apricity || JJ (outer banks)

By avxngers

apricity ❝ the warmth of the sun in the winter ❞ in which he was the sun that made her winters better. and s... More

APRICITY
epigraph
PROLOGUE
one
two
three
five

four

202 8 0
By avxngers

| CHAPTER FOUR | what's worse

*⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

"Well that was a lovely screaming match," John B smiled up at her as she entered the Chataeu, the door slamming behind her. Marlee huffed in annoyance, plopping down beside him on the pull out couch as they hear JJ's bike speed away. As promised, she gave JJ a piece of her mind on all the things he cannot stop her from doing, and the utter stupidness of actually shooting the gun. She didn't have as much of a problem with using it to get Topper to stop, but shooting it only put JJ in jeopardy. The cops could find out, and then his dad could find out, and Marlee was worried for him.

She kicks her feet up, reclining backwards. "Thanks," she muttered, closing her eyes, exhausted. After the kegger disastor, she went to check on her grandma, who was already fast asleep, before deciding to stay with John B for the night. She knew he had to be reeling from what Topper said, just that he was hiding it well. "Are you okay?" Marlee asked, cracking open one eye to look at John B, in hopes he wouldn't just blow it off.

"My face fuckin' hurts," he shrugged, Marlee frowning at the response. She sat up, crossed her legs, and stared with squinted eyes until he continued. John B knew exactly what she was talking about. "Drowned," is all he simply said. With slight confusion, she thought for a moment about what he meant.

"Everyone says it, but it might not be true," Marlee whispered, softening. She knew it wasn't the same thing, but from time to time people would tell her all about her addict parents who died trying to get their next fix. In her heart, she always remembered making her parents promise not to drive like that, and them always reassuring her they wouldn't. And to think they could've crashed knowing the risks, knowing how that was the one thing she asked from them, hurt her even more. The risk for the reward was somehow worth more than staying alive for their own daughter.

John B nodded, before Marlee could hand over the only now half-frozen bag of peas from her house. He took it, gently holding it to his eye. "My dad wasn't an idiot. He wouldnt just--" His voice broke, and the lump in her throat is back. She hated seeing any of her friends this hurt. If anything, she just wished she could put it all on herself.

"I know," she mumbled, crawling over to him up on her knees and hugging him from behind. Her head rested on top of his, and Marlee can practically feel the tension leave him. "Don't ever let anyone tell you they knew how your dad worked. You know him best. If you say he didn't, then he didn't," confirmed Marlee, believing her words wholeheartedly. Someone as smart as his dad doesn't just disappear like that.

She didn't move for a long time, not until she heard his breaths come evenly again. "Thanks, Mar," John B said, cueing Marlee to ruffle his hair before sitting back again, in her own spot.

Smiling gently, she shrugged. "It's nothin'. Anytime you need a pep talk JB, I gotcha'," Marlee winked, watching a yawn escape John B. She follwed suit, mentally exhausted. Seeing Topper and the stress of the fight hit her hard, as well as the alcohol. Suddenly, something hit her face, the redhead flincing. She sat up to find a rubber band in her lap, proceeding to scowl at John B. "What was that for?"

"I saw you with JJ at the boneyard," he grinned, to which Marlee fought the blush off her cheeks relentlessly.

    "That doesn't mean anythinggg," she groaned, covering her eyes. "I'll dance with anyone if I'm buzzed," Marlee pouted before catching the blanket John B tossed at her. She pulled it up to her chin, peering at the boy from over it, daring him to say anything more. This wasn't the worst thing he had caught them doing, but anything else was from a while ago.

John B raised his eyebrows, the look in his eyes questionable. Marlee stuck her tongue out in response to his skepticism, making him laugh before speaking. "That may be true. But it's JJ," he pointed out, shaking a finger at her.

Marlee held up her hands in surrender, the blanket falling from her face. "I'll admit, I had a massive crush when we were younger," she emphasized, making a point of pausing on that.

    "Besides, I saw you staring at Sarah Cameron. And that's worse."

*⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

   "Oh my god, Kie, you are an actual angel, I love you!" breathed Marlee, gladly taking the sunscreen from her. She never had much leftover money to spare for her skin, but when Kiara remembered it saved her from burning constantly. "Stopping skin cancer one ginger at a time," she winked, opening the tube.

Kiara winked back at her as she went through the tanks. "Anything for you," she blew a kiss in Marlee's direction, the girl happily accepting it.

