The Apology Part II

This work is for people who are 18+ If you are under the age of 18 please do not read. Do not vote. Do not comment. Underage users will be reported. 

XiiX

     It's the end of the week and Kakashi is itching to get out of the office. He's caught Naruto staring at him more than once today and isn't that unnerving. Even if the omega's indiscriminate hostility seemed to be waning, Kakashi doesn't want to press his luck. As far as the alpha is concerned Naruto is a powder keg and Kakashi—Hokage or not—treads lightly at all times.

     The Copy-nin gathers his things and starts heading toward the door. "Don't stay here too late, you two." He says as he passes Shikamaru and Naruto, who are both going through stacks of files on the floor.

     Shikamaru elbows the blond and the two have a not-so-discreet glaring match as the Hokage walks by. Kakashi pretends not to notice and moves a little faster.

     He's not fast enough, though, because Naruto jumps up and gets between him and the door. "Hey, uh," he stammers loudly and Shikamaru rolls his eyes in the background. "Can I walk you out?"

     "Huh?" The alpha blinks and fights the urge to look over his shoulder. Surely, the volatile omega isn't talking to him. Naruto hasn't had a nice thing to say to him in months, let alone had any interest in being near him more than necessary.

     The younger ninja frowns. "I thought we could talk, maybe. But if you're busy..." His tone has gone a bit hard and alarm bells are going off in Kakashi's head.

     The Hokage looks across the room for help. Shikamaru is doing everything in his power to ignore them. In fact, the beta literally turns his back on them and walks away. Traitor. "Ah, no. I don't have plans. Did you...erm, now?" So smooth, Scarecrow.

     Naruto seems to soften a bit, though. "Yeah, if that's alright? We can grab some takeout on the way to your place."

     The alpha is nothing short of baffled. Naruto's next heat cycle wasn't for another three and a half weeks. There's no reason he should be asking to spend alone time with Kakashi, especially on a Friday night. Did something happen? Is his cycle out of sync for some reason? Or, does Naruto need to talk to him about something else?

     Hell, could the omega be pregnant? Kakashi sways a bit and catches himself on a nearby bookshelf.

     "Kakashi?" Naruto asks, looking confused. "You alright?"

     No, absolutely not, he thinks hysterically. "Fine, just a bit hungry." He grins but feels half sick. "Lead the way."

     Naruto gives him a weary glance but must decide to drop it. He asks about what food they should get and talks enough for the both of them.

     Kakashi let's his former student ramble while they walk through the city. It helps calm his nerves, and he reflects on the past few days. Naruto's mood hasn't been terrible since right after his last heat over a week ago. Lately, things have been almost...pleasant?

     Kakashi could nearly pretend they were how they always had been: friends, equals now, and shinobi who had been to hell and back. He considered Naruto one of his closest friends, and he appreciated that the blond never pulled his punches. He missed the effortless comradery and even having a sliver of that back has been nice. Only, even if things have been better recently, it will never be like it used to, not for Kakashi.

     The alpha can't pretend not to know what it's like to see Naruto fall apart, what he tastes like, what he looks like with a private, indignant blush on his face. These things have crept into his chest and eclipsed his heart, shifting his feelings of friendship into something deeper. It makes his inner alpha eager to please and Kakashi is constantly fighting his instincts. He wants to scent the blond and put every alpha that looks at him twice through a wall. It's not like Naruto even needs the protection, but his inner alpha hasn't got the memo. And, that's the problem, really. His alpha instincts might press Kakashi to provide and protect and please, but Naruto has already rejected him. One day Sasuke will return, and Naruto will never come to Kakashi again.