ANCHOR。 DIEGO HARGREEVES

By overture-

❝ oh, you haven't heard? damaged people thrive when side by side. ❞ in which the amateur magician and the int... More

。 anchor
。 graphic gallery
。 trailer
00.
01.
02.
03.
04.
05.
06.
07.
08.
09.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.

29.

2.3K 106 14
By overture-

TWENTY-NINE; PATCH

IT WAS HARD TO IGNORE THE INNER DANGER SENSOR IMPLANTED IN SABRINA'S HEAD. But what was it for? She hadn't seen Diego since earlier that morning, so it couldn't be him (she'd gotten used to the constant threat of harm in his presence, though). The only conclusion she could come to was that she was about to be violently murdered by an intruder, or something was going to happen to someone she'd spoken to that day. To be completely honest, she still had no clue how her powers worked.

She stood in the front hall of her apartment and reached for the phone, punching in Diego's number with the assumption that he wasn't going to answer. She held the handset to her ear and listened to the line ring, before she reached his voicemail. Groaning, she leaned against the wall and gently hit her head against the plaster. She hung up irritably, not sure if she was grateful or disappointed that he hadn't picked up.

What could he have done anyway? He wasn't exactly invincible, though it seemed like it sometimes.

She exhaled and shoved her hands in her pockets, thinking back to what Eudora had said earlier in the day. A motel and Diego's brother. A sick feeling twisted in her stomach, and she looked over at Gary, who was watching the documentary on the Sahara with wide, confused eyes. "Gary?"

The dog twisted his head to look at his owner.

Sabrina managed a grin as she reached for her car keys. "What do you say to a little road trip?"

★☆

The motel was dark and weird and made the sensor inside Sabrina ding like the timer on a microwave at three in the morning. Gary sat in the passenger seat, quite occupied with how his breath fogged up against the window. Sabrina looked out the windscreen nervously, waiting to see if anything dodgy was happening.

She perked up when she saw Eudora's figure walking along the verandah, and she jumped out of the car and ran across the parking lot, her stomach twisting with dread each step she took.

She wanted to call out the detective's name, but that probably would have been stupid. She'd done a million dumb things in her life, today wasn't going to be another time she made a mistake. Her feet took her past the reception, through the parking lot and towards the stairs. She stared at them for a second, as if running a thousand scenarios through her head.

Something bad was coming, but she had no idea what.

Jogging up the stairs, Sabrina bent over a little to catch her breath once she reached the top. She remembered the directed Eudora was headed, so she started off that way, her flip-flips slapping against the concrete ground. Each step she took made her stomach twist with dread - though she willed herself to keep going.

Her pace was consistent for the most part, until a dark figure slipped through one of the apartments and stood in the open doorway next door. Sabrina didn't register the raised weapon at first, but broke into a run when the sound of a gunshot ripped through the air.

"Hey!" she yelled, eyes wide in shock. She kicked her jandals off and sprinted across the walkway, unarmed yet incredibly determined. She gasped when the person with the gun turned towards her, so she raised her arm and gritted her teeth, muttering the words Diego had engrained in her head. "Dream and reality coincide."

God, she wished there was something easier to say to spark her powers. Luckily, she was just quick enough, as an invisible shield formed in front of her body, absorbing the bullet that was directed at her. The perpetrator faltered when the shot didn't hit, before they fired another four. Sabrina was drawing closer and closer, enough to see the light from inside the motel room hit their face. A woman in a suit. It looked an awful lot like the suit she'd seen on the burglars at the Hargreeves home last night...

Coincidentally (and perfectly timed in a comedic sense), a lightbulb flickered above Sabrina's head. Her brows furrowed together angrily as she registered the face of the woman who had broken in and terrorised Diego's family. "You motherfucker!"

Before she could materialise any kind of weapon, a second person ran out of the room, sparing her only a glance before he grabbed his partner's arm and pulled her towards the second set of stairs. Sabrina's jaw set, and she picked up her pace, though when she reached the motel door and caught sight of what was inside, she almost lost her footing.

Her feet skidding against the concrete, she dropped her guard and stared into the room, tears quickly forming in her eyes. Lying on the carpet, lifeless, was Eudora. Blood soaked both her jacket and the floor, her gun sitting a foot away from her limp hand. Sabrina swore, before yelping as she felt a familiar sensation tear through the top of her shoulder, narrowly missing her neck. She ducked as she heard the shot, but was a second too late to miss being hit. Her knees hit the ground, pain rushing through her body, but she didn't stop herself from crawling over to Eudora, the agony within her nothing in comparison to her increasing grief.

A car engine started in the parking lot, but she paid it no mind. It wasn't her car, at least.

"Eudora," she cried, almost falling beside the corpse. The motel room was empty, but the atmosphere was so heavy it felt claustrophobic. "Dora, oh my god."

Her fingers reached for the woman's neck, trying to feel for a pulse. Nothing. Eudora was gone. Sabrina choked out a sob, using the fallen chair beside her to pull herself to her feet.

