She Penned my Dreams

By Livikati21

When author Katie Townsend and Spencer Reid meet in a bookstore, there's an immediate curiosity between them... More

She Penned my Dreams
Morning After
On My Mind
Back to Reality
First Date
Day and Night
Addicted
Missed You
The Talk
The Case
Something to Hope in
Annabel Lee
Eclipse
Moving Day
The Boss
Gone Again
Running Scared
Changed?
Light and Love
Close to Home
Quake
Frantic
Defiance
Leads
Finally
Finished

The Call

15.7K 383 128
By Livikati21

Katie

I woke up to light streaming in Spencer’s bedroom window. I laid there peacefully, happy to just listen to his heartbeat. We’d been officially together for 3 months now, and if his apartment had felt comfortable before, now it was practically my second home. I even had some basic toiletries in his bathroom.

I was about to wake up Spencer when I remembered it was a Saturday. Looking at his clock I saw it was already 8:00. Spence hadn’t been called in yet, which hopefully meant I could have him all day. There was a new exhibit in the Natural History museum I was dying to go to, and I’d been days since Spencer and I could actually go anywhere together. But I didn’t mind when he got called away for work. He had to go save the world, and it gave me time to work on my new story and hang out at Square Toes. The more time I spent with Spence, the less I spent writing or with my sister. When he worked, I had the chance to do both. And when he didn’t, I got to spend mornings like this. But I wasn’t quite ready for it to be morning yet, and drifted back off to sleep, listening to Spencer’s breathing.

It was an hour and a half later when I woke up to my phone ringing. I grunted, telling Spencer to get it before I realized I was alone. The bed was still warm where he’d been, and I could hear the shower running. Still half asleep, I flailed for my phone, grabbing it off the bedside table where I’d set it the night before.

“Hello?” I asked, my voice still steeped in sleep.

“Excuse me,” a deep, confused male voice said through the phone, with some other, surprised sounding people in the background, like I was on speakerphone. “I’m looking for Dr. Reid,”

“I think you have the wrong number” I mumbled, my brain not quite working yet. Obviously, I am not a morning person.

“This is Aaron Hotchner, of the FBI,” the man said, aggravated. “Who is this?”

“Holy Shit,” I said, my eyes springing open. I held the phone away from my ear to really look at it. Not my phone! “Oh my gosh, I am so sorry!” I said into the phone, flustered and embarrassed. “Shit, okay, I’ll get him.” I heard someone laughing in the background, along with several “Who is that?”s and “What the hell?”s. I jumped out of bed and ran to the bathroom, tripping on a book along the way. Spencer had just gotten into the shower, most of his hair was still dry, and he smiled at me when he saw me. His smile soon slid off his face when he saw how badly I was freaking out.

“What’s wrong?” he asked immediately, pushing open the door, stepping out of the glass shower stall, crossing the small bathroom and pulling a gun out from under the sink. He moved so fast, it took me a second to understand what he was doing. Once I did, I forgot what I’d rushed in to do, taking a moment to appreciate the view of Spencer’s tall body dripping water onto the floor as he held a slim black revolver very professionally in his hand. Suddenly I remembered the phone in my hand, and shaking my head at Spencer, I held out the phone to him.

“Hello?” he asked carefully. His eyes widened and his face paled as he recognized the voice on the other end. It was a short conversation, Spencer only answering with “Yes, sir,” and “Right away, sir.” When he hung up, we both, stood there silently. He replaced the gun under the sink and rested his forearms against the counter.

            “I didn’t mean to,” I said, quietly. I couldn’t tell if he was mad or not.

            “No, I know you didn’t,” he sighed, turning his head to look at me. “It’s just… not going to be good.”

            “You haven’t told them about me?” I asked. I probably should’ve been mad; a normal girlfriend would’ve been, thinking that he was ashamed of her. But I wasn’t, I knew Spencer better than that. If he had kept e from his team, from his family, I knew there was a good reason.

            “No, I haven’t,” he said, turning to face me, studying my face. “I just want to keep you… mine.” I furrowed my brow, confused. He ran a hand through his damp hair and leaned his hip against the counter top, still dripping onto the floor. “I work with the best profilers in the world, we share everything, nothing’s ever private. And we deal with so much evil, everyday. I just like the idea of keeping you to myself. And keeping you separate from that world.” I saw how sincere he was, and I understood what he meant.

            “So what are you going to tell them? If not the truth” I asked.

            “I don’t know,” he said, running a hand over his face.

            “Good thing you’re dating an author,” I said with a devious grin. “Let’s see, last night we went to the French foreign film expo. There was tons of wine, it wouldn’t be impossible for you to have used your French romance movie facts to bring home some sappy, foreign-affairs major college student,” I said, creating the character in my head. “Her name was Lori.”

            “You’re not mad,” He stated more than asked.