JJ had somehow convinced John B of risking his deal with Peterkin, the group currently hovering just near the sunken Grady-White. Marlee didn't have any qualms with it whatsoever, but was worried for Pope and John B. If they got caught hiding the boat for themselves and being in the marsh when it was so obviously closed, important things for them were in danger of being lost. However, money was just as enticing as it always was, as it could solve many of their problems. So JJ won out.

   "This is empty. You took empty tanks?" Kie asked, checking through the few tanks John B had 'borrowed' from the Cameron's. Marlee was sure he didn't mind too much, seeing as it was an opportunity to see Sarah. He had mentioned her a few times to her after working on the Druther's, and she had caught on that John B didn't exactly hate Sarah at all. But that was a little secret between them, despite Marlee being unsure he actually realized at all. "Okay, this one's a quarter full," sighed Kiara, gaining their attention. They would be sitting out here for nothing if a quarter full tank wasn't enough, but the boat wasn't too far down. Marlee would guess maybe thirty feet down. "It's enough for one of us."

   "Love it when a plan comes together," Pope said dryly, feet reclined up on the boat, sure none of them actually knew how to use the gear.

    "Does anybody know how to dive?" Kie spoke, glancing around. They all shrugged, as you normally had to have the expensive scuba gear to know how, which none of them had the money for. Marlee was good in water, but that didn't exactly translate to knowing how to breathe from a tank. If anything, she would get too nervous and never breathe, evidently drowning herself. "Anybody?" she said at the silence, Marlee cringing.

    "It's sort of a Kook sport," explained JJ. She nodded to his words, before picking at the gear in front of her, contemplating. It was worth possible harm or death for cash, right? Even if she offed herself trying to get it, at least her friends would end up with it.

    "I- read about it," Pope admitted, to which Marlee was sort of grateful for. He could at least coach one of them, and give them some pointers on how to not die.

   "Great!" Kie clapped her hands together sarcastically. "Pope read about it, so someone's gonna die." Marlee could hear the worry in her voice, along with the 'how-are-you-guys-so-stupid-' which made her smile.

JJ shrugged. "Look, y-you put the thing in your mouth and breathe. How hard could it be?" he asked, throwing out some hopefulness that was sure to be false. People trained for this.

   "Right," she waved in JJ's direction, before grimacing. "Kind of. I mean, I could try. I can hold my breath a long time if all else fails. It's a talent of mine," Marlee grinned, reaching up to steal the hat from JJ's head, plopping it on her own. He doesn't fight her, only reaching for it until she put a hand on her head, daring him to try and take it. JJ just shook his head and gave up with a small laugh.

    "That is a terrible plan," stated Pope, the bluntness startling her. She was just offering herself since no one else knew, and would rather herself than anyone else risk it. "It's not that easy. If you come up too fast, nitrogen gets into your blood and you get the bends," he said, looking between Marlee and JJ skeptically.

She frowned, thinking briefly. "Bends, like, bend over and--" JJ began, Marlee's eyebrows shooting upwards at his action, a brief laugh escaping her before Pope begins again and all is quiet. They all wanted to know as much as they could before someone risked their life.

    "The bends kill you," Pope said seriously, sitting up in his seat.

Marlee pursed her lips. "I can go-" she thought for a moment. "Really slowly?" she asked, raising a finger as if she had a revelation. "Won't breathe much because obviously--quarter tank, but slow," she nodded to herself as if it were that easy.

   "No," John B cut in suddenly, sitting forward. "I can dive," he said more confidently than Marlee. She was still uneasy, knowing he in fact, cannot.

   "Yeah, John B can dive," JJ muttered, playing with Marlee's hair nervously while he sat beside her. "I'm cool with that," he confirmed, to which she rolled her eyes.

Marlee pouted, resting her head in her hands. "I bet I could dive too," she grumbled, especially when Kiara reached forward and pushed the front of JJ's hat down to her nose, teasing her.

   "I actually do not think either of you can," She looked between the pair sternly as Marlee fixed the hat, before Kiara's gaze settled on John B. "Since when?" she inquired, quite easily knowing the answer.

  "I'll do it it's fine," waved John B as if it were nothing.

Pope stood up, reaching for some paper. "Let me do some calculations real quick," he rummaged for a moment before finding what he wanted.

