The Arrangement

By panlock3

COMPLETE When suppressants stop working for Naruto the omega can't control his heats anymore. After an accide... More

The Decision
Decision Part II
The Arrangement
The Apology Part I
The Apology Part II
The Apology Part III
It's Complicated Part II
It's Complicated Part III
It's Complicated Part IV
It's Complicated Part V
Coming Home Part I
Coming Home Part II
Coming Home Part III
Coming Home Part IV
Coming Home Part V
Coming Home Part VI
Coming Home Part VII
Coming Home Part VIII
Coming Home Part IX
Coming Home Part X
Coming Home Part XI
Epilogue

It's Complicated Part I

3.1K 109 17
By panlock3

This work is for people who are 18+ If you are under the age of 18 please do not read. Do not vote. Do not comment. Underage users will be reported. 

Authors note:

The first few chapters in It's Complicated jump ahead in time a bit.

If this wasn't clear before, this series starts about a year after the end of the war and Naruto is 19.

The first three sections in this series (The Decisions, The Arrangement, and The Apology) take place over a six month period.

It's Complicated covers the next six months, so by the end Naruto is around 20.

_______________________________________________________________________

     The Monday following Naruto's apology, Shikamaru walks into the Hokage's office to find the blond chatting with Kakashi. The alpha is leaning against his desk, stifling a laugh while Naruto reads an incident report out loud. He's detailing Konohamaru's latest prank with all the pride of a rotten older brother. The scene makes the beta pause because, while he is happy to see that the two reconciled, it's evident that the pair did so arduously and multiple times.

     Naruto looks up and notices that the beta has stopped in the middle of the room. "Hey, are you sick or something?" He asks cluelessly, totally unaware of how he oozes sex.

     Shikamaru looks to the ceiling, pinching his nose, and mutters something that sounds a lot like I don't get paid enough for this shit before stiffly walking toward Kakashi. "Here's the agenda for the week." He hands over the itinerary, as per his usual Monday routine, and turns away as soon as the paperwork is passed off. He can't get out of the room fast enough. "And crack a damn window! It smells like spring in here," he adds as he shoves his hands in his pockets and walks out.

     Naruto's jaw drops and he whips his head up at the alpha beside him, shocked and embarrassed in equal measure.

     "Well," Kakashi deadpans and scratches the side of his masked face. "That was awkward." He winces, unable to look at his scandalized former student. Maybe Shikamaru does deserve a raise.

     Naruto contemplates jumping out of the window when he cracks it open, but figures the fall isn't likely to hurt him so it's probably a moot point. "I'm going to work in the staffers office today," he croaks out.

     "Probably for the best," the alpha says cheerfully and even though most of his face is covered, Naruto knows he's grinning.

     After that incident, Naruto and Kakashi find a comfortable equilibrium between their new arrangement and remaining professional. During the day they interact as Hokage and apprentice. Naruto also switches to prescription strength blockers designed for sexually active omegas, which helps temper his otherwise potent scent. Shikamaru is forever grateful, bless.

XiiX

     Their relationship outside of work continues to grow more complicated, even if the younger ninja seems oblivious to it. They spend more nights together than not and Kakashi eventually gives the blond a key to his place. Most evenings result in sex, but not always. Sometimes they just spend time together, comfortable both in silence and conversation. The alpha is a better cook and often makes their meals, but Naruto isn't a total disaster in the kitchen, either. They watch movies together and, on rare occasions, the omega can be convinced to give Kakashi a massage. All this occurs in private; publicly and officially nothing has changed.

     The rumor mill still whirls, and Naruto frequently catches amused, knowing glances from other omegas but he says nothing. Kakashi, too, stays tight lipped anytime someone tries to probe him for details. Even Guy, who gently inquires during one of their (frankly exhausting) sparring matches, gets rebuffed with a sunny "I don't know what you're talking about." Mostly everyone at least has an idea of what's going on, even if no one understands the depth of it. Kakashi can't help but wonder if Sasuke, wherever he is, knows what's going on. Ninja deal in information, and Naruto is well-known. It's likely that the raven-haired alpha has heard rumors. Kakashi doesn't know how to feel about that.