            “About what?” I asked, still half involved in the building of Lori the Sap.

            “About me explaining you away as some impressionable one-night-stand?”

            “Of course not,” I said, smiling at him, crossing the room to kiss him. “I’m yours, secret or not. Any way you want me,” I added the last part with a wink. He laughed and pulled himself away from me.

            “Kate, we have a case,” he said. “And I’ve already got a lot to explain, I don’t need to be late, too.”

            “You won’t be late,” I said stepping forward and kissing his chest, running my hands down his front.

            “Katie,” he said, shooting for a warning tone, but I knew he was cracking. Just then, his phone rang again. “Ugh,” he said, reaching for it.

            “Wait! Let me,” I said, coming up with a plan. He looked at me like I was insane. But I could sell this, I know I could. And definitely boost his rep with the team. “Trust me,” I pleaded, reaching for the phone. He slowly let me pull it from his hand. I held a finger to my lips, telling him to be quiet as I answered the phone.

            “Reid, go straight to the jet, we’ll brief you on the way,” Hotch said, his voice echoing slightly, letting me know I was on speaker again.

            “Yeah, okay, I’ll let him know,” I said, making my voice high and chipper sounding. It was silent for a moment. I imagined they were all sitting around the table, staring open-mouthed at each other.

            “Who is this?” Another voice said, a deep male voice, making it either Morgan or Rossi. But I heard a smile in his voice, leading me to believe it was more likely Morgan.

            “I’m Lori. I met Spencer last night,” I let that sink in, hearing surprised “wow”s and appreciative “huh”s. “Do you think he’s going to call me again?” I let burst out, sounding worried and pouty. Spencer dropped his head into his hands, probably regretting ever handing me this phone.

            “Excuse me?” a female voice asked.

            “Well, you guys are from his job, right?” I asked, so in character I was even twirling my hair around one finger. “You know him better than anyone.”

            “Yeah, that’s probably true,” the same woman agreed.

            “So you would know what he’s going to do next, right? I mean, between last night and this morning, I gather he does this a lot—“ Spencer’s eyes bugged out of his head and he reached for the phone, but I jumped out of his range, gesturing for him to wait.

            “Oh, you did, huh?” the same man from before asked laughing, assuring me it was in fact Spencer’s best friend, Morgan.

            “Obviously, you don’t learn tricks like that without practice,” I said, allowing my voice to go all soft and dreamy, like I was a teenager gushing about her new boyfriend to her best friend.

            “I’m sorry,” said the same woman from earlier. “I’m not sure we have the right number, we are talking about Dr. Spencer Reid, right?” She asked jokingly, leading me to think this woman to be Emily Prentiss. Spencer always told me about how nice and accepting JJ was, a joke like that would’ve had to come from Prentiss.

             “You know he speaks French?” I continued, ignoring Emily’s jib. “And he knows everything there is to know about French film. Do you think he’ll call me?” I heard roaring laughter on the other end, and I smiled, knowing Morgan must be beside himself. I’m fairly certain I heard a “My Man!”

            “I couldn’t say,” Hotch’s voice came through the line again, clear and business like. “But it is very important he gets here soon, he has a job to do.”

            “Of course, I’ll tell him right away.” I assured, just like Lori would to her Communications professor.

            “Bye Lori!” I heard Morgan call before the line went dead. I handed the phone back to a pale faced Spencer.

            “I can’t believe you just did that,” he said, shaking his head slowly. “I can’t believe I let you do that!”

            “Trust me, it’ll work. The only explaining you’ll have to do is to Morgan, he’s gonna want all the dirty details,” I said, grinning at him. “Maybe I could give you some good material for that too,” I suggested, pressing against his damp skin. Spencer groaned and looked at the wall over my head.

            “Hotch called back to tell me to meet them at the jet, not the headquarters, right?” He asked, his voice slightly unsteady as I sucked beads of water from his chest.

            “Mmhmm” I said, collecting droplets with the tip of my tongue.

            “So I should really get going,” He said, having to clear his throat, his knuckles white from gripping the counter behind him.

            “Hmmm, or, if you’re late, you could blame it on trying to get clingy Lori out of your apartment,” I supplied, kissing down his chest and stomach between each few words. I slid down to my knees in front of him.

            “Yeah, I guess that would work,” he breathed out. As I took him into my mouth, his hands came from the counter to tangle in my hair. After a few moments of sucking, licking and stroking, he came with a groan and a curse. He pulled me up gently by my chin and hair as I swallowed. He kissed me deeply.

            “You didn’t have to do that for me,” he said quietly, his eyes half-closed. “You didn’t have to do any of that,” he said, referring to my conversation with his team. “I would never ask you to do that.”