Marlee smiled. "I don't know what we'd do without you," she reached forward to boop his nose, Pope snatching her wrist before she could take it back. She received a glare at that, and satisfied with his annoyance, took her wrist back.

   "Die, I think," he admitted, before returning his attention to his calculations. "So that boat's about thirty feet down, so it'll take twenty-five minutes at most at that depth. Which means you need to make your safety spot at about ten feet. Alright?" he looked up, meeting John B's gaze. "For two minutes."

    "Yeah, yeah," nodded John B. "For two minutes. Got it."

Marlee turned to her right, seeing Kie preparing to jump in the water, her shirt in her hand. "Angel?" she asked, Kiara glancing back at her over her shoulder at the nickname.

   "I'm helping his dumbass," she shrugged before jumping into the water. Marlee looked back up between the boys, John B the most confused as to why she was so concerned.

    "Anyways," John B said, eyes wide as he looked between them, clearing his throat.

JJ stood up, squeezing past Marlee, the key in his hand. "You look for the cargo hold alright, and you stick this thing inside and twist and pull, okay?" he instructed, handing the key over.

   "Stick in the hole, twist and pull," confirmed John B, prepping himself for the dive. Marlee snorts, face reddening as they all turn to look at her. Sure, her humor might be similar to an eight-year olds, but it entertained her.

She raised her hands in surrender. "I'm sorry, you just said--" she choked out a laugh, unable to finish. The hat falls off her head at the movement, and she reaches forwards to get it before placing it rightfully back onto JJ's head. "You are welcome."

"For giving me my own hat back?" JJ laughed, meeting her playful gaze. "Thank you, so very much," he said dryly, tipping the hat towards her.

   "Hey!" Kie called, back up from the water, startling them. "I tied my T-shirt to the anchor chain about ten feet down. It's where you need to do your safety stop," she eyed John B, making sure he was paying attention. It tended to stray a lot.

  "Cool," he breathed, and Marlee could tell he was trying to stay calm. It didn't seem to phase him much, but she could tell he was at least a little nervous. She moved back to the driver's chair so Pope could instruct John B on further equipment. 

After he finished, he looked between them all. "Hey, if we get caught out here in the marsh, we're basically screwed, so..." he pointed out, nervous  as well. "Better get a move on."

   "Nah, I can talk us out of it," Marlee reminded him. She could be very sweet if she wanted to, and get people to focus on what she wanted them to focus on. "Take your time."

   "Right, well, let's not have to," Pope responded, patting her on the shoulder. She leaned her head on him, suddenly more nervous than she had been. So much could go wrong so fast, but she just had to trust that John B would somehow remember everything Pope just said.

John B saluted them, understanding he had to hurry but also not hurry at the same time. "Copy that."

Kiara neared John B again, stepping up front. Marlee thought it was awful close until she gave him a kiss on the cheek, immediately sitting up to turn to JJ. What? She mouthed, surprised by the brunette's actions. Once again he raised his hands up, shrugging. 'Told you so.' She knew JJ thought Kie had a thing for John B, but she wasn't so sure herself. Any time Kie has been like that, she was just worried but Marlee isn't positive. It was unusal for her to be so affectionate to any of them, unlike Marlee, who almost tended to annoy them with it. That was part of  the fun, though. 

She turned to wink at John B, who was doing his best not to react to it, a light blush tinting his cheeks. Grinning, she shot him a quick thumbs up, an attempt to show her support and hide her nerves

   "Diver down?" asked John B, awaiting the okay.

   "Diver down."

*⋆.*:・゚ .: ⋆*・゚: .⋆

a.n

hi again! sorry there hasn't been much JJ & Mar yet, but i PROMISE there will be a good ol' moment soon. they just aren't the type to be all mushy in front of everyone, and there hasn't been a reason to be yet.

in other things, John B and Marlee are the bestest, sis/bro relationship, everrrrr, in my opinion. they're SO protective of each other but you can tell the difference than with Mar and JJ, when it gets to that point.

if you enjoyed, pls vote & comment any thoughts, it makes my day! thanks for reading <3

so far, who's ur favorite duo?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

537K 11.6K 38
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
147K 2.8K 31
In the whirlwind world of basketball and broken promises, Nailea finds herself at a crossroads as she prepares to transfer to the same college as Pai...
576K 35.2K 99
Kira Kokoa was a completely normal girl... At least that's what she wants you to believe. A brilliant mind-reader that's been masquerading as quirkle...
1M 42.8K 50
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...