Nothing to See Here

By jdvanhagar

These are short stories, flash and microfictions, most less than 500 words, the longest about 1500 words. Sho... More

Preface
Until Something Better Comes Along
Brains
School Bus
Walking Meditation
Birdseed
Grits
Too Long in London
The Super Friends
Nano-Dino™, Inc.
Felonious
Downstream
Mars One
Faults
The Countdown
Order of the Mustache
Letter to My Future Self
Downhill
The Stopping
The Long Unspoken
Today
Fear
The Kiss
Minute Millionaire
The Amazing Powers of Yeast
Outlaw
Fear and Loathing in California
Agua Mala
The Beginning of the End
Hating Life
Running Late
Pisan Zapra
Vacilando
Tsundoku
Mångata
Photo Credits
Author Notes

Family Reunion

11 0 0
By jdvanhagar

Chauncy had slept with each of the three sisters and married two. He cheated on his first wife, the eldest, with her youngest sister, resulting in her impregnation. When his wife found out about their affair she filed for divorce, and ever since the two sisters never spoke. The middle sister, who had always been passed over for her two more attractive siblings, became enamored with Chauncy's flirtatious advances, and they were wed before the ink on the divorce papers had even dried.

Between the three sisters Chauncy had fathered five children. He was their father and their uncle. They were cousins and half-siblings. These things get confusing, as is often the case with families, especially one so tangled up in itself.

Chauncy's mother-in-law had died and the sisters would be together in the same room for the first time in years. The entire family had already gone into the church, but Chauncy loitered outside in the parking lot to smoke a cigarette and bolster his nerve. He wondered how it would pan out. Would all be forgotten and forgiven with kissing and hugging and what were we thinkings? Would his first wife make a scene like she always did, embarrassing everybody with her accusatory rants, calling the youngest sister a slut and a whore in front of the entire family? He envisioned the casket getting spilled into the aisle in the hair-pulling scuffle, that the tragic reunion would be far more depressing than the actual funeral.

He stamped out his butt and made his way to the entrance, but discovered the door to the church locked tight. The sisters had decided that the best way to keep the peace during the service would be to exclude Chauncy altogether.

At least they could finally agree on something.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

182 35 32
I am writing flash fictions from April 1st 2024 to April 30th 2024. I found these prompts on Pinterest and I wanted to try writing them in my own wa...
9 1 15
These anthology contains some of the stories that I wrote under compulsion of the flow, under the compulsion to express the characters in their raw a...
352 30 100
In "100 Laughs," readers will find a collection of 100 funny, light-hearted short stories that will leave them smiling and chuckling. From misadventu...
1.1K 58 33
Silly, surreal and sometimes serious, these thirty-one very short stories cover a vast range of subjects and themes. Written entirely during July 201...