     The silver-haired alpha does crack, however, when Iruka corners him one day during a scheduled visit to the Academy. In the end, it's embarrassingly easy for the teacher to get him to talk.

     Kakashi is expected to speak to all graduating genin classes, even though speeches aren't really his thing. He's trying to slink away after the brats have been dismissed, thinking he should have sent Naruto, (the kids like him more anyways) when Iruka snatches the back of his Hokage robe and reels him away from the door by the collar.

     "Oh, no you don't," the sassy Chuunin chastises and yanks Kakashi around by the neck like a misbehaving pup. The alpha doesn't even have a chance to feel amused by the treatment, because the younger, omega, schoolteacher (jeez, does Kakashi have any authority around here?) is nagging him right away. "When were you planning on telling me about Naruto? I had to find out from Izumo, and that was months ago!" He hollers sternly, looking like a disapproving matron.

     "Er....I wasn't?" Kakashi winces, but then realizes that was clearly the wrong thing to say.

      "Hatake Kakashi, so help me, I will make your life a living hell if you don't explain what's going on right now!" He jabs his finger in the alpha's chest, not at all concerned he just threatened the Hokage and Anbu could rain down on his head at any second.

      Kakashi's Anbu guards must decide they don't want any of Iruka's wrath, either, because no one comes to save him. "Eeeeh," the alpha waves his arms helplessly. "It's probably not what you think."

     "Start talking," the omega demands and closes the classroom door, providing privacy and effectively boxing the other in.

      Unless Kakashi wants to flee out the window (he has some self-respect, thank you) he's going to have to say something. Maybe Kakashi just has a weakness for strong-willed omegas, but he deflates, relents, and tells Iruka the whole damn story.

     Iruka listens patiently, slipping from stern older brother figure to kindly teacher effortlessly. He doesn't appear angered or disapproving of the arrangement but still concerned for Naruto when he hears that suppressants don't work for the blond anymore. He can probably sympathize as an omega, himself.

      "I wish he had told me. I could have helped him prepare." The schoolteacher comments sadly when Kakashi breezes over how Naruto had some guilty feelings about needing a heat partner in the beginning. He doesn't go into detail here, and he's thankful the Chuunin doesn't press for more information.

     "I think he was embarrassed," ashamed, actually, Kakashi thinks tenderly but doesn't dare say it.

     Iruka might understand, anyways, because he sighs and leans against his instructor's table. "I saw Naruto a few days ago and tried to talk to him, but the brat took off. He seemed happy, though... you are taking care of him, aren't you?"

     "When he lets me," Kakashi admits. "Recently things have been...easier," he settles on and looks anywhere but at Iruka.

     The Chunin gives the other man a curious look. "Naruto rarely knows what's good for him."

     The alpha's eyes cut sideways, looking at the other. He doesn't like where this is going. "Watch it," he warns maybe a little more lowly than he intended. "It's just an arrangement. He's made that very clear."

     Iruka shrugs, unfazed by the uncharacteristically moody attitude from his Hokage. "If you say so."

     Kakashi thinks if half his Jounin had guts like this bookish school teacher, the Leaf would rule the world. "You're relentless," he huffs and crosses his arms.

     The omega grins, huge smile taking over his face without an ounce of shame. "I've been called worse. Anyways, thank you for taking care of him. It makes me feel better knowing he's got a decent alpha."

     Kakashi wants to argue. He's not Naruto's alpha, not really...but his inner beast snarls and fumes at the proposed rebuttal. He growls deep and content, pleased with the compliment, but then immediately realizes he's acting like an idiot and tries to cover it up by clearing his throat. From Iruka's expression, it probably wasn't very convincing. The alpha stands up and opens his arms, feeling bullied and exhausted. "Am I free to go now, sensei?"

