High School Bites

By eplision

The funny thing about going to a new high school in Booth Bay Harbor, is that no matter how hard you try to b... More

High School Bites
High School Bites Ch. 3
High School Bites
High School Bites (Ch. 5 & 6)
High School Bites
High School Bites (Ch. 8)
High School Bites (Chapter 9)
High School Bite (Ch.11)
High School Bites (Ch.12)

High School Bites Ch. 10

189 5 3
By eplision

Chapter 10: Meet the Family

       When the bell rang I went outside and waited for Devin on the school steps in the front of the school. I leaned against the railing and drummed my fingers. I had to be the most impatient person on the planet. Suddenly Trina brushed pass me with another girl following quickly at her heels. "Oh look Jess, its goth girl." Trina snickered and the other girl named Jess laughed without humor. Goth girl, that's the best they can do? Wow that's pretty sad for a couple of stuck up snobs. I smirked and watched as they entered a black SUV, probably Trina's dad's, and drove away. "Hey Kate." I turned and saw Devin walking toward me, a smile upon his face. I smiled and said, "Oh hey Devin. So where's this Uncle of yours that you want me to meet so badly?" "His house, well more like our house I live with him" He said as he lead the way down the sidewalk. I nodded and followed him. He babbled on about school and the athletics department. But I didn't really listen I was thinking of what I should say to Devin's uncle. After all this will be the first pure blood vampire I'll meet. Well besides my mom but I never actually met her.

      When we arrived at his house my eyes widened. 'Not what you expected is it?" Devin asked. I nodded to speechless to speak. It was huge like a freaking mansion. It had Greek columns, dark red brick walls, and an arch over the front door that looked like something from a medieval movie. It had a little something from every era in time. Everything put together so perfectly it makes the White House look like a child's play toy. I wanted to tell him how great it was but instead being the stupid person I am I said, "Wow." He smiled and nodded then the front door flung open. Before me stood a tall man with brown hair, topaz eyes that could pierce right through your soul and pale skin. He looked to be in his mid-thirty's to low-forty's. He smiled when he saw Devin and I. "Kate this is my Uncle Benne. Uncle Benne this is Kate." Devin said and gestured to me then his Uncle. The way he looked at me gave me the feeling that I wasn't what he expected.  But then again that's how most people look at me when they first meet me. "Nice to meet you Kate. But please call me Mike." He said, stepping forward and holding out her hand. He seemed nice enough. "Like wise." I replied and shook his hand. Then he released my hand and said, "Please come inside won't you?" I nodded and walked through the door.

       The inside of the house looked like the inside of one of those beach houses you see in those brochures they give you at the airport. Devin motioned for me to sit down on a near by sofa in the living room. He sat next to me and his uncle sat across from us and said, "So Kate, you're half vampire is that right? Mother vampire father human?" I nodded. It didn't surprise me that he knew what I was but it did surprise me that he knew my mother was a vampire. "Your father told Devin and Devin told me." He replied obviously reading my thoughts. I nodded again and asked, "So what's this whole get to know each other shindig all about really?" He glanced at Devin briefly then turned his attention back to me. "Well it's to my understanding that you don't know of or how to control all your powers. So I was wondering if you'd like me to teach you. With Devin's help of course." He said calmly. My eyes narrowed. He didn't seem to be lying to me about the whole teaching stuff but I could tell that he wasn't telling me something. But what? I looked from Devin to Mike then said, "Sure why not. But what else is their?" Mike tilted his head to the side and said, "What would make you think that there was anything else to tell Kate?" I sat back into the sofa and crossed my legs. "Well first of all I can see it in your eyes that you're not telling me everything. Secondly, I don't trust you one damn bit and thirdly you just give me the creeps." I said as I smirked slightly at him.

      He straightened in his chair and looked at me in one of those 'stop being so stupid' kinda stare. "Kate you can trust me but some things are better left unsaid." He said putting emphasis on the a in can. 'You do you trust me?' I looked at Devin and saw him staring at me. I narrowed my eyes at him. 'What did I tell you about snooping in my head Devin?' He grimaced. 'Don't change the subject. So do you trust me?' I lowered my gaze. It's not that I don't trust him, it's just that......well I don't know really. But I guess I do trust him. I looked him straight in the eyes. 'Of course Devin.' That seemed to make his day by the largeness of his smile.  'Then trust him. Trust me he may seem indestructible on the outside but he's a huge marshmallow on the inside.' A smug look spread across his face. "Care to fill me in on your little conversation?" We both looked at Mike and he seemed rather displeased that he didn't know what we were talking about. That made me happy in a weird kinda way. I stood up and stared Mike straight in the eyes and said, "Fine but if you're pulling my leg about this so help me god I'll drop kick your ass faster than you can blink." My eyes narrowed as he chuckled slightly. "Don't worry Kate soon you'll learn to trust me in time." I smirked. You wish.

    After a few long awkward moments I said, "Well it's been fun and all but I gotta run. See ya later." But just as I was about to open the door and escape this gilded cage Devin's phone rang. "Wait! It's your dad. Here." He handed me the phone and I slowly put it to my ear. "Hi dad." I said in a weak voice. "Oh good, Kate Mr. Benne told me about the lessons and I want you to accept his offer and stay their so you can start as soon as you can." His voice came out in a rushed humming noise into my ear. Stay here, is he crazy? "But dad I...." I began to say but he cut me off and said, "Don't you start with the excuses young lady. You have no idea how long I've waited for you to learn how to use your.....talents. Oh crap I gotta go sweet heart. The traffic is terrible. What the hell man you just......." Then there was nothing except the droning sound coming from my phone. So he just ditches me here for lessons from a dude I don't even know that well? Jeez he might as well just drop me off at a strip club to make new friends. I handed Devin his phone back and a smug look crossed his face.

Continue Reading