            “I know, that’s why I did. I did it because I wanted to and because it’d make you happy, even if you’d never ask for it,” I assured him. He kissed me again, before pulling back, hold me at arms length to better appreciate the view of me standing braless in a white tank top, the front of which was soaked from the water still clinging to his skin. I slowly pulled it over my head, leaving my boyshort panties on so he could take them off himself. He liked to throw them.

            I kissed him again, pulling him close against me as we stumbled backwards into the still running, now steaming, shower. This would turn out to be a good morning after all.

Spencer

            Rushing to meet my team at the jet, I couldn’t help but shake my head again at all that Katie had said to them this morning. I was seriously in for it. I was only running 5 minutes late, as I had had a go-bag already packed and waiting by the door. And the only thing I did in the shower was Katie, not having the time to actually wash my body or hair. I didn’t care though, still don’t. Every second with Katie was worth it.

            Hurrying to the jet, I kept a carefully-designed half frown on my face. We hadn’t said much by way of goodbye when I left, but Katie had been sending me coaching texts on my way to the airstrip.

            Katie- They know you just had sex, but don’t try to act like it. Act normal, then they’ll wonder how often you do stuff like this.

            Katie- But don’t act to happy either, you’re embarrassed they know, and annoyed it took so long to get her out.

            Katie- If anyone asks how it was, smile and say it was just like any other night.

Gosh, she was such a great girlfriend.

            Spencer- Thanks Katie. I’ll call you when I can.

            Boarding the jet, I kept my head down as I took my seat. JJ dropped a case file in my lap, studying me carefully. Everyone except for Hotch was studying me, searching for differences in my behavior. But I took Katie’s tip and kept everything consistent.

            “You don’t look any different,” Rossi finally said, breaking the awkward silence.

            “Why should I?” I asked noncommittally, quickly reading through the file.

            “You just had sex,” Prentiss supplied.

            “That is correct,” I said, sounding as disinterested as I could manage. “It’s unlikely the unsub lives in the area in which he kills.”

            “Why do you say that?” Hotch asked, looking up from his file, not happy of course, but seemingly relieved someone wanted to talk about the case.

            “He cleans up after his kills, almost obsessively. He wouldn’t be able to handle living anywhere are dirty as the downtown area the victims are taken from and dumped in.” I said, looking at some of the photos and maps in the file.

            “Was she cute?” Morgan asked, smiling wolfishly.

            “Was who cute?” I asked, studying the positioning of the poor, murdered prostitute.

            “Lori,” He prompted. “And how’d you meet her?”

            “Oh, um, yes, all her features were quite symmetrical,” I said, flipping to the next page. “And I met her at the French Film Expo,”

            “And you took her home?” he asked, borderline gleefully. I merely looked at him from over my glasses, having been too rushed to put in my contacts.

            “Yes, that would be how she ended up in my apartment this morning,” I said, blandly.

            “You’re acting like it’s no big deal,” JJ interjected, sounding slightly scandalized. I imagine she thought of me as a younger brother, a flash of innocence at her job that was so steeped in death.

            “It’s not a big deal,” I said, looking around at all the faces still scrutinizing me. “She was just a girl,” The lie burned, not because I told it to all my closest friends, but because it was so blaringly untrue. Katie was so much more than just ‘a girl.’

            “Can we focus on the case, please?” Hotch finally snapped. “We have 3 dead women, and I doubt any of you know their names.” That brought all my coworkers staunchly back to work, remembering the job we had to do. That saved me for a while, and I pushed the thought of Katie (and “Lori”) out of my head. However, after the plane leveled in the air, and I got up to get coffee, Morgan got up with me, following me to the back.

            “My man,” he said, slapping me on the back. “What was she like?”

            “I don’t know what you mean,” I said, focusing on my coffee.

            “You know exactly what I mean,” he said, wiggling his eyebrows at me. “Since when did you have so much game?”

            “C’mon, Morgan,” I insisted. “We just got a case.”

            “And you just got some tail,” he countered.

            “You know, I’m slightly offended you are all treating this like some natural phenomenon,” I said, turning towards him, finishing up with my coffee. “It’s like you all think I have sex about as often as full lunar eclipses occur.”

            “Sorry, man,” Morgan said, holding his hands up, but still smiling widely. “We just didn’t know you had it in ya.” I rolled my eyes again, and walked back to my seat. “I mean, a French Film Expo, that’s pure genius!” He called after me, earning a laugh from Rossi and Prentiss, and grimace from JJ and the slightest hint of smile-like twitch from Hotch. This was going to be a long case.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

652K 12.9K 45
Kraven Collins is the daughter of Dauntless leader Mikael Collins. After her shocking results at the aptitude test, she comes home to find another ma...
2.9M 92.4K 60
Paige was going home. It had been a long time she had thought of it as home but her brothers wedding was bringing her back. As the only human in the...
40.7K 783 26
They say opposites attract. Maybe that's why Iris has always felt two opposite forces pulling her towards different directions; Her present, groundin...
567K 12.6K 39
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.