     Luckily, Iruka releases him without much more fuss and Kakashi flees as quickly as his pride will allow. Maybe he said more than he intended, but at least he didn't make a scene. Damn, pushy omega's.

     As he approaches his house, Kakashi can smell that Naruto is already inside. He plans to tell the blond about his run in with Iruka, but maybe make it sound like the Chunin was a bit more intimidating, or something...but he finds the blond sitting on his living room floor. Naruto's eyes are closed, and his arms are resting over his folded legs. The scene makes the alpha halt mid-step, both surprised and worried about disrupting the other's concentration.

     He can feel that the omega is deep in meditation. It's obvious, considering his chakra is draped around his person, dense like a dome of protection. It's probably a defensive measure, so that Naruto could sense if anyone got too close to his body while he was focused inward. Clearly, the blond is comfortable and experienced with this level of meditation. It shouldn't surprise Kakashi, but he still finds himself marveling at the sight.

     Naruto is a master Toad-Sage, more skilled than Jiraiya ever managed, and of course there is his connection to the Sage of Sixth Paths. It makes sense that the omega would have a strong spiritual nature and be adept in meditation. Kakashi has just never seen the (usually loud, boisterous, knucklehead) blond do it.

     Not wanting to disturb the others meditation, Kakashi takes out one of his favorite novels and kicks back on the sofa.

XiiX

     Kurama is surprised when he senses Naruto slip inward, meeting him in the muted orange landscape that is his dwelling. They hadn't spoken in some time, both too stubborn to reconcile after their last disagreement. While the Jinchūriki and chakra beast agree on most things, there is one subject that remains sore: Naruto's weakness for Sasuke. Their last conversation, right after Naruto got sick with heat-fever and almost killed himself and a random alpha, ended badly. In short, Kurama wanted his host to take a different mate and Naruto wouldn't hear it.

     Of course, even though they hadn't had a proper conversation in months, that doesn't mean Kurama has been in the dark all this time. There was no way to totally blot him out, just as Naruto is also always aware of and linked to Kurama. So, naturally, the fox-demon knew all about Kakashi. He plans on mercilessly ribbing the blond about that.

      "Hey," Naruto says somewhat bashfully when he finds the tailed beast lounging in a mindscape of their own creation.

      Kurama is no longer sealed inside the blond but stays of his own choosing. With Naruto's help, they had created a new dwelling for him and the drab, wooden cell is no more. Now Kurama spends his days in fields and forests, under soft orange light and gentle winds. None of it is real, exactly, but it's maintained by Naruto's genuine love and respect. Even while the two were irritated with one another, this space remained vibrant. It's one of the reasons Kurama loved the young man so much. Even when Naruto was annoyed with him, his kindness never waned. Before Naruto, Kurama had only known humans to be fickle creatures with just enough compassion to get what they want and no more. By contrast, Naruto's ability for love and understanding seemed limitless.

     "Have you come to your senses, brat?" The fox sounds surly, but he tips his massive head toward Naruto and the blond hugs the side of his ferocious face. If the other tailed beasts saw him now, he would never hear the end of it.

      Naruto sighs. The fox has made no effort to hide his contempt for the last Uchiha. On one hand, Naruto understands. Kurama knows, better than anyone, how much heartache Sasuke has caused him. Kurama has been a part of Naruto, with him, each time Sasuke tried to kill him, every time Naruto cried himself to sleep, every time Naruto looked at his reflection and wondered why he wasn't enough.

      And, if anyone can hold a grudge, it's a chakra beast, apparently.

      On the other hand, Kurama can't comprehend romantic love and therefore remains unsympathetic to Naruto's feelings for Sasuke. The fox demon is a creature of pure chakra and doesn't really even have a gender. Kurama has accepted male pronouns because that's how Hagoromo Ōtsutsuki spoke of him, but literally the fox is neither male, nor female. He doesn't have a secondary gender (alpha, beta, omega), either. While he understands love, he can't quite wrap his head around the difference between the love he has for Hagoromo and Naruto, and how Naruto feels about Sasuke.

