>> Its really a pity because I have a sexy phone voice.

<< Where do you hide your ego in such a small body?

>> Can I call you?

<< My phone is still charging.

>> Or you just don’t really want to talk?

<< Taehyun-sshi, how about I call you tomorrow morning instead?

>> Are you not busy tomorrow?

<< I am, but I’ll be free in the morning. I have to make sure the first base of paint in my mural is dry so I’ll drive by and meet with one of our clients tomorrow morning instead.

>> So, you’re not really free?

<< No, Taehyun-sshi. But I can find time.

>> Okay! Call me then. I’ll make sure I go find a good signal tomorrow.

<< Good signal? Why? Are you not currently in Seoul?

>> No. I'm in a location shoot here in Busan. But I’ll be fine. Sometimes the signal here is bad.

<< Location shoot? What for? I thought you were a dancer?

>> I also act sometimes, Beom-hyung. Anyway, the director’s calling us so I’ll go ahead now.

>> Call me tomorrow.

>> Good night, Beom-hyung.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 93 8
If theres one thing fire and ice have in common; Get too close, and you'll get burned. In a world where 1% of the population is born with a superhum...
3.5K 152 17
Where in a universe, your loved one's name is marked on your wrist like a permanent tattoo visibly. No privacy of love interest is hidden, they're al...
20Cm By ♕

Fanfiction

8.8K 365 30
Professional baseball player Kang Taehyun has achieved success and fame in his career, but deep down, he feels an emptiness that can only be filled b...
74.5K 5.6K 46
All superheroes doesn't wear cape.... Whether it's a thorny path with no one by your side, don't be afraid and walk alone. Taehyung tries to fight fo...