A telephone. There had to be one in here.

She stumbled around, hands covered in her friend's blood and clothes covered in her own, searching for a landline.

She found one on the bedside table between the two beds and picked it up, dialling 9-1-1.

"Nine-one-one, what is your emergency?" a monotonous voice rung through the line, only twisting the metaphorical knife in Sabrina's gut even more.

"I...I have a dead police officer...I was too late...t-they got away," she fumbled over her words, wiping tears from her cheeks with the back of her hand, smearing red across her skin. "I'm at...um...Lunar Motor Lodge Motel, please...fuck...please send an ambulance, a cop car...God, send something, just please get here!"

"What is your name?"

"Bri...Sabrina Nilsson," she felt like she was going to throw up.

"An ambulance and police car have been dispatched, Sabrina," they said, their voice dropping into a slightly calmer tone to soothe her. "Would you like me to stay on the phone until they arrive?"

She swallowed the bile rising in her throat. "N-No, I think I'll be okay."

With that, she hung up and crawled back to Eudora, hiccuping as she tried to contain herself.

It always seemed to hurt a little more when good people died, and Eudora was one of the best. She'd dedicated her life to saving and protecting others, and yet here she was, gone.

"Klaus?!" she heard someone call from outside the room. Sabrina's head shot up, her hands trembling as she held Eudora's face.

She couldn't form the words to respond to him. When he appeared in the doorway, he froze, seeing the two women lying on the ground.

Any and all words were sucked out of him, rendering him useless. "Brie...?"

Sabrina barely had the strength to look over, her eyes clouded with tears. Her mouth was moving, but she couldn't seem to say anything.

Diego rushed forward and fell to his knees. His hands reached to sit atop Sabrina's, squeezing them tight. "Oh my God."

Sabrina rested her forehead against his shoulder, choking out a sob. "Y-you can't be here. I called the cops..."

"I...I..." he couldn't form any words. "Who did this?"

She inhaled a shaky breath. "Those guys from the other night. I should've been here with her - asked her to wait for me. Diego..."

"I should've been here, too," he muttered, staring down at Eudora. His romantic feelings for her may have died, but that didn't make it hurt any less. His heart felt like it was going to fall out of his chest, and if Sabrina hadn't been sitting next to him right now, he'd storm out and shoot anyone in his way to find the people responsible. However, he was paralysed. He couldn't leave Sabrina. Not when she'd found herself in trouble yet again. 

She sniffled, wiping away tears with the back of her hand, accidentally smearing blood across her cheek. "They're gonna think you did it. You have to go."

"I'm not leaving you." 

"Diego," she gathered enough strength to push him away once sirens broke through the silence. It broke her to see the look on his face, but she knew it was something she had to do. "I'll meet you at your place. Just get outta here, okay?"

He reluctantly got to his feet when the red and blue lights started streaming through the cheap curtains. He took one last look at Eudora, then sent Sabrina a warning stare. "I'm gonna hold you to that. Don't you dare do anything stupid."

Her mind was too broken to think of a witty comeback, so she just watched him run out the door. Her grip on Eudora tightened until she swore she heard the woman's fingers crack, and she waited. 

She waited for the confirmation that everything had, in fact, fallen apart. 

★☆

whats this? an update? and it's garbage? YOU BETCHA 

apologies for having you guys wait so long, idk if y'all even remember this book, but I promise I think about it all the time, I just am severely mentally ill and can't seem to write anything I'm happy with at the moment lmfaoooooooooo

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

92.4K 2.3K 21
𝒆𝒖𝒏𝒐𝒊𝒂 ━━ (n.) a pure and well-balanced mind, ❛ beautiful thinking ❜ 𝒊𝒏 𝒘𝒉𝒊𝒄𝒉 ━ 1963, five hargreeves travels back...
311K 8.9K 45
How dysfunctional can a family get? Throw in some powers, an emotionally absent dad, raising emotionally stunted children, one of them stuck in a chi...
Luzia ² By X_random_X

General Fiction

47.5K 1.1K 19
"Because from the moment something bad happens to you, they all act like they care" -Luzia Hargreeves "Team zero" Book two
437K 10.5K 27
❝I ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ᴡᴇ sʜᴏᴜʟᴅ ᴀʟʟ ɢᴏ ᴀʀᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴏᴏᴍ ᴀɴᴅ sᴀʏ ᴡʜʏ ᴡᴇ'ʀᴇ ʜᴇʀᴇ. Eɪɢʜᴛ? Yᴏᴜ'ᴠᴇ ʙᴇᴇɴ ʜᴇʀᴇ ʟᴏɴɢᴇsᴛ, ᴄᴀʀᴇ ᴛᴏ sʜᴀʀᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ sᴛᴏʀʏ?❞ ❝Iᴛ sʜᴏᴜʟᴅ ʙᴇ ᴘʀᴇᴛᴛʏ sᴇ...