      Kurama also considers Naruto's inner omega to be an oddity, something his own nature and chakra can't relate to at all. It's probably one of the reasons his tailed beast chakra interfered with the suppressants. It also prevents Kurama from intervening during the blonde's heats—the fox can't heal a heat fever. Regardless, the fundamental differences between them made Naruto explaining his feelings increasingly difficult and it confused and frustrated them both.

     "I shouldn't have gone so long without talking to you, I'm sorry." Naruto admits and slides down the giant fox's side, resting against his ribs.

      Kurama looks sheepish, still surprised each time he snaps at the blond and Naruto simply returns with kindness. He drops his head between his paws, feeling a bit guilty now, himself. "It's fine. I could have said something, too. I know things have been...difficult."

      The omega snorts. "Yeah, well, what else is new?"

      "You had me worried for a while, kit." The fox demon may not understand the omega's gender, but he was very much aware of Naruto's health and when it's compromised. There is very little the chakra beast can't heal, but the omega's heat-fevers are alien to him. He's helpless to heal his host, and it scares Kurama to think Naruto might die from sheer stubbornness.

      The blond sighs, "yea, I know. I'm sorry." He looks ups at the fox-demon and grins. "I've missed talking to you, you know?"

      Kurama blushes and grumbles, embarrassed by the human's straight forwardness, but he missed their chats, too. They talk for some time, though it's difficult to say for how long. Time moves differently within this place, but it feels like a few hours. They talk about the things Kurama had witnessed over the past few months and about the other tailed beasts, who are able to check in through Naruto. Eventually the fox brings up Kakashi.

     "It took you long enough to admit you enjoy your time with the White Fang," the fox teases.

      Naruto sputters and flails against Kurama's side. "First, the White Fang is his dad."

      "They look the same though," Kurama points out cluelessly, as if all humans with silver hair should have the same name.

      The blond opens his mouth to ask how the fox would even know that but stops. He realizes Kurama probably saw Hatake Sakumo through his mother's eyes years ago when Kakashi was still a child. He shakes his head, lamenting the strangeness that is his life. "And two, could you not talk like that? It's weird," his face is crimson.

      "What?" Kurama shrugs in an oddly human way. "Hatake keeps your silly omega-parts from killing you. That's a good thing."

     "Oh my god," Naruto groans in horror. "Don't ever say 'omega parts', again. Ever." It's like talking to an out of touch parent trying to use slang.

      The fox wrinkles his brow, clearly not understanding what he said wrong, but ultimately decides it's not important. He'd much rather get back to teasing his human host. "But you do you like Hatake, don't you?" The demon isn't going to let this go. He's seen them together, after all. "It looks like you enjoy it. He looks like he enjoys it, too—"

      Naruto shouts and claws at his own face. "Ga, yes, you stupid fox! I...it's not so bad, I guess."

       Kurama laughs so hard his ribs shake and Naruto bounces against his heaving side. "You guess? Ha, I feel like I should send Hatake flowers, and he's not even bedding me."

       "Would you shut up," Naruto yells and swats at the fox behind him. Kurama only laughs harder. "You're so embarrassing," he grumbles and crosses his arms.

      "I'm just happy you've found someone who hasn't tried to kill you," the fox huffs.

      "Not this again," Naruto groans and flops back against Kurama's fur. "I didn't come here to fight."

      "I don't understand, kit. You and your omega are very confusing." Another strange thing, Kurama can... hear Naruto's inner omega. The chakra beast has tried to describe it before, but the omega can't talk with words. Kurama is only able to sense impressions, desires, impulses.

      Naruto's omega is essentially a part of his subconscious. It's that part of his identity that nature has devoted to attracting a mate, sex, producing young, protecting his pack and family and pups. It's not a separate being, like Kurama is, but it exists under the surface like Naruto's chakra. Sometimes, Naruto thinks it's a miracle he's not totally insane, considering how many moving parts his identity has at any given moment.

      "I know Hatake makes you happy," Kurama continues. He's trying to make sense of Naruto's feelings, not realizing that the blond hasn't sorted them out yet, either. "Your omega likes him, too. Why don't you love him like you love the Uchiha?"

      Naruto stops breathing for half a second.

      That's a really reasonable question...the likes of which Kurama has inquired about in the past. The demon has many questions about humanity and relationships. He has asked for explanations on how love varies between a friend and a lover and a parent and a child. Naruto should have an answer; he should be able to explain why he doesn't love Kakashi like he loves Sasuke, but he can't.

     "It's...complicated," the blond croaks out but his voice sounds weird to his own ears.

     "Will you go back to the Uchiha when he returns?" Kurama's voice is spitting vitriol.

     Naruto is still recovering from his previous realization, though, and doesn't notice Kurama's tone. "Uh...Kakashi said he wouldn't come between us," he says it softly, like he just remembered that promise.

     The fox demon sighs in frustration. "Hasn't that already happened, though?" He sounds annoyed as he rubs one paw over his head, trying to understand his human and his feelings. "This is confusing. Your omega has stopped calling for Sasuke. I thought that meant you would stay with Hatake?"

    "What?"

     Kurama cocks his head, still looking puzzled. "During your heats, your omega would..." he paused, trying to find the right words. The fox could never give an exact translation, as Naruto's inner omega was pure instinct and subconscious, but Kurama got the gist, most of the time. "It would call out for the Uchiha? It was scared, I think...probably because of the fevers. It doesn't do that, anymore. It calls to Hatake."

     Naruto doesn't say anything. He grips his chest, pushing into the place where he would have a scar from Sasuke tearing through him years ago if Kurama hadn't healed it. He holds his marked palm there, rather than his heart, because this is where he aches the most when he thinks about his soulmate. He used to think back on that day as proof—nothing could ever cleave them apart. That day was evidence, like the mark on his palm and his missing arm and the phantom ache in his chest. These things could never die, they would always be real and true. He's meant to be with Sasuke because none of those other things were able to break their bond.

     But his omega...

     He remembers his first few heats after the suppressants stopped working. It was hell. On the days leading up to his heat his omega would pace and whine and paw at his chest like it was trying to get out. Even while he slept, he could feel distress in his inner beast.

     When he eventually went to Kakashi, just to ease the pain and keep his head on straight, his omega still longed for Sasuke. His palm burned and his omega would howl. Even after Kakashi knotted him and the fever waned, something wasn't right. His omega was left weak, jilted. He dreamed about Sasuke, missed him every day.... then, he started dreaming about Kakashi.

     "Naruto?" The fox nudges the small human with his snout. "Are you alright?"

     "No," he answers. "I mean, I don't know. I'm...really confused." Naruto pulls his knees up and cradles his head against them. How did he not notice? How could this even happen?

     Kurama snarls, lips pulling up over his ungodly huge teeth. "He hurts you even when he isn't here." He's talking about Sasuke, thinking somehow the Uchiha is responsible for the blonde's current misery.

     Naruto laughs, "I think this time it's on me, actually."

     "Feh!" The fox disagrees and several of his many tails flick irritably. "It's probably still his fault." He looks down at his Jinchūriki, hoping to get a rise out of Naruto. The young man is still hiding his face, grinding his palms into his eyes.

      The sight makes Kurama's stomach drop. He's not very good at comforting; usually it's Naruto who does that...but he can't just do nothing. "I know I don't understand...but I've seen your heart, kit. You are good and fair and kind. Whatever the problem is, you will solve it. You always do."

      The blond sniffs, still hiding his face, but pulls himself together a second later. He rears his head back and leans against Kurama's side. When he looks up and to the right he's face-to-face with the fox-demon. He sees one large, red, eye that's gone gentle with concern. "Thanks, Kurama. That was really nice of you."

       The fox balks, now embarrassed with himself for being so soft. "Now who's the embarrassing one," he grumbles and looks away.

     Naruto laughs and pulls one of the foxes ears. It makes Kurama blush and Naruto laughs at that, too. He stops laughing, though, because he can feel Kakashi's chakra signature around his physical body.

      "Ah, I should go," he says apologetically. "I'll visit again, soon, pal."

      "Hmm," the fox grins like the devil himself. He, too, is aware of the alpha's presence. "Sure, get back to your alpha and tell Hatake he's got my blessings."

      Naruto rolls his eyes at Kurama, but when he comes out of his meditation his face is warm with a blush and...wet.

      "Are you alright?" Kakashi's masked face is hovering a few inches away.

      The omega touches his cheek, realizing he cried in the physical world while he was having it out with Kurama during his meditation. Well. That's embarrassing.

      It also reminds him what, exactly, got him so upset.

      Is he falling for Kakashi?

      "Naruto?" The alpha calls again, seconds from shaking the blonde's shoulders. The spaced-out expression and big, wet eyes have Kakashi worried. He had planned on leaving Naruto to meditate, but the scent of saline got his attention. Seeing Naruto keep a neutral expression with closed eyes while tears poured down his face had been startling. "You in there, kiddo?"

     That snaps him out of it; Kakashi hasn't called him kiddo in a hot minute. It makes him think of simpler times, when the elder ninja was just his pack alpha and not his... yeah. Naruto can't deal with that right now.

      "I'm fine!" He announced suddenly and Kakashi reels back slightly at the outburst. "Just, uh, talking to Kurama. It had been awhile."

      The silver-haired alpha sits back on his haunches, now across from Naruto on the floor. "Huh," he wouldn't have pegged the fox as a conversationalist. His only experience with the Nine-Tails had been 20 years ago the night Naruto was born. It wasn't exactly a happy memory or a positive impression. According to Naruto, the fox is a reformed citizen, but the idea of talking to it is still bizarre to Kakashi. "...how, er...is he?"

      Naruto laughs, knowing Kurama is privy to this conversation and probably getting a kick out of it. "He's fine..." he pauses, thinking of how to phrase this and bites his lip. "He has opinions about everything these days."

      "Oh," Kakashi says absently and then his eyebrows jump up. "Oh," he adds with more meaning. The damn fox is a part of Naruto! Holy shit, how did he forget that detail?

     "Ah, yeah," Naruto winces and rubs the back of his head. He had long ago made peace with the fact that he would have no privacy from Kurama. It was awkward, to think of all the things the fox is a witness to, but it can't be helped. "Sorry, I know that's weird," he apologizes and watches his former teacher come to terms. Maybe only a section of Kakashi's face is visible, but Naruto can still see the abject horror flash over his features as the realization sets in. Yes, Kurama has seen your face, dick, and everything between.

      The alpha coughs, "should I be concerned?" Kakashi's never exactly met the parents or anything remotely close to that but this is a whole new level of awkward.

     "Oh," Naruto straightens up. "No, he uh.... actually, likes you?" Kurama is downright smitten with Kakashi, in his own way, but Naruto isn't about to admit that. "He ah, also said you look like your dad.... which was really fucking weird considering the context."

     Kakashi blinks, trying to wrap his head around that. Kurama is the biggest fucking voyeur in the Leaf Village, apparently. "Your life is really strange, huh?"

     Naruto snorts, "yeah, well, it's kinda your life now, too."

XiiX

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.5K 229 8
follow dae, who is the researcher for the Strawhat Pirates. oc x one piece(live action) ( editing / discontinued )
98.4K 4.6K 17
After spending a majority of his childhood alone, Naruto had never had much experience with love or crushes, except of course, Sakura. But, the feeli...
252K 7.7K 37
One night, Naruto is raped, and he's had enough of life in Konoha. Find out what devistating news will follow, and how is the one responsible for pic...
36.1K 2K 20
He was alone in the hospital. Well, he wasn't completely alone. He had his demons that spat in his ears but otherwise he was alone in